BenQ DV3750 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 258 Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My BenQ DV3750 arrived today, and all that I've found about it on AVS Forum is speculation. So, I figured that I'd start an owner's thread. I'll paste the specs in below, I've lifted them straight from Crutchfield, but I've corrected the component video input count (there are definitely 2).

Besides Crutchfield, AVS Forum sponsor TV Authority is also selling this unit, MSRP is $2499. Both vendors list the resolution as 1920x1080p, although all documentation that comes with the set indicates that it will only accept up to 1080i input. What they mean is that all inputs are scaled to 1080p by the Faroudja chip in this set.

Note, prior to this set I had (in order) a Samsung LN-R409D and Sony KDL-V40XBR1. I kicked the Sony to the curb a scant 5 minutes after the BenQ arrived today. Look at my post history for diatribes about my issues with those sets, but in summation the Samsung had aesthetic issues (shiny bezel) and less brilliant colors than the Sony, while the Sony showed too many compression artifacts in D* and OTA HD and SD broadcasts.

I'm literally just getting the settings dialed for the BenQ at this point, but already I'll say that SD looks better than the Sony ever did and I tweaked that thing until my wife was ordering a straightjacket. The settings on the BenQ aren't as extensive as the Sony, but they have a much more dramatic impact on the image displayed. Also, the picture settings seem to be saveable by input by resolution. So, component input 1 "Personal1" setting can be set for 480i input and 1080i separately. The set recalls the image setting depending on the resolution fed (my Hughes D* box output is switchable and it took a lot of playing around to confirm this). This pretty cool, since settings to get good SD are a lot different from optimal HD setup.

My set is monitor-only, I am using a Hughes HR10-250 connected via Component and SVideo for tuning and my HT setup for sound. I connected HDMI>DVI for a trial, but it did not pass 480i and it disables the Component output on the Hughes so I figured that I'd try Component for a while.

Link to into at BenQ's web site : http://www.benq.com/products/product.cfm?product=575

» HDTV monitor (over-the-air TV reception requires a separate tuner)
» 37" flat-panel LCD screen (measured diagonally)
» 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio
» 1920 x 1080 pixels
» ultra-fast pixel response time (8 milliseconds)
» 800:1 contrast ratio
» 170°(H) x 170°(V) viewing angle
» Senseye video processing
» detachable stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)
» remote control
» 5 A/V inputs, including:
3 composite video (2 rear, 1 side)
3 S-video (2 rear, 1 side)
2 component video (accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
1 DVI digital video input with HDCP copy protection
» PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
» RF input for antenna/cable signals
» detachable stand (depth is 7-1/2")
» wall-mountable (bracket not included)
» 40-3/8"W x 23-5/16"H x 4-7/8"D (26"H x 7-1/2"D with stand)
» weight: 44.7 lbs. (without stand)
» warranty: 1 year parts & labor

Photo of BenQ in my setup

More info to come... others please pile on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 Old 10-26-2005, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm shopping for 1920x1080, 37" panel right now so read your post with great interest, thank you for the info but I have questions:
a) you got to be kidding that this 1920x1080 panel doesn't accept 1080p signal ? This makes no sense to me, Blue Ray is coming in next few months and it should support 1080p and how the heck are you supposed to hook this up to the computer especially that without tuner this is probably officially classified as computer monitor?
b) Are you telling me this HD set has 3 composite and 3 s-video inputs and only one DVI input? Are those people stoned when they're designing those sets? Who's is buying 1920x1080 panel to watch SD? I need 2 dvi inputs for computer and cable, 2 component inputs for HD camera and DVHS, at least one extra component or DVI for my current DVD player and at least one extra DVI input if I ever decide to get PS3 or Blue Ray player. I could use one s-video or composite input for SD signal when I get nostalgic to watch VHS or Hi8 tape but give me a break why 6 SD inputs and only 3 HD? Too bad, it sounded like a nice candidate but no cigar. BTW most new video cards (capable of playing HD anyway) have DVI outputs this day and VGA output doesn't look as good as DVI.
And why RF input if there is no tuner?????
post #3 of 258 Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Somebody better equipped than I should address your 1080p question. Hopefully they'll mozy by and notice this thread.

