The Official HP LC2600N/LC3200N/LC3700 thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1101 Old 01-11-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are only a few posts about this tv and I wanted to know if others had it. I was thinking of getting the Syntax 27HVX but the more I researched, the more I was drawn to this. Sure its more money, but the HP comes with a cable card slot, HD Tuner, DVI input, removable speakers and IMHO looks better than the Syntax.

Please, what do you all think?

I want to kill two birds with one stone. I want a nice LCD that can act as a computer monitor AND tv and cable card will be so much cheaper than renting another cable box just for a bedroom tv.

Any other suggestions less that $1000? Thanks.

Please tell me your experience as a computer monitor and tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1101 Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 PM

I am looking at the same tv as you.
What do you think about the sharp LC26D5U
Or is the HP LC2600n better
post #3 of 1101 Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy714 View Post

I am looking at the same tv as you.
What do you think about the sharp LC26D5U
Or is the HP LC2600n better

The HP is a Sharp. I think the HP version is better for the following reasons:
Sharp makes you compromise on inputs, the HP has them all.
HP gives you the extensive color management system (CMS).
HP gives you signal/channel strength information.
DVI input gives you the option for Digital-PC Analog-PC Digital-AV Analog-AV
PC via DVI allows 1024x768 1280x768 1366x768 resolution with options to fine adjust clock freqency and phase.
You can adjust screen position.
Besides color temp you can also adjust the backlight.
Provides i.Link output and digital optical out.

No one Sharp model has all these features.

The viewing angle on the HP is much better then the Olivia.
Dynamic contrast there's no comparison 3000 vs 1600.
More detailed picture adjustments.
Has the ATSC tuner, Cablecard slot, HDMI input.
More output options.

Some Olivia's do appear to have better on-board sound options.

I have the HP and am very happy with it.

If the Olivia meets your needs consider the 26HVX. It has the newer, faster, higher contrast panel then the other Olivia 26 and 27 inch models.
post #4 of 1101 Old 01-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I don't have the LC2600N, but I just got the LC3700N a week ago and I love it! I was also deciding between Sharp, Syntax, HP, and LG.

I don't know how it is with Syntax, but to get the native resolution of 1366x768 for the computer on the HP I had to fiddle around abit (actually, in the end I followed the direction on my video card's (nvidia) calibration screen, which basically said to press the auto sync button on the TV, and it worked perfectly).

I have a computer hooked up to the TV via DVI port and I can't say the TV is as sharp as a computer monitor, but it's not bad (one you get it to the native resolution). I do most of my browsing on the tv now and text is quite clear. I did have a problem with an info box on the upper right corner popping up randomly and it was getting quite annoying. Apparently some people have this problem with Sharp as well, and it might be related to dropped digital tv signal (even if you are using another input connection). I tried changing the TV channel to something with strong signal before going to PC input, and I have no idea if that was the problem, but I haven't had the pop up since.

I don't think I'm a good judge of HD picture quality since this is my first HDTV, but I'm just amazed at the picture! Not just HD programming, but SD on the digital channels look pretty good too. HP doesn't have Picture-in-picture feature, but I don't think I'd miss it.

I would definitely get the HP over the Sharp, since it's the same screen, but with more input options, but I thought the choice between HP and Syntax was a little more difficult. I considered Syntax since it had the DVI input, was much cheaper, and PQ seemed fine except for what I thought seemed to be a slight purple tint as the viewing angle increased. In the end, my wife just did not like the way Syntax looked, and I got the HP and loving it!
post #5 of 1101 Old 01-12-2006, 10:13 PM

Go to nextag and do a search for the lc2600n. Super price if you can wait for it to get back in stock.
post #6 of 1101 Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRobb View Post

Go to nextag and do a search for the lc2600n. Super price if you can wait for it to get back in stock.

Thanks for the tip! It's back in stock and I just ordered one.
post #7 of 1101 Old 01-20-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I bit the bullet and purchased the lc2600N (J&R one day sale pushed me over the edge-what a great deal!). So i've only had time to fiddle with the tv for a bit and I'm so glad I got it! The PQ is great (only tested DVD b/c no cable yet). However, the PC function is great. I can't get native to work property (it makes the screen a touch too wide- and windos will move the screen automatically when the mouse goes to either edge) so I'm using a slightly lower resoultion, I set the tv to accept the same resolution the PC was outputting and I used microsoft cleartype to smooth out the text and it works great. I'm happy the tv has opitcal out so that if I get cablecard, I still can get 5.1 sound but I'm told by TWC NYC users that cable card is not as good as a stb so I will probably get the box later.

Anyway, the biggest complaint is the stand. Its chunky and only swivels, no tilt or height adjustment. I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket stand but I may just suck it up.

