Sceptre X37SV-Naga review - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys, does this unit have ANY energy saving graces at all??? Booklet says 320 watts. Has anyone been able to get it to go into standby other than by pushing the power button on the bottom of the unit?
Would be nice if Costco required Green units. They wield a lot of power.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly View Post

Wow, didnt' even know those things were available affordably. It's good to know that my eyes are somewhat normalized in the color department as well Would the perfect display have a straight line from bottom left to top right in that graph?

Dan K

I guess I should have put that information in my post, but those are gamma lines, and NTSC/ATSC standards aren't using linear gamma lines. Long story short, the colored lines are what would a perfect TV color response would be, while the black lines are what my unit color response was (before calibration). The nearer those two curves are, the better.

-eric
post #273 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 11:02 PM

Got mine last night but I am having trouble connecting it to my PC via DVI, even though VGA connection is fine. I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 video card in my PC. The DVI works fine with my old LCD but not this monster. Do I have to purchase a new video card in order to use this monitor?
post #274 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Got my set delivered today as well! Yay! For the guys who mentioned that UPS left it at their door, the same thing happened to me. I was absolutely shocked. But I think it's probably more an error on Costco's part rather than UPS. No signature required?

Anyway, I haven't played around with it too much yet. But I hooked up a DVD player via component connects. I'm sort of disappointed with the quality of the picture. It is somewhat grainy. Has anyone else experienced this or primarily hooking up HD and/or computer?

I'm sure the HD will look much better, but will take me a little while to get that hooked up. I'll try hooking up my computer and see how that goes.
post #275 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 11:30 PM

Regarding the 1080i de-interlacing...I just realized, that just because the display is 1080p doesn't mean that a 1080i signal must be interlaced to display it... I am hoping that when displaying a 1080i signal, the pixels are simply drawn first on the even, then on the odd lines, as they are received in the input signal. This would mean that there's no conversion happening at all on the 1080i signal.

Can someone with a better background comment? I just can't imagine again scaling down/de-interlacing to 720p, losing resolution, then scaling back up. It would make having those 1080 lines useless.
post #276 of 3746 Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

- guys..

- can anyone post the pictures of their TV? I want to see how it looks. Picture on website it not great.
- Is the audio deal-breaker. I currently have the vizio 32''. not great sound either but seems small for my bedroom and thinking of upgrading due to size and atsc tuner
- how is the atsc tuner. picks up channels well? does it have an option to just look for digital channels so that I can skip all analogs? philips does not have it!! but my Sony XBR does
- since this is going to be in my bedroom..I want decent sound...u think I should buy or not...
- is the remote universal?
- finally, i hope this company releases firmwares to update glitches found. Philips does that..which is awesome

thanks in advanced for replying to my so-many Qs! I need to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon since I am out the rest of the weekend..thanks.
post #277 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathannookie View Post

UPS left mine in my hallway too. Sat there for 5 hours. Guess no one could tell what it was with the generic box that covers the Sceptre box

I also pulled the RF connector off. I thought I'd broken it, until I found the adapter on the floor below, and slid it back into the hole. I tightened it a bit so it wouldn't fall off as easily next time.

yeah, it totally freaked me out lol, well I just played like 2 hours of halo coop on the TV, the dark levels are actually better in some areas than my plasma tho I did have blotches of dark areas that suddenly went dark or bright. Not sure if it's the game or the TV.

I was planning on posting the final pics of my setup now, but since my friend came over I didn't have time so maybe tomorrow when i'm less tired. the DTV Tuner picture is a bit grainy (watching conan now), I'm not too sure if it's the tuner or the TV itself. I'm gonna try to use my ATI HDTV wonder with it and see how the picture is.

I didn't thinka bout this ahead of time but this Unit really should have had a coax or Optical out so that I wouldnt have to use the crappyu speakers with thier tuner.

Oh yeah another hint to make sure to set it on DVI and not HDMI when you connect it to a video card on a PC. When you use HDMI you get some weird color rainbow artifacts. It totally freaked me out when I first saw it.

But yeah I didn't even bother to check the manual since it seems most people say it's crap anyway, you'd get better info from this thread anyway .

In terms of bezel quality this set is much cheaper than my Vizio was. My vizio was metal in the back and plastic in the front. This TV is plastic all round with a really ghetto stand I actually dont mind the loss in space realestate from my 42" plasma and as a monitor this thing rocks =). I am very happy with my setup. Oh yeah the OSD Is really ghetto too lol. The ICONS they use are incredibly low res and ghetto icons which is kind of dissapointing but not that big a deal.

