Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

Thanks Naylia. Just so I am clear, you say "DVI->HDMI". Can't you connect HDMI out of the STB to HDMI into the Olevia? Do you think this would allow zoom and stretch with SD? I thought the new MOTO boxes provided HDMI out.

I have an older box that only has DVI. So I need to use DVI->HDMI cable from STB to TV. It in no way alters the video signal...but if there are newer boxes with HDMI it's possible they improved the quality of scaling done at the box becuase on mine i think it was definitly bugged. You will still not be able to zoom on the tv side would be my guess since the tv will still see the 720p or 1080i signal you send it. (By the way, many tvs will disable zooming when displaying a HD signal. This behavior is not unique to this tv but is becoming fairly common practice. And since your STB is converting to 720p or 1080i to output over DVI or HDMI then the tv thinks it's always getting an HD signal. I'm not sure if zoom is enabled if you send a 480p signal to the HDMI.)

Quote:

I dont really mind the black bars with SD if it makes the pic look better. With this being an LCD, there are no burn in issues so no big deal. What is your estimate for % of screen the black bars take up with SD and this TV?

42" diagnol is 21" high and 37" wide roughly.

21 / 3 * 4 = 28 wide for 4x3

(21^2 + 28^2)^(1/2) = 35" diagnol

Lets hope I did my math in public right

37-28=9" horizontal image size loss which is a 24% reduction in screen size but you do have increased clarity and image quality without stretching (personally i'm still going back and forth between the two trying to decide which i prefer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey first post...woohoo!

This model really has my attention now. I bought the Philips 37" LCD which I really like but I just can't seem to tweak out overly (obnoxiously with certain HD material) bright reds, yellows, and oranges. Not to mention this Olevia is extra 5" for same $. If this issue is what's referred to as "red push" is it to be expected on all current value LCD panels? Any comments in regards to color with this Olevia?

I also notice that when there is fast motion or camera pan/zoom on the philips the nice crisp picture softens a bit. Even with the Pixel Plus turned off this is apparent. Again my first LCD TV so this might also be expected.

Can someone provide the dimensions on the stand without speakers and with speakers attached in the side postion? I have a limited opening that it *should* fit in but need to verify.

EDIT: Found comprehensive dimensions at buydig

Screen Only 43.11" (W) x 27.56" (H) x 4.52" (D) w/o stand
Speakers (side mounted) 48.35" (W) x 30.5" (H) x 11" (D) w/Stand
48.35" (W) x 27.5" (H) x 4.52" (D) w/o Stand
Speakers (bottom mounted ) 43.11" (W) x 34.75" (H) x 11" (D) w/ Stand
43.11" (W) x 33.7" (H) x 4.52" (D) w/o Stand
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdermo View Post

This model really has my attention now. I bought the Philips 37" LCD which I really like but I just can't seem to tweak out overly (obnoxiously with certain HD material) bright reds, yellows, and oranges. Not to mention this Olevia is extra 5" for same $. If this issue is what's referred to as "red push" is it to be expected on all current value LCD panels? Any comments in regards to color with this Olevia?

I also notice that when there is fast motion or camera pan/zoom on the philips the nice crisp picture softens a bit. Even with the Pixel Plus turned off this is apparent. Again my first LCD TV so this might also be expected.

Join the club! I will be purchasing shortly. I would highly recommend visiting a local CompUSA to see the TV for yourself. I did not see a red push and if it was there, it was subtle enough not be a big deal iny my opinion. CompUSA had a video loop that consisted of sports, bright colors, and facial tones via a component connection. I thought it looked awesome! One item I will warn you about is take into account the CompUSA lighting as it is not the greatest for displaying HDTV. I wne to two different stores and the TV looked much better in one than another. The one that was worse had the TV mounted directly below a ceiling light and had a lot of reflection from nearby computer screens.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:59 PM

Talked to tech support, this unit doesnt have a QAM tuner.. To bad, but i think i'll jump on this one anwyays.

