Sharp LC-45 OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD Part 2: FAQ/ Clayface issue... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1318 Old 06-30-2005, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
beboram - what was the green blotching you were talking about?

Tonight, I grabbed that nokia monitor program to see if I have clay face. I looked at it on my 1080 destop and couldn't see anything. The right edge of the 2nd bar looked a little bright on the side, but could be my eyes (this is normal due to retina's edge detection, I believe).

I then put it in 1024x768 and plugged it in my AVC. The bars kindof semed to have two long rectangles on the side, but still, nothing that evident. The edge in coffeefueled's pic seems blurry. Is that what I should be looking for? I see nothing even close to that.

So, I started to play around with contrast and brightness. I couldn't get anything alarming to happen. Then, al of the sudden, I saw one of the middle gray bars had green snow on it. ??? Maybe this is because of the scaling up to 1280 x 1024?? anyways, I played around and at contrast +19 and I think +20, this exists. No other contrast settings did it exist. Brightess didnt matter much, but green could make it better or worse. It wasn't even symmetric on the bar, it was on the right edge, but a few pixes from the left.

Anyway, I went back to 1080 and I noticed the same effect on my background. It's one of those free high res ones. It is an eagle ad parts of its head, beak and shoulders were glistening (snowy) in green pixels. The rest of the image doesnt do this (but is still a little distorted due to scaling)

Anyways, looks like an interesting artifact with the scaler. Unless "clay face" is related to this, I do not think I have it.. as far as I can tell

jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1318 Old 06-30-2005, 03:04 AM

I forgot, I took pics of this, but don't have anywhere to host...
post #93 of 1318 Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With clayface, the low end grayscale rectangles look more like raytraced cylinders where the center is bright and the sides are less bright. It is a quite obvious effect, nothing you need to strain to see.
post #94 of 1318 Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Jeremy, look at trees. If you can perfectly see the leaves you don't have clayface. If you see a blurry green you got it.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #95 of 1318 Old 07-01-2005, 02:08 PM

I've recently purchased a sharp LC-45GD1E (the UK equivalent to the one with the separate AVC) and it's bad news, folks.

It's full on Clayface all round and I'm a less than happy bunny.

So far Sharp UK have seen the set and have taken away the media box but not the panel itself (for some reason). They are now telling me that it is "performing to specification" and that it is "functioning correctly".

My response to this is that they had better come back and take another look at the panel because if the AVC is indeed "functioning correctly" then the panel certainly isn't. You would have to be a blind man not to see that the picture is wrong.

During the initial examination the technician entered the service menu for the panel and used this pull up series of internally generated test cards and used this to rule out the panel as the problem. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think because to my mind all this proves is that the panel can display internally generated test cards. It says nothing about how the input signals coming up the cables from the AVC are being read, decoded and processed properly being displayed.

Following a less than productive telephone conversation with a Sharp UK representative who seem completely unaware of the problem and didn't know anything about firmware issues and potential fixes I've sent them a very long and detailed email. This email contains numerous links to these treads as back up to prove that the problem is real, that I'm not mad, that Sharp know about it and that a solution exists.

Thank God for AVS !

Any extra information that you guys can supply to help me kick some butt at Sharp UK would be greatly appreciated. I swear, the first instinct of these so-called service departments is to try and fob the customer off with "but it's meant to be like that" and hope that the problem will go away.

By the way, internet searches have shown that the Clayface issue has also been reported on Australian 45" Aquos units (separate AVC). So that's three separate territories (North America, Europe and Australia) all with the same problem.

Does anyone know what the Japanese for "Clayface" is? We could go for the set!

Working on the assumption that the same panel is supplied in all regions and that only the AVC is varied to suit the local requirements I would conclude that the actual panel itself is the most likely culprit. After all, the three different AVC's will require different software. To mess up once with the panel software is one thing, but to do it three separate times with the AVC software seems a bit careless
post #96 of 1318 Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 AM

Hi all, I 've been following the sharp 45" thread...and I thought that to watch 1080p you need a GX model with a good video card to drive it using some swap trick someone mentioned.

but I wonder into sharp's AQUOS offical website today and was shocked to see it keeps advertising that it can do 1080p, without mentioning about the swap trick!

