Sharp LC-45 OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD Part 2: FAQ/ Clayface issue... - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1318 Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy11 View Post

I have it in the vertical stand, at the moment, away from everything and it is working well. I just know that it's days are numbered and am trying to anticipate finding another solution BEFORE I'm stuck without my awesome display. I really love this thing!

I used to have mine vertical and noticed it got really hot: using it horizontally made a big difference (ran much cooler)

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1318 Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What is it about the AVC box that allows the display to turn on and stay on -- I know I can't do it with just my PC, even with the DVI detective? I guess if I know how that works, then I can find an alternative.... ?

I had (not currently hooked up since my HTPC died) what sounds like a similar setup as yours. HTPC connected to a a DVI Detective then connected to Zektor DVI switch. The output from my Sharp AVC was connected to another DVI input on the DVI switch. I have one of the older DVI Detectives that you can't take out the chip after setting it for the EDID and I would have to do the learn procedure on the DVI Detective every month or so. But when it was working, I had no problems turning my TV on with the Zektor DVI switch set to the HTPC input as long as the HTPC's resolution was 1920x1080 60p...you wouldn't be able to use the 1024x768 resolution that you like for web browsing since the panel does not accept this resolution directly.

So in theory, you should be able to view your HTPC output directly on the sharp panel. Also, there is no reason why an HDMI-DVI adapater should degrade your signal. Maybe you got a bad one or have a loose connection.

As another poster mentioned, you probably will need to get a video scaler if your AVC box dies completely and you want to be able to use sources other than your HTPC.

Good luck!

Murray
post #1293 of 1318 Old 12-18-2008, 11:49 AM

I haven't tried keeping my HTPC at the 1080p setting and turning on the TV... that would be a good thing to attempt. I can always switch to 1024 after getting a picture, right? It's interesting that I can switch over to the HTPC with no issue and even reboot the machine and watch all the BIOS screens after I turn the set on with the AVC unit.
post #1294 of 1318 Old 12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't tried keeping my HTPC at the 1080p setting and turning on the TV... that would be a good thing to attempt. I can always switch to 1024 after getting a picture, right? It's interesting that I can switch over to the HTPC with no issue and even reboot the machine and watch all the BIOS screens after I turn the set on with the AVC unit.

The panel will only accept 1080p, so if the HTPC is connected directly (or through a switch) to the panel, you will not be able to view any other resolution such as 1024. The AVC box scales everything to 1080p before sending it out to the panel. I'm suspecting that when you are currently browsing the web at 1024 you have the computer hooked up to the AVC, then the AVC is upconverting to to 1080p...is that correct?

Also for web browsing, you probably could get a 1024x768 experience by using 1920x1080 and setting the zoom on your browser to 140 to 160%.
post #1295 of 1318 Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM

My HTPC and AVC unit both go into a Gefen DVI switch. From there, the DVI is out to the TV directly. There is a detective in between the switch and the HTPC so that I don't lost he signla when I go back and forth to the AVC unit. The HTPC does not pass through the AVC unit in any way.
post #1296 of 1318 Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My HTPC and AVC unit both go into a Gefen DVI switch. From there, the DVI is out to the TV directly. There is a detective in between the switch and the HTPC so that I don't lost he signla when I go back and forth to the AVC unit. The HTPC does not pass through the AVC unit in any way.

I've been wondering what panel functions the avc controls and over which cables and what levels the pc can control over the dvi cable via the video card. When you go into the panel menu running through the AVC you can set the backlight and a myriad of other levels. When you toggle over to the PC all you can set is the contrast and brightness through the video card. I use an Colorvision colorimeter to set the contrast and brightness with the PC. There is an option for backlight in the software but since I can't control it with the NVIDIA control panel I assume that it is being set by the avc which doesn't know that it is not sending a video signal to the panel and therefore must be going over one of the other 2 cables from the avc to the panel. As far as I can tell when I check out the panel using displaymate or DVE bluray it seems to be properly calibrated and I can't see replacing this panel for a very long time in terms of the PQ that I'm getting out of it especially considering what this baby costs 4+ years ago.
post #1297 of 1318 Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 AM

Hello all i just bought a used sharp aquos LC30HV6U about a couple weeks ago ive been using it as pc monitor but its been hard on the eyes. I would like to know is there any work around to get it working as a T.V. it didnt come with the AVC box and ive been looking all over EBAY and the net and since its a old unit its hard to come by a AVC box. Any help would be helpful thanks
post #1298 of 1318 Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZIONS View Post

