Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1176 Old 02-23-2006, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post

I can't find a rebate for the 42" Syntax Olevia LT42HVi. What do you suppose the chances are of one being offered any time soon?

It doesn't seem like Syntax is offering rebates right now, but JR Music World is offering the TV at $$$$, which is a good deal regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1176 Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
MODS Note:

Pricing, Coupons, Discounts, etc. talk is not allowed!

Thanks.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #183 of 1176 Old 02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Reading the thread you can get a feel of some of the more reputable dealers that people are having good experiences with...off the top of my head you can get the tv at:

BeachCamera.com (same as BuyDig.com)
TigerDirect.com
J&R Computer & Music World (1 B&M Location and website)
Microcenter (B&M only)
CompUSA (B&M & website)

Resellerratings.com is a good place to read about peoples experiences with a particular store.
post #184 of 1176 Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 PM

I've never messed with Powerstrip or any other solutions.

I wanna try and get my 42" Syntax LCD and my Thinkpad T42p w/Radeon 9600 talking. My laptop has 1400x1000 res, figure it should be able to handle this.

Can anyone post fairly step by step instructions on what to do? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

jdang,

even so...it's a very good solution. if the video card is just turning off the pixels and you get three dead on each side it's possible you are still getting 1:1 pixel mapping with very slight underscan. I'd be very happy with that solution myself. The settings I posted before did not give me 1:1 even with the underscan/overscan i experienced. Do a search for 1:1 pixel map patterns and see if you can test it out....usually you just need to set your background to a black and white repeating pixel pattern and take a look at it.

post #185 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

are you trying to do a dual screen setup? or just display to the tv? with just the tv a widescreen resolution would be best....try 1280x720 in the display settings and see what you think
post #186 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:

are you trying to do a dual screen setup? or just display to the tv? with just the tv a widescreen resolution would be best....try 1280x720 in the display settings and see what you think

Well, seems like the only way it works is dual screen 1280x720 ; watched The Office, and aspect ration seemed still a bit weird. I managed to get it working a few times as an external monitor, but then I messed around with some Powerstrip settings, and i got a brief image corruption and "No Signal".

Never could get it at full 1366x768 resolution.

1280x720 is OK, but not ideal.
post #187 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Aspect ratio should be spot on at 1280x720...however you'll need to make sure your dvd playback software is setup correctly.
post #188 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Aspect ratio should be spot on at 1280x720...however you'll need to make sure your dvd playback software is setup correctly.

Is there a setting then, in WM10 or DVD soft, to output to a 16:9 aspect ratio screen?
post #189 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The settings are usually located in your dvd decoders (WM10 doesn't have decoders it's using them from another software package, i've never used dvd soft)...somtimes a dvd is flagged incorrectly and between the settings on your tv and the settings on your pc it will stretch incorrectly...one example is a 16:9 movie that the pc detects as 4:3 and if your tv is set to 16:9 or Full then the tv just stretches it sideways when really the pc should have zoomed on it so the tv would just show it full screen. Try some different dvds and see if you issues with all of them.
post #190 of 1176 Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:

The settings are usually located in your dvd decoders (WM10 doesn't have decoders it's using them from another software package, i've never used dvd soft)...somtimes a dvd is flagged incorrectly and between the settings on your tv and the settings on your pc it will stretch incorrectly...one example is a 16:9 movie that the pc detects as 4:3 and if your tv is set to 16:9 or Full then the tv just stretches it sideways when really the pc should have zoomed on it so the tv would just show it full screen. Try some different dvds and see if you issues with all of them.

I use WinDVD and Divx Player... I'll check the settings.
post #191 of 1176 Old 03-08-2006, 12:46 PM

I am going to purchase this LCD, on my HD ready 26HVX I use a LG3510 HD tuner that is QAM compatable. My questions is, With this LCD, being that it has a HD Tuner built in do I only need a QAM tuner to get HDTV via cable?

Thanks.
post #192 of 1176 Old 03-08-2006, 03:31 PM

I know this thread is mainly about the existing 42HVi, but does anyone have any new info regarding the Signature series line of LCDs coming out from Syntax? I'm excited about its video scaler, and would love to any news on it. Thanks.
post #193 of 1176 Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:

no real regrets especially at the price i paid (hint...you can find it cheaper than compusa ) although i would like to see a fix for the sharpness with component issue.

Naylia - I was convinced that I'm waiting for the Vizio 42" Plasma coming out on March 20th, but then saw this at MicroCenter today for the same price after rebate. It looks awesome, and I'm on the verge of buying it.. but then saw your comment about sharpness level with component inputs.

I have a network media player and a Progressive Scan DVD player that each have only Component Video outputs. This could be a big issue for me. Has it been a serious problem for you? anything else you can tell me will help me make my decision.

Also - any comparisons between this and a Plasma in terms of picture quality? I'm not sure which one would be my best bet.

