Vizio L32 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 905 Old 05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Member
 
seanheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bombard View Post

I understand what it's supposed to do...It just doesn't seem to do anything at all on this set.

when you adjust the brightness of an LCD, i believe you are also adjusting the backlight at the same time. where else would the brightness come from??? having a separate backlight control enables you to fine tune. maybe that's why people don't notice a big difference.
seanheis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kermee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recently picked up the L32-HDTV-10A and was pleasently surprised how good the unit is for its price point.

I subscribe to Comcast limited basic analog and the clear QAM HD channels come in perfectly. Also, audio over HDMI works perfectly from my Zensonic Z500. I had to force the Zensonic to downmix the audio to two-channel stereo instead of sending 5.1 because the Vizio doesn't seem to downmix 5.1 down for you (the center channel is missing).

I'll be playing with it a bit more throughout the week and tweaking the blacks and colors but out of the box, the PQ ain't half bad at all.

Cheers, Kermee
Kermee is offline  
post #363 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oryan_dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheis View Post

Unfortunately, not all HD programs are widescreen. I get more 720p and 1080i HD stations in 4:3 than widescreen. I guess the people with 4:3 TVs don't want to see the black bars and they outnumber us.

Any true HD program will be widescreen. Just because a program is broadcast on a 720p or 1080i channel does not mean that it is an HD program. If it is a 4:3 program, it is an SD program that has been pillarboxed to a 16:9 ratio and upconverted for broadcast on the 720p or 1080i carrier. So your box will still report 720p or 1080i, even if the original source was not an HD program.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
oryan_dunn is online now  
post #364 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Jeff009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I were you I would buy it and adjust it at home. If you can't get the picture you want, return it. When you play with the settings, it does dramatically change the picture. I wasn't happy with my set out of the box, but after I played with the settings, I got a picture I was happy with. I used some of the settings posted here and then tweaked them to my liking. I noticed the yellow tint at costco, but not at home. I didn't notice any green tint either......at costco I thought the 37 inch model looked crisper. funny[/quote]


So I picked one up today and have just started trying it out. Got a new HDMI DVD player hooked up so far that looks good. Tried out the QAM tuner and got 3 of the 4 locals I get thru cable to show up, and a bunch of music channels. Giving the OTA a try to get all my locals that way. So far things look good, the yellow tint is not there, that I observed before. I don't see the green push that people describe. I may have to hook up one of the HD-DVRs I have to see some more HD content to make a final decision on the picture quality.

I think I need to play with the settings bit more, the color seems a bit washed out, may have it too bright. Overall not too bad, my main concern now is that it maybe too small for the bedroom. So maybe I might try the 37 version, not sure. Gotta see what the wife thinks tomorrow.

Some things I have observed so far:

1. No signal meter for the OTA.
2. PIP does not work with the DTV and the Digital INPUT (currently HDMI-DVD)
3. Remote works well, was a bit worried off of others experiences
Jeff009 is offline  
post #365 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Jeff009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


So I picked one up today and have just started trying it out. Got a new HDMI DVD player hooked up so far that looks good. Tried out the QAM tuner and got 3 of the 4 locals I get thru cable to show up, and a bunch of music channels. Giving the OTA a try to get all my locals that way. So far things look good, the yellow tint is not there, that I observed before. I don't see the green push that people describe. I may have to hook up one of the HD-DVRs I have to see some more HD content to make a final decision on the picture quality.

I think I need to play with the settings bit more, the color seems a bit washed out, may have it too bright. Overall not too bad, my main concern now is that it maybe too small for the bedroom. So maybe I might try the 37 version, not sure. Gotta see what the wife thinks tomorrow.