"...it displays all content in full HD spec (1080p) resolution, the highest of the DTV resolutions"

"Wide XGA (1920 x 1080) Resolution

displays HDTV program images in 1080p and is compatible with off-air (terrestrial), cable and satellite HDTV broadcasts (Contact your local cable or satellite service provider for available HDTV programming)"

Is this false advertisment? or did I miss something?
post #97 of 1318 Old 07-05-2005, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecco View Post

Hi all, I 've been following the sharp 45" thread...and I thought that to watch 1080p you need a GX model with a good video card to drive it using some swap trick someone mentioned.

but I wonder into sharp's AQUOS offical website today and was shocked to see it keeps advertising that it can do 1080p, without mentioning about the swap trick!

"...it displays all content in full HD spec (1080p) resolution, the highest of the DTV resolutions"[/i]

Is this false advertisment? or did I miss something?

I don't think there is anything in the ad that is false: it DOES display 1080p

what Sharp does not tell you is the sets do not accept 1080p signals directly: the max they accept is 1080i and the Sharp processor sends 1080p to the panel

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #98 of 1318 Old 07-05-2005, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayface-UK View Post

Working on the assumption that the same panel is supplied in all regions and that only the AVC is varied to suit the local requirements I would conclude that the actual panel itself is the most likely culprit. After all, the three different AVC's will require different software. To mess up once with the panel software is one thing, but to do it three separate times with the AVC software seems a bit careless

If they are well trained firmware programmers working on the assumption of modular and portable code, it is quite likely the same problem code is being reused in multiple AVCs.

I think if you introduce terms like clayface, you confuse them. Look at the 4th or 5th post in this thread. There is a link to a big summary page of information on the clayface issue. In there, there are objective tests you can run that prove the AVC/Panel has a problem. In particular the vertical grayscale bar test proves very objectively the panel is not displaying low end grayscale correctly. The low end grayscale bar is *distorted* while the other brighter bars are correct. There is no arguing that this is something wrong with the AVC/Panel. There are also references to DVD calibration disks which show the same problem. I know Sharp US and Sharp Japan are aware of the problem, but that doesn't mean Sharp EU is aware of the problem.
post #99 of 1318 Old 07-05-2005, 08:28 PM

FYI:

PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT ON

LC45GD6U and LC45GD4U manufactured between December 2004 and April 2005

It was recently determined that LC45GD6U and LC45GD4U models manufactured from December 2004 through April 2005 included a version of firmware that did not meet Sharp's standards resulting in performance below the capabilities of this unit. In particular, these models lacked a level of detail that is consistent with other Aquos models. I have been told by Sharp service that the new version of firmware will make a significant improvement to the picture quality and level of detail on these sets.

Below are instructions that will guide you through the process and provide more information concerning this matter.

HOW TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM

Serial number Units that require the firmware upgrade will contain serial #s beginning with these numbers: 412, 501, 502, 503, or 504. The first digit is the year and the second two digits indicate the month the unit was manufactured.

412 = Year 2004 and month is December (12)

HOW TO IDENTIFY UNITS THAT HAVE RECEIVED THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Labels on Carton Below are two ways cartons may be marked to identify units that already meet standards and include the updated firmware:

Black dot near the serial number on the carton located near the serial number (fixed in US)

OR

Letter Z located on the carton next to the serial number (fixed in Japan)

Units with either of these markings on the box have received the latest version of the firmware and meet the performance standards.

HOW TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM

For CONSUMERS that need the firmware upgrade:

Call 1-800-BE-SHARP

A case number will be assigned and an authorized servicer will come to the customer's home and perform the software upgrade. Consumers will need to provide Sharp with the model # and serial# of the unit during the call.
post #100 of 1318 Old 07-05-2005, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
This weekend I was in Vegas and stopped by the Sony Qualia store. They had the 004 and 006. Neither can accept a 1080p source. The 005 is coming out in September and it will NOT accept a 1080p source either. The cost will be $12K+.

So I am very happy with my decision again in purchasing the GX model.

BTW, they had a prototype Blue Ray HD-DVD player there and they said max output will be 1080i.

Abbas
post #101 of 1318 Old 07-06-2005, 10:13 PM

Hi JeremyS,
I had clayface on my lc45gd4u and swapped it out for an lc45gx6u which doesn't...
You're in San Diego, right? The quick way to tell is tune to the Padres HD feed. If they players' faces (esp. their necks) look rubbery... you've got clayface. If they look 'natural' (i.e. you can see detail) then all is well.

