Official Sony KDL-V26/32/40XBR1 Bravia LCD Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I would start this so owners can compare settings and discuss any issues.
These are my settings for OTA. I have different ones for my DVD player if anyone is interested.

My current settings are: (I am going from memory so these might be out of order)

Backlight: 3
Picture: 88
Brightness: 52
Color: 48
Sharpness: 15
Tint: Neutral
Color Temp: Warm 1
Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced
Black Corrector: Off
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off - I found that it added a blue tint to the whites
Live Color: Off- adds some noise to bright reds
Color Space: Wide

*Updated 7/5/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dfluid wow , your setting are almost dead on for me,, I have the

sharpness at 14 and the colour ar 46

I used the Avia Disc for the the calibration.
post #3 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM

Excellent idea. Anybody been into the service menu yet??>?? how can I get there?
post #4 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 11:32 AM

hehe time to bookmark this thread for when I grab one of these babies. Still undecided between the 32 and the 40.
post #5 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 11:46 AM

I'll put in these settings and take pictures compared to the Sharp. btw is this for DVD? STB? or OTA? Each will have different settings.
post #6 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme View Post

I'll put in these settings and take pictures compared to the Sharp. btw is this for DVD? STB? or OTA? Each will have different settings.

Good questions. I have my DirecTV STB (LG) outputting at native res hooked up via its DVI out (converter cable) to the HDMI in on the Sony 32" XBR. I'm wondering how different the settings would be on HDMI in vs. component?
post #7 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Good thread to start. I hope it des not get
HiJacked by sharp and panny owners.

jl
post #8 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Kind of off-topic, but I've read several of your review threads and it got me curious. Do you plan on keeping both sets or what's the deal? Just curious as to which way you personally lean.

THanks for all your great work.
post #9 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlwas View Post

Good thread to start. I hope it des not get
HiJacked by sharp and panny owners.

jl

It's already starting. Now, all we need is OLDCBAND to chime in with his RIDICULOUS rationalizations for buying his Sharp at Costco!
post #10 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Dfluid wow , your setting are almost dead on for me,, I have the

sharpness at 14 and the colour ar 46

I used the Avia Disc for the the calibration.

That's hilarious. I adjusted those all on my own so guess I have a good eye I used to have sharpness at 15 and color at 45, even closer, but I like the look of a slightly enhanced image. This LCD is so amazing at displaying rich vivid colors. I was watching Lost tonight and I was continously impressed with everything from jungle foliage, to Korean wardrobes
post #11 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is OTA. I mainly watch OTA and Xbox on this set. I have not hooked it up to any STB yet.

Note to Bluesextreme- I remember reading that black level is a big concern for you. If you want the picture to be as dark as possible, beyond the blacklight and brightness adjustments, turn the contrast enhancer off and the black corrector on high
post #12 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Try these settings to see if you like it:

Backlight (whatever you want, i'm in a bright room: 8)
Picture: 90
Brightness: 45
Color: 41
Hue: G2
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
NR: Off
Black Corrector: High
Constrast: off
Gamma: off
Clear White: High
Live Color: High
Color Space: Wide

Looks pretty good to me.
post #13 of 1432 Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Please make sure to post what the input is (DVD player, cable, etc. ) AND the cabling used as well (HDMI or component).

If its the settings for your DVD input I'd be curious to know if you're using an upconverter player and what resolution its pushing.

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
post #14 of 1432 Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 PM

Bump
post #15 of 1432 Old 10-22-2005, 11:17 AM

DFul4d, thanks for posting those settings! You saved me so much work. bluesxtreme, yours are pretty good too. DFul4d's take some getting used to, as they are you know, videofile quality, not homer-vivid, but the extra shadow detail, and great skin tones are worth it. I just bumped the backlight to 3 as we watch lots of cartoons. :-)

--Pizpot
pizpot@shaw.ca
post #16 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

This is OTA. I mainly watch OTA and Xbox on this set. I have not hooked it up to any STB yet.

Note to Bluesextreme- I remember reading that black level is a big concern for you. If you want the picture to be as dark as possible, beyond the blacklight and brightness adjustments, turn the contrast enhancer off and the black corrector on high

DFul4d
I am also using this set mainly on OTA and Xbox. Can you tell me which antenna is good? And, did you change any of your settings? Thanks
post #17 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Hi bluesxtreme, when you take the pictures I was wondering if you could perhaps increase the shutter speed on your digital camera settings or just freeze the image on the screens, that way the images wouldn't be so blurry. Since the monitors are outputting light increasing shutter speed shouldn't really be an issue in making the photos darker, and almost all digital cameras have an option for changing the shutter speed, or at least an option for action shots. Thanks!
post #18 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDragonFly View Post

DFul4d
I am also using this set mainly on OTA and Xbox. Can you tell me which antenna is good? And, did you change any of your settings? Thanks

I only have one antenna and it works ok. I think there are some other areas on this site that could give you better advice on antennas than I could. I am not sure what you mean by your second question.
post #19 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM

Good Thread. Looking forward to hearing from more people. Haven't played around with too many changes, yet. Figured I'd have to do it all over when I got my HDMI cable.

