Wow, Wow, Wow... Just left the CompUSA in Raleigh, NC... I made the sales rep go to the back and bring out a new 42" Olevia LCD and set it up for me to watch. OK, literally, he plugged it into a very lame Component Feed and did NOT tweak in any way. It looked as good, if not better than Anything in the store! Now granted, this is CompUSA we're talking about, so that may not be saying much.
I own an 8th gen 42" panny plasma and a Pioneer 63" 16x9 Pioneer ELite RPTV (which is still considered by many to be the best consumer picture ever made.. until plasma and lcd's generate inky blacks!) so I have a fairly well trained eye.
My initial reaction is:
1. very good detail
2. Un-tweaked color was very watchable
3. The Glass "cover' made colors "pop", unlike a traditional LCD. I own a "tru brite" HP laptop and I prefer this look, so YMMV!
4. Honestly, better than virtually all LCD's I've seen to date (including SONY and Sanyo). In fact, this is the FIRST LCD I actually liked!
5. At $$ I couldn't believe my eyes... for the money, it's a no brainer.
6. No visible scan lines, very fine picture... even 720P plasma's reveal scan lines to my eyes.
OK, remember, this was a 30 minute in store eval.
1. Clearly NOT up to par with plasma or RPTV in terms of black levels. That said, I found the black level veyr acceptable. With tweaking, who knows?
2. Speakers? Couldn't really comment on these since it was in-store.
Bottom line I'm now chaning my last minute xmas gift plans!
If this is the wave of the future, bring on the LCD's!