BTW I also have the 42phd8uk and thats my unit of measure for PQ. Its not as good as the plasma, but I wasn't expecting it and I'm not disappointed. If you can get it for the sale price, I say do it.
post #8 of 1101 Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I had the problem you had with the screen being too wide and the screen moving on the edges. I tried so many things, so I don't quite remember exactly what I did, but if you have an nvidia video card, I think basically I set the resolution on the video card to 1368x768, and went to the nvidia's calibration screen and select autosync on the TV when the computer tells you to. I get full screen dot to dot mapping now.
post #9 of 1101 Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

By the way, I agree with you about the stand. Have you found any stand that works with the TV? I'd rather not wall mount it right now.
post #10 of 1101 Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM

While I have the LC2600N set to 1368x768, my ATI card doesn't support it natively, so I'm running my PC at 1280x768 and it fits perfectly.
post #11 of 1101 Old 01-23-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know why I did it because 1280 x 768 was displaying great, but I downloaded powerstrip and I made a custom resolution of 1366X768 so technically, I'm mapping 1:1. I had to set the TV to 1366X768 input and I had to squeeze the picture using Powerstrip. I don't know if the picture is much better. You would think it has to be, but I'm not sure. I'll leave it for a bit, but I may just go back to 1280x768 because its supported by my graphics card and no need for powerstrip to load and hog system resources.

I can't stand the stand so I ordered a Chief MFG tilt wall bracket. Its one of the few that says ok for drywall (the tv w/ no speakers is only 25.4 lbs so almost anything, even a strong hook should be ok on drywall alone, but I know none of us, including me, will take such a silly chance). I can't center this over my desk and have it hit a stud (besides, I have all metal and most other mounts say they require wood).
post #12 of 1101 Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Can anybody tell me the width of the stand of this HP 26" LCD? thanks
post #13 of 1101 Old 01-24-2006, 09:16 PM

Stand is 22 5/8" long by 10 7/8" wide
post #14 of 1101 Old 01-24-2006, 10:38 PM

I just got this TV two nights ago and I am extremely impressed. Playing my 360 on the display is a viewing delight, with accurate colors and deep blacks. I am defiantly not an expert on anything home theater but I would recommend this TV in a heartbeat. I plan on posting a full review of it soon and possibly making an official thread for this line of TV. If you find a great deal like the one I found, you cannot go wrong with it. I got this featured filled LCD for less than the Sharp DA5U. If you can find that low of a price, BUY IT. You will be satisfied unless the unit is defective.
post #15 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM

Just got a DVI-to-HDMI cable (from monoprice) to see what difference it would make from my Dish 811 receiver. The LC2600N would only accept a 720p input on HDMI (480p and 1080i = no picture). Component would accept all resolutions. I could not see a difference between HDMI and component. They had noticeably more detail then S-video. On SD content that meant I also saw more of Dish's compression artifacts.
post #16 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Stand is 22 5/8" long by 10 7/8" wide

RJ, can you confirm the stand base dimensions again? This is for the 26" HP, correct? I'm only asking as Crutchfield has the base footprint at 20.5 by 9.25. The Crutchfield specs would fit my install space, but your would be a hair too wide for the narrow stand I want to put this on. Thanks,

Kiipa
post #17 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered the HDMI to HDMI cable from monoprice when I called for my cable appointment but I decided in the end to go for CableCard. I will let you know how it looks once its installed.
post #18 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

RJ, can you confirm the stand base dimensions again? This is for the 26" HP, correct? I'm only asking as Crutchfield has the base footprint at 20.5 by 9.25. The Crutchfield specs would fit my install space, but your would be a hair too wide for the narrow stand I want to put this on. Thanks,

Kiipa

Unless HP has updated the LC2600N, the base size I indicated is correct (it's big and heavy). I'll check again when I get home and update if I'm wrong. Mine has a build date of July 2005. A few folks have posted they don't like the base ergonomics. Checkout the LC2600N at JR.com also.

From user manual:
with stand and speakers: 19.9 in. (50.5 cm) x 36.8 in. (93.4 cm) x 10.8 in. (27.5 cm)
w/o stand with speakers: 16.7 in. (42.5 cm) x 36.8 in. (93.4 cm) x 4.25 in. (10.8 cm)

Yes, my measurements were correct, and
w/o stand w/o speakers: 16.7 in. x 27 in. x 4.25 in.
post #19 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM

[quote=RJRobb][The HP is a Sharp. ...I think the HP version is better for the following reasons....]

Can you provide any independent confirmation that this is indeed a sharp?
This may make my purchase decision of this unit all the easier. And given that i don't know you from a hole in the wall (and i'm a scientist), that's why i'm asking...
cheers
jared
post #20 of 1101 Old 01-26-2006, 08:08 PM

[quote=jbrownin]
Quote:

[The HP is a Sharp. ...I think the HP version is better for the following reasons....]

