Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn4burton View Post

Please report back with results from your component testing. I am already pretty confident that you'll be impressed with the PC input. But I don't have any component sources at the moment and I'd like to know how the TV performs with component input...

Depending on what type of sources you have for component...I'm interested to see what the highest resolution you get to display well with the component input. I assume 1080i would be about the highest you could go? I'm hoping/assuming the component input will accept 720p and 1080i signals...but I'd like to hear some real world experience since I don't have anyway to test this myself...

Should be able to do it tonight. The HD Tivo can be manually switched between 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. I'll give that a try and also try the Component in with my progressive scan DVD. Console gaming will have to wait till the weekend as I don't have the component cable for my PS2 yet and my Xbox and GC is out on loan. PC testing will have to be done with my Laptop but it should be ok since I have used it with the Dell 2405 before and it can do 1920x1080 from both the VGA and DVI ports but I don't think even the X700 in my laptop can drive HL2 at native so will have to drop to a lower res and give it a try. I'll probably take one of the Shuttle boxes I have at my office home over the weekend and that will let me try gaming at the higher res and it also have a ATI HDTV wonder so that would be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post

Thanks for the replys on the Z-5500 hum, I tried moving cables and different outlets. Took it back upstairs and could hear it until refridgerator kicked on (open living room/kitchen area). It is not a real loud hum by any means.

Has anyone with hum problems tried using a UPS to connect the TV and/or other AV equipment too? I have a big 2200 APC I connect the HTPC, tuner, projector... too. I also run all the power on one side of the rack and everything else on the other. It's smart to strive for separation of power and everything AV as best you can.

Another thought, is everything (all equipment) boded well to ground? I've not noticed a big benefit here, but it's supposed to be a smart thing to do. Just a thought...
post #453 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Just got mine and set it up. It's a much better TV comparing to my 32" Olevia LT32HV, except I don't care much for stand. Yeah the menus suck and the stand is just ok, but the picture quality and the blacks are amazing. Haven't checked out for any deadpixels, but I don't care. Will be hooked up to my z552 MCE PC 24x7

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #454 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:43 PM

[quote=RPMGOLFS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post

be fine. What a scare.

As Dan said. OTA signal thru the onboard ATSC tuner are all 720P at least on the info display. I did not have a chance to really compare station that is broadcasting in 1080i and those that was doing 720P. Will try to do that tonight to see if it's just a display bug or a limitation of the onboard tuner.

So if I have a OTA, I connect to the ATSC tuner to get the local HD? Any other programing that needs to take place?

Yes and no. THe connection is the easy part so just get a splitter for your OTA antenna and connect one to the ATSC tuner and one to the NTSC tuner. The confusing part is to get the channel scan to work. For the NTSC tuner, it pretty straight forwar, select the tuner using the AV source button then hit menu and find the auto scan. It's a bit more complicated for the ATSC. Use the PC source button to get to DTV (this maybe confusing for DirecTV user but in this case DTV refers to Digital TV or ATSC tuner), then push menu, then you have to select "Channel" and input the 4 digit code "0000" to access the channel function then you can do the auto scan.
post #455 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM

Great!!! Thanks for the information The instruction manual is written by a third grader for this monitor and not much help. I can't wait to watch some HD to night.
post #456 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I do have a DVI cable, but I was hoping to use the DVI for another component (Xbox360?). Is there any reason the VGA cable could not do 1920x1080? Maybe maybe the 9600 cannot?

FWIW the Xbox360 doesn't have a DVI or HDMI output, from all reports. In addition to component, though, it does have a VGA output. The PS3, OTOH, has (2) HDMI ports.

Hal
post #457 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone have recommended calibrations for this set for the DVI and Component ports =)?
post #458 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

FWIW the Xbox360 doesn't have a DVI or HDMI output, from all reports. In addition to component, though, it does have a VGA output. The PS3, OTOH, has (2) HDMI ports.