Hello all i just bought a used sharp aquos LC30HV6U about a couple weeks ago ive been using it as pc monitor but its been hard on the eyes. I would like to know is there any work around to get it working as a T.V. it didnt come with the AVC box and ive been looking all over EBAY and the net and since its a old unit its hard to come by a AVC box. Any help would be helpful thanks

Search in EBay for a video scaler that will output the resolution and frequency that your panel will accept. They can be quite expensive new, but you can usually find a used Extron in the $200 range.
Also check the classified section in AVS...there is usually one or two video scalers for sale.

Good luck.
Murray
post #1299 of 1318 Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 AM

Well its about that time , anyone have an AVC box (TU-GD10U-T) they are looking to get rid of?

Alternatively does anyone have experience with the GefenTv 1080p HDMI Scaler (w w w.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=5284) I was looking at it as an alternative to getting an AVC box. I need something cost efficient.

Does anyone know if it is bad if I put a true 1080p signal into one of these (Xbox, HTPC, Bluray)?

Anyone know of a reliable place to get these cheaper then direct from Gefen? A lot of these internet sites look mighty shady.

Thanks.
post #1300 of 1318 Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchan View Post

Well its about that time , anyone have an AVC box (TU-GD10U-T) they are looking to get rid of?

Alternatively does anyone have experience with the GefenTv 1080p HDMI Scaler (w w w.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=5284) I was looking at it as an alternative to getting an AVC box. I need something cost efficient.

Does anyone know if it is bad if I put a true 1080p signal into one of these (Xbox, HTPC, Bluray)?

Anyone know of a reliable place to get these cheaper then direct from Gefen? A lot of these internet sites look mighty shady.

Thanks.

This just showed up on eBay but doesn't light up when powered on.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-IS-SHARP-LC-4...3A1%7C294%3A50
post #1301 of 1318 Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I think that is the same person selling the supposedly working one. This looks like a $150 paperweight though
post #1302 of 1318 Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchan View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I think that is the same person selling the supposedly working one. This looks like a $150 paperweight though

Yeah, if it was cheaper, it might be worth taking a chance on, but for $150 I wouldn't do it.
post #1303 of 1318 Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
How much would a working TU-GD10U-T usually go for ?
post #1304 of 1318 Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 PM

It's been a while since I've seen this thread but my GX is still mostly OK--except the HDMI input on the AVC box is shot...

My wife accidentally reset all the color subsettings and it looks like crap. Does anyone have the correct color settings. I cannot find them anywhere on the site. It would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!
post #1305 of 1318 Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM

During a move I lost the system cable for a lc-45gx6u, the dfp-20, dvi, din cable. I have been using two dvi cables where one has DFP male to DVI female converters/adapters on both ends to no success. Unfortunately the converters/adapters are not transparently converting the signal and the avc and lcd turn off moments after they are powered on. The lcd powers on, the ccfl lights up, but no video signal or gui ever display on the lcd. Obviously the connection is not working and I am certain the equipment (lcd and avc) function 100%. Until now I did not care about the system cable because lcd was connected to my pc.

I have another lc-45gx6u system that I tested the 1st avc with successfully with a oem system cable. I have isolated with certainty the problem to the dfp-20 to dvi converter/adapter- it fails to function in my other lc-45gx6u system.

The current converters/adapters I purchased can be seen as the last item in this list named "DFP 20Pin Male to DVI Female Flat Panel Video Adaptor":
https://www.bestcableforless.com/sea...Video%20Cables

That same web page has some male to male DFP cables near the top of the list that I may exchange for my current malfunctioning item. However, besides these items on this site their are no other connections I can find on the web. Note even the oem system cable has a diminished supply, not that I purchase it anyway due to asking prices.

Has anyone tested successfully any DFP cables or converter/adapter that connects the lcd and avc?

UPDATE:
The "10ft Viewsonic DFP Flat Panel Video Cable" at the link above arrived today and functions with the lcd and avc. One caveat is that when making some menu or channel changes a small text message pops up on the middle of the lcd stating that the system is checking the system cable. Besides this intermittent message I am satisfied with this cable.
post #1306 of 1318 Old 11-09-2009, 07:29 AM

I've read up on this thread about those who have bypassed the AVC to get 1080p via the panel's DVI input.

