post #91 of 1181 Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaturno View Post

Not really...I sorta went with the opinions voiced here. When I get it, I will
calibrate and watch some dvd's and give a review.

If you do get a chance to stop by that store again, please try to do a detailed comparison between the two sets and report it back here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1181 Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD1080 View Post

Good, I definitely wasn't planning on sitting 2 feet from the screen. I was thinking that if it were possible to move your JVC 1 or 2 feet closer that you might see more of the 1080 lines on your 1920 x 1080 display. In order for the human eye to differentiate between two adjacent lines on an HD monitor those lines must be no closer than 0.017 degree apart. A 40 inch screen has a vertical height of 19.6 inches. That means each line is separated by 19.6/1080 of an inch which is 0.01815 inch. A right triangle having an acute angle of 0.017 degree and an opposite side that measures 0.01815 inch has an adjacent side that measures 61.2 inches which is 5.1 feet. Therefore one should sit no further than 5.1 feet to be able to resolve all 1080 lines. Perhaps with your new laser corrected vision of 20/15 you can differentiate between two adjacent lines that are less than 0.017 degree. In that case you could sit further away and still see all 1080 lines.

Wow, that is some interesting math! I remember some of the home theater recommendations for my Panasonic 56" was around 10-12 feet, which I great when it was at my parents' place 5 years ago. When I moved to my townhouse, I had to get used to watching it from 6 feet away (which I like now). If I'm sitting 5.1 feet away from the JVC, it seems like I'm almost in my living room watching my Panny (just the perceived size, not quality). I measured and I'm currently watching (if lying down) at around 8 feet, but I did take the pictures around 5 feet. Anyways, I doubt that laser vision correct can make the eyes that super sharp.
post #93 of 1181 Old 12-14-2005, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really...I sorta went with the opinions voiced here. When I get it, I will
calibrate and watch some dvd's and give a review.

Uh oh, that's alot of pressure being that I'm one of only 3 people that have posted about it. But I don't doubt that you love this set!!! Congratulations on your purchase!!!

Just make sure they don't send you the LT-40X776, which I was worried about getting because they are so close on price. Just around 2 C notes more for 1080p is a no brainer.
post #94 of 1181 Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Uh oh, that's alot of pressure being that I'm one of only 3 people that have posted about it. But I don't doubt that you love this set!!! Congratulations on your purchase!!!

Just make sure they don't send you the LT-40X776, which I was worried about getting because they are so close on price. Just around 2 C notes more for 1080p is a no brainer.

What's the pixel response time rated at for this unit? Have you noticed any motion blur or ghosting?

And if you get a chance, could you check out the Bravias some more and do a comparison report between these two units? I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two sets and I can't seem to find the JVC in person. I've seen the Bravias countless times and the picture quality is truly amazing. However, you've now piqued my interest in this JVC 1080p unit, especially considering the pricing is about the same as the Bravia and at the same time, it comes with higher resolution. And you sound like an informed individual so I'm giving more weight to your opinions. I really wish I could get a chance to see this set in person...
post #95 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Wow, that is some interesting math!...I measured and I'm currently watching (if lying down) at around 8 feet...

Well just for fun you might try to see if you can watch your JVC from 5 feet away while at the same time using an OTA antenna delivering a 1080i broadcast from WETA (PBS in Washington). Your location may make OTA reception impossible but it would be worth it to play around with one of those portable antennas specifically designed for HD reception. If you can get it to work I think that you'll be mildly shocked at the PQ that your JVC is capable of delivering.
post #96 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post

What's the pixel response time rated at for this unit? Have you noticed any motion blur or ghosting?

And if you get a chance, could you check out the Bravias some more and do a comparison report between these two units? I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two sets and I can't seem to find the JVC in person. I've seen the Bravias countless times and the picture quality is truly amazing. However, you've now piqued my interest in this JVC 1080p unit, especially considering the pricing is about the same as the Bravia and at the same time, it comes with higher resolution. And you sound like an informed individual so I'm giving more weight to your opinions. I really wish I could get a chance to see this set in person...

I have been looking for the pixel response as has everyone else (it's not in the manual), but cannot find it. I have not seen any motion blur or ghosting with any show (like the NFL games,etc.), so I guessing it as less than 12msec if not 8msec (wasn't that the "marker" for unperceived motion blur). I have not tried any video game systems, but I'm waiting to see if I can find an xbox360.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll try stop by the local CC or BB and look at the Sony's again more indepthly, but of course that won't be a side by side comparison. There is always something better around the corner and I guess I'll find out in 20 days (My 4th CES).
post #97 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well just for fun you might try to see if you can watch your JVC from 5 feet away while at the same time using an OTA antenna delivering a 1080i broadcast from WETA (PBS in Washington). Your location may make OTA reception impossible but it would be worth it to play around with one of those portable antennas specifically designed for HD reception. If you can get it to work I think that you'll be mildly shocked at the PQ that your JVC is capable of delivering.