Some things I have observed so far:

1. No signal meter for the OTA.
2. PIP does not work with the DTV and the Digital INPUT (currently HDMI-DVD)
3. Remote works well, was a bit worried off of others experiences


OK so I have gotten to play with this set some more. Moved one of my HD-DVRs into the bedroom and have been able to look at more HD shows. Ignore the 'washed' out comment, I had to adjust the brightness. Been watching the my Spurs play tonight and it looks good, still my main concern is the size. I just figured the 32 would be a bit bigger once in the bedroom - maybe once I get it up on the wall.

Jeff
Jeff009 is offline  
post #366 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sgooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff009 View Post

OK so I have gotten to play with this set some more. Moved one of my HD-DVRs into the bedroom and have been able to look at more HD shows. Ignore the 'washed' out comment, I had to adjust the brightness. Been watching the my Spurs play tonight and it looks good, still my main concern is the size. I just figured the 32 would be a bit bigger once in the bedroom - maybe once I get it up on the wall.

I've been using the Vizio 37" LCD in the bedroom for the past 5 weeks. Funny, when I first set it up I thought it was too big for the room, and considered returning it for the 32" LCD. Well, I'm used to it now and glad I stuck with it. The 37" version is around $500 more, as I'm sure you know, but it also gives you 33% more total viewing area than the 32" display. Also, the Vizio L37 does not have a QAM tuner whereas the new L32 does; if that's an important factor for you. Good luck.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Sgooter is offline  
post #367 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kermee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I'd add some screenshots of what my L32-HDTV-10A picture looked like out of the box. I'm about to run AVIA on it.
LL
LL
LL

Cheers, Kermee
Kermee is offline  
post #368 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Member
 
MikeCo927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone take a picture of their l32 from about 8 feet away and post it please. That is about how far I will be sitting from the tv and i want to get a projection of what it will look like.
Thanks
MikeCo927 is offline  
post #369 of 905 Old 05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Northville Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up my Vizio L32 from Costco this afternoon, and am fairly pleased so far, but:

The QAM tuner does not find the local ABC HD channel (WXYZ) nor the local PBS HD channel using Comcast of Canton, MI. All the other (OTA) local HD channels plus TNT HD come in great on the Comcast feed, but no WXYZ or PBS. OTA it picks up all the local digital stations, including WXYZ and PBS.

I have a Fusion HDTV card in my PC which picks up all the locals including WXYZ and PBS just fine from Comcast.

Any thoughts? Is it a problem with the QAM tuner, or is it something Comcast is doing?

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
Northville Dave is offline  
post #370 of 905 Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Member
 
jodiuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I finally hooked up a cheap pair of rabbit ears and all my DTV stations have just enough delayed sync for audio to make it jarring. I'll have to look into it, hoping it's something with the antenna and not the tv. I thought I saw it mentioned here...
jodiuh is offline  
post #371 of 905 Old 05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Member
 
seanheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Any true HD program will be widescreen. Just because a program is broadcast on a 720p or 1080i channel does not mean that it is an HD program. If it is a 4:3 program, it is an SD program that has been pillarboxed to a 16:9 ratio and upconverted for broadcast on the 720p or 1080i carrier. So your box will still report 720p or 1080i, even if the original source was not an HD program.

Thanks for the clarification. The upconversion definitely makes the picture look better, although not as good as the widescreen HDTV channels.
seanheis is offline  
post #372 of 905 Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
oryan_dunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auburn, IN
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheis View Post

Thanks for the clarification. The upconversion definitely makes the picture look better, although not as good as the widescreen HDTV channels.