Cool, thanks. I will just use the DVI and hope something can use the VGA. This TV has soo few inputs, I hate to waste one. I guess all console have the ability to use 3rd party VGA adaptors.

Right not I will use DVI for the HTPC.
Component to my Reciever (100Mhz switch) for the DVD player and maybe the PS2 or something else.
Save VGA for later.

I think I will send back my Comcast HD box, I never watch it and I'd love to get rid of things to simplify. I'm too used to watching things on SageTV, even if it's not HD.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #459 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

Does anyone have recommended calibrations for this set for the DVI and Component ports =)?

That would be amazing, since I, too, will be primarily using DVI and component. Big thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to help out.. Biting my nails till Thurs at this point, I hate cross-country ground shipments; it's been since Aug 26 without any updates since the sucker left Calif.
post #460 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well From what I tested playing Halo 2 + forza on my Xbox at 480p and Soul Calibur 2 at 720p the component works just fine.

and I'm so so so so so so so so Very happy I dont get those STUPID BANDING Lines that I got with my 42" Vizio Plasma in 480p. Those annoyed the hell out of me and even Vizio's replacement set did that.
post #461 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divtune View Post

I'm pretty sure this is the same mount that Costco was selling:

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/pr...=640ST&sg=FPSS

If you click the installation tab on the page, there are 3 installation sheets listed.
Here's the first one:

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/pr...1-9338-1-2.PDF

It looks like it has all the screws to mount it on a single stud, or concrete.

Woah, thanks, I've been tryign to find out more info on this thing using costco's model number, but Peerless didn't show any models that I could find easily and matched. I then went by looks, and I picked some that looked like the ones you linked, and the % tilt were the same and everything, I thought those were newer models of the same.. Anyyyways.. thanks

And I am kidna bum to find out it's 1 studded one, will that be enough? I don't want it to fall on me. And what I was asking was if there are any extra things I can buy to strenghten this mount and such. Like I was just scanning some wall mount posts, and theres stuff about toggles(no idea) and all this extraneous stuff. So you don't think I'l need any extra help for this mount to hold?

But on to the TV itself, I am kinda confused reading some of these posts. Does this thing have an hdmi AND a DVI input, seperately? Or is it the same input, you can just use either connection? From what I gather, DVI and HDMI are basicly the same thing except an extra point thing or 2.
post #462 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydee View Post

Woah, thanks, I've been tryign to find out more info on this thing using costco's model number, but Peerless didn't show any models that I could find easily and matched. I then went by looks, and I picked some that looked like the ones you linked, and the % tilt were the same and everything, I thought those were newer models of the same.. Anyyyways.. thanks

And I am kidna bum to find out it's 1 studded one, will that be enough? I don't want it to fall on me. And what I was asking was if there are any extra things I can buy to strenghten this mount and such. Like I was just scanning some wall mount posts, and theres stuff about toggles(no idea) and all this extraneous stuff. So you don't think I'l need any extra help for this mount to hold?

But on to the TV itself, I am kinda confused reading some of these posts. Does this thing have an hdmi AND a DVI input, seperately? Or is it the same input, you can just use either connection? From what I gather, DVI and HDMI are basicly the same thing except an extra point thing or 2.

Same Input, Different modes
post #463 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Ok here's my review :-p

Appearance wise the set looks nice.

The scalier/deinterlacer is not per my standard.

Cable TV is grainy ... which i didn't have in neither my Panasonic 50'' lcd nor 32'' CRT

I connected the same KISS dvd that i used with my 50'' pana. And the picture is noticeably worse.

There is no Panoramic wide screen for 4:3 material.... unless i didn't notice.

It's not a keeper for me because i really won't connect it to a PC.

I'm also noticing some ghosting... am i hallucinating??

----------------------------------------------
post #464 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 PM

Mine was delivered yesterday afternoon. It could be that I am brain damaged, but it also might be the God-awful instruction book. In any case, it took me a long time to even figure out how to get the thing to scan for both analog and digital channels.