I was debating on trying the OTA last weekend, but the cablecard is stop me. Like I said before, with the cablecard it, the fan is always on. I would have to unplug the power, pull the cablecard, and power it back on. I'm one of those "if it ain't broke" kind of guys and I'm worried shorting the cablecard, etc. I would like to test OTA just for reception sake (Like said before I don't think there will be a quality difference because there is no cable box doing the conversion), but I don't know..... I didn't get a chance the day after they delivered the TV because Comcast came with the cablecard. FYI, WETA's tower is in Arlington and it's line of sight is blocked by the DC towers, so it is hard to get. I was getting NBC and WB in and out with an OTA receiver (Radio Shack Accurian 6000 with an indoor antenna) that I got for a friend's Christmas/upcoming baby shower. Those stations are 1080i and I guess I can catch Leno..... As for Antennas, I got alot of them (even the Silver Sensor when it first can out over here), but it doesn't help. In the other post, I said my temporary solution before cable was using an outdoor antenna indoors with a preamp (but that was a generation 1 receiver). I still may try OTA one day if I'm adventurous...
post #98 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just got off the phone at work with UPS. They are delivering my new JVC LT-40FH96 today. So if all goes well I will be setting it up tonight. I already have my DVI to HDMI cable to test the HP z555 media center with it. I will post after all test are done. I also will be able to report OTA reception of HDTV as I do not have cable and currently receive all my TV OTA.
post #99 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone compared the two units?
Aside from the resolution bump how does the picture compare?
The blacks?

Mike
post #100 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like I said before, with the cablecard it, the fan is always on.(Like said before I don't think there will be a quality difference because there is no cable box doing the conversion), but I don't know.....As for Antennas, I got alot of them (even the Silver Sensor when it first can out over here), but it doesn't help. In the other post, I said my temporary solution before cable was using an outdoor antenna indoors with a preamp (but that was a generation 1 receiver). I still may try OTA one day if I'm adventurous...

I'm not clear on how the 1080i signal is processed when using a cablecard vs. using the Comcast box. I believe you said that Comcast doesn't compress the signal so what type of processing is occuring within the Comcast box that degrades the PQ? I'd be interested in the cable card if the fan sound were not a significant distraction. How would you characterize the fan sound in your JVC?

I have the Silver Sensor and didn't have much luck either. The best indoor antenna I had was one that measured 3 feet by 2 feet and looked like chain link fence. The aesthetics left something to be desired however.
post #101 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone post if this JVC 1080p LCD has backlighting issues? Specifically in the corners, light bleed.

This is the major negative criticism of the Westinghouse LVM-37w1 1080p LCD tv.
post #102 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not clear on how the 1080i signal is processed when using a cablecard vs. using the Comcast box. I believe you said that Comcast doesn't compress the signal so what type of processing is occuring within the Comcast box that degrades the PQ? I'd be interested in the cable card if the fan sound were not a significant distraction. How would you characterize the fan sound in your JVC?

I have the Silver Sensor and didn't have much luck either. The best indoor antenna I had was one that measured 3 feet by 2 feet and looked like chain link fence. The aesthetics left something to be desired however.

First, I'll say that connecting with cable with and without the cablecard, they picture quality was the same (of course, though, that is not your question). Second, I know the box degrades the picture at least through component because I have the Motorola DCT-6412 Dual tuner hooked up to my Panasonic through component and it is kind of blurry. If use DCT-6412 as a tuner to my D-VHS (hooked together by firewire to pass the signal) and go through the D-VHS's component to my Panny, it is alot sharper (definitely equivalent to my OTA 1st gen Panasonic receiver which was considered one of the Best Picture Quality OTA receivers). When you use firewire, everything is passed natively, so there is no conversion. So the conclusion is that it has to be the box at least on the component side. I don't think I have the 2nd (DVI) or definitely not 3rd gen (HDMI) DVR, but I'd bet if you used those connections it clearer than component (my panny is too old to have either connection anyways). BTW, I had my Panny ISF'ed about 2 years ago for color and convergence, so it still very sharp and also it was one of the few RPTVs that could do 720p and 1080i.

As for the fan, it is not really loud with the TV on (the fan would be on anyways if I didn't have the cablecard because the tv is on). With the TV off, it is noticeable. I say it is about as loud as a computer fan. The first night is was waking me up, but now I learned to zone it out.

I still may test OTA for ya.....
post #103 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

Can someone post if this JVC 1080p LCD has backlighting issues? Specifically in the corners, light bleed.

I have never noticed a problem with the corners, but I'll double check when I go home. Can you see any issues in the pictures I posted? There is no backlighting controls like I hear other LCDs have unless I haven't found it....
post #104 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharding View Post

Just got off the phone at work with UPS. They are delivering my new JVC LT-40FH96 today. So if all goes well I will be setting it up tonight. I already have my DVI to HDMI cable to test the HP z555 media center with it. I will post after all test are done. I also will be able to report OTA reception of HDTV as I do not have cable and currently receive all my TV OTA.

That's great news! Everyone is eagerly awaiting.

As for OTA, LCD1080 would like comparison of cable vs OTA, so I'll probably have to do it. I guess you can report how sensitive to it is compared to your other experiences.
post #105 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

There is no backlighting controls like I hear other LCDs have unless I haven't found it....