Yeah, as an example, our local cbs news looks really sharp, even though it isn't HD.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
oryan_dunn is online now  
post #373 of 905 Old 05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whats up guys. i got my l32hdtv from costco a couple of days ago, and was hoping someone could help me out. at first, when i got it, everything was fine,....no problems such as green tint or yellowish whites, which have been mentioned previously in other posts. so i decided to run dve and try to calibrate the color to see if i can get it any better (wish i didn't). well, after coming to the conclusion that the predifined settings that i had b4 dve were as good as it gets (actually the settings from themovieguy?), i reverted back to them.

now my problem is that i NOW see greenish tints on shadows and light colored objects. so then i tried going into the service menu and tweaking the color settings from there.....no luck. here's something even weirder, when i go back to defaults in the service menu, and input the settings from before in the user menu, the color seems to get worst!!

example: at first color would be good at a setting of 35, then after trying to adjust red green and blue colors in the service menu, but making sure to set them back to defaults when results were not good, a color setting of 35 is too much. to the point where i have to back down to 26. is there something i'm missing? should i have done the whole break in period before setting colors or is that just reserved for plasmas? it seems as if i didn't try to calibrate the thing in the first place and just used the settings from the previous poster, all would have been good. it's just odd that i can't revert back to those same results even after all the numbers were put back to the way they initially were. any help?
roro5pm is offline  
post #374 of 905 Old 05-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anybody?
roro5pm is offline  
post #375 of 905 Old 05-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Newbie
 
gfoulke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
roro5pm said:
Quote:


now my problem is that i NOW see greenish tints on shadows and light colored objects. so then i tried going into the service menu and tweaking the color settings from there.....no luck. here's something even weirder, when i go back to defaults in the service menu, and input the settings from before in the user menu, the color seems to get worst!!

(Ooh! I finallly learned how to quote!)

roro5pm:
I hope you wrote down the ORIGINAL settings in the factory menu before you started playing with it. (I'm assuming that the "defaults" are all in the middle). There is a reason that the original settings are not in the middle. The factory has adjusted these to compensate for differences in the (your) display. If things don't work out, you should adjust the setting to the same as those that were originally there when you started.

let me add an additional comment that I didn't explicitly say in my previous rantings:

You can get a good idea whether you need to adjust the factory color settings, if you turn the "color" (in the normal menu) all the way down, and the non-color picture looks wrong. (green, etc). And, of course, you want to adjust the factory levels this way.
gfoulke is offline  
post #376 of 905 Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfoulke View Post

roro5pm said:


(Ooh! I finallly learned how to quote!)

roro5pm:
I hope you wrote down the ORIGINAL settings in the factory menu before you started playing with it. (I'm assuming that the "defaults" are all in the middle). There is a reason that the original settings are not in the middle. The factory has adjusted these to compensate for differences in the (your) display. If things don't work out, you should adjust the setting to the same as those that were originally there when you started.

let me add an additional comment that I didn't explicitly say in my previous rantings:

You can get a good idea whether you need to adjust the factory color settings, if you turn the "color" (in the normal menu) all the way down, and the non-color picture looks wrong. (green, etc). And, of course, you want to adjust the factory levels this way.


actually, i did make sure to take note of the factory settings. my issue is when i plugged them back in, it seems the color output isn't the same as it was in factory state. it's like no matter what i do, which includes punching in the default factory values, i can never get it to look like it was outta the box. i even asked my wife to check it out everytime i changed values, then put back the factory values back in.....she also said the color is getting more red, almost to the point it's bleeding. example: a color setting of 35 before now looks as if it's a color setting of 75 now,...even with all the settings in the service menu back to defaults!

i'm obviously taking it back to costco,...but i just want to know why the colors won't go back to the way they were even though i put back all settings to factory state.....and i mean everything.
roro5pm is offline  
post #377 of 905 Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
csmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone wall mount this with their "flush" mount? The VISIO LCD panels are much thicker than others, hanging this on a bedroom wall with walk-by traffic would seem to be a problem.

Thanks.
csmith is online now  
post #378 of 905 Old 05-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
gfoulke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


actually, i did make sure to take note of the factory settings. my issue is when i plugged them back in, it seems the color output isn't the same as it was in factory state. it's like no matter what i do, which includes punching in the default factory values, i can never get it to look like it was outta the box.