Other things... I can confirm what other people were telling me...the gx6 IS a nicer unit on several fronts (especially now that they're at price parity rather than $1k more)... thinner, pc-card slot in a wife-reachable location, nice not to have to mess around with the cables once you've mounted it on the wall etc... and I haven't even tried the 1920x1280 pc display thing yet.

Random other info that I wanted to share in case anyone is thinking of buying:-

Purchase from: RU Geekman if you want someone that knows what they're talking about (but he didn't take Amex at the time which was a showstopper for me), J&R in new york were awesome for overall purchase experience and A1 customer service (I returned my unit via them; they didn't carry the GX unit though), Abe's of Maine (carried the GX, low price, rip-off shipping, tried to push the warranty too hard, so-so experience, but unit came through ok)

paul
post #102 of 1318 Old 07-07-2005, 12:25 AM

At this point, I am pretty sure I don't have clayface. I use the test patterns and didn't see it. I can see details in faces. Padres games look good (closeups of faces show plenty of stubble). Let's put it this way, there isn't a situation where I (or anyone at my place) is saying "what's wrong with their faces?".
post #103 of 1318 Old 07-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

I think if you introduce terms like clayface, you confuse them. Look at the 4th or 5th post in this thread. There is a link to a big summary page of information on the clayface issue. In there, there are objective tests you can run that prove the AVC/Panel has a problem. In particular the vertical grayscale bar test proves very objectively the panel is not displaying low end grayscale correctly. The low end grayscale bar is *distorted* while the other brighter bars are correct. There is no arguing that this is something wrong with the AVC/Panel. There are also references to DVD calibration disks which show the same problem. I know Sharp US and Sharp Japan are aware of the problem, but that doesn't mean Sharp EU is aware of the problem.

Since that last post I have a bit of "progress" with Sharp or more correctly "Sharpserv". It turns out that in the UK the servicing of Sharp products is carried out by an entirely separate company that aren't part of Sharp (despite the name).

Anyway, they have now admitted that there might be a problem and are passing it up the line to Sharp proper to see if they can come up with a solution. The thing that wound me up was the fact that it took three weeks, ten minutes of "gentle persuasion" by telephone and a very long and detailed email (complete with pictures) before we got this far.

And all this was AFTER a visit by two of their technicians when I demontrated the problem using TV pictures, DVDs and PC input and this included the Pluge test card from the D.V.E. disc. So far they have seemed most of their time trying to tell me that the display is "functioning correctly" and trying to give me the brush off rather than actually try to identify the problem and fix it.

I know that clayface isn't necessarily the best term, but it does sum up one of the most noticable manifestations of the problem. And it rolls off the tongue a bit more easily than "low end greyscale distortion effect". My epic email did include numerous links to this thread to back up the argument.

Beefchopper:

Very interesting information in your post regarding serial numbers. Is this "official" Sharp information ?

Both my screen and AVC have 504 serial numbers so that's me completely knackered !
post #104 of 1318 Old 07-08-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayface-UK View Post

Beefchopper:

Very interesting information in your post regarding serial numbers. Is this "official" Sharp information ?

Both my screen and AVC have 504 serial numbers so that's me completely knackered !

As far as I know the answer to that is yes. I got that from a Sharp dealer who was sent that bulletin directly from Sharp. I should add that he is in the US so it is possible that it might not apply to sets sold in other countries although I think that it probably does.
post #105 of 1318 Old 07-09-2005, 03:22 AM

Thanks for that Beefchopper.

I think that I have gathered more than enough information to prove that Sharp are fully aware of the clayface/grey scale problems.

If Sharp in the USA are admitting the problem is real it doesn't leave Sharp in the UK a leg to stand on.

I shall continue to push for a fix or a replacement unit and if they can't manage that I will be demanding my money back.
post #106 of 1318 Old 07-10-2005, 09:00 PM

I have read through this post, and have been reading not so good things about this set, as far as the clay issue is concerned, and so on.... I would like some feedback on what i should do, If the problem has been fixed, with the current gd6u's being manufactured. i am looking for quality, but i also like the look of the gd6u, like the darker gray, and speakers mounted on the bottom, a response asap from ppl with knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thank you.....
post #107 of 1318 Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM

My GD4U got the firmware upgrade two weeks ago. I forgot to ask the tech about the version number. But I saw it flash on the screen while he was working. I cannot find the menu item that shows the version - where is it?