How about the "Energy Saver setting? The manual doesn't seem to really explain it at all. Does it allow modulation of the backlight (course settings) perhaps? Also, they show a "Detail" setting adjustment with a vague description. Is this simply a sharpness control?

ron
post #106 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, I'll say that connecting with cable with and without the cablecard, they picture quality was the same (of course, though, that is not your question). Second, I know the box degrades the picture at least through component because I have the Motorola DCT-6412 Dual tuner hooked up to my Panasonic through component and it is kind of blurry. If use DCT-6412 as a tuner to my D-VHS (hooked together by firewire to pass the signal) and go through the D-VHS's component to my Panny, it is alot sharper (definitely equivalent to my OTA 1st gen Panasonic receiver which was considered one of the Best Picture Quality OTA receivers). When you use firewire, everything is passed natively, so there is no conversion. So the conclusion is that it has to be the box at least on the component side.

Ah so that's why my hi-def PQ with the Comcast box was so much softer than the PQ with OTA using the RGB port on my DTC-100. I used the Comcast box with the component connections and saw the same bluriness you describe. OTA through the DTC-100's RGB port on my old 1080i CRT was spectacular. I've never seen anything come close to the sharpness of the hi-def PQ with the RGB/CRT/OTA combination. Thanks for the help.
post #107 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

How about the "Energy Saver setting? The manual doesn't seem to really explain it at all. Does it allow modulation of the backlight (course settings) perhaps? Also, they show a "Detail" setting adjustment with a vague description. Is this simply a sharpness control?

ron

Yes, "Energy Saver" is the backlight control, and "Detail" is the sharpness control.
post #108 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Yes, "Energy Saver" is the backlight control, and "Detail" is the sharpness control.

That's what I suspected. Thanks.

ron
post #109 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What does that look like? If you asking if the corners are brighter than the center or if the corners show white light, then no to both.
post #110 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Energy Saver doesn't seem to control the backlight that much. I expected when I move it all the way negative (to the left), it would be pitch black. It barely got darker.; almost imperceivable. The same is almost true if I went all the way positive (to the right), it went brighter but not much (The difference seem more noticeable here).
post #111 of 1181 Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What does that look like? If you asking if the corners are brighter than the center or if the corners show white light, then no to both.

This is what I'm seeing on my Westinghouse 37-inch 1080p LCD monitor:

It's also, what most LCD displays show to some degree. Some may be worse than others, but almost all LCDs display some form of light bleed in the corners or the sides. And sometimes, even corners/sides at the same time.
post #112 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good News! I connected my new HP Media Center z555 using the DVI output on the HP and connected it to the HDMI 1 input on the JVC and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. It works perfectly! The picture was excellent! I guess the reason is the HP Media Center is designed to interface with HDTVs so the signal must be compatable. The OTA reception with the built in ATSC tuner was also excellent with no problems.
post #113 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Rieper there is no light bleed at all on my JVC. In fact it has the most film like picture I have ever seen. The contrast ratio is not as good as my CRT Panny CT34WX50 but it is better then other LCDs I have looked at. It may be the best out there right now.
post #114 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Good News! I connected my new HP Media Center z555 using the DVI output on the HP and connected it to the HDMI 1 input on the JVC and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. It works perfectly! The picture was excellent! I guess the reason is the HP Media Center is designed to interface with HDTVs so the signal must be compatable. The OTA reception with the built in ATSC tuner was also excellent with no problems.

that great!!
i am also looking for a combination of the LT-40FH96 and Z-558.
would it be possible to post a couple of screenshots with the windows desktop on the JVC screen?

thanks
Shaip
post #115 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow that is huge news. Why in the heck isn't JVC advertising this feature big time? I mean here they've apparently got the only 40 inch 1920x1080 panel on the market that accepts a 1080P signal from a home computer and they're not calling that out from the rooftops? I'm at a complete loss to understand that. Anyway, I've got a Sony RA930G Media Center computer. If I swap out my NVidia 6600 graphics card for an HD graphics card does that mean that I should be able to repeat your experience by feeding my PC's DVI output to the HDMI 1 input of the JVC with the graphics card set at 1920x1080? What is the graphics card that you have in your HP Media Center?
post #116 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is good news, but to reiterate what you said, is it working because it's HP design or can any computer do that? Is it outputing 1080i? If so, can you disable that (1080i output)? Any other computers in your house that have a DVI that you can try?

Thanks!
post #117 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Does Crutchfield carry this JVC set? I can't find it on their website.

Where are you guys buying this JVC from? I can't find it anywhere reputable...
post #118 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that at 1080p or is your media center computer outputing 1080i? That is a very significant distinction...
post #119 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If your Westinghouse looks even remotely like that, it is obviously defective. Why haven't you returned it?

The Westinghouse has a very strong backlight. It is very difficult to keep the level consistent across the entire screen when cranked up all the way. I can notice a slight variation when i have a solid grey screen, but it is not noticable at all with normal content. If its noticable, your set is defective. Get another one.
post #120 of 1181 Old 12-16-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Do you have picture on the TV when you boot the PC?
When Windows is loading?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page