How weird!
Maybe it's a good thing I haven't played with my settings. I assumed that the color adjustments would be like any normal TV, but if there's anything I've learned since my purchase, it's that you can't assume the L32 would behave like a "normal" TV.
It'l be interesting to see if others have experienced similar problems with returning to original factory settings.
Actually, if I have a few Rum & Cokes tonight, I may not be able to resist messing with mine.
It'd be horrible if I had to return the unit and exchange it for the HD model!

Glenn
gfoulke is offline  
post #379 of 905 Old 05-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
gfoulke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


it's not really noticable in certain areas, but in a dark seen or in a scene where shadows are plenty, green and yellow start to appear. what's weird is that when i followed the advice of the previous poster, and put the color setting to zero, there is no hint of any green hue at all. blacks looked black, grays looked gray, and whites looked white. once i pumped up the color, it seemed gumby exploded all over the scene.

Got me!

Maybe I'm not that critical. Whenever the colors look weird to me, I just crank the color down a bit and it looks fine. Although, I probably should get a copy of "college panty party 3" and give it a real good look, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Anyway, if you get good black/grey/white with the color turned all the way down, then that's probably as much as you can do with the "factory" menu. If you know the source of the signal was OK (what was it, by the way?), then there must be some kind of color processing problem in the set.

Glenn
gfoulke is offline  
post #380 of 905 Old 05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Northville Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am unable to get the ABC and PBS HDTV feeds from Comcast on my new Vizio L32 with its in-built ATSC QAM tuner.

I do get NBC, CBS, WB, Fox and even TNT HDTV channels just fine.

Is something wrong with my set or is Comcast of Canton, MI mucking up things with ABC and PBS?

Any ideas?

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
Northville Dave is offline  
post #381 of 905 Old 05-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northville Dave View Post

I am unable to get the ABC and PBS HDTV feeds from Comcast on my new Vizio L32 with its in-built ATSC QAM tuner.

I do get NBC, CBS, WB, Fox and even TNT HDTV channels just fine.

Is something wrong with my set or is Comcast of Canton, MI mucking up things with ABC and PBS?

Any ideas?

Dave,

well, when i had this lcd, i recieved more hd channels than my friend who had the same exact model....but he lived in a different city. he then brought his here to my house to see what hd channels he could pick up,.....he was able to pickup the same exact channels i did. so i believe it either has to do with comcast, or the strength of the signal it picks up. hope this helps.
roro5pm is offline  
post #382 of 905 Old 05-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Northville Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro5pm View Post

Dave,

well, when i had this lcd, i recieved more hd channels than my friend who had the same exact model....but he lived in a different city. he then brought his here to my house to see what hd channels he could pick up,.....he was able to pickup the same exact channels i did. so i believe it either has to do with comcast, or the strength of the signal it picks up. hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply - I, too, would think it was a Comcast problem but I am able to get the missing HDTV channels from Comcast via the Fusion III Gold QAM tuner card in my PC.

I talked to a senior level tech at Comcast last week who was to research the issue and call me back - I have left him several messages but no return call yet.

Dave
on Comcast Cable of Canton, MI
Northville Dave is offline  
post #383 of 905 Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Newbie
 
NullPointerExcep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Vizio L32 a few weeks ago. It is my first 16:9 tv, and I have a question about watching widescreen movies on DVD. What mode do you use to watch movies with a widescreen (2.35:1) format? When I use "Wide" mode, there are black bars above and below. The picture looks great and I like being able to see the full width. However, it would be nice sometimes not to have the black bars.

Using the "Zoom" mode gets rid of the bars at the top and bottom, but it also "squishes" the picture to the point that it is unwatchable. I did a test with Fellowship of the Ring in a scene where the ring is sitting on a table. The ring is circular in "Wide" mode but elliptical in "Zoom" mode.

I tried using the Zoom + and - buttons on the remote. Zooming to 2x did not do any squishing, but seemed to zoom in farther than I really wanted, cutting off the picture on the top and bottom as well as the left and right sides.