Thanks
post #194 of 1176 Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

I know this thread is mainly about the existing 42HVi, but does anyone have any new info regarding the Signature series line of LCDs coming out from Syntax? I'm excited about its video scaler, and would love to any news on it. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=616051
post #195 of 1176 Old 03-09-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryu View Post

Naylia - I was convinced that I'm waiting for the Vizio 42" Plasma coming out on March 20th, but then saw this at MicroCenter today for the same price after rebate. It looks awesome, and I'm on the verge of buying it.. but then saw your comment about sharpness level with component inputs.

I have a network media player and a Progressive Scan DVD player that each have only Component Video outputs. This could be a big issue for me. Has it been a serious problem for you? anything else you can tell me will help me make my decision.

Also - any comparisons between this and a Plasma in terms of picture quality? I'm not sure which one would be my best bet.

Thanks

When I saw the Syntax at Microcenter a couple of months ago, I thought the picture from a DVD via component imputs looked great - in fact, it looked like a plasma display. Then I took a look at the same TV at a CompUSA and was less impressed. I assume they used poor settings there.

I'm in the same boat as you - was set on the Vizio, but now not so sure.

I got my head on straight, got my booty body ready for the plush funk.
post #196 of 1176 Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the info.

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #197 of 1176 Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Olevia View Post

I am going to purchase this LCD, on my HD ready 26HVX I use a LG3510 HD tuner that is QAM compatable. My questions is, With this LCD, being that it has a HD Tuner built in do I only need a QAM tuner to get HDTV via cable?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the ATSC tuner in the LT42HVi is NOT QAM capable, so you'll need to use the LG3510. A lot of websites with LT42HVi press releases incorrectly states the tuner as QAM...maybe, Syntax originally had planned the units to have QAM. You might also want to consider the new Sceptre x42gv-Naga 42" LCD 1080p.
post #198 of 1176 Old 03-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Well I jumped in and bought the Syntax 42" this weekend.
Microcenter has an amazing deal on it this week... too good to pass up.

I removed the speakers and lowered the stand so it's just the display. I play the sound through my HT system. It looks great... I was trying to decide between this unit and the Vizio 42" plasma coming out next week. There were a few different reasons I went with this one, but one of them was the way it looks... it's beautiful.

I hooked it up through component inputs to my Buffalo LinkTheater network media player / up-converting DVD player, and the second set of Component inputs to my HT system. I like the fact that this has two HDMI inputs, for future upgrades I'll be making, but right now I don't have any thing with HDMI to plug into it.

The picture is amazing. I had some HD video clips downloade from the MS WMV-HD site and they look spectacular. Digital photographs I have look stunning, and DVD's look fantastic.

I ordered a calibration DVD, it hasn't come yet, but I don't think it will need many changes. I thought the colors looked great. Also, I've been very impressed with the black levels... they're far superior to the Olevia 37" units I've seen.

The only downside is the remote. It's terrible! It's not very user friendly and most important, the range is very short. I find that I really have to be within about 6 or 7 feet of the TV or it doesn't work at all. I'll have to get a universal remote to replace it.

I'm using a Radio Shack indoor amplified antenna with an electric rotator that can be operated with a remote to get HDTV OTA. It seems to work pretty well, I still have to find the best settings for each station. It's a shame that there's so little programming in HD yet, but what I have found has been gorgeous. The ATSC tuner seems to be pretty good. I have basic cable service plugged into the NTSC tuner. I don't think I want to spring for all the extra $ for digital cable just yet.

One other thing I've been very surprised at is that SD channels look great too. So many other HDTV's that look fantastic with HD content, give very poor picture quality for SD content... including Panasonic's I've seen. This one looks terrific... and since most content is still SD, It sure is nice to see.

Microcenter also had the AKAI 42" plasma for about the same price, I considered that one two, but seeing the two, I thought this one had a much better picture quality plus the Akai doesn't have tuners.

So far, it seems like an incredible bang for the buck!
post #199 of 1176 Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM

I bought one today, and I am wondering if mine is defective. The picture is good, but I hear a high pitch faint buzzing sound coming from the lcd. I tried muting, unplugging all cables and even plugging into different outlets. I called up tech support and was told to set backlight to bright, that didn't solve the problem. Anyone else have this issue?

TIA
post #200 of 1176 Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd take it back, never accept anything if it isn't pure joy right out of the box when you first get it

Some people have reported faint buzzing from the speakers out of the box and had warranty repairs made to fix it, but since you just bought it I'd return it and ask for a new one.
post #201 of 1176 Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Does anyone hear weird noises from their set? It's like cracks and pops, like an old house flexing? When I first put my set up on the wall, I didn't hear much, but then I started hearing the noises at night, like the mount or the wall or the tv was flexing. So I panicked and after a few days took the set down, thinking I am going to get the mount that Syntax sells (I bought an Peerless ST660S, rated to 200lbs). After I took it down, I still hear the noises, only when I watch the tv, i.e. it's been on a for a while. Then I remember, my Samsung DLP RPTV out in the family room does the same thing, just once in a while I'll hear a violent noise, like when an old CRT monitor degausses, but maybe a little worse. Is this normal? Should it be something I' be concerned with?
post #202 of 1176 Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang View Post

Does anyone hear weird noises from their set? It's like cracks and pops, like an old house flexing? When I first put my set up on the wall, I didn't hear much, but then I started hearing the noises at night, like the mount or the wall or the tv was flexing. So I panicked and after a few days took the set down, thinking I am going to get the mount that Syntax sells (I bought an Peerless ST660S, rated to 200lbs). After I took it down, I still hear the noises, only when I watch the tv, i.e. it's been on a for a while. Then I remember, my Samsung DLP RPTV out in the family room does the same thing, just once in a while I'll hear a violent noise, like when an old CRT monitor degausses, but maybe a little worse. Is this normal? Should it be something I' be concerned with?

