37" VIZIO LCD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1303 Old 01-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well mine went back to costco (OCT2005 build) and I got a new one (DEC2005 build) and it looks great.... I finally have my FOX HD back and the mysterious hum has gone away!!!!

Now let's just hope that it lasts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1303 Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Liked: 11
Reading thru these threads, you can really get a headache trying to understand the fine points of all the choices out there. I was all set to get the Westy over the Vizio until I downloaded both user guides. For me the deciding factor was something simple (or maybe silly). I was buying a TV for my bedroom, and I like being able to use a sleep timer. The Vizio has a sleep button on the remote, while you have to navigate the Westy's menu to find the sleep timer buried way down. That's what did it for me!

We've had the Vizio for only 1 day so far, but I've been very pleased with the PQ connecting my Directv box using S-Video. (Why doesn't the standard satellite box have a better connection?) I've also watched the dvd "Chicago" which I've connected thru component cables. It looked outstanding!!!!
post #273 of 1303 Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDGR View Post

We've had the Vizio for only 1 day so far, but I've been very pleased with the PQ connecting my Directv box using S-Video. (Why doesn't the standard satellite box have a better connection?) I've also watched the dvd "Chicago" which I've connected thru component cables. It looked outstanding!!!!

I am sure you can upgrade your Direct TV satellite box by purchasing the HD package. At least with my Dish Network HD package, I have the satellite box with at least the DVI port, which I run my HDMI cable to my Toshiba 30HF85. I run some components from the satellite box to my Hitachi 61". HD feed on both sets looks outstanding and SD feed, looks ok, and I guess my eyes have been accustomed to the picture now.

Hope this help you out,
Randy
Millbrae, Ca
post #274 of 1303 Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDGR View Post

Reading thru these threads, you can really get a headache trying to understand the fine points of all the choices out there. I was all set to get the Westy over the Vizio until I downloaded both user guides. For me the deciding factor was something simple (or maybe silly). I was buying a TV for my bedroom, and I like being able to use a sleep timer. The Vizio has a sleep button on the remote, while you have to navigate the Westy's menu to find the sleep timer buried way down. That's what did it for me!

We have ours wall mounted in our bedroom and it is the perfect size for that. Just enough sound quality for a bedroom too. Great choice.

Hard to believe any modern satellite box is limited to S-Video. Can you swap it for a newer version? Would be a much better quality picture with HDMI.

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #275 of 1303 Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrap18 View Post

I have the same problem with my Vizio 37in LCDTV. Only when viewing non-HD i get black rectangular patch that keeps shuttling around. Could this be because of SD resolution? Any ideas on this.

To bad Vizio doesnt have anyone on here . In my situation I have swapped the box to another HD tv and no problem with SD on that one with same HD 6412 converter. And like I said the signal is pretty much flawless .

I am very pleased with the HD picture for the price , so I may keep it anyway.
post #276 of 1303 Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you take a photo and post here for what you're seeing with the black rectanglar patch?

Can it have something to do with PIP or POP? Try confirming that they are both off.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #277 of 1303 Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM

I'm trying to select a TV for a living room about 14' viewing distance. It should be my first TV so I have no previous experience yet. Generally I looked for Panasonic 42" plasma and almot bought it (almost because couldn't fit in a car). I noticed Visio 37" and it seems can fit in my car better. However this TV wasn't on and I couldn't compare a picture. Can somebody provide input how it's good in comparision to Panasonic 42" EDTV (...PM50U)? Is 37" too small or just fine for 14' distance? I watched 37" Sceptre at a friend of mine house and was really disappointed by quality. Is the Visio so bad? Did somebody compare it to Sceptre which is a bit more expensive.
I won't to go in way of buying and returning TV because somebody pointed that returning too many TVs can issue problems with Costco.

Proudly listen to 24/192 vinyl rips directly on my Nexus phone using Kamerton
post #278 of 1303 Old 02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

At 14 feet, to get a decent sized picture, you'd almost need a 50 inch screen or larger. Of course, that depends on the viewer too but I would think that 37 inches would be too small.

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #279 of 1303 Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen93 View Post

At 14 feet, to get a decent sized picture, you'd almost need a 50 inch screen or larger. Of course, that depends on the viewer too but I would think that 37 inches would be too small.

Spleen

I agree...at 15 feet our 60" seems perfect.

--------------
David Parker
--------------
post #280 of 1303 Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

how good is the atsc tuner in the L37??

does it have a signal strength meter to help w/ antenna aiming and how quick is it at getting
programming info as broadcast by the OTA stations??
post #281 of 1303 Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed View Post

how good is the atsc tuner in the L37??

does it have a signal strength meter to help w/ antenna aiming and how quick is it at getting
programming info as broadcast by the OTA stations??