Ok looks like I actually cleaned some of my room so I can share some pics

Shipping box

Internal Box

Freaked me out when this happened

1080p wmv footage from the right

same from right

Beatmania IIDX Setup (yay no more burn in )

same from left

and of course as monitor

If you guys want more pics of any specific footage let me know, I got a Xbox/Gamecube (SD only), PS2. When I get unlazy i'm gonna swap the coax cable to the PC and see if I the HDTV footage from that is less grainy than the included tuner.
post #278 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have any of you problems with a buzz in the audio when using computer input, in my case the VGA input at 1920x1080 ?

The audio is unusable when turning the volume up. Disconnecting the audio input makes no difference.

Video looks best with DVHS pb at 1080I , pb Over America, second best MS HD DVD, The Reef.
Both are best HD I have ever seen.

I posted this before but no response, apparently audio in PC mode must be ok in other units.

Eugene
post #279 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

I didn't thinka bout this ahead of time but this Unit really should have had a coax or Optical out so that I wouldnt have to use the crappyu speakers with thier tuner.

So the yellow output labeld "AV OUT" on the back panel isn't a digital coax output?

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...x37sv-Naga.htm

A "fine" is a tax for doing wrong. A "tax" is a fine for doing well.
post #280 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathannookie View Post

Yep....I'll be back there switching DVI cables all day long. You'd really think they'd give us more HDMI ports, and less S-Video/composites. Why would anyone buy a true HD panel, and use S-Video or worse composite?

Wonder what a DVI switcher costs? Obviously much more than a Component switcher. How do you like your HDD500? I'm thinking of the 250.

I bought a Zebra 5x1 DVI switch from digital connection a while ago for $375 or something like that. One of AVS' power buys. Hopefully it will work with this sceptre.
post #281 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 AM

Hey Zoglog, great pics!

Mind taking more pictures? I'd love to see the .avi movie quality on these things.

Also, I always wanted to know how GAMECUBE games look like on LCDs, since I'm also planning on getting a GC with Resident evil, Pikmin2, Mario Tennis along with an LCD.

If you have any of those games, take a pic for me please. Thanks!

Also, how does this compare to your plasma?
post #282 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 08:52 AM

[quote=NickS]So the yellow output labeld "AV OUT" on the back panel isn't a digital coax output?

That looks like a composite video output.
post #283 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Have any of you problems with a buzz in the audio when using computer input, in my case the VGA input at 1920x1080 ?

The audio is unusable when turning the volume up. Disconnecting the audio input makes no difference.

Video looks best with DVHS pb at 1080I , pb Over America, second best MS HD DVD, The Reef.

I posted this before but no response, apparently audio in PC mode must be ok in other units.

Eugene

I too have this "buzz" in the audio when using the computer. I don't have anything connected to it either, which requires that I mute the TV for it to stop. Sounds like good old 60Hz. hum from the power line. Considering nothing's even connected, and that the problem doesn't exist with other inputs, sounds like the noise is being injected into the PC audio lines internal to the Sceptre. Certainly something to ask Sceptre about. For me it's not such a big deal, since I don't intend on using the Sceptre speakers anyways. And the display is simply too nice to me to lose out on having it as a TV/Monitor because I can't live with the hum on the PC input.
post #284 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

Eugene

A lot of times, buzz or hum comes from external causes, not from the TV itself. Try disconnecting EVERYTHING, and see if you hear the buzz. If you do, make sure everything around the TV is turned off, especially a computer. If you still hear a buzz, it may be in the set. Make sure the speaker connections are plugged in tight. If your buzz goes away with just the TV on, try turning on the computer first, then connecting just the computer audio. Then connect the computer video (turn TV and computer off first!). See when the buzz comes back connecting things one at a time.

Good luck!
post #285 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardorser View Post

Guys, does this unit have ANY energy saving graces at all??? Booklet says 320 watts. Has anyone been able to get it to go into standby other than by pushing the power button on the bottom of the unit?
Would be nice if Costco required Green units. They wield a lot of power.

That's odd, their site says 180W. Of course, these numbers are typically worst case numbers. Considering must of us find the lowest Lamp setting of 0 to be plenty bright enough, I'm sure typically power consumption is quite low. I have a Kill-A-Watt measurer that I can use on the unit tomorrow. I'll report back.
post #286 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

I too have this "buzz" in the audio when using the computer. I don't have anything connected to it either, which requires that I mute the TV for it to stop. Sounds like good old 60Hz. hum from the power line. Considering nothing's even connected, and that the problem doesn't exist with other inputs, sounds like the noise is being injected into the PC audio lines internal to the Sceptre. Certainly something to ask Sceptre about. For me it's not such a big deal, since I don't intend on using the Sceptre speakers anyways. And the display is simply too nice to me to lose out on having it as a TV/Monitor because I can't live with the hum on the PC input.