Ideally, I would want a mode where it takes the 2.35:1 picture and zooms in far enough to get rid of the black bars but so that no vertical information is lost.

The black bars don't bug me that much, I'm just curious what other people do.
NullPointerExcep is offline  
post #384 of 905 Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
gm2376's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullPointerExcep View Post

I just bought the Vizio L32 a few weeks ago. It is my first 16:9 tv, and I have a question about watching widescreen movies on DVD. What mode do you use to watch movies with a widescreen (2.35:1) format? When I use "Wide" mode, there are black bars above and below. The picture looks great and I like being able to see the full width. However, it would be nice sometimes not to have the black bars.

Using the "Zoom" mode gets rid of the bars at the top and bottom, but it also "squishes" the picture to the point that it is unwatchable. I did a test with Fellowship of the Ring in a scene where the ring is sitting on a table. The ring is circular in "Wide" mode but elliptical in "Zoom" mode.

I tried using the Zoom + and - buttons on the remote. Zooming to 2x did not do any squishing, but seemed to zoom in farther than I really wanted, cutting off the picture on the top and bottom as well as the left and right sides.

Ideally, I would want a mode where it takes the 2.35:1 picture and zooms in far enough to get rid of the black bars but so that no vertical information is lost.

The black bars don't bug me that much, I'm just curious what other people do.

Thats the way it is formatted to be. Depending on the format, some will use black bars, some won't. If you try filling the screen, you will distort the picture in some way.
gm2376 is offline  
post #385 of 905 Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Newbie
 
mmorris5820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my Vizio 32" LCD from Costco about 2 weeks ago and I love it! Can't beat it for the price.

All HD over the air channels come in great. Up Conversion DVD player looks even better.

I've tweaked the colors off of the basic menu, but I can't get into the factory menu for fine tuning. Either I'm doing something wrong or don't understand the previous posts in here on how to get into it.

Great TV for the money!
mmorris5820 is offline  
post #386 of 905 Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris5820 View Post

I bought my Vizio 32" LCD from Costco about 2 weeks ago and I love it! Can't beat it for the price.

All HD over the air channels come in great. Up Conversion DVD player looks even better.

I've tweaked the colors off of the basic menu, but I can't get into the factory menu for fine tuning. Either I'm doing something wrong or don't understand the previous posts in here on how to get into it.

Great TV for the money!

to get into service menu:

-turn off tv
-on the tv set, hold down channel up and down simultaneously and push power
-on control, push menu once, notice the "f" in the bottom right corner, then hold menu again to be taken to service menu.

btw, to save you some time...there is no way to get colors calibrated properly. it's the limitation of the set. whites will always look yellowish/greenish or dark; and colors will either look too cool or warm. trust me, i tried on 2 different sets b4 giving up on it. also, the costco guy mentioned to me that a lot of people are returning this set for this exact reason. anyhow, it's a great set for the price....but by all means doesn't compare to the pq of bravia or a panny. goodluck with the set.
roro5pm is offline  
post #387 of 905 Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Jeff009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro5pm View Post

to get into service menu:

-turn off tv
-on the tv set, hold down channel up and down simultaneously and push power
-on control, push menu once, notice the "f" in the bottom right corner, then hold menu again to be taken to service menu.

btw, to save you some time...there is no way to get colors calibrated properly. it's the limitation of the set. whites will always look yellowish/greenish or dark; and colors will either look too cool or warm. trust me, i tried on 2 different sets b4 giving up on it. also, the costco guy mentioned to me that a lot of people are returning this set for this exact reason. anyhow, it's a great set for the price....but by all means doesn't compare to the pq of bravia or a panny. goodluck with the set.