Can anyone tell me whether I could replace the avc altogether with a DVDO Edge?

Does the AVC still need to be available for any reason?

Am I right in thinking I could get a sick amount of scaling inprovement since the Sharp AVC is ancient?

Thanks!
post #1307 of 1318 Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by durv View Post

I've read up on this thread about those who have bypassed the AVC to get 1080p via the panel's DVI input.

Yes, if video is the only thing you want out of the panel.

Quote:

Am I right in thinking I could get a sick amount of scaling improvement since the Sharp AVC is ancient?

Thanks!

I am bypassing my AVC and using the superior upscaling ability of my Onkyo 886 pre/pro. The only thing I am using my AVC for is RS-232 control. I still have the 2 non-DVI cables connected from my AVC to my panel. I have taken my speakers off, so I know that one of the cables is for audio, so I probably only need to have one of the cables connected, but it was easier to just leave them both connected. I am not sure if the AVC controls the IR control of the panel or not.

The only problem that I am seeing is I can no longer turn the panel off using RS-232.

Murray
post #1308 of 1318 Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Am I right in thinking I could get a sick amount of scaling inprovement since the Sharp AVC is ancient?

Thanks!

I no longer have my Sharp GX, but I had mine hooked up with a DVDO VP50 and didn't have the AVC box connected at all. And yes, the picture was night and day difference.
post #1309 of 1318 Old 11-25-2009, 02:52 AM

Thanks for your help. Now have replaced AVC with DVDO Edge, got a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K and some Energy Take 7.1 speakers (2x TWR plus 5.1 classic). I think my lcd has a couple more years in it now, and I think the Edge will be useful for some time to come. It really makes a huge difference versus the 1-bit scaler in the AVC. I really cannot believe what an improvement the Edge makes on my HTPC content, including netflix streaming.

Again, thanks.
post #1310 of 1318 Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 AM

durv (or anyone else who may be able to help)

Have you tried connecting the AVC box into one of the Edge's inputs?

When I try to put Edge "between" AVC and panel the video drops out every couple of seconds. I would prefer to use the AVC box to watch TV.

I don't know if my DVDO edge is defective or not properly setup.
post #1311 of 1318 Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Are you sure you have the DVI connection set to "pc mode" instead of "video mode?" You can only apply this when the AVC is connected directly to the screen. Thereafter, moving to the Edge was as easy as pretending the AVC never existed. The Edge negotioated modes with the panel just fine for me.
post #1312 of 1318 Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 AM

Ah thanks, I had thought I tried every setup change including that one this week end - I'll try that tonight and report back.
post #1313 of 1318 Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Sorry durv, I do not think I was clear. I don't have a PC hooked up to my system. I am planning on using the PS3 Blu-ray player to provide 1080p content thru the DVDO edge.

Basically, I disconnected the display output-1 connection between the panel and the AVC box. Like your setup, I ran a HDMI/DVI cable from the DVDO edge video/audio output to the panel's DVI cable. To get the AVC back involved I ran a DVI/HMDI cable from the AVC's display output-1 connector to the HDMI In 1 connector on the DVDO edge. I left display output 2 and 3 connected.

If I fix the output to 1080p 60Hz on the DVDO edge prior to moving the cables I am able to get 1080p on the panel. Unfortunately, it seems to have trouble locking onto the signal. When the picture is being displayed properly the DVDO edge info screens show source as 1080p 60Hz; when it breaks up it displays unsupported signal.

Have you ever tried to reconnect the AVC box and use it as a TV tuner in this manner?
post #1314 of 1318 Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab11bc49 View Post

Sorry durv, I do not think I was clear. I don't have a PC hooked up to my system. I am planning on using the PS3 Blu-ray player to provide 1080p content thru the DVDO edge.

Basically, I disconnected the display output-1 connection between the panel and the AVC box. Like your setup, I ran a HDMI/DVI cable from the DVDO edge video/audio output to the panel's DVI cable. To get the AVC back involved I ran a DVI/HMDI cable from the AVC's display output-1 connector to the HDMI In 1 connector on the DVDO edge. I left display output 2 and 3 connected.

If I fix the output to 1080p 60Hz on the DVDO edge prior to moving the cables I am able to get 1080p on the panel. Unfortunately, it seems to have trouble locking onto the signal. When the picture is being displayed properly the DVDO edge info screens show source as 1080p 60Hz; when it breaks up it displays unsupported signal.