BTW, the clay face issue is resolved - the picture quality is very good now on HD signals but feels like it could be slightly more sharp. On regular sat signals like MSNBC the crawl line of the stock quotes looks slightly fuzzy it starts fuzzy at the right gets fuzzier in the middle and gets to the same fuzzines as it started as it exist on the left. On the DVE test signals in the covergence pattern it seems to have a slight fuzziness on the right side and the bottom of the + in the middle. On the vertical black lines on grey background the left edge is ruler straight and sharp while the right side seem to have a slightly fuzzy edge akin to a chinese ink drawing on hand made paper. How do I sharpen these up?
post #108 of 1318 Old 07-20-2005, 09:26 PM

HI Guys,
i'm new to the forum and have joined because of a similar problem that we face here.

THe 45" model with separate box and bottom speaker is called LC45G1M in singapore and malaysia.

i bought mine about 2 weeks ago.

singapore does not have HDTV on cable. the signals are analogue.

my 45" displayed very prominent clayfacing on both regular cable as well as on DVD. Watching the british open golf last week gave everyone a headache as the greens and the fairways appeared as a green blotch. faces looked like one they were done by those makeup artists at the funeral parlour. there was no detail in the images. worse than my bro-in-laws low-end plasma tv.

I called my supplier who promptly sent 2 technicians by with hi end component cables. the component cables did alot to increasing the 3d depth and clarity, but did not resolve the clayface issue.

2 days later, the director of my supply shop, his 2 technicians and 3 other senior engineers from sharp singapore came by the place.
they brought a HD DVD player imported from Japan, the expensive interconnects, another 45" panel with box and HD DVDs.

THe extensive tests showed little difference in changing AVC, changing to the new panel, watching thru HD DVD player with HD disc with both panels and boxes in various combinations.
They acknowledged that the clayfacing was not acceptable, but one sharp engineer did say that the images tend to improve as the panel "burned in". ( i didn't buy that as he could not guarantee how long burn-in time is needed, and what if after 'burn-in' it still shows the problem. i also asked why if that was the case, sharp didn't burn-in for us, or tell us earlier in the purchase to manage our expectations as it was their flagship TV and cost us about US$8 grand here.)

My supplier decided to take back the TV to his shop at his own expense, and sharp did not even offer to take the set back from him. the whole entourage of 6 men left my house with 2 huge panel boxes and 2 medium AVC boxes. I'm back to my 29" CRT and my son is happier now that he can see the detail of ernie and berts face and the corrugations on cookie monster's cookies.

now i'm stuck with a reflective mini crt screen. My supplier says he hopes i will do business with him again....of course. He honours his word, unlike many nowzadays! his suggestion was to look at the 40+" pioneer plasma with non reflective screen- any suggestions?
post #109 of 1318 Old 07-20-2005, 10:36 PM

man, that is a bummer. I think a few posts back there is mention of serial number and producion dates for clayface. I'd take with a grain of salt, but it might help.

One thing to do is buy from a shop and have them setup the TV before you take it out. I did this for my 35" sony crt years ago.
post #110 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremys View Post

man, that is a bummer. I think a few posts back there is mention of serial number and producion dates for clayface. I'd take with a grain of salt, but it might help.

One thing to do is buy from a shop and have them setup the TV before you take it out. I did this for my 35" sony crt years ago.

Those serial #s (Sharp's serial #s start with the production month and year) are for US models and are not specific serial #s for units, just the prefixes for the production months where the problem was found. Based on 2 reports now, it seems the clayface problem has migrated to the separate AVC units in the overseas market. I agree it is huge bummer.

loctorwabbit, if you read the clayface posts here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5520490

You will think it is Deja Vu, I know I did when I read your post. The Sharp looks like night and day difference when you watch a unit w/o clayface. In US we've only seen the problem on the 45". We've never seen on 37" or smaller. You might want to try 37" and see how that looks.

The burn-in suggestion is just a general suggestion from an technician grasping at straws to explain how your display can look so bad. I think they feel bad too, because it looks like total crap.

