Vizio L32 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 905 Old 03-01-2006, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about the "backlight" . . .

What does it do? When I change it I can't tell any difference in the picture at all. I leave it set at 0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 905 Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This new 32" says 8ms response time as opposed to 12ms for the old NTSC version. I hope SAMS gets this soon, I will jump on it.
post #183 of 905 Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared52 View Post

I called the number that was given for info and the girl told me that Sam's would be carrying the L32HDTV.

Thats good news. Did they give any indication of the date of availability? March like costco? Dang patience is a virtue but Im ready for my new TV!
post #184 of 905 Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM

I asked about availablity and she said "by the end of March". I think the Visio rep in this thread said it would be out for the March Madness push (NCAA tournament starts Thursday March 16, but the play in game in on the 15th I think). I would assume it would need to be out a week or so before, or the Monday at the latest.
post #185 of 905 Old 03-03-2006, 03:01 PM

i just returned my L32 since it was the end of the 30 day return policy. That L32HDTV better come in soon because im back to my old 27" convex screened TV and its making me want to puke. So if anyone spots this model then please respond in this thread.
post #186 of 905 Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I will be on the lookout for this one also.
I just hope it hits B&M SAMS so I can get it risk free.

When/if I get the L32 I will post detailed information.
post #187 of 905 Old 03-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy49 View Post

Dear gfoulke,

Once again I'm SO glad to hear other members of this forum speak so candidly and honest about their experiences with the same equipment that other users own. I also have sound problems my vizio L32 in the ntsc 'stereo' tv mode. Of course not having the tv 'recognize' stereo sound. You would have thought the engineers that 'designed' this product would have noticed that problem. As most know...this product is made in taiwan, but normally.....they produce some pretty well designed products. Also, as it it with most lcd tv's...the viewing angle makes ALL of the difference. This weekend my wife and I wanted to be able to view some of the nfl playoff games a little better on our vizio L32. So I came up with a temporary method of elevating our tv at a higher viewing angle while sitting in our entertainment center. As this tv is pretty light, I just sat the unit on a sturdy box....WOW, what a difference that made. Now my goal is to get rid of the tv stand altogether, and locate a decent under-cabinet mount for our L32. I e-mailed vizio customer service about some little quirks with our L32..I never received a reply back from them. I guess for the money...our L32 was a decent buy. Of course I'm sure this year that lcd prices will fall even more...of course that's normal. Have a GREAT day !!
David

I'm also glad I to know I wasn't imagining the stereo problem when I returned this set back in October. gfoulke describes the sound problem rather accurately - wild amplitude fluctuations. I just couldn't place what exactly was wrong with the stereo sound when listening to it. The mono sound was very clear, but I couldn't make out dialogue clearly in stereo, and was wondering if my room or TV armoire was causing weird stereo 'imaging' or something.

I wasn't going to return the set for this reason, as otherwise I really liked the set and preferred the cabinet design, color, SD image, and panoramic stretch mode over the Westinghouse 32W1 that I have now. However, I also had a remote problem (several buttons failed), and after not getting a new remote for a month, I figured two problems was worth a return.

For those having remote issues, they will eventually replace faulty remotes, but you have to be persistent - I did get a new one in the mail a week after I returned the set. It was a weird customer service experience, they were very responsive but with no action - I'd get a prompt e-mail after every one of my e-mail's saying so-and-so was working on it, and a new case number each time, but no remote. I even got a call from their OEM remote manufacturer, who asked for detailed symptoms of my problem so they could build a better remote - but no replacement. The trick to getting action appears to be politely leaving a voicemail to so-and-so that you'll be returning the TV immediately to the shopping warehouse store you bought it at, since the TV is hard to use without a functional remote.

FWIW, since the remote was my primary problem, they never responded to my side question about whether there was a defect in the stereo sound.
post #188 of 905 Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Hello all,
As I've mentioned here before..I also have some problems with our L32. One of which was the remote acting rather strange when pressing some of the function buttons. I've been in contact with one of the vizio tech. support people, I've already received a replacement remote, and so far..the new one seems to work better than the original. And supposedly, I'm going to receive a on site service call to either hopefully fix my present L32 problems or I'm to receive a new tv @ no charge. i was told by the tech.support rep. that vizio is trying to establish itself as a reputable company, and they are trying to take care of consumers problems. I guess time will tell.
David
post #189 of 905 Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 PM

I just purchased the L32HDTV from Sam's Club in Palmdale, CA. I'll give my impressions after a bit of viewing.
post #190 of 905 Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy007 View Post

I just purchased the L32HDTV from Sam's Club in Palmdale, CA. I'll give my impressions after a bit of viewing.

