post #91 of 1432 Old 11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

I thought I would start this so owners can compare settings and discuss any issues.
These are my settings for OTA. I have different ones for my DVD player if anyone is interested.

My current settings are: (I am going from memory so these might be out of order)

Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 65 (i have found that turning up the brightness and turning down the backlight gives more shadow detail)
Color: 48
Sharpness: 18
Tint: Neutral
Color Temp: Warm 1
Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced
Black Corrector: Low
Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off - I recently changed this. I found that it added a blue tint to the whites
Live Color: low
Color Space: Wide

Dful... what are you watching with these settings? Hd cable, sat....dvd? I just tried them with my time warner cable box (scientific atlanta 8300) and they look completley washed out.

Anyone else have settings to share?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1432 Old 11-20-2005, 07:42 PM

I swapped my Samsung LN-R329D for a Sony KDL-V32XBR1 tv today. Best decision I've made in months. Out of the box it's in Vivid mode. I put that in Standard and turned the brightness down to 60 and the sharpness down to 20. Made a big difference viewing a dvd. Eliminated ringing and aliasing.
I love this set. The Samsung had a false contouring issue as well as clayface on Standard channels.
So far, no false contouring on the Sony during the same scenes that were loaded with it on the Samsung.
HD cable looks great. Standard analog cable is grainy alright but not blocky or pixelated. Just grainy and noisy. Digital channels look good, HD channels are superb.
I find the black level better than the Samsung already and I haven't even scratched the surface of the settings!
post #93 of 1432 Old 11-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Does anyone have opinions on how the 32XBR1 would compare to the 30XBR910 (Tube), PQ wise? I've been really disappointed with the 910, mainly because it has some pretty severe hue/noise/banding issues on the right side (purity related I imagine, the reason I hate CRTs). It's the kind that just screams at you on solid color horizontal pans (such as sky pans, I just cringe). I really wanted to take the thing back the first week I had it, but unfortunately, the fact that it's around 170 lbs and resides on the second floor (around 20 steps steep) makes it nightmare to man handle. So, I was kinda forced to just live with it.

Is anyone here coming off of one of Sony's WS tubes? (I imagine at least a few of you are) Which would you say you prefer, and what are the main shortcomings/differences you noticed? Being that I sit ~4' back, screen size isn't a major determinate, but I'm wondering if perhaps a DLP might be a better choice since I understand I'm really only paying for the direct view LCD's depth (which aside from weight, is irrelevant so far as I'm concerned).

Before I purchased the V40XBR I had purchased a 34xbr960 top of the line CRT and evaluated it at my home for 3 weeks...I was disappointed being as I have 6 Sont CRT tv's in various sizes and it did not look and give me the WOW factor I was looking for in a HD set. That was my first realization to look at the plama sets and also the lcd sets that were available. The sony stood above the crowd IMO.
post #94 of 1432 Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejetcool View Post

Before I purchased the V40XBR I had purchased a 34xbr960 top of the line CRT and evaluated it at my home for 3 weeks...I was disappointed being as I have 6 Sont CRT tv's in various sizes and it did not look and give me the WOW factor I was looking for in a HD set. That was my first realization to look at the plama sets and also the lcd sets that were available. The sony stood above the crowd IMO.

Well, I'd hope so, seeing that you can buy 2 XBR 960's for the price of one 40" Bravia XBR.

Anyways, I had to return my HP 42PL00N plasma this morning due to the persistence of odd, yellow flashes. I have now resumed my search for a new HDTV (will it never end?) and I think I've limited my search to these two sets.

I've seen a host of material on the Bravia and thought it looked pretty great in-store. I know many people have warned that the set doesn't handle dark areas and shadow detail very well, and that's a major concern to me, but I was pretty satisfied with what I saw at CC. Now, this might not be the case once I get this thing home and set up in the proper enviornment, but Xbox 360 comes out tomorrow and it's time to get a new TV!

Decisions, decisions!
post #95 of 1432 Old 11-21-2005, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

I know many people have warned that the set doesn't handle dark areas and shadow detail very well, and that's a major concern to me, but I was pretty satisfied with what I saw at CC.

It handles shadow detail fine at LCD black levels. It is just if you are coming from plasma and want to tune the black levels closer to plasma, the dark details go away. Some people are bothered by LCD black levels, some are not. IMO in daytime use, the dark levels are not an issue. Night time, some people are bothered, some are not.
post #96 of 1432 Old 11-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a quirky thing that just happened: when I first set up my kdl-v32 i originally had the cable box outs set at 480i and 1080i... yesterday, I also set 720p... when I changed to a 720p broadcast, the sony showed the picture beautifully... I changed through the channels and everything worked perfectly, but at some point the screen froze up completely... half black, half white. This happened a few other times, but only when 720p is activated on the cable box. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
post #97 of 1432 Old 11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

I've seen a host of material on the Bravia and thought it looked pretty great in-store. I know many people have warned that the set doesn't handle dark areas and shadow detail very well, and that's a major concern to me, but I was pretty satisfied with what I saw at CC. Now, this might not be the case once I get this thing home and set up in the proper enviornment, but Xbox 360 comes out tomorrow and it's time to get a new TV!