/Chris
Old 01-17-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm interested in buying this set, but today I went to CompUSA to look at it and the black levels were terrible when viewing at an angle. I played with the set but could not improve the problem. For those of you with this set at home, have you noticed this and is the picture better once you got it home and had it set up properly? I presently have a Mitsubishi DLP and the picture is hard to beat. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac3150 View Post

I'm interested in buying this set, but today I went to CompUSA to look at it and the black levels were terrible when viewing at an angle. I played with the set but could not improve the problem. For those of you with this set at home, have you noticed this and is the picture better once you got it home and had it set up properly? I presently have a Mitsubishi DLP and the picture is hard to beat. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Most LCDs "wash out" when viewing at an angle. I would expect black levels to deteriorate once you move far enough off the sweet spot. The real question is: How far off axis to you have to move to see the color fade?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbyers View Post

Most LCDs "wash out" when viewing at an angle. I would expect black levels to deteriorate once you move far enough off the sweet spot. The real question is: How far off axis to you have to move to see the color fade?

I've seen off brand LCD's such as polaroid with extremely bad black levels just moving 45 degrees off center. While the sharp and samsung keeps their blacks. I wonder how syntax handles this. Can anyone with this unit comment on the black levels at a 45-75 degrees angle off the center? I'll stop by compusa tommorow to check this out.

/Chris
Old 01-18-2006, 07:29 AM

Rbyersand ChrisSD2 - Just to reiterate my experience as I was concerned about this as well. I think the lighting has something to do with it. The first CompUSA I went to had the overhead warehouse light directly over the LCD and I noticed a big drop off after about 45 degrees. The second CompUSA had this mounted away from the overhead light and the drop off was very minimal. I then went back to check out the Bravia and also noticed a slight drop off with very black scenes at an angle. Bright colors were not an issue at any angle for either TV. I'd love to hear your thoughts as well after you visit. The price is so good for this TV, it is hard to not at least consider. The reviews have been very good from what I have seen.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:28 AM

I had an LT42HVi but returned it because of the lack of QAM issue. Syntax's press release states that it has a QAM tuner, the box says so, customer support initially said that it did, but wasn't compatible with Comcast but ultimately I found out the truth - it doesn't have one. Only ATSC for OTA broadcasts, and NTSC for regular SD broadcasts. The sharpness setting on component inputs was another factor for me returning it.

That said, I liked the picture quality with DVDs and on my Xbox 360 on the LT42HVi. The black issue when sitting at the same height with the TV, but at varying horizontal levels wasn't an issue beyond 45 degrees left/right of center (90 deg total).

The main factor that affected black levels was the vertical viewing angle. If the TV is placed too high or low (I don't have exact figures, but well less than the horizontal angle) then the blacks become purple-tinged. So everyone viewing at CompUSA should keep this in mind - if the blacks look terrible, it may be because the set is mounted way too high relative to you. It looks much better at regular viewing height. And that probably means mounting it over the fireplace isn't a good idea.

The LT42HVi also makes it easy to get the color/hue settings tuned right if you have AVIA or DVE. You can drop into the User color balance and individually turn red, green or blue colors to simulate viewing the TV through a color filter (I borrowed my DVE disc from the library and it didn't come with the filters). Once I had things calibrated, the picture was stunning. The dark areas though lacked detail but it was no worse than other LCD displays I've seen.

I'll probably wait to see if they fix things with the new 42/47" Signature line announced at CES this year but if they have, I'd buy one.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lau View Post

The main factor that affected black levels was the vertical viewing angle. If the TV is placed too high or low (I don't have exact figures, but well less than the horizontal angle) then the blacks become purple-tinged. So everyone viewing at CompUSA should keep this in mind - if the blacks look terrible, it may be because the set is mounted way too high relative to you. It looks much better at regular viewing height. And that probably means mounting it over the fireplace isn't a good idea.