It does sound like they saved some money on the TV audio and spent it on good video. That makes sense to me, since most people buying an HDTV will probably want to use a good digital audio amplifier for the sound. Home theater audio systems are only a few hundred dollars, and they will sound better than anything you could do inside a TV set.
post #287 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 AM

I received my set yesterday and I've spent a few hours evaluating/tweaking the thing.

My biggest fear is that the ATSC tuner is down-scaling and then scaling back up like others have suggested, or it's just not very good. I have a Sony KDF-60XBR950 LCD rear projection set and the picture quality for HD seems better on that and the SD picture quality is way better.

Like others have mentioned, when watching HD broadcasts, the picture seems grainy (noisy). If I use the sharpness control to hide the noise, the picture is too soft. It's difficult to say what's happening or if I'm just incredibly picky, which is entirely possible. The real test would be to compare the built-in tuner to the picture from an HD tuner in a PC, but I don't have one of those yet.

Regarding the blotchiness issue. I tend to think we all have the problem and it just isn't that noticeable. Try the following and see what you think:
  1. Using a PC, set your desktop to a solid dark blue color.
    1. Right-click on the desktop > Properties > Desktop
    2. For the Background, select (None) at the top of the list.
    3. In the same dialog, click the button labeled Color: and select Other... from the dropdown list.
    4. Select the color as shown in the attached GIF file and click OK.
  2. Move your head so it is directly in front of the left side of the screen. (Does the right side look brighter?)
  3. Move your head so it's in front of the right side of the screen. (Does the left side look brighter?)
When I do this, it appears a dark area is always directly in front of me. I've taken some photos available as of 8/27/05 HERE, but I'll only keep them there for a short time.

I originally took the photos where the monitor was the only light source and the camera ended up using less-than-ideal settings and as a result I believe the blotch was exaggerated. I tried to light the room to get the camera aperture to shut-down a bit more and repeated the photos.

It's impossible to say if the blotchiness I see is less than what ericjut sees. What I do see is not a problem and wouldn't affect my decision to purchase the set, although I am still questioning the unit as a stand-alone TV.

I agree with everyone so far that the picture quality on this set when used as a PC monitor is perfect. Not a single dead pixel for me, which is pretty good considering there's a couple million of 'em.

On a side-note, thanks to phussary for providing us with the link to the site that sells cables. That site should come in handy.
LL
post #288 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug316 View Post

Regarding the 1080i de-interlacing...I just realized, that just because the display is 1080p doesn't mean that a 1080i signal must be interlaced to display it... I am hoping that when displaying a 1080i signal, the pixels are simply drawn first on the even, then on the odd lines, as they are received in the input signal. This would mean that there's no conversion happening at all on the 1080i signal.

Can someone with a better background comment? I just can't imagine again scaling down/de-interlacing to 720p, losing resolution, then scaling back up. It would make having those 1080 lines useless.

Deinterlacing Info
Try the above link for all you ever wanted to know about deinterlacing.

What you describe would work fine for still pictures, but getting smooth motion pictures is more complicated. The basic problem is that most movies are shot at 24 frames per second, and NTSC video is based on 60 fields per second. 720p has 1 frame per field, so it is 60 frames per second. 1080i is 1 frame per 2 fields, so it is 30 frames per second. So 720p has a higher frame rate, and thus smoother motion. 1080i has higher resolution still pictures but more motion artifacts.

1080p is 60 frames per second compared to 30 for 1080i, so it requires twice the bandwidth, and can't be broadcast. Right now, the only source for 1080p video is from a computer video card. This TV is one of the first to be able to receive the 1080p protocol, so that makes it quite a deal for us computer video geeks!

1080i, 720p etc. are just serial data protocols for communication from another device into your TV set. The computer inside the TV converts this data stream into an array of pixels stored in its computer memory, to show on the screen. This TV apparently may incorrectly show that it is receiving 720p when actually receiving 1080i from the built in HDTV tuner.

Once the signal is deinterlaced (if necessary) and stored as an array of pixels, it must be reformatted for screen display with a "scaler". This just enlarges the picture to fit the screen. An array of pixels received as 1080i or 1080p is the same size as this TV screen, so they don't need scaling. All others must be enlarged, which creates new artifacts. Enlarging requires the generation of new pixels. Simple algorithms for enlarging tend to make diagonal lines jagged. Other more time consuming methods smooth out these jagged lines, but enlarged pictures are inevitably more blurred than full size original pictures. Since most video sources are 480i at the moment, the enlarger (scaler) is one of the most important subroutines in the TV internal computer program. Apparently, this TV displays good enlarged 480i video.