Currently: SA8300HD ~ component ~ V32XBR1
post #20 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 09:58 PM
BaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDragonFly View Post

DFul4d

I'm using the Channel Master CM3021 coupled with the Channel Master preamp 7775. This is a killer combo as I can pull all LA's digital channels from where I am which is about 70 miles from the towers. With the built-in ATSC tuner, I haven't got any breakups yet. I have to say that the built-in tuner is even better than my stand-alone Zenith HD tuner. The only thing missing about the built-in tuner is it doesn't have the strength meter, not that I need it as the signals are always at full strength, day or nite.
post #21 of 1432 Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaN View Post

I'm using the Channel Master CM3021 coupled with the Channel Master preamp 7775. This is a killer combo as I can pull all LA's digital channels from where I am which is about 70 miles from the towers. With the built-in ATSC tuner, I haven't got any breakups yet. I have to say that the built-in tuner is even better than my stand-alone Zenith HD tuner. The only thing missing about the built-in tuner is it doesn't have the strength meter, not that I need it as the signals are always at full strength, day or nite.

Actually it does have a signal meter. Go to Settings > Applications> Diagnostics It will tell you the signal strength as well as a few other measurements.
post #22 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaN View Post

Thanks for your help.
post #23 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 AM

Does anyone has their best setting for Video games? I am using S-video only for Xbox and the vivid setting is too bright, the standard setting is too dark. Thanks
post #24 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 09:40 AM
BaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

Actually it does have a signal meter. Go to Settings > Applications> Diagnostics It will tell you the signal strength as well as a few other measurements.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I get home today.
post #25 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 10:48 AM

I have had the 32" for about a month, mostly for use with broadcast HD and SD via the cablecard, and I just got around to hooking up a DVD player for calibration. (This is a bedroom set for me.) This is the first non-CRT I've had to calibrate, and I happily cracked open my new copy of DVE. (Had been using the old original VE with my CRT RPTV.) While DVE teases you into thinking that it will give you some help with non-CRT displays, it seems only to talk about CRT and various digital PROJECTORS, not flat panels. I am kind of stumped about where to start with a set like this, which throws the concept of backlighting into the mix as well as all these contract and brightness enhancement settings. I am constitutionally averse to using such things (I associate them with things like flesh tone correcters or SVM on CRTs), but maybe that's just not the right approach with an LCD. Any tips about a strategy for calibrating the Bravia would be appreciated.

Would also appreciate tips about calibrating the cable broadcasts. Do you have to find a station that is broadcasting a PLUGE to get this done. On my old CRT, I knew (by trial and error) the differences in settings between cable, DVD, and laser and could tweak as I went.
post #26 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 PM

Not to venture too far OT, but I just purchased the KDL-V40XBR1; should I have purchased the service plan? Anyone experiencing dead pixels or any other problems I should be looking for when I hook it up for the first time?

Thanks,
post #27 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 PM

i'm looking to buy one of these LCDs online, if I do run in to trouble with it, would it be easy to buy another at a local bestbuy or circuitcity then just switch to do a return? Or do they check the serial and everything?
post #28 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefromfl View Post

i'm looking to buy one of these LCDs online, if I do run in to trouble with it, would it be easy to buy another at a local bestbuy or circuitcity then just switch to do a return? Or do they check the serial and everything?

I've returned 2 TVs to Best Buy. I returned a 26" Sony LCD. The woman checked to see if I had everything (remote control, TV, Manuals). But, she didn't check the serial number. So, you could possibly switch the TVs.

I also returned a 26" Samsung CRT HDTV, which they didn't check at all. I just handed over my receipt, and left the TV on a shopping cart. The guy refunded my credit card, and I left.

I payed for both TVs with a credit card. Maybe they check the serial number later. And if there is a problem, they will contact you.
post #29 of 1432 Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 PM

Hey there,
Can anyone recommend an ideal upconverting DVD player for one of these LCD tv's? Is it best via 720p or 1080i? Any models that folks have had success with?

Thanks!
-Ed
post #30 of 1432 Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDUBfanatic View Post

Not to venture too far OT, but I just purchased the KDL-V40XBR1; should I have purchased the service plan? Anyone experiencing dead pixels or any other problems I should be looking for when I hook it up for the first time?

Thanks,

I didn't get one and I have not seen a single bad pixel. (Knock on wood) The tv comes with a year warranty from the factory.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 40 Inch Kdl40bx450
Gear in this thread - Kdl40bx450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page