This is interesting Dan. When I viewed this TV at two CompUSA's they had it mounted about 8" off the floor and not even on a stand so I was looking down at it. I never thought to scrunch down to eye level and I still thought the colors looked great. However, you do have me concerned about how it might look if mounted too high as I was going to mount this approx. 4 or 5" higher than the straight line off of the center of television to my eyes. Do you think this will be enough to throw the colors off? I'll have to stop by CompUSA and request them to put it on a stand and then sit lower to see what happens. As for QAM, I am ok with that as I plan on getting the benefits of a HD/DVR box through Comcast.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd recommend that with any tv...if you want to mount it high (ie...above a fireplace), purchase a tilt mount instead of flat wall mount. This way you can have optimal viewing angles for whatever tv you purchase angled perfectly towards your most common viewing locations.

4 or 5" should not be a problem as I don't have any issues standing vs seated with the tv. However seated vs TV above fireplace can be a 5 foot vertical shift to the center of the image. Distance from the image also plays a factor in calculating angle. If you are two feet away on the floor staring up that is different from being on a couch on the other side of a 12 ft long room.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 AM

Good point Naylia! The tilt mount is key to any above the fireplace mount.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:27 AM

I first saw this TV in a Microcenter and it looked amazing - The Brothers Grimm was being played by a regular DVD player. It looked almost like a plasma tv - very impressive.

The other day I headed over to a CompUSA and was less impressed, but I didn't have time to futz with the settings to try and improve the picture. Still, it's a good (not so) little unit for the price.

I got my head on straight, got my booty body ready for the plush funk.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM

Has anyone compared this set to the 37hvs? I have a 37hvs and the picture still amazes me, especially after going to all the Best Buys, Circuit Citys, etc. and seeing no picture that even comes close. 5 more inches would be nice, though, and if the 42hvi has an equal or better picture then it would be amazing for the prices some places have them for after the rebate.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM

One minor irk I have is that I have contacted Syntax directly to ask a few questions to get that "warm fuzzy feeling" prior to purchase and have not received a call back. I was going to purchase with an extended in-home warranty from one of the online retailers and when I probed a bit with the extended warranty company they said the first thing I should do is find out if there is a local authorized service center in my area otherwise I was going to have to pay for shipping of the TV if there was ever an issue. It has been about 24 hours and no call back from Syntax yet. I was hoping for a little better customer service from an up and coming company. Ughhh!

Does anyone know if there is an authorized service center in my area. Seems like a lot of New Englanders are looking into or have this TV.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Epie, I believe you can extend Syntax's in home service plan to 2 or 3 years depending on cost after you buy the TV. I choose not to do this with my 30" Syntax but I remember a piece of paper in its box with this offer.

Meltz, I could not agree any more. The new 42" Olevia looks great. The glass cover it has with the "special" coating really makes the colors pop out and puts the picture as a whole in the Plasma Realm. The worst thing I can think of is the weight that sheet of glass adds to the TV. Is it the heaviest LCD on the market?

I have never noticed this off axis black problem but I will be sure to look for it next time I am at CompUSA. I cannot wait to see the new Signature Series LCDs when they are finally released, I am mad I missed them at CES.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks Jmlkoho. There is a big difference though in Syntax's price for extended warranty (approx. $600) vs. most of the online retailers (about $200-300). Maybe I should roll the dice and not get it but it is such a tough decision. Especially from a smaller company like this that is still develping a name for themselves. What to do....What to do.......

I just wish they would call me back to at least feel like they care about their customers.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM

epie,

Regarding the vertical off-center issue, if you go with the tilt mount as Naylia recommends, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't have the TV with me now, but I remember the black level issue as being a non-issue for me since I had the TV about 24" off the ground on a TV stand, and didn't really notice it in my regular viewing position, only when walking past the TV and looking down at it from a close distance.