Hope this helps!
post #289 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Hi Benny,

I found that I had this buzz also, but once I plugged TV Audio into PC, buzz dissapeared.

Worth a try...

Dan K
post #290 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOS View Post

Like others have mentioned, when watching HD broadcasts, the picture seems grainy (noisy). If I use the sharpness control to hide the noise, the picture is too soft. It's difficult to say what's happening or if I'm just incredibly picky, which is entirely possible. The real test would be to compare the built-in tuner to the picture from an HD tuner in a PC, but I don't have one of those yet.

You are not incredibly picky... I have the new 32" and it has the same issue. The 32" is connected to an external HD tuner. The external HD tuner is clean on my other monitors and front projection monitor, but not clean on the Sceptre. I'm still on the fence about it being acceptable to me or not. Considering the 32" is under $1,000, I guess I can't expect more from it.
post #291 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 01:03 PM

What is the width of the spreakers? I want to find something narrow that I can substitute in place of the removable speakers that everyone seems to agree are lousy. I have a very limited amount of horizontal space for the TV and its speakers (or substitutes).

JER
post #292 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Is anybody using this set with an HD Tivo (Directv)? I was considering a setup like that and was wondering about the picture quality. How does it look with SD recordings? HD recordings? High compression vs. low compression recordings? Also, any tips about the setup? Should the Tivo be set to always output 1080i (I don't have an HD Tivo yet, so I'm just speculating here -- I'm not sure that's even an option, or if it depends on the resolution of the original broadcast)? Is there any difference between the quality of the HDMI and component outputs?

Thanks for any info,
Michael
post #293 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 03:29 PM

So OTA HDTV content on this thing is fuzzy? That sucks.. I mainly wanted to use this thing as a HTPC and sports watching...

Is it better than the westinghouse 37 at least?
post #294 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post

So the yellow output labeld "AV OUT" on the back panel isn't a digital coax output?

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...x37sv-Naga.htm

as far as I know it isn,t but I may be wrong, I havent tested it.

AVI divx or anything compressed does not show as well because of the resolution difference. They looked better on my 42" plasma. But of course there may be some smoothing techniques and filters that may fix this, I dont know too much about how to use em tho. I'll post some pics of SD from gamecube when I get a chance.

another thing I must mention is that the viewing angles on this thing is damn awesome
post #295 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 04:15 PM

I was curious about the speakers in the enclosure so I removed the 16 screws holding the enclosure together and took a couple pictures. They actually looked better than I was expecting. Two are 3" in diameter and the tweeter is 2". It shouldn't be too difficult to find better quality replacements.
LL
LL
post #296 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOS View Post

I was curious about the speakers in the enclosure so I removed the 16 screws holding the enclosure together and took a couple pictures. They actually looked better than I was expecting. Two are 3" in diameter and the tweeter is 2". It shouldn't be too difficult to find better quality replacements.

Guess the crossovers must be buildt into one of those cylinders on the back of one of the speakers?

post #297 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit View Post

Anyway, I haven't played around with it too much yet. But I hooked up a DVD player via component connects. I'm sort of disappointed with the quality of the picture. It is somewhat grainy. Has anyone else experienced this or primarily hooking up HD and/or computer?

I'm sure the HD will look much better, but will take me a little while to get that hooked up. I'll try hooking up my computer and see how that goes.

HD does look better. Much better. A DVD is basically good SD, and with an LCD, that shows everything, you see all the imperfections, including all the imperfections with MPEG2. I've played copied DVD's, that look great on a CRT, but on the Sceptre you see the compression artifacts even more. Of course it depends on the quality of the DVD too. I watched Sin City today, and it looked very good.
post #298 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly View Post

Hi Benny,

I found that I had this buzz also, but once I plugged TV Audio into PC, buzz dissapeared.

Worth a try...

Dan K

I don't have a PC to plug back into. I wonder why that solves the problem in your case? I'm connecting audio from a digital satellite receiver with an RCA to miniplug into PC audio in, to match HD 1080i video input with the DVI/HDMI cable.

I just tested the L/R audio output and the buzz is in that signal, too.

I also tried the subwoofer out with a powered KLH subwoofer, but it just magnifies the buzz, so it's unusable.

Mike G
post #299 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 05:25 PM

I'm curious about the AV Out jack -- it looks like an RCA video out, but I can't see any video on it when I test it, and I can't get any audio from it with a regular RCA cable. Does anyone know what it is?
post #300 of 3746 Old 08-27-2005, 05:31 PM

[quote=divtune]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post

That looks like a composite video output.

It 'is' composite out, which is nice in that you can record to a DVD burner....problem is...it looks terrible compared to other ATSC tuners I've tried.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page