Decisions, decisions!

Yoda, I'll say this, having tested almost all of the big name LCDs, I can honestly say the Bravia handles dark scenes better than any of them. Are they perfect? Certainly not, but if you're in the market for LCD, I don't think you can do better than the Bravia.
post #98 of 1432 Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 PM

The Bravia XBR, for me, is the end of the LCD panel road. I started with a Digistar Walmart house brand(Prima clone). It was horrific. Bright back light, no contrast, you couldn't see what was going on half the time! Then I tried 3 Samsung models. The Samsung was much better, but had issues like clayface and false contouring. The autobrightness controlled the backlight, but it wasn't 100% satisfactory, really.
The Sony is a step up from the Samsung to be sure. The false contouring and clayface issues are gone. The only "artifact" that I see on the Sony that wasn't present on the Samsung is a slight digital grain.
Dvd's look great. Hi def looks great too. You do have to adjust the set to minimize the grain, if that is an artifact that bothers you. Right up close to the set you can see this slight grain. From a normal viewing distance it becomes basically imperceptable. I have the sharpness down to 20. May lower it some more. Also, I have the contrast down to about 60. I have to use my Digital Video Essentials disc this weekend to really calibrate it better. I do seem to be seeing a bit of a green push in the picture, which I hope to minimize.
I like the black level and find that there is more detail in dark scenes than I could see on the Samsung. Should be better after I adjust it properly.
One thing I had to do with the Samsung is ditch the Panny upconverting dvd player. I picked up the Sony DVP-NS70H, which seems better for LCD panels. No macroblocking enhance. There is a 'vertical shift' issue in the 720p and 1080i modes though. I am using it in the 480p mode via the HDMI output. That connection itself gives the image more clarity, albeit in a subtle manner.
What I've learned is every LCD panel has its good and bad points. It's definitely a tossup between the Samsung and this XBR for true hi-def programs. Super slight grain vs minimized false contouring!
post #99 of 1432 Old 11-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post

I have an old Toshiba DVD hooked up through component. From 6 feet it looks very nice but I thought I would get a more HD image. The DVD is outputting 480i. If I buy a new DVD player that outputs 720 or 1080i, will my DVD pic look a lot better? If so, any suggestions?

Thank you.

By all means it will look better. I have two DVD players, a Sony 777ES carousel where I store all of my DVDs which outputs 720p converted through my tuner and a cheap single play Momitsu which outputs 720p or 1080i and region-free which outputs a magificent picture for the price, around 2 Franklins. Now, it can be flaky but if you get a good one, it is very, very nice.

My .02

Cheers!
post #100 of 1432 Old 11-22-2005, 10:09 AM

Any info on when the 46" Bravia will be released in US?
post #101 of 1432 Old 11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just do a simple run through the better on-line resellers and you'll find it for a better price, however, you'll need to add shipping in there, and that Micro Center price may seem okay with that in consideration...if you live close enough to one of their stores. In our case, we need to factor in 6% sales tax, so that makes shipping seem reasonable!
post #102 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I was in Best Buy yesterday to pick up a few gift CDs, and, as usual, I browsed by the TVs, and I noticed that the price for the 40XBR1 is now $$$$ -- $300 above list! What do you make of this? TV prices are supposed to go down, not up!

This TV is in short supply, I think, so do you think Best Buy is just seeing a short-term opportunity? Best Buy's obvious competitors -- Circuit City and Crutchfield -- still advertise the TV at MSRP, so I kinda wonder what's up. Anybody else notice this?
post #103 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 AM

I noticed the price change last Friday when Best Buy received a huge shipment. They were the first to receive the large shipment. The sales guy told me that I was lucky to be able to buy it at the original MSRP since the price was going up. I chose to walk away since I have it on order for much less. Once the supply catches up, they'll have to bring the price down.
post #104 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmmmmm . . . I understand and appreciate the free market, so I'm OK with price changes relative to supply and demand, but are you suggesting that Sony has actually raised the MSRP? (If so, that would be weird.) Or is Best Buy charging a seasonal premium? (Less weird, maybe.)

I don't intend to buy one until after New Year's, but if I can't get it at the original MSRP (at most), then no deal.
post #105 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post

I was in Best Buy yesterday to pick up a few gift CDs, and, as usual, I browsed by the TVs, and I noticed that the price for the 40XBR1 is now $$$$ -- $300 above list! What do you make of this? TV prices are supposed to go down, not up!