Syntax customer service - I've had some experience with it. I have to warn you that it is near impossible to get to talk to someone either from customer support (menu option 1) or technical support (menu option 2) if you choose to wait in the queue. The trick is to hit '0' to call the operator and then ask them to put you through. At the very least you'll be able to talk to a live person.

Syntax must have the most unfriendly phone queue system in the world. If the line you're calling is busy you're put in a call queue. The good news is that you're periodically told your position in the queue - 6 of 6, 5 of 6 etc. The bad news is every time your position in the queue is announced, you have to hit '1' to remain in the queue. If you forget to do so, you are routed to a voice mail system. The messages come very 25 seconds! So you are forced to hit '1' every half minute or so. Nothing as easy as putting on the speakerphone and doing something else until you get to the front of the queue. And my experience is that they aren't real good about returning voice-mails. None of my approximately 5 emails to Syntax on the QAM/sharpness issue have been returned - not even with a courtesy email.

So - while I will consider buying another Syntax product, I will make sure that I'm NOT an early adopter, and wait until get feedback from this forum and others, see the TV for myself and convince myself that everything works and is to my liking, AND buy from a place that has a good return policy before jumping the gun again. If I'm spending $2 - $3K on a TV it had damn well better be almost perfect.

Its a shame that Syntax can design a product that is attractive, has the best price/picture quality ratio and decent features but if they want to be known as a great company instead of a 'you get what you pay for' company, they have to improve their ability to be contacted and actively work on the flaws in their products that are reported, instead of ignoring customers.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Dan

Unfortunately I have had the same experience with SYntax over the last couple of days and it has been enough to make me hold off on this purchase which is a shame because I love the TV. However, I can't afford to spend this kind of money without having a good feeling that I am backed by strong customer service. The fact that your experience has mimiced mine is enough to prove to me that this isn't an isolated incident. Here has been my experience:

1. Called last week and left a voice message for someone in sales - no returned call

2. I sent an e-mail inquiring about the QAM tuner last week - no resposne yet

3. Called yesterday between 1pm -1:30pm PST and nobody answered phones.

4. Called back yesterday at 2:30 pm PST and could not get through to customer service with a question on authorized service rep. Left a message with operator and was promised someone would call me back today.

5. Call was not returned and tried calling back today at 3pm PST and once again nobody answered phones.

This is just too worrisome in my opinion for someone like me who is a first time buyer. I think the pricing is great for this TV, especially compared to the Bravia but when I call Sony, someone is on the other end to help me out. Hopefully things change with the 42/47 signature line. I hope Syntax realizes they lost a customer in me for the time being. Maybe I'll write a letter for what it's worth but I won;t count on a response.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:12 AM

I don't know if I am in the correct forum but since it has to do with the 42HVi, I decided to put it here. I am trying to use the Comcast 6200 remote control on my LT 42HVi. Does anybody what is the discreet code for the TV. Syntax Website says any RCA, LG, Yamaha or Philips code will work. Also I send signal 1080i, 480P or 720p.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Alvarez View Post

I don't know if I am in the correct forum but since it has to do with the 42HVi, I decided to put it here. I am trying to use the Comcast 6200 remote control on my LT 42HVi. Does anybody what is the discreet code for the TV. Syntax Website says any RCA, LG, Yamaha or Philips code will work. Also I send signal 1080i, 480P or 720p.

I believe the code is 1004.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:05 PM

I am strongly considering purchasing this LCD but was hoping someone could answer a question for me. This has 1200:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio - is this good or bad compared to similar quality LCD and Plasma tv's? Everything I have been reading about this tv along with the current price seem to make this a great buy. If the 1200:1 is not a problem then can anyone tell me another reason not to purchase this? Thank you.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprovo View Post

If the 1200:1 is not a problem then can anyone tell me another reason not to purchase this? Thank you.

I would read this entire post and you'll get a good feel for what this TV has and doesn't have and then go check it out for yourself at a CompUSA.