Quality cables and quality HD source is commonly the issue with PQ so it is good they took this route to narrow down the problem, but in this case it will make no difference. The clayface problem is there no matter what you put into the panel. The bright sections of the picture look great. Anything at the low end for any color will look like mush.

I know you don't have the unit anymore, but if you read through the summary thread above, there are objective ways to prove this is low end grayscale processing problem in the Sharp. In the US they came up with firmware fix and are distributing through service calls.

I think your dealer has done a great job supporting you, but I don't think he should be out any expense on this display. This is a Sharp manufacturing defect that has been acknowledged in the US with firmware fix. The same should happen in overseas market, but it may take some time.

Maybe someone like Mike53 can make a suggestion to corporate (or overseas counterparts) as the clayface problem really gives Sharp a bad name (and undeservedly so, because it is a defective unit, not operating to spec), especially on the flagship unit.

I know I was sorely disappointed and was going to give up on LCDs (since I'd been under the impression Sharps were the best) until I saw a unit w/o the clayface problem, then began a quest to find a non-clayface unit for myself.
post #111 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The "clayface" issue started here and was forwarded to corporate service from here... they acknowledged the issue and since then have issued a firmware upgrade fix. Their belief is that the issue is only with certain models and you have the range of serial numbers. Maybe the firmware upgarde, that is done through the SD memory card slot in the rear of the unit, is only for the US unit or NTSC/ATSC units.

I do know the President of UK so I can always drop him a note.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #112 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53 View Post

The "clayface" issue started here and was forwarded to corporate service from here... they acknowledged the issue and since then have issued a firmware upgrade fix. Their belief is that the issue is only with certain models and you have the range of serial numbers. Maybe the firmware upgarde, that is done through the SD memory card slot in the rear of the unit, is only for the US unit or NTSC/ATSC units.

I do know the President of UK so I can always drop him a note.

Mike,
I about to buy a Sharp LC-45GX6U and am a little concerned about this clayface issue. I would much rather identify the models, range of serial numbers and firmware version that supposedly fixes this problem before I make a purchase so I can specify a unit that should be trouble-free before buying it. I know that some of this information is buried in this thread in various places, but could you summarize it all in one place for us. Something like this:

Models Affected: LC-xxxx, LC-xxxxx, ...
Serial Numbers: xxxxx, xxxxx, xxxxx, ...
Firmware version that addresses the clayface issue: xxx.xx

Thanks for your continued support...it is one of the reasons that I have decided to go with a Sharp (tell your boss so you can get part of the commissions and get his support for your continued involvement in this forum).

thanks,
Murray
post #113 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

This is all I have:

You recently received an email with an attachment from XXXXXX of Sharp's SSG group, informing you of a firmware issue that is resident on all 45 D4's and D6's that were shipped from December 2004 through April 2005. The units shipped within this period of time have firmware version 3.05, which has been identified as not meeting the standards that SEC requires of picture quality. All units shipped prior to this timeframe had firmware version 3.03. All units shipped subsequent to this timeframe, as well as those units that we will upgrade, will utilize firmware version 3.09. Versions 3.03 and 3.09 both meet Sharp's standards for picture quality.

As XXX mentioned in his communication to all of you, SEC's goal is to perform these upgrades in the field. For end-users that may have purchased the affected units, they are encouraged to contact Sharp directly, and they will be provided with a solution for the firmware upgrade by an authorized servicer.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #114 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I just received my LC45GX6U today. My serial number starts with the dreaded 504 but I have the black dot to the left of the number...I guess I got lucky.

Thanks Beefchopper. Very informative summery.
post #115 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 PM

I just got my 45GD4U also with a black dot next to the 504 s/n. YIPPY!

Hope one or more of you Aquos expert won't mind a very basic question, but here goes...I have a DirecTV TiVo and DVD. The manual doesn't cover that config. I hooked my coax to the analog #1 in, as it was on my old set. It all works but I want to make sure I am getting all the great viewing available. No HD yet. Any of you kind folks wish to tell me if there is anything special I need to do that I haven't?

It doesn't appear I have the "clay" look. For standard DTV it looks pretty darn good. ANYTHING any of you would like to say (positive) will be appreciated. I was hoping to find a pictorial for the DTV w/DVD hook up, but no can find. Any tweaks welcome. There are more things to tinker with than I will ever use.