Honestly, the far more expensive Samsung and Sony sets that I returned prior to this one had just one HDMI port... I don't think that too many sets are shipping with multiples. In the 37" range are there others with multiples? I'd say you'd be better off ignoring this limitation and getting an external switcher.

You can add a tuner on as an option (a la the Panasonic "commercial" plasmas). RF Input feeds that I suppose.
post #4 of 258 Old 10-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

I agree about the external switcher if your TV has only 1 and need another. Also, I have contacted Benq regarding the remote codes and they do not have them at this time(new products can take a while), over seas they are working on the codes and do not have an ETA at this time. They are working on the canadian and USA codes. Once I hear something I will post it.
Regards,
Cambryn

Out with the old in with the new.
post #5 of 258 Old 10-29-2005, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_straw View Post

Also, the picture settings seem to be saveable by input by resolution. So, component input 1 "Personal1" setting can be set for 480i input and 1080i separately. The set recalls the image setting depending on the resolution fed (my Hughes D* box output is switchable and it took a lot of playing around to confirm this). This pretty cool, since settings to get good SD are a lot different from optimal HD setup.

One note on this feature, after playing with this more it seems that this isn't quite as flexible as I thought it was. The 2 component inputs share the presets, and the settings are independent for 480i input but the same for all others. So, you can still have custom settings for SD 480i feed which is nice.

So far we're really enjoying the set -- great value, especially if you don't want a tuner, speakers, or cablecard. Football this weekend will be a good test for motion artifacting, but so far HD and SD performance is great.
post #6 of 258 Old 11-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Any update Jack? Or anybody else with this unit? I am very interested in SD performance and am considering the 32" Westinghouse (on sale at BB thru today) because of good reports concerning SD (also Faroudja deinterlaced). Any further thoughts after spending some time with the BenQ? How do you feel about the SD now? Colors?

Thanks!
Robin
post #7 of 258 Old 11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Also, does the BenQ have backlight control; can you describe?

Thanks!
Robin
post #8 of 258 Old 11-05-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. There must be other owners out there. Hopefully they'll post too.

Backlight has three settings : Dark, Normal, Bright. The Sony that I tried had 10 settings, the Samsung as I recall had no adjustment.

My SD experience with the BenQ has been 100x better than the Sony that I returned KDL-V40XBR1. The digital artifacting that I noticed with the Sony is far reduced with the BenQ. I won't claim that there is not artifacting/noise, but it is certainly tolerable.

As for colors, the BenQ is very good but the Sony is spectacular in that respect. Colors on the Sony are truly amazing. Artifacting made it a moot point for me, but that's the truth. Note, I've had to dial the BenQ color control down to the 25-29 range on all TV input signals (default is 40).
post #9 of 258 Old 11-06-2005, 12:58 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

****** should get you into the service menu. It works on the South Asian model, but I haven't tested the North American model.

I'd use Dead Pixel Buddy, no source screens and the panel test options in the service menu to check your screen carefully for stuck/dead pixels. I gave up on BenQ after I had four consecutive panels with bad pixels and previously returned units being delivered unserviced as new. I'm glad now; I went DLP FPJ and I am happier than ever.
post #10 of 258 Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post

":::::: should get you into the service menu. It works on the South Asian model, but I haven't tested the North American model.

I'd use Dead Pixel Buddy, no source screens and the panel test options in the service menu to check your screen carefully for stuck/dead pixels. I gave up on BenQ after I had four consecutive panels with bad pixels and previously returned units being delivered unserviced as new. I'm glad now; I went DLP FPJ and I am happier than ever.

That activates the service menu on my set, thanks. I used the panel test screens and didn't see any dead pixels on my unit. Thanks for the heads-up.

There are a lot of settings in this service menu. Does anyone know where to find the service manual that will explain all of this?
post #11 of 258 Old 11-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Jack,

Did you have a chance to evaluate the Westinghouse 37" (LVM-37W1) particularly for SD before purchasing the BenQ? I am curious as it also has Faroudja deinterlacing.

Thanks,
Robin
post #12 of 258 Old 11-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 257
please don't post service menus on this forum: you can damage your display if you attempt to make adjustments without knowing exactly what you are doing

there is a service menu sticky in the display calibration forum where you can request the info be PM'd to you

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #13 of 258 Old 11-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

The westing house didnt have the Dcdi like the benQ has. The responce time was not the same either (westing house 12 vs benq 8). I noticed viewing the BenQ decrease the artifacts much better then the westing house. Do you have a picture to post Jack_straw of your new LCD?