My first takes:

Even though I have a good solid signal from all of the local channels, The picture quality on the analog OTA channels is really lousy. On the other hand, the OTA digital stuff in SD is not bad at all. And the SD feeds from my ancient Dish Network Model 5000 receiver are very good. Bascially, they all look about the same as they looked on my Toshiba 26" tube.

I will have to wait and see what the Dish HD stuff looks like when I have my new 921 receiver / DVR up and running tomorrow. I am also looking forward to seeing how the OTA HDTV pictures later on this evening.

It is going to take days before I feel comfortable with this set. Without a decent instruction manual, learning the commands and interactions is going to be a big cut-and-try exercise.

As for the sound quality, I have to say that I am not as bent out of shape about it as others in this thread seem to be. There are four or five equalization curves, including a 'user' designated one. To me, the 'Cinema' curve seemed pretty good. Perhaps some of the others have not stumbled upon this adjustment.

JER
post #465 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydee View Post

This TV only weighs 54 pounds without the stand, maybe even less without the speakers. The mount is rated at 80 pounds, so you should be fine on one stud. Be sure the screws are as close to the center of the stud as possible.

The main problem will be if the stud isn't in the right position where you want the TV. The horizontal mounting bars are only 474 mm wide, and the TV mounting holes are 425mm apart, so you won't have any room to slide the TV left or right on the mount.

I kind of like the "French cleat" idea for a wall mount between 2 studs, although it wouldn't tilt.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html
post #466 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed View Post

Ok here's my review :-p

Appearance wise the set looks nice.

The scalier/deinterlacer is not per my standard.

Cable TV is grainy ... which i didn't have in neither my Panasonic 50'' lcd nor 32'' CRT

I connected the same KISS dvd that i used with my 50'' pana. And the picture is noticeably worse.

There is no Panoramic wide screen for 4:3 material.... unless i didn't notice.

It's not a keeper for me because i really won't connect it to a PC.

Appearance wise was the only thing that's a let down IMHO, especially the stand. Isn't regular cable TV going to be always grainy?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #467 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I connected it to DVI (it has a weird plug, had to use their cable). I can get it to 1920x1980 30Hz, at 60Hz my screen is going nuts. I assume my lowly 9600NP can't handle that high a res. Sound right?

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #468 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

Appearance wise was the only thing that's a let down IMHO, especially the stand. Isn't regular cable TV going to be always grainy?

No ... the picture quality is better when i play it through my replaytv.

Which means the tuner isn't really the best of the bunch.

I think the ghosting is due to the scaler video proccessor because in 1920x1080 HTPC mode .. there's no ghosting or so it seems.

----------------------------------------------
post #469 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reeve View Post

...As for the sound quality, I have to say that I am not as bent out of shape about it as others in this thread seem to be. There are four or five equalization curves, including a 'user' designated one. To me, the 'Cinema' curve seemed pretty good. Perhaps some of the others have not stumbled upon this adjustment.

Could you give me some pointers where to find these audio settings? I thought I had discovered every setup screen but apparently I'm missing one.
post #470 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

how many of you guys returning or keeping it?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #471 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoncolln View Post

Given the mount is a 200x200mm and the TV is 200mm vertical by 440mm horizontal mounting, we can probably get two pieces of flat metal (steel or thicker aluminum) abbout 18" long and mount them to the TV horizontally. This will allow us to connect them to the mount. I'd probably connect two vertical pieces of metal to the horizontal ones to add rigidity and to help keep the unit stable. Another option would be to use square tubing for the needed rigidity. You could also use a solid plate, but that will likely block some of the TV's vents as well as add weight to the unit.

A couple of the other items (not the TV) from my order shipped yesterday, so it looks like they didn't cancel my order this time.

Makes sense, as I started thinking about it I came to the same conclusion - figure out how to use that plate with a trip to the hardware store. Would certainly be cheaper than trying to find a plate. I should be able to handle that much metal work.