So the new panels are out? What's the response time on the panel? Was the asking amount similar or higher than the older 32" model it's replacing?
post #191 of 905 Old 03-10-2006, 07:25 PM

According to the specs listed on the Vizio website the response is 8 ms. The price was the same as the L32.
post #192 of 905 Old 03-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy007 View Post

According to the specs listed on the Vizio website the response is 8 ms. The price was the same as the L32.

Thanks. I'll see if my stores have them.
post #193 of 905 Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM

so the 8 ms one is out? anynoe else see it?
post #194 of 905 Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 PM

PC Magazine did a review and said that the Proview RX-326 was a better set than the Visio. It said nice things about both but gave the edge to Proview. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to find the best low cost model out there.
post #195 of 905 Old 03-13-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12187 View Post

I went to two Sams and Costco and I didn't see it. They did have the L37HDTV.
post #196 of 905 Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12187 View Post

My local Sam's in So. CA has them.

JP
post #197 of 905 Old 03-15-2006, 11:08 AM

Saw it at Sams in Long Beach, CA and Placentia, CA. We're probably getting faster out in Socal because we're so close to their main offices. I picked one up along with the extended warranty. Its pretty much exactly like the old L32 but it uses a nicer blue for the menus and has the built in HDTV tuner.

The problem i have now is how Comcast requires me to rent a digital cable box even though I don't have digital cable. So in order to fully utilize my L32HD, Media Center PC and Tivo then I'd have to rent 3 cable boxes and that would double my bill. So my Tivo gets priority. It works fine but the signal is butchered by the time it reaches that beautiful TV.

I know i'm ranting but its annoying to be forced to rent proprietary equipment on top of the already insane prices we pay just to get those two channels we actually will watch. TV technology is getting better, but these cable companies make it so difficult to make the experience frustration-free. It's not a surprise people turn to the internet for acquiring their shows.
post #198 of 905 Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=monkeybutler]For Media Center i'm using the L32HD as an extended display. It looks incredible but again, no digital cable box means no cable channels. But for DVD's and videos its working out very well./QUOTE]

Sound like you want to be convinced to upgrade to an HD Cable box.

I know I watch very little Standard Def material anymore. Even DVD's are starting to look to low-def to me.

Go ahead and get the HD cable box and use the OTA HD Tuner.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #199 of 905 Old 03-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

Sound like you want to be convinced to upgrade to an HD Cable box.

I know I watch very little Standard Def material anymore. Even DVD's are starting to look to low-def to me.

Go ahead and get the HD cable box and use the OTA HD Tuner.

No, not really. Its more about being angry with rediculous HD cable box rental costs. If i could buy one fine but to rent one at a rediculous price is nuts. Plus, even with an HD cable box then it gets filtered through my Tivo or MCE system and both those don't have HDTV options.

Eventually i'll give in and get an HD cable box, but not until my DVR's can support HD content.
post #200 of 905 Old 03-16-2006, 08:59 AM

Monkeybutler,

Does it accept 1366 X 768 from the PC?

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
post #201 of 905 Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpham View Post

Monkeybutler,

Does it accept 1366 X 768 from the PC?

It sure does. Video and the Media Center look fantastic at this resolution. So my PC is now my main DVD player since the VGA connection is much better than the DVD built into my Tivo.

Question:

This is my first HD tuner experience so I'm not sure about something. Why does the Vizio have 2 antenna coax inputs? One is for standard TV and the other is for DTV. All the other HDTV's with built in tuner have a single coax antenna so when you flip channels then it goes back and forth through HD and standard channels. But on the Vizio then you have to go to NTSC TV to watch regular channels and hit Digital HD (twice) to go to the HD Tuner.

So is this normal? Westinghouse has an update o their 32" HDTV with a tuner and not only does it look better, it allows you to view all channels through one antenna.
post #202 of 905 Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Does it have the QAM tuner? Have you try it?

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
post #203 of 905 Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 AM

I just went looking for the L32HDTV and still can't find it locally in the MD, DC, N. VA area.
post #204 of 905 Old 03-18-2006, 05:15 PM

I went to both Costco and Sams this afternoon in Gaithersburg. None at Costco but the Sams did have at least 6 of the new ones. Didn't really pay attention to the actual one on display but think it was a new model. Probably be everywhere by Monday 3/20.