WARNING - Make sure you are comfortable with the non-existent customer service at Syntax.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lau View Post

Syntax customer service - I've had some experience with it. I have to warn you that it is near impossible to get to talk to someone either from customer support (menu option 1) or technical support (menu option 2) if you choose to wait in the queue. The trick is to hit '0' to call the operator and then ask them to put you through. At the very least you'll be able to talk to a live person.

Syntax must have the most unfriendly phone queue system in the world. If the line you're calling is busy you're put in a call queue. The good news is that you're periodically told your position in the queue - 6 of 6, 5 of 6 etc. The bad news is every time your position in the queue is announced, you have to hit '1' to remain in the queue. If you forget to do so, you are routed to a voice mail system. The messages come very 25 seconds! So you are forced to hit '1' every half minute or so. Nothing as easy as putting on the speakerphone and doing something else until you get to the front of the queue. And my experience is that they aren't real good about returning voice-mails. None of my approximately 5 emails to Syntax on the QAM/sharpness issue have been returned - not even with a courtesy email.

Yeah, its hard to get through there phone system. I left a voice mail that was never returned. I had to call three times for someone to actually pick up. Once they did however it was fine. I told him my problem and he said they'd have to replace it. No real hassle there.

Rebate was the same. I had to have the operator transfer me though but when I talked to a person she had me send the rebate stuff to her attention so it would be handled properly.

It just sounds like they need to hire more people.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

I would read this entire post and you'll get a good feel for what this TV has and doesn't have and then go check it out for yourself at a CompUSA.

WARNING - Make sure you are comfortable with the non-existent customer service at Syntax.

Yes, this thread has entries that cover most if not all the pros and cons of the TV. Its a good idea to read everything and know what you're getting so you won't have to go through customer service if you have questions.

Another couple of issues I haven't seen mentioned in this thread:

1). Zoom mode
2). VCR fast forwarding.

1) Zoom mode
=========
When you watch 4:3 letterboxed content which is common when viewing movies on regular TV, if you select 4:3 aspect ratio you get black bars added to the sides of the display so the image appears with black bars on all sides. You can choose the Full or Panoramic mode to eliminate the bars on the left and right sides - but this still leaves the letterbox bars on the top and bottom. What would be nice is a mode that zooms just enough that the black bars on the top and bottom are eliminated, preserving the aspect ratio without stretching the image, about 1 1/4x zoom.

Unfortunately while the TV has a Zoom mode, is does so in increments of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32, AND it adds a "Zoom " text image superimposed on the display. This makes the feature useless for removing black bars in 4:3 letterboxed mode.

Some DVD players let you specify output to a wide-screen TV and they output a horizontally squashed image so that when viewed in Full mode on your HDTV things look normal, and no (or very small) letterboxed black bars can be seen above and below the image. If your DVD player doesn't do this, or like me you have a ReplayTV that doesn't support widescreen TVs, the LT42HVi won't help you either.

2). VCR fast forwarding.
==============
If you hook up a standard non high-def VCR to watch videotapes, and try fast-forwarding/rewinding, the TV displays the blue 'no signal' screen. This makes the fast forward/rewind feature of your VCR next to useless.

=====================
Both of these issues are common to other Syntax models like the LT37HVS which are discussed in other threads in AVSForum. It looks like Syntax TVs share the same firmware (and bugs).

If it sounds like I'm griping a lot about the TV, well, maybe so. I must reiterate that I find the picture quality to be among the top in is price range, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Syntax TV *if* the issues that I and others have pointed out are fixed. I am simply listing the issues I found with the TV (that I have since returned) to help others make an informed decision.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 AM

I bought one LT42HVi from BuyDig. The order experience was great, ordered on 01/17, got on 01/19. Well packed by factory, BuyDig put another cardboard box over the Syntax packing. Both layers of boxes look good.