Thanks...
post #472 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:26 PM

Well, I am now typing on my laptop running at 1920x1080 @60hz. at a distance of about 7-8 feet and the font is a bit small in the reply window to see clearly but the forum messages are fine when I set the desktop to 120 dpi fonts. I also have some video noise on a dark backbround but it may be the DVI to HDMI cable that comes with the HD Tivo. Will try with the one that comes with the unit next otherwise may have to invest in some good shield cables (just change to the DVI to HDMI that came with the panel and the noise is gone). The one concern I have is that the next lower supported widescreen resolution is 1280x720 (which I don't have on my laptop) so I have to see if I can come up with a hacked driver that let me customize my res.

Ok, onto the PC performance. Once I have the good cable hooked up. Things were as great as what others have said. I played a bunch of WMV HD samples both in 1080p and 720p and they are all stunning. I didn't have a chance to try HL2 yet but I ran City of Heroes in full screen and windowed mode and things works great. I did have a bit of clipping on fast movement but that's probably my laptop GPU hitting it's limit. It should be a lot of fun when I get the shuttle box home from the office with it's more powerful graphics card.

On to Component input, I switched my HD Tivo from HDMI to Component since I have that HDMI output problem with the HD Tivo (hopefully will update software later tonight). Since I mentioned in my earlier post that I won't be depending on the built-in ATSC tuner much. My observation is going to be mostly by playing recorded SD and HD programs, SD and HD Broadcast and switching the HD Tivo output format between 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i using the component input.

1st up, we got recorded SD shows in 4:3 mode:

480i looks preety good, not the quality of my 35" JVC tube but acceptable. 480p gives about the same detail but the color seems richer. 720p is about the same as 480p with a bit better detail and 1080i offers the most detail but the color is not as rich as with progressive scan. The difference is so fine that unless I freeze the picture (which does induce a bit of noise). You will have a hard time telling the difference. At 1080i it's very close to my CRT.

One problem that you will have with SD broadcast in widescreen format. You either leave it in 4:3 mode and get a reduce size image with black bar on top and bottom like on standard 4:3 set or you use one of the zoom function. Unfortunately none of them will give you a perfect stretch. The closest you'll probably get is the full zoom option but you'll lose a bit at top and bottom during the program and a lot when commercials are playing.

For HD recording, I selected a variety of programs. I got Discovery HD from DTV and OTA broadcast of network TV series like NCIS, Lost (which I was told most were upscan to 1080i from a lower source) to The Tonight Show (which is suppose to be true 1080i).

One thing for sure, I can definately tell the difference between the series type show and the live shows. Switching between the varies output mode produce about the same results on the color richness and the difference between each resolution jump is more dramatic.

This is getting a lot longer than I intended so I'll be brief on the live TV experience. I guess the HD Tivo deserve the credit as there is very little if any difference between the recording and live version of the same show. The easiest way I tried was to tune to a program live and hit pause, wait a few secong and hit play and watch from the buffer. I don't really notice any difference between the two.

Bottomline. switching betwen the varies output mode on component will produce pictures of different detail and color saturation but they all look very good and while the 480i image is not quite up to the standard of a CRT. The difference in not large enough at a distance of 7-8 feet for me to feel it's a problem.

This is also taking a lot longer than I thought, I started this message about 2 hours ago and have been writing as I tried thing out. I;m going to take a break and actually watch something on this thing for fun. I'll get to the DVD performance over component later (maybe when I get my xbox back this weekend)
post #473 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:

I'm definately keeping mine unless I ran into some big problem in the next few days. It works well enough for my purpose (part PC, part monitor and a small part TV).
post #474 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:39 PM

I'm still waiting for shipment of my 8/23/05 order.

