I received my set yesterday and I've spent a few hours evaluating/tweaking the thing.
My biggest fear is that the ATSC tuner is down-scaling and then scaling back up like others have suggested, or it's just not very good. I have a Sony KDF-60XBR950 LCD rear projection set and the picture quality for HD seems better on that and the SD picture quality is way better.
Like others have mentioned, when watching HD broadcasts, the picture seems grainy (noisy). If I use the sharpness control to hide the noise, the picture is too soft. It's difficult to say what's happening or if I'm just incredibly picky, which is entirely possible. The real test would be to compare the built-in tuner to the picture from an HD tuner in a PC, but I don't have one of those yet.
Regarding the blotchiness issue. I tend to think we all have the problem and it just isn't that noticeable. Try the following and see what you think:
- Using a PC, set your desktop to a solid dark blue color.
- Right-click on the desktop > Properties > Desktop
- For the Background, select (None) at the top of the list.
- In the same dialog, click the button labeled Color: and select Other... from the dropdown list.
- Select the color as shown in the attached GIF file and click OK.
- Move your head so it is directly in front of the left side of the screen. (Does the right side look brighter?)
- Move your head so it's in front of the right side of the screen. (Does the left side look brighter?)
When I do this, it appears a dark area is always directly in front of me. I've taken some photos available as of 8/27/05 HERE
, but I'll only keep them there for a short time.
I originally took the photos where the monitor was the only light source and the camera ended up using less-than-ideal settings and as a result I believe the blotch was exaggerated. I tried to light the room to get the camera aperture to shut-down a bit more and repeated the photos.
It's impossible to say if the blotchiness I see is less than what ericjut sees. What I do see is not a problem and wouldn't affect my decision to purchase the set, although I am still questioning the unit as a stand-alone TV.
I agree with everyone so far that the picture quality on this set when used as a PC monitor is perfect. Not a single dead pixel for me, which is pretty good considering there's a couple million of 'em.
On a side-note, thanks to phussary for providing us with the link to the site that sells cables. That site should come in handy.