Thank you
post #116 of 1318 Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 PM

Gee thanks guys. MIke 53, i'll forward the thread onto Sharp-Roxy here in singapore and hope that they will do something about he problem.
The serial numbers are definitely different here, so if they can admit the fault and not blame it on the panel needing to 'burn in' etc, then they will live up to the reputation of having the best LCD panels in the world.
I echo SFhub's sentiments exactly in terms of dejavu and wanting sharp to 'restore their image' in both sense of the word. if i can find a 45 aquos with good images, i'll pounce on it immediately.
i had a look a the shop's 20" aquos on display yesterday, and it was miles better than the 45. I'll look at the 37 as recommended and keep you chaps updated on that too.

cheers guys for contributing to a very decent forum with no rude threads!

post #117 of 1318 Old 07-22-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I just received my LC45GX6U today. My serial number starts with the dreaded 504 but I have the black dot to the left of the number...I guess I got lucky.

Thanks Beefchopper. Very informative summery.

You're welcome.
post #118 of 1318 Old 07-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loctorwabbit View Post

HI Guys,
i'm new to the forum and have joined because of a similar problem that we face here.

THe 45" model with separate box and bottom speaker is called LC45G1M in singapore and malaysia.

i bought mine about 2 weeks ago.

singapore does not have HDTV on cable. the signals are analogue.

my 45" displayed very prominent clayfacing on both regular cable as well as on DVD. Watching the british open golf last week gave everyone a headache as the greens and the fairways appeared as a green blotch. faces looked like one they were done by those makeup artists at the funeral parlour. there was no detail in the images. worse than my bro-in-laws low-end plasma tv.

I called my supplier who promptly sent 2 technicians by with hi end component cables. the component cables did alot to increasing the 3d depth and clarity, but did not resolve the clayface issue.

2 days later, the director of my supply shop, his 2 technicians and 3 other senior engineers from sharp singapore came by the place.
they brought a HD DVD player imported from Japan, the expensive interconnects, another 45" panel with box and HD DVDs.

THe extensive tests showed little difference in changing AVC, changing to the new panel, watching thru HD DVD player with HD disc with both panels and boxes in various combinations.
They acknowledged that the clayfacing was not acceptable, but one sharp engineer did say that the images tend to improve as the panel "burned in". ( i didn't buy that as he could not guarantee how long burn-in time is needed, and what if after 'burn-in' it still shows the problem. i also asked why if that was the case, sharp didn't burn-in for us, or tell us earlier in the purchase to manage our expectations as it was their flagship TV and cost us about US$8 grand here.)

My supplier decided to take back the TV to his shop at his own expense, and sharp did not even offer to take the set back from him. the whole entourage of 6 men left my house with 2 huge panel boxes and 2 medium AVC boxes. I'm back to my 29" CRT and my son is happier now that he can see the detail of ernie and berts face and the corrugations on cookie monster's cookies.

now i'm stuck with a reflective mini crt screen. My supplier says he hopes i will do business with him again....of course. He honours his word, unlike many nowzadays! his suggestion was to look at the 40+" pioneer plasma with non reflective screen- any suggestions?

I must say that was very proactive and immediate on the part of the store and Sharp though they could not fix the problem. I am impressed.

Garbage in = Garbage out. The input material quality is extremely important. Based on my experience I think the Sharp is less forgiving of poor quality material than other display devices.

As for suggestions - I would suggest the JVC D-ILA display as an alternative.
post #119 of 1318 Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM

There is a very interesting thread developping on the avs Mac HTPC forum: it seems that one user has been able to display 1920x1080 from his powerbook onto a new LC-45GD4U. The further interesting bit is that he obtained it through the HDMI input, and not the DVI.

Chavel stipulates that maybe the new LC-45GD uses the new chip for hdmi (version 1.1).

Any thoughts?

Follow this link to the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=562860
post #120 of 1318 Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I bought the service manual for the LC-45GX6U: it is from a download service: cost was $25.00. The manual is over 300 pages and comes as a zipped 63 MB file

I also learned that there is a firmware update for this model that addresses some Cablecard issues where some channels do not show up: the update is accomplished by Sharp sending you an SD card (the service manual has 6 pages devoted to how to use an SD card for such updates)

Yesterday Comcast tried to arrange a conference call between Sharp, Comcast Headend, and Scientific Atlanta re Cablecard issues: however Sharp technical refused to participate because there was no service issue number assigned

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page