Golfguy
post #205 of 905 Old 03-18-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy View Post

I went to both Costco and Sams this afternoon in Gaithersburg. None at Costco but the Sams did have at least 6 of the new ones. Didn't really pay attention to the actual one on display but think it was a new model. Probably be everywhere by Monday 3/20.

Golfguy

Thanks golfguy
post #206 of 905 Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 PM

I'm a few steps closer to dumping the L32HDTV. Like the L32, the L32HD audio sync on the thing still is a bit off. Especially on the HDtuner where sync seems to fall off randomly on me. To fix it I have to turn off the tv, and turn it on again. I really dont want to get rid of the L32HDTV so hopefully its something i can solve on my own.

As far as the picture goes, its so incredible that I find myself watching bad shows just because its 1080i. I watched Aliens vs Predator and Catwoman yesterday just to appreciate the clarity of HD.
post #207 of 905 Old 03-19-2006, 09:11 AM

Hello All,
Just to keep you updated about my vizio L32 problems, as I've stated previously, they already sent me a new remote control. That seem to help with the tv responding to the actual button that was pressed on the remote. Also, as far as the distorted stereo sound, I received a on-site service call this past tuesday
( 03-14-06 ) the service technician installed what they called a new audio board. It's the panel on the back of the tv where all of the audio/video connections are. That seemed to help the distortion on the stereo sound. One thing it didn't correct however was on the initial auto scan to capture all of the available cable channels, it once again only captured the sound in the 'mono' mode. While the service technician was there, she called vizio tech. support and informed them the stereo sound seemed to be better, but only captured it in mono. So once again I had to go to each captured channel and press the 'info' button on the remote, and then press the mts button to change from mono to stereo sound. At first the vizio people said they were going to then supply a replacement 'tuner' board to see if that would correct the capturing of the stereo sound. Then a few days later, I received a phone call from another person @ vizio wanting to give me a rma #. I asked him what for....he thought I wanted to send in the tv to vizio for repair. I explained to him that a technician had already came by and replaced the audio board, and that the last thing I heard was that a replacement tuner board had been ordered to be installed in our tv. He seemed 'confused' when I gave him that information..he said he would call me back, and did a few hours later. He informed me then that the tuner board had been canceled, and they instead wanted to send me a 'refurbished' replacement tv. I said I would discuss the matter with my wife, and he said he would call me back the next day...which he did. I had already made my mind up before my wife came home that I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending in our present tv only to receive a refurbished one in return. That's what I told the vizio person when he called me, I also told him that I had originally been told that if my current L32 couldn't be repaired to my liking. I would receive a 'new' replacement tv from vizio. After all this happened I contacted the original tech. support person I had been talking to, I informed him of everything that had occurred since I talked with him that last time. He e-mailed me back that he was sorry for all of the confusion and frustration I had been put through. He said he would call me the next day..and when he did he informed me that a replacement tuner board had once again been requested for our tv. I guess for now..I have three choices available to me, let them install the replacement tuner board, take the tv back to sams club and exchange it for another tv, out just get a refund and try another brand. I'm thinking maybe I jumped too fast when buying this vizio L32 tv. I hope some of you have had a better experience than me.
David
post #208 of 905 Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Davy49, with all you've put up, delt with, and run around, I'd return the TV to Sam's Club.

If you're willing to try another Vizio, I'd buy the new version L32 with the HD tuner built in. I'd take it home, set it up, and expect it to work perfectly out of the box. If there are any problems, I'd return it immediately and go look at other brands.

I'd still stick with what brands that Costco & Sam's offer, just for the return policy.

Good Luck!

JP
post #209 of 905 Old 03-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Dear Jeff W.,
I feel the same way...had I known what is was in for with vizio I might of never purchased one in the first place. Of course in their favor..they have tried to help me.
David
post #210 of 905 Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The sound on my L32 just started the wild volume swings. Given I've already returned this once in early January (original purchase Black Friday) for failure to power on, it's time for a refund from Sam's. I may consider the 32" HD if it's there and at a similar price.

I've also returned an L37 to Costco in December (also Black Friday) for the tuner going out.

If it weren't for the backing of the warehouse clubs, I'd probably not be willing to try the brand again for sometime. Too bas becasue when they're working, they're great sets

BTW, the stereo not set on channel scan is probably a systemic issue. It happened on each of the two L32 and L37 sets I've had.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page