This TV is in short supply, I think, so do you think Best Buy is just seeing a short-term opportunity? Best Buy's obvious competitors -- Circuit City and Crutchfield -- still advertise the TV at MSRP, so I kinda wonder what's up. Anybody else notice this?

Yeah, that BB price increase on the 40XBR1 also caught my eye on Sunday when I was visiting one of their stores. The BB web site also shows the increase. I have no idea why BB -- and apparently only BB -- did this. (The BB 32XBR1 and the 26XBR1 prices remain the same, though.) But at least it made my 40XBR1 purchase a few weeks ago at a GoodGuys' going-out-of-business sale seem all the better.

I'm curious to see how soon it will be before BB puts their price back to at least the MSRP.
post #106 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatusky View Post

I have no idea why BB -- and apparently only BB -- did this . . . I'm curious to see how soon it will be before BB puts their price back to at least the MSRP.

It struck me the same way. I looked at various web sites -- Circuit City, Crutchfield, Tweeter, SonyStyle itself -- and they all show the original MSRP . . . except for Best Buy.

For the moment, I'm sticking with my speculative theory that Best Buy procured a large order and has units for immediate delivery whereas its competitors do not. I've heard of certain cars being sold at above-list premiums, but I've never noticed it with consumer electronics, and I've always owned some relatively high end stuff. Interesting.
post #107 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 AM

For the record, the SonyStyle web site still lists the MSRP for the 40XBR1 as $3499. But, of course, this web site never even acknowledged the existence of the 40XBR1 until well after it was shipping. So I guess that an official MSRP increase could have happened as per that comment by the BB salesman.
post #108 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 08:32 AM

I only saw this in the local newspaper 2 weeks ago.........

OH HELL YES!!!

After 3 months of waiting, it finally arrived in my country.

They all look stunning indeed..............

HOWEVER, there was one particular model that really caught my attention and this was the top-of-the-line model shown in the newspaper:

Ever since then, I was totally amazed by its sleek and sophisticated design and also by its features (the Wide Color Gamut-CCFL and stuff).

Also, I can say that with the kind of price tag it has, it would automatically blow the Sharp 45' Aquos, the Philips Pixel Plus 2 LCD with the ambi light and the Panasonic Viera OUT OF THE WATER (in terms of unit price).

Perhaps what I wanna ask is this:

What do you guys think about this model (the one shown above)???

I'm persuading my Dad to buy this for Christmas but I want to be assured if buying this would be a great choice.

In other words, would this be a great choice???
post #109 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post

It struck me the same way. I looked at various web sites -- Circuit City, Crutchfield, Tweeter, SonyStyle itself -- and they all show the original MSRP . . . except for Best Buy.

For the moment, I'm sticking with my speculative theory that Best Buy procured a large order and has units for immediate delivery whereas its competitors do not. I've heard of certain cars being sold at above-list premiums, but I've never noticed it with consumer electronics, and I've always owned some relatively high end stuff. Interesting.

I believe you are correct. I have been working on a deal to get a new 40" at a discounted price & have seen the excessive price listed in Best Buy computers. The only rational explanation is the one you posed. The BB employees that I spoke with could not understand the increase, either. If they want to buy the 40" model they must pay the exaggerated price as well, even though they can get the normal discounted price for the 32" model - go figure.

One word of hope that I heard: check back with BB on Friday; the price could very well change.
post #110 of 1432 Old 11-23-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Blackraven, everytime I've seen the 40" Bravia, I've been VERY impressed. It's really a superb LCD and better IMO than other LCDs around that screen size.
post #111 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 AM

I'm curious as to why this thread is so small? For a lot of other televisions the threads are over 100 pages long, yet the Bravia thread is only 4 pages long. Is this TV just not very popular? Do people in general not like LCD TVs? Is the price too much? Just wondering...
post #112 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 04:10 PM

Hi,
I posted early but it was pulled ...i think because of price discussion...so i apologize for that. I too don't understand the increase at BB as most of these places have price matching, so you won't have to pay that overprice if that's where you wanted to get the tv.
I did pick up the 40" Bravia and love it! I owe a great thanks to members in this thread who posted thier setting. When i got it home and hooked it up ...i was sooooo sad!!! The SD looked horrible....live action dvd's as well. The only thing that looked good was animated dvd films. I was ready to take it back, then i checked out this thread and calibrated everything as listed here. Now it kicks butt. The SD looks almost as good as my old CRT...in some cases better. DVD's ..all of 'em are amazing, and the few HD channels i currently have are stunning. So thanks for the tips! This set won me over when i saw it in the showrooms and i'm really happy with it now.
post #113 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Can I post price here?? I bought the TV from Best Buy on Black Friday and got a significant discount off MSRP.
post #114 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post

Can I post price here?? I bought the TV from Best Buy on Black Friday and got a significant discount off MSRP.