Have you ever tried to reconnect the AVC box and use it as a TV tuner in this manner?

I don't have a DVDO Edge so this is all theory. If the Edge will let you pass through a 1080p 60Hz signal and your output is set to 1080p 60Hz, then it should work. Does the Edge accept 1080p 60Hz signals?

Good luck!

Murray
post #1315 of 1318 Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 AM

Thanks Murray

The Edge really does not have a pass through like a receiver since its only purpose is to enhance the video - I supports 1080i/p 60Hz over HDMI in and out.

"Ten Video Inputs:
- Six HDMI 1.3 processes 480i/p-60, 576 i/p-50, 720p-50/60, 1080i-50/60, 1080p-24/50/60, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA@60Hz

Preset output resolutions
1080i-60 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1080p-60 (1920x1080@60Hz)
..."

I'm trying to use the Edge to enhance the SD signal from the AVC box to the panel.

I am concerned that the problem is in the input of 1080i 60Hz, although I can specifically lock the output to 1080p 60Hz, the input seems to only autodetect by default. I am waiting to hear back from DVDO tech service.

The problem is most likely the close relationship between the AVC box and the panel

Some folks seem to have success with using the Edge or other DVDO products with this panel - I am losing patience and its going to soon be ebay time.
post #1316 of 1318 Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM

I will have to read thru much of this thread, as I haven't had time to read all 44 pages yet, but I have a Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U that I am haveing some issues with Audio from a BlueRay player on HDMI. (a small box pops up regularly about the Audio not being supported, and I would like to turn off the Audio (this pop up box) on the TV. Maybe a Firmware update or such. As I am sending audio to a reciever.

If anyone can lead me to the correct spot for a fix I would apreciate it.

Samsung BluRay Player
Sharp TV
Monoprice HDMI 4-1 (with optical output) switch
Also has a Motorola Comcast HDMI cable box.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #1317 of 1318 Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab11bc49 View Post

Thanks Murray
I'm trying to use the Edge to enhance the SD signal from the AVC box to the panel.

I am concerned that the problem is in the input of 1080i 60Hz, although I can specifically lock the output to 1080p 60Hz, the input seems to only autodetect by default. I am waiting to hear back from DVDO tech service.

The problem is most likely the close relationship between the AVC box and the panel

Some folks seem to have success with using the Edge or other DVDO products with this panel - I am losing patience and its going to soon be ebay time.

Stumbled across this a couple weeks late.

If you go back and look at Part I of this thread, you'll get a lot more info on exactly how the AVC and the monitor can thrive with upscalers.

Basically, you need to feed the panel fixed 1080p signals, all the time, no 1/10th of a second switching from other resolutions. Anything else will tend to destroy the panel in a pretty quick order.

I wouldn't recommended using the AVC in any form for a couple reasons. First, the PQ stinks even with upscaling - when I got my Series 3 Tivo in 2006 I just was startled at how much better the PQ was when running it through my VP50.

Second, and more annoyingly, you start getting into HDCP handshake issues if you're using an HDMI-DVI adaptor coming from the upscaler while the other parts of the AVC are still hooked up. Every time the monitor gets turned on it wants to know the AVC is still there through HDMI before you can switch to another input on a box. People bypass this by completely disconnecting the AVC from the monitor and ditching it.

If you feed this monitor a direct 1080p source, the PQ still outperforms the vast majority of sets manufactured 5 years later. I wish the contrast was a bit better at times, but as far as PQ it remains a pretty incredible set if you have the patience to set it up right.
post #1318 of 1318 Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure how many of the orginal 1080P club are still around but I finally said good bye to my Sharp LC45GX6U and sent it down LA to live with my daughter. It still works fine which is amazing considering how many times it sat there making funny noises when getting wrong rez fed to it. I replaced it with a LG 50PA650 plasma which cost exactly 1/10th of what I paid for the Sharp LC45GX6U back in October 2004. The plasma has better PQ and is a whole lot more PC friendly than having to switch the Sharp over to PC after booting it with the AVC unit. I still think this was the first 1080P display ever to be hooked up to a PC right here http://www.avsforum.com/t/459511/sharp-lc-45gx6u-owners-thread. It sure fun back then we we first booted onto a 1080P desktop. Hope someone here still remembers the good old days.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page