But I did take a look at the Sharp 37D5U which just appeared at my local Costco for $2000. It's hard to tell much at a glance, but the screen image didn't seem quite as good as the other models (which cost $1,000 more). It has an impressive feature set, but no PIP compared with the Sceptre. The screen pixel size is only 1366X768, not as good as the Sceptre. The speakers aren't detachable, which is a problem for me because I don't have the width available for speakers on the side in my setup. All the screen specs on the Sceptre are better than the Sharp, including resolution, contrast, brightness and response time. It looks like Sceptre has a much better screen, but lower quality everything else.

The Sharp web site sure is nicer than the Sceptre. It even has a PDF file of the full manual.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...,1494-,00.html

So I'll keep waiting for the Sceptre for now. But the new Sharp does seem like a good option for people not happy with the alleged OTA TV clunkiness of the Sceptre.
post #475 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post

<<>> This is also taking a lot longer than I thought, I started this message about 2 hours ago and have been writing as I tried thing out. I;m going to take a break and actually watch something on this thing for fun. I'll get to the DVD performance over component later (maybe when I get my xbox back this weekend)

Thanks a million for an excellent review!
post #476 of 3746 Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a word of caution regarding the Sharp, Philips or any other 37" TV sets from consummer companies.

I can't actually talk about the Sharp, but I tried to get the Philips 32" last weekend as a potential replacement for the Sceptre since I'm getting so many issues with mine. And while I was thoroughly pleased with the TV capabilities of the Philips, I was horrified by the total lack of computer capabilities:

1. It didn't support 1:1 pixel ratio via the HDMI inputs (so I couldn't get 1366X768).
2. While their documentation listed 1280X768 as a valid computer resolution, it didn't support it on either of my video cards.
3. The only two resolutions I was able to "see" something was 1280X720 and 1024X768. But 720 has a monstruous crop of about 20 pixels on all sides, and the 1024X768 was stretched with no apparent way to do pillar boxing.
4. As weird as it may seem, both my video card outputs looked like they were sending an analog signal on the DVI-HDMI cable (I was seeing some weird ghosting effect that I was used to see on analog VGA cable).

After a couple of hours testing with it, I gave up and got my money back and decided to keep the Sceptre for now.

All of this to warn you if you're looking for a substitute for the Sceptre and you're planning to also use it as a PC monitor, make sure to do a some research regarding it PC capabilities. I don't know about the Sharp... but the Philips models that Costco is selling right now are NOT PC friendly. :/

-eric
post #477 of 3746 Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Just unpacked mine tonite...10 minutes after getting OTA pictures (setup is really non-trivial!) the warden (wife) grabbed the remote & spent the entire evening transfixed watching PBS (boring TV) in 1080i. If I were to return the set, I'd be spending quality time with the dog...we're very pleased with the image quality/cost.

Based on earlier posts, I never even bothered to unwrap the Sceptre speakers--I temporarily connected some KLH (el cheapos) bookshelf speakers & sound seems to be fine.

A big thanks to all the great posters about the pros/cons of this unit and the details for setup. Whoever said the manual was crap clearly was understating the case. (I'm nominating it for the worst owner manual Hall of Shame.) I still have a few questions, but until I get the remote out off my wife's sweaty paw, I can't finish setting it up properly.

A few quick questions--is there any UL certification on your unit? (not on mine...)
Also, it'd be interesting to see roughly how many units have been shipped. I think we can estimate based on the serial numbers. Mine's 531A1001SC2201.

Thanks again for all the collective wisdom!
post #478 of 3746 Old 08-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut View Post

but the Philips models that Costco is selling right now are NOT PC friendly. :/

-eric

why? I was looking to get the one for 2.5k

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #479 of 3746 Old 08-31-2005, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you read my post at all? Both 32" and 37" have the same circuitry, and thus the same PC connection problems. Consider yourself warned.

-eric
post #480 of 3746 Old 08-31-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:

1366x768 is just not a friendly PC resolution, you'll most likely have to hack you driver to get it. Also, most HDMI input (unless they have a native option) overscan the input and then crop to fit the screen that mean even if you can get 1366x768 out of your videocard. unless the unit have a true native option under HDMI or DVI input. you still will not get a native 1:1 image.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page