I have not found a signal strength meter, but to be honest, I haven't looked. Tuner works well in my experience. It picked up more stations than my Samsung set top box that I use on the main tv. Tunes pretty quickly and the guide loads well. Just my two cents.
post #282 of 1303 Old 02-03-2006, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what are the TV settings that are ideal with HDMI connection from Cable box at 720P or 1080i? What screen mode should be used, panoramic, etc..?

I am hoping that the HDMI connection is better than the Component connection.

-Derek
post #283 of 1303 Old 02-04-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typerlover View Post

Great thanks guys. How about the box size? Everyone mentions that it is enormous, but really can it be THAT big? I'm asking because I'm unsure of how to get this unit back home. I have an Acura Integra hatchback which with the seats down gives quite a large amount of space. I know that sounds ridiculous to try and put the box in that car, but really the amount of room is quite large. Can anyone give any estimates of dimensions? Thanks.

I'm sure you've gotten an answer already, or even gotten the unit and let us know how it went. If you or anyone is going to drive this baby home, be careful going over bumps and dips. The electronics are packed to survive thru travel, but designed to be upright. Placing the diplay facing down or up could add stress and flex and may be damaged.

I would have guessed it would fit in the Integra, as a while back, I was able to pack 14 boxes (size of a case of paper) in to the back in 1 layer if I recall correctly (a couple may have been in the front seat). The Intega hatchback, and many other hatchbacks (Civic, Mazda, Bx, PT Cruiser) have quite the storage room once you fold down the rear seats.
post #284 of 1303 Old 02-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

as a matter of fact you CAN fit in Integra. I have GSR and even though the box looked huge and the guy at Costco laughed at me when I told him what car I have it fitted perfectly

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #285 of 1303 Old 02-04-2006, 04:35 PM

thats amazing
post #286 of 1303 Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM

anyone else think the picture quality is a little bit grainy? All my inputs are over component cables for my HD cablebox and DVD player. I notice the lack of picture quality when viewing a solid color, such as a blue sky background. When I viewed this set in sams club I thought the picture was awesome and I didn't see the grainy look that I see on mine at home. It doesn't seem like the limited settings provided have any affect on the picture quality. The is my first HD tv so maybe they are all like this.
post #287 of 1303 Old 02-06-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper69 View Post

anyone else think the picture quality is a little bit grainy? All my inputs are over component cables for my HD cablebox and DVD player. I notice the lack of picture quality when viewing a solid color, such as a blue sky background. When I viewed this set in sams club I thought the picture was awesome and I didn't see the grainy look that I see on mine at home. It doesn't seem like the limited settings provided have any affect on the picture quality. The is my first HD tv so maybe they are all like this.

Not at all! How far are you sitting from the set? What is your sharpness setting? Some plasma sets suffer from a "screen door" effect, which is not visible if you're far enough, but that alone makes me prefer most LCDs over them.

1) check your souce and make sure it's HD
2) make sure your sharpness is set to 50 or lower
9) check cables, try alternate cables, try OTA reception/DTV, consider computer source, dust off screen, etc.
post #288 of 1303 Old 02-06-2006, 07:55 AM

I second macosx... my screen is beautiful - especially when viewing OTA HD from PBS (amazing how I would consider watching paint dry as entertainment so long as it's HD!). In really dark scenes I have a hard time seeing any detail. Really bad scenes, all I see is eyes and teeth. But this is only on external composite inputs (from my Dreambox sat receiver). Internal HD does not suffer from this. The same sat box on my 10,000:1 Samsung DLP 1080P is also horrible with blacks.
post #289 of 1303 Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosx View Post

Not at all! How far are you sitting from the set? What is your sharpness setting? Some plasma sets suffer from a "screen door" effect, which is not visible if you're far enough, but that alone makes me prefer most LCDs over them.

1) check your souce and make sure it's HD
2) make sure your sharpness is set to 50 or lower
9) check cables, try alternate cables, try OTA reception/DTV, consider computer source, dust off screen, etc.

I'm sitting about 7ft away I think. My girlfriend doesn't notice it, but I'm a little more unforgiving when it comes to the pq. I tried different cables and verified my hdbox is outputting 1080i (tried 720p, no difference). I'll try messing around with that sharpness setting some more. I can't remember where I left it at. My htpc is almost done so that will be the true test!

thanks for the response
post #290 of 1303 Old 02-06-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkme73 View Post

I second macosx... my screen is beautiful - especially when viewing OTA HD from PBS (amazing how I would consider watching paint dry as entertainment so long as it's HD!).