Regards,
Cambryn

Out with the old in with the new.
post #14 of 258 Old 11-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy View Post

The westing house didnt have the Dcdi like the benQ has. The responce time was not the same either (westing house 12 vs benq 8). I noticed viewing the BenQ decrease the artifacts much better then the westing house. Do you have a picture to post Jack_straw of your new LCD?

Regards,
Cambryn

So the Westinghouse has Faroudja deinterlacing without DCDii? I didn't know that was possible. Maybe the BenQ has a better scaler.
post #15 of 258 Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

So the Westinghouse has Faroudja deinterlacing without DCDii? I didn't know that was possible. Maybe the BenQ has a better scaler.

I did a quick Google search for the LVM-37W1, and the sites that I looked at didn't reference Faroudja at all. Where did you see that? I never looked at any Westinghouses.

Cam, I'll see if I can get some photos taken later today.
post #16 of 258 Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

This is interesting. I also had done a google search for terms "LVM-37W1" and "Faroudja" and got quit a few hits. Both Best Buy and J&R mention Faroudja DCDi on the product page. *But* when you look at the actual Westinghouse page for the 37W1 there is no mention of Faroudja. When you check the 32" LCD TV on the same Westinghouse site, you will see Faroudja touted, so maybe the 37 incher doesn't have Faroudja after all and there is some bad information out there...
post #17 of 258 Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

From the "Westinghouse LTV-32w1 discussion thread" as posted by Dong-Kinh:

The BenQ owners thread has doubts about the Westinghouse 37" having Faroudja deinterlacing. Unless someone is willing to open up the LTV-32W1 (32" Westinghouse), all indications (website and packaging, but not in manual) are that this does indeed have Faroudja ... the main reason why I bought the TV. I feed it a 480i picture and let it do the deinterlacing instead of my progressive-scan DVD player.

PQ-wise, this is FAR better than the Proview RX-326 which I returned.
post #18 of 258 Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_straw View Post

I did a quick Google search for the LVM-37W1, and the sites that I looked at didn't reference Faroudja at all. Where did you see that? I never looked at any Westinghouses.

Cam, I'll see if I can get some photos taken later today.

Jack, post some pics. I'm interested in this display!
post #19 of 258 Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Pic posted at the top. I'll take a few shots this afternoon with the set on.
post #20 of 258 Old 11-25-2005, 04:16 AM

Hi, in case you can, could you test if 50Hz PAL is working properly? The Dell 2405 only has 60Hz panel display, (framerate conversion from 50 to 60 when you put in 50Hz)

Good LCD's do native 50Hz for PAL. So I am curious..
post #21 of 258 Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Someone must have the answer for this question by now. I'm looking to get the BENQ DV3750. I have a PC running Windows Media Center. I'm seeing posts saying the max supported resolution over the DVI connection is 1368x768 without HDCP. Do I need a special video card to encrypt the DVI signal in HDCP to be able to display 1920x1080 resolution from the PC? Can I use a VGA to Component cable to achieve the same thing analog-ly? And finally, if I send in a 1080p source, will the TV simply convert to 1080i for display?
post #22 of 258 Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 PM

If your PC can produce a compliant 1920x1080i signal, it should work - I have only been able to produce such a signal from the component output of my Radeon All In Wonder 9800, not over DVI. I have only just got this TV, from Sears Canada, and I am still fiddling with settings and timings - if I cannot get 1080p, or even 1080i from a PC, I will be very, very disappointed. I sold my DV3250 just to get this set - only to find the interface, not the panel, limits it from proper native use, and I end up with the same PC resolution as the 3250.

It does PAL and NTSC well - as fas as I can tell it is native 50i de-interlacing as it is smooth movement from my PAL PS2.

When it works, it is stunning, Movie Central from my shaw HD box is just stunning - a view of what in store for the future, and you can notice the extra sharpness of a 1080 panel, over a 768 panel.