It's against forum rules, and it is greatly appreciated if you do not do it.
post #115 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Please PM me the price.
Thanks
RP
post #116 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

MODS NOTE:

This is the last friendly reminder about not posting prices, talking about sales, discounts, coupons, etc.

Thread will be closed without further notice.

Thanks.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #117 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euckersw View Post

I'm curious as to why this thread is so small? For a lot of other televisions the threads are over 100 pages long, yet the Bravia thread is only 4 pages long. Is this TV just not very popular? Do people in general not like LCD TVs? Is the price too much? Just wondering...

Most likely because of the asking price.
post #118 of 1432 Old 11-26-2005, 10:30 PM

This may sound a bit odd for someone posting in this forum, but personally, I'd just as soon not have a TV in the house. (I've sent all my siblings a copy of "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" by Gerry Mander.)

But my wife wanted to get one for a small "TV room" we've just fixed up, and it gets the TV out of our bedroom, so I dived into the project. We needed LCD because we needed as minimal depth as possible. HD seemed like a smart move since that's where the industry is headed.

We don't have cable or a "home theater" and OTA and DVD are the sources we watch.

I'm both a critical and skeptical consumer, but I also would rather pay more for a good quality product than save a few bucks and be unhappy with the result.

With all that background in mind ...

I just purchased a KDL-V26XBR1 with Sony DVP-NS70H and Terek HDTVi from CC. Monster Cable HDMI between the DVD player and LCD.

Eugene has limited stores at which we could view TVs, and the CC here has a miserable feed and not very knowledgeable staff. So it was a bit of a "leap of faith" after viewing a variety of competitive models at CC and other places and reading posts here and in other forums.

I've done some basic adjustments -- obviously not using the absurd "vivid" picture setting, etc. (What an insult to consumers!) Will do more once I get the DVE DVD. I'll post once I've settled on our preferences.

This is obvious, but bears repeating for other "newbies", like me -- Adjustments, source material, and antenna reception are critical. Without a few basic setup changes, and with the antenna not properly positioned, the images were subpar, regardless of the source.

However, once I got things setup decently and watched some great HD content from PBS -- Holy Cow! So this is what the HDTV excitement is all about?!

Given that the competitive models I viewed suffered from the same lame B&M environment that the Sony did, I can't say it's better than other alternatives. But on the HDTV material it was really fine. Very nice detail, even in dark images. Beautiful, natural looking color. Handled motion well.

I can say at this point, the XBR does does meet my threshold for HD viewing, and I'm satisfied with the choice.

OTOH ... I'll work on adjustments some more, but for now I would hardly recommend the expense for what you see with SD broadcasts. (But I guess that's not the point of buying an HD TV, is it?)

My verdict's out on DVDs at this point. The couple of movies we've watched look good, but nowhere near the impact of the PBS (true) HDTV content.

Verdict is also still out on the Terek HDTVi antenna. The small base is definitely a nuisance; and, being a directional antenna, it's a hassle to move it around for different stations. But we may narrow our "favorite" channels down enough that we can get the antenna set and forget about it. It does seem to receive well when pointed at a mid-distance source.

BTW, I don't know who cooked up the "viewing distance" tables I've seen, but we are exactly 7' from the 26" screen, and (contrary to what I've read) that is just barely far enough away for pleasant viewing. I think 8' is a more reasonable minimum for a 26" screen and a 23" screen might have been a better size for our room. The clarity, motion, etc. is fine. It's just that a full 26" screen with an active image seems to me to be at the limits of the width where you can maintain focus without lots of eye movement. (But keep in mind, I'm a person who prefers reading a book.)

-- Paul
post #119 of 1432 Old 11-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Need some help.

Just got the 40" from Fry's Electronics yesterday and need some suggestions on hook up. Last one in stock, fresh in the box. Called neighbor with SUV he was there in minutes.

I have a Bose 321 Series II system that I currently run everything through, meaning from Comcast stb to Bose then to TV. Looking for the optimum set up with these three units. Then the routing for the Bose DVD function to the TV.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

By the by, I paid less than retail. PM me for the price.
post #120 of 1432 Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I picked up the 40" Bravia at P.C. Richard's in Ledgewood, NJ last night. Well, I didn't really pick one up since it's out of stock, but new stock is expected to arrive in a couple weeks and I couldn't pass up the price.

After reading the posts here and playing with the set's adjustments in CC, I was convinced that this LCD was something special compared to the rest. Still, that's in-store with a mediocre feed, so it's not a certainty by any means. I got the manager at PCR to offer the same return policy as CC (not their official policy, but I got it in writing), so I felt a lot better about the leap of faith I was taking. They said it could be up to a month before it arrives, but it was worth the short wait for the discount.

I'll post back here once I have it in my hands and have calibrated it properly.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 40 Inch Kdl40bx450
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page