No dead pixels. Setup is very easy. Because of the front glass panel, the unit is very heavy. Cables in the box are: power cable (6-ft long), VGA cable (6-ft long), cheap component cable (4-ft long), HDMI cable (3-ft long).

Hooked the unit up to OTA SD cable via ANT coax, p-scan DVD via component, and OTA HD via DTV coax.

OTA SD: looks good, but not very impressed with the quality. I DO get the channel duplicated, one is 17, the other is 67, both are exactly the same. This does not bother me that much, I do not watch SD channels.

OTA HD: Looks good with ABC's 720p, CBS, NBC, PBS and Fox's 1080i channels. Even though I already have a fusionHDTV card in my computer, the PQ is still amazing, maybe because of its size.

p-scan DVD: looks good to great depending on the DVD. The provided component cable looks very cheap; its quality is awful also. After replacing it with a good cable, the DVD PQ improved a lot.

VGA connection: I got 1280x768 with my computer; I did not play the connection too much.

Menus are nice, remote seems to work well if pointing at TV directly within 18-ft distance. Response in SD channel is good; but significant lag in response time while viewing HD channels which is the same as my HDTV card, so no complain.

Blue power LED is indeed quite bright as mentioned already in this forum.

The TV keeps a unique set of image parameters for each input, e.g. contrast, saturation, hue, etc., so you can tune the image characteristics based on your source signal. I did not see any resetting by the TV itself after switching between the sources (I even tried by turning TV off or unplugging the TV).

As Dan Lau posted, the VCR fast-forwarding makes TV display no signal and the Zoom mode cannot stretch the image.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 PM

I also just picked up an LT42HVi. Got mine from BeachCamera (which I believe is owned by the same people as BuyDig). Mine also came double boxed and in general the unit was in good condition (no dead pixels, no scratches on the glass, etc). I did have one issue though. The screws they use to attach the TV to the stand (4 in all) are very undersized for the amount of weight they have to support. I guess the ride on the FedEx truck was a little bumpy because 3 of the 4 screws had broken off in the stand & the remaining one was bent so much that I couldn't get it out of the stand without stripping the screw head. I ended up having to drill it out (not a very comforting feeling - taking a drill to a piece of expensive equipment). Anyway, it worked out fine, I was able to remove the TV from the stand. Luckily, I wasn't planning on using the stand anyway. The TV is for my bedroom so I'm planning on wall mounting it.

Which leads to my question: Does anyone know the bolt size & length for the threaded wall bracket mounting holes on the back of the TV? I bought a generic wall mount, but it says to use the bolts that normally attach the stand to the TV (which in this case are destroyed, plus are a much smaller size anyway). I could always try the old trial and error method to find the size, but I'm hoping someone has the official Syntax wall mount or has already gone through this dilemma & can save me a lot of time by just posting the bolt size. Thanks guys!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Has anyone mounted this on a wall yet? If so, what mount did you use? I am planning on purchasing a Peerless ST660 mount, and was wondering if this is a good mount, and whether it's compatible. I know the Syntax is heavy for an lcd, because of the glass, 120lbs or so?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

120 lbs is about correct....I think my manual says 116 when including the stand. If you go to the syntax website they have a wall mount in the accessories section that is apparently

Universal Wall Mount supporting VESA 100x200 standard.

So you may be able to get any stand that supports VESA 100x200...or just order the wall mount from them if it's reasonably priced.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just thought I'd note that I have finally recieved a human response from my question to Syntax regarding the sharpness issue with component inputs....

Quote:
We are aware of the problem that you are referring to, our engineers are currently looking into a solution. Please make sure that your TV is registered on our website so that when one is available we will be able to contact you.

Thanks for contacting Syntax Technical Support.

So make sure your tv is registered on the website so that you find out about solutions to some issues. And I guess keep emailing them so that they are aware of issues and maybe we'll see some fixes. I'm curious about how fixes would be applied to the tv.