Most other channels don't look as good, and some of the recently added HD channels, which do films, do them as a 16:9 letter box, inside a 4:3 pillarbox, on a 16:9 HD display (I kid you not) - resulting in a box-in-a-box display - its just stupid. TV's have no zoom mode to counteract such idiocy.
post #23 of 258 Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 PM

I just bought a DV3750 and was a bit troubled at first to learn that the user manual/Benq website stated 1366x768 max resolution for PC display both VGA and DVI.

Then I did some research... I found that HDTV is usually transmitted through HDCP protection otherwise the proper handshaking between source and target will not happen. Benq must enforce this requirement for any or higher HD resolutions such as 1080i and 1080p. This is problem#1. Your graphics card must be DVI 1.0 compliant / HDMI interoperable and HDCP ready.

But wait, there is another problem, Problem#2. This problem relates to the type of DVI connector you have on your graphics card. A single link DVI connector usually can display a max resolution of 1600x1200 (specs from EVGA GeForce 7800GT) whereas a dual link connector can display 1920x1080 (1080p) no problem with a max resolution usually in the range of 2560 x 1600 (specs from EVGA GeForce 7800GT). The following graphics cards meet both requirements - nVidia Geforce 7800 Series and ATI x1300 Series and Higher. I have a graphics card on order and will post my results if someone has not sooner.
post #24 of 258 Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
BONSAI:
Quote:

some of the recently added HD channels, which do films, do them as a 16:9 letter box, inside a 4:3 pillarbox, on a 16:9 HD display (I kid you not) - resulting in a box-in-a-box display - its just stupid. TV's have no zoom mode to counteract such idiocy

First post, guys; please use lots o' lube !!!

Bonsai:

I know what you mean (the box-within-a-box). That's just crazy! A very few of the older DVDs I have do the exact same thing (even though listed as anamorphic widescreen) on my older HD-ready Toshiba cathode-raygun projection RPTV; it doesn't have any mode to correct this either. Do any of the more current HDTVs have such a mode--it seems it would be an astonishingly simple mode to add, but I've never come across the mention of such a thing.

Anywho's . . . back on topic; not an owner yet, but am seriously considering getting the BenQ 37" LCD for the masterbed. Owners, please keep on posting !!!; this seems to be one of the best deals around! I know it's disappointing 'bout the lack of a 1080p input, but just go follow some of the 1080p DLP threads, and [save for the HP DLP] you'll read 'bout a lot-o-disappointed owners. I know we should expect more (in terms of input capability) from an LCD display, but at this price, who's complaining? Being a bedroom unit, I only expect to feed this DVDs and HDTV anyway, and the 1080i is jist fine !!!

Thirsty for more knowledge,

da Choge

. . . sorry if I misposted--if there's a BenQ 37" LCD thread that's just for info hunters, please direct me there, and I'll return to this one when I become an owner

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #25 of 258 Old 12-12-2005, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post

Most other channels don't look as good, and some of the recently added HD channels, which do films, do them as a 16:9 letter box, inside a 4:3 pillarbox, on a 16:9 HD display (I kid you not) - resulting in a box-in-a-box display - its just stupid. TV's have no zoom mode to counteract such idiocy.

You can probably use the aspect ratio settings on both the cable box and the TV to blow this up to full screen. For example, on my Hughes HR10-250 DirectTV box I can choose Panel (pillar) or Full (stretch). The output on the box is set to 16:9, and I pretty much always use Pillar mode. This displays HD material full screen but leaves 4:3 material unstretched with pillars. I usually leave the TV set on Full Screen mode, which does no stretching since the box outputs everything 16:9 (HD full screen, 4:3 with pillars).

But, on broadcasts where there is a 16:9 letterbox display inside the 4:3 pillarbox (i.e., History Channel, Bravo) I switch the box to Full (stretch) mode. This pushes the sides out to the edge of the screen. Then I switch the TV to Letterbox mode, which pushes the top and bottom to the edge of the TV screen. The original 16:9 image fills the screen. You lose a llittle bit of the static logo that these channels leave up during broadcast, but other than that this works like a charm.

I hope that is clear enough...
post #26 of 258 Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I have been looking at this BenQ DV3750 for the bedroom HTPC/HDTV viewing.

I know the default resolution from VGA/DVI PC input is 1024x768 (or is it 1366x768), but I heard somewhere if you can disable the internal scaler, you can get the higher resolution. Can the owners of this BenQ DV3750 verify what is the maximum resolution?