Not sure I totally agree with your assessment here. I finally recorded the HDNET test patterns to tweak my HD DVR input and I am very impressed with the quality at this point. I used the base line number people put in here and tweaked from there, w/o going into the service menu. I feel I have gotten rid of the 'darkness' of the whites and I see absolutely no yellowish/greenish tinting at this point. On the other hand I had to tweak the settings for my DVD player completely separately from the HD box and have achieved similar results. I think most people need to find a test pattern for each of the inputs and tweak accordingly, the settings in this thread are a good starting point but I am much happier after taking some time to go thru the test patterns. Just my opinion here, prior to doing this I too had considered taking it back, now I'm just trying to find a mount to put it on the wall.

Jeff
Jeff009 is offline  
post #388 of 905 Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Member
 
seanheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro5pm View Post

to get into service menu:

-turn off tv
-on the tv set, hold down channel up and down simultaneously and push power
-on control, push menu once, notice the "f" in the bottom right corner, then hold menu again to be taken to service menu.

btw, to save you some time...there is no way to get colors calibrated properly. it's the limitation of the set. whites will always look yellowish/greenish or dark; and colors will either look too cool or warm. trust me, i tried on 2 different sets b4 giving up on it. also, the costco guy mentioned to me that a lot of people are returning this set for this exact reason. anyhow, it's a great set for the price....but by all means doesn't compare to the pq of bravia or a panny. goodluck with the set.


i looked at a lot of different lcd panels before i purchased the vizio. the overall good user reviews on this forum as well as favorable reviews on cnet and pc world convinced me this was the best lcd for the money. i bought it despite not liking how the uncalibrated picture looked at costco. i almost spent a lot more dough on a sharp. i'm glad i didn't. what i quickly realized is that the video source material is what really makes the difference. hdtv on the qam tuner or OTA high def material blows away standard def. xbox 360 looks a lot better than regular xbox. upconverted hdmi dvd looks a lot better than my xbox's dvd output. the picture quality differences between a vizio,sony, sharp, etc. are much more subtle. the price difference between a vizio and these other panels is not subtle. i would be willing to bet that a professional video calibrator tech could make a vizio look better than a Bravia calibrated by an enthusiast. having said this, my vizio doesn't show yellowish whites or green push. if it did, i would exchange it.
seanheis is offline  
post #389 of 905 Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Member
 
roro5pm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheis View Post

i looked at a lot of different lcd panels before i purchased the vizio. the overall good user reviews on this forum as well as favorable reviews on cnet and pc world convinced me this was the best lcd for the money. i bought it despite not liking how the uncalibrated picture looked at costco. i almost spent a lot more dough on a sharp. i'm glad i didn't. what i quickly realized is that the video source material is what really makes the difference. hdtv on the qam tuner or OTA high def material blows away standard def. xbox 360 looks a lot better than regular xbox. upconverted hdmi dvd looks a lot better than my xbox's dvd output. the picture quality differences between a vizio,sony, sharp, etc. are much more subtle. the price difference between a vizio and these other panels is not subtle. i would be willing to bet that a professional video calibrator tech could make a vizio look better than a Bravia calibrated by an enthusiast. having said this, my vizio doesn't show yellowish whites or green push. if it did, i would exchange it.

well, like i said, if it makes you happy, then great. but the fact that many people here see the yellowish and green tint; and the fact that the guy at costco confirmed the issue due the amount of returns he's had....the problem is there.

again, i'm not trying to put this lcd down, but the fact that i can calibrate my bravia to my liking without have a pro come out to do it, says a lot for the bravia's pq than the vizio's in my book. keyword there is "my liking"....although it may not be on point with a pro's calibration, if it pleases my eye, then i'm satisfied.

but anyhow, glad to hear that you are happy and you got a great deal on this lcd.
roro5pm is offline  
post #390 of 905 Old 05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Newbie
 
monkeybutler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at costco the other day and saw that they dropped the "10A" from the Vizio L32HDTV10A. It seemed weird that they called it 10A from the start, and its even weirder now that its gone. Anyone know if it means anything?
monkeybutler is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off