I would presume these units get fairly warm/hot during normal operation - especially aftering being on for a long period. Is your unit well ventilated? If the unit get too hot, the metal will start to expand and contract, flex if you will - however minor it may be. This can result in 'creeking' and other related type sounds coming from the TV. Keep it cool!

redjr...

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #203 of 1176 Old 03-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Hi Folks,

I bought the LT42HVi after reading so many great reviews of this TV. Must say that its an excellent set in term of picture quality.

I hooked up my DISH network receiver via HDMI to the HDMI1 input on this TV and for some reason I don't get any sound. I do get excellent picture though.

Reading the manual It says that we need to connect RCA cables for sound. So considering that HDMI is supposed to support Audio and Video, why does the olevia not do sound via HDMI ? There doesn't seem to be a way to get digital audio if I use HDMI right ?

thanks & regards..
post #204 of 1176 Old 03-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Hi,

The zoom mode on 42hvi seems useless. In zoom mode there is a display that pops up and never goes away. Is there a work around for this ? The display sits right in the center of the screen and obstructs the view as well. Quite dumb IMO no ?

thx & regards.
post #205 of 1176 Old 03-17-2006, 02:38 PM

I think the HDMI plug that syntax uses will not accept sound, i.e. like true HDMI which includes audio and video. I've never used the zoom so I can't help you there, sorry.

But does anyone know how to use the sleep function? I can't figure it out!
post #206 of 1176 Old 03-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooseball View Post

Hi Folks,

I bought the LT42HVi after reading so many great reviews of this TV. Must say that its an excellent set in term of picture quality.

I hooked up my DISH network receiver via HDMI to the HDMI1 input on this TV and for some reason I don't get any sound. I do get excellent picture though.

Reading the manual It says that we need to connect RCA cables for sound. So considering that HDMI is supposed to support Audio and Video, why does the olevia not do sound via HDMI ? There doesn't seem to be a way to get digital audio if I use HDMI right ?

thanks & regards..

Hi,

I have my Direct TV HD Tivo (HR10-250) hooked to my LT42 via an HDMI cable and I get video and audio just fine. The set has two hdmi ports, did you try hooking up to the other one? Maybe you have a defective port? I don't think you need to hook anything else up, along with HDMI, to get the sound. It's not like Component connections.
post #207 of 1176 Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Hi Folks,

thanks & regards..

Check the settings for your receiver. My cable box has a setting for Audio via HDMI.
post #208 of 1176 Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Hi,

The zoom mode on 42hvi seems useless. In zoom mode there is a display that pops up and never goes away. Is there a work around for this ? The display sits right in the center of the screen and obstructs the view as well. Quite dumb IMO no ?

thx & regards.

Agree with you completely, yes, dumb oversight! I called tech support and they said they are aware of the problem; they also said, it *might* be fixed in a new firmware release and I should check back in a month.
post #209 of 1176 Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Based on all I have read here, I decided to buy the LT42HVi, best bang for the buck.

Ordered it from BuyDig with $200 rebate on March 12th. It arrived on March 16th.

My plan is to remove the speakers and lower the stand. This is the only way I can fit it into my entertainment center.

I was unable to remove all the screws to lower the stand. One had fallen out, one came out but was bent, one did not move at all and I stripped the head. The last one came half way out and that was it. My quess is that the box was dropped and since the unit is packed on the stand, the screws/stand was damaged. I see that this has happened to others, one guy just drilled the screws out. But, he was wall mounting the unit, I need to use the stand. I don't want to drill them out (if I can) because if the unit was dropped, then what else is wrong with it (I never did power it up).

I called that night and faxed in the Replacement form. I am still waiting for a new unit to ship. Repeated calls and e-mails have not been returned.

Also, I did not realize that the Speaker "Mount" kit also contains bezels that, even though I'm not going to mount them on the sides, are required to separate the speakers. The kit + shipping is $170, so there goes my $200 rebate.

This has been a very disappointing experience. I almost wish I could just return the damaged unit and get my money back.
post #210 of 1176 Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie54 View Post

This has been a very disappointing experience. I almost wish I could just return the damaged unit and get my money back.

I hear ya! I felt the same after receiving the TV and finding out achieving pixel perfect 1366x768 from PC was impossible and no QAM support.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page