Would it accept 1080i from PC?

I am going to use it in a bedroom setting, 12ft view distance. Will it be too dark or too small?

Also since 1024x768 is 4:3 ration and 1920x1080 native is 16:9 ratio, would PC 1024x768 input be stretched to fitted the whole screen or would there be black bars on the side?

Thanks!
post #27 of 258 Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post

Anywho's . . . back on topic; not an owner yet, but am seriously considering getting the BenQ 37" LCD for the masterbed. Owners, please keep on posting !!!; this seems to be one of the best deals around! I know it's disappointing 'bout the lack of a 1080p input, but just go follow some of the 1080p DLP threads, and [save for the HP DLP] you'll read 'bout a lot-o-disappointed owners. I know we should expect more (in terms of input capability) from an LCD display, but at this price, who's complaining? Being a bedroom unit, I only expect to feed this DVDs and HDTV anyway, and the 1080i is jist fine !!!

Yeah - I'm getting over my 1080p dissapointment, especially as I can get 1080i over component from my ATI All In Wonder 9800 card. If you are not going to be upset about the limited computer input, then the TV is a dream - and at the price, nothing comes close. In a bedroom, I guess you will be a little closer to the TV than the living room, and you can notice the benefit of the native 1080i even more - so, go for it, unless you want to wait another 3 to 6 (to 12 ?) months to see what else comes out.

I was very impressed with the speakers, that may, or may not, come with it, depending on your region - they came with it for me. They seem loud enough, quite clear and the bass is good enough, nothing compared to a proper amplifier, but pretty decent for built-ins. There is a subwoofer output, and stereo outputs for external speakers if you need them.

My main reason for sticking with BenQ, is that is does PAL and NTSC, and the 3750 does it all perfectly - 480i, 576i (PAL) and PAL-60 over composite and svideo (3 inputs), 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p@60, 720p@50, 1080i@60 and 1080i@50 over component (2 inputs). I have PAL and NTSC games consoles, a PAL VCR, DVD's from UK and US, and I also have the Sony HD camcorder, the Z1U, PAL/NTSC switchable HDV camcorder (it's just great - in case you were wondering ) and the 3750 is the perfect companion for all of it - the 1080i native matches the 1080i from the camcorder - its like you are there. I had trouble with 1080i@50 on the DV3250 (but everything else, including 1080i@60 was perfect), which, as well as the 768 resolution of the 3250, was the reason I upgraded to the DV3750.

I guess we now have to look to the graphics cards mfctrs for HDCP output of HD over DVI - I know windows vista is reported to require it for HD video playback - buts its fairly annoying to have to do it for the desktop and games too.

And now a copy-protection rant: Who on earth is going to rip a film via DVI ? Who rips DVD's using SVideo or component output ? Why was this seen as a need of the TV / Film / Whoever industry to scramble uncompressed video ouputs...... - Rant paused - its never over.
post #28 of 258 Old 12-18-2005, 09:19 PM

Just picked up a DV3750 here in Toronto.

Regarding resolution, I'm able to drive it at 1360x768 via the VGA input with my MythTV HTPC. SDTV looks pretty good, and the limited HD content I've tried is fantastic.

DVDs in progressive scan look incredible via component.

I have a Rogers HD PVR on it's way, and I get the feeling from the manual and some posts I read that the DVI port won't support 1080i. Am I right?
post #29 of 258 Old 12-21-2005, 05:57 AM

Got my DV3750 last week, have to say im impressed. Never had a HD TV before but this baby is very nice, the perfect complement to my 360. DVD's through 360 @ 576p really made my jaw drop. Can any one explain how this TV upscales or de-interlaces or what ever? It just seems to display what i feed it, i dont see any menu to choose what resolution i want it shown at.
VGA input from my laptop is nice too, 1024x768 seems to fit perfectly.
post #30 of 258 Old 12-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have the same question too:

Can BenQ DV3750 do 1080i over DVI?

I just got Shaw Cable's HDTV converter and plugging into Gateway FPD2185W 21" HD monitor.

component input 720p/1080i: too dark.
DVI 1080i: looks great...

So if BenQ DV3750 can't do 1080i over DVI then I am in big trouble...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page