I'll second that. It's amazing how much more PBS I've been watching now that i've got HD. I don't even pay attention to the shows, just appreciate the beautiful images. The nice thing about PBS is that they seem to be broadcasting HD programming almost full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper69 View Post

I'm sitting about 7ft away I think. My girlfriend doesn't notice it, but I'm a little more unforgiving when it comes to the pq. I tried different cables and verified my hdbox is outputting 1080i (tried 720p, no difference). I'll try messing around with that sharpness setting some more. I can't remember where I left it at. My htpc is almost done so that will be the true test!

thanks for the response

7' is fairly close, but the picture quality is still very good at that distance. If I look carefully, I can see the tiny gaps from individual pixels at that distance, but only if I look carefully. For plasma sets, it's usually very obvious to me at that close distance. I think this might be one of the possible explanations described as grainy. One other test you might do is project a blue screen from a DVD/VCR and see if you notice the effect there. If so, then it's likely you're seeing the invidual pixels. Softening the picture will reduce the effect, but you also blur the images. I've set my sharpness at 50 as a compromise of these effects.

The thing about HD is that you have to make sure EVERYTHING is HD. The programming in many stations is often NOT HD. For the major networks in big cities, most prime time programming is, but the rest usually isn't. That's the nice thing about PBS is that you can use the PBS HD station to check picture quality. You cable/satellite company may not be keeping the HD signal HD throughout their whole path, and that may reduce the signal as well. It would be good to differentiate a display issue versus a signal issue, and so far it's not clear which, but my guess is still on the signal.
post #291 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 AM

I looked at a blue screen of my empty dvd player and the problem seems to go away. It's still there a little bit if I'm right on top of the tv, but definitely nothing like viewing a dvd. So, it must be the signal. I'm gonna look into picking up an antenna so I can grab the local hd stations. Until then, thanks for your help.

ps The best explanation of grainy that I can think of is to imagine looking at a wall completely covered with little bugs of the same color. The wall will be a solid color but will appear to be moving all over the place.
post #292 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM

I bought the TV one week ago at Costco when my old analog TV gave up its ghost.

Pros
Great Picture (Getting signal off the air)
Dual Tuner
Remote Buttons
No noise when turning the TV or ghosting or bad pixels.

Cons
The Remote Control does not work well from a distance or at much of an angle.
No Video Out.

Does any LCD TV's come with a video out? This is acting as my receiver and I want to record shows ( I know I can't in HDTV format) but the digital picture is much clearer than the analog picture I get. If some do I may return the unit but I do love the picture of the HDTV channels over the air.

Also someone asked how to do the comcast remote. I got all my remotes to work by experimenting with the codes Vizio gave out to make their TV work with other remotes.
post #293 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 PM

i picked up the 37 lcd at costco last week, i had to exchange it tonite because the component video2 all of a sudden went way dark. costco of course took it back with no questions. this is a great tv and am very happy with my choice. fyi i called vizio and they were more than happy to send a free tech out to me but the soonest would be 10 days, i said thanks but no thanks and just returned it, good thing i saved all the packaging.
post #294 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 01:59 PM

i dont even think u need packaging to return something at costco
post #295 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM

I just bought one earlier today and I'm having issues with a green hue in all of the colors. I have read on another forum people have noticed this. Has anyone had this issue, and how did you get the whites a true white? I've messed with the adjustments endlessly and I can minimize the green hue, but cant get it totally away. Btw I might not have noticed it that much if I didnt have a 32" Philips set up right next to it
post #296 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

if you're using the component input, make sure it's cabled properly.
post #297 of 1303 Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM

Yeah thats not the problem....the green hue isnt bad as if there is a connection issue with component inputs...its just too much green/yellow in the overall picture. the whites arent true whites like on my Philips.
post #298 of 1303 Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I posted similar concerns about the lean to green a while back. I don't know if it's improved over time or I've just gotten used to it

My original was a September build bought on black Friday. The tuner went out and I exchanged it at Costco for a November build. The first had no green issues. I wonder if it has anything to do with different build dates. Tech support says they're all the same with no firmeware or other changes.

I am now noticing the sound level will occasionally lower. If I switch stations and go back, the level is restored. Any one else????
post #299 of 1303 Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 AM

Hi, I just purchased vizio 37 inch LCD t.v. DVD quality looks fantastic!!! and also High definition is very good, but standard t.v. isn't good at all!!!! I already have boxed up to take back, but was wondering is this normal for the standard t.v. not to show very good. My 28 inch sanyo I was using before shows a lot better. Please help. Is anyone else having this problem with this t.v.? Thanks for a reply
as soon as possible. tdreed
post #300 of 1303 Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I guess I have a couple Q's. Why would you watch "std" NTSC TV on this set. Do you not have much digital covereage in your area? You could have saved some $$ buying a TV wo/ATSC tuner if that's the case

With respect to other standard inputs. I have my satellite tv connected to this TV with SVid and it looks great. NTSC is acceptable as well should I have a need to switch over (not often at all). I've got a good antenna and a strong signal on all channels.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page