Can you provide any independent confirmation that this is indeed a sharp?
This may make my purchase decision of this unit all the easier. And given that i don't know you from a hole in the wall (and i'm a scientist), that's why i'm asking...
cheers
jared

Compare features like "Quick Shoot" exclusive to Sharp built products also 6 color 3 function CMS.
Compare the menu system's, identical look.
Compare the User manual's.
Compare the specs.
Assembled in Mexico.
Search the forum, others have indicated the HP LCD's are assembled by Sharp.
Are HP LCD TVs rebadged Sharps?
Computer Manufacturers LCD monitors.
LC2600N- Is this the new Sharp D5U?
Mike53 who replied seem's to have sales/technical information regarding Sharp products based on other replies.
Some have even reported there video cards recognize it as a Sharp
post #21 of 1101 Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 AM

I took delivery of this TV a few days ago. Like others, I bought it from J&R.

This TV is fantastic. I'm using it as an all-in-one PC/DVD/HD/Xbox360 monitor and it looks great with everything I've thrown at it.

I was concerned about getting the PC setup 1:1 with this TV because of its Sharp panel but after a couple of hours fiddling with it, it worked great. I'm using DVI and the latest ATI Catalyst driver/Control Center.

The key was to set it to accept the 1366x768 signal in the TV's Input Signal menu, set it to 1366x768 in the ATI Control Center and then mess with the clock and phase adjustments in the TV's setup menu. I now have razor sharp text. The last thing I had to do was install the monitor.inf for a Sony GDM-W900 so windows would keep the resolution on reboot.

I'm very happy with this TV.
post #22 of 1101 Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupakai View Post

I did have a problem with an info box on the upper right corner popping up randomly and it was getting quite annoying. Apparently some people have this problem with Sharp as well, and it might be related to dropped digital tv signal (even if you are using another input connection). I tried changing the TV channel to something with strong signal before going to PC input, and I have no idea if that was the problem, but I haven't had the pop up since.

I had this issue once while playing Xbox360 through component. I cycled the power to the TV and it hasn't popped up since. Interesting theory about changing the channel to one with a strong signal before switching to PC. If it happens again, I'll try that.
post #23 of 1101 Old 01-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda10 View Post

Anyway, the biggest complaint is the stand. Its chunky and only swivels, no tilt or height adjustment. I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket stand but I may just suck it up.

I think I have a somewhat similar situation, so maybe somebody knows how I should proceed. I just got the LC2600N and one possibility is to have it in a cabinet with a sliding shelf. Unfortunately, with the stand it's just about an inch too tall to fit in the cabinet. Is it possible to put it on a slightly shorter stand, and if so where do you look for one, and how do you determine in advance if it's the right size? Actually, I had been planning to install an Omnimount FPCL articulating arm mount on the side of the cabinet and swing the TV in and out of the cabinet (never mind the sliding shelf), but maybe the alternative stand is the way to go. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Mark
post #24 of 1101 Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Does anyone have the length x width x height dimensions of the shipping box?

Any more comments on the good SD performance?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #25 of 1101 Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, the comment about using the Sony driver was awesome. I love the resolution more than forcing the resolution using power strip. I uninstalled powerstrip and AT handled it fine. Not "much" better, but still an improvement (powerstrip did a fine job, I just don't like a lot of unnecessary items loading in my system tray).

Cable man is coming on Monday so I can comment on SD after.

w/r/s to the mounting issue. I have a thought but I don't know if you'll go for it. Yes, there are aftermarket stands (very similar to LCD monitor stands) on places like mountsandmore.com However, could you get a wall mount and instead of mounting it on the wall of your cabinent, why not mount on shelf? It would be like mounting a tv on the wall and then have it point straight down.

I've been watching season one on lost and I'm so glad I got this tv. I'm watching more than my panny plasma (still not as good, almost). Not sure why there's not more being said about this tv on the forums or reviews. I know you think "HP" but wow, I am very pleasantly surprised.
post #26 of 1101 Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 AM

panda10,

Glad the Sony monitor idea helped.

Randy,

It's a good thing I saw your post before I cut up and tossed the box today ;-)

I got roughly 40in x 14in X 23in for the box.

As for SD performance. It's about what I expected. Strong channels look pretty good and weaker ones look adequate to poor.

One thing I have to investigate further is, when watching a channel I know is not HD (like The History Channel) sometimes the picture is stretched and fills the whole screen and sometimes not. I think it's the TV doing the stretching and if so, the stretch mode is awesome. I really can't tell it's stretched.

If anyone else has knows what's going on, I'd appreciate the info.
post #27 of 1101 Old 01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric View Post

Randy, It's a good thing I saw your post before I cut up and tossed the box today ;-)

I got roughly 40in x 14in X 23in for the box.

As for SD performance. It's about what I expected. Strong channels look pretty good and weaker ones look adequate to poor.

One thing I have to investigate further is, when watching a channel I know is not HD (like The History Channel) sometimes the picture is stretched and fills the whole screen and sometimes not. I think it's the TV doing the stretching and if so, the stretch mode is awesome. I really can't tell it's stretched.

Thank you for measuring the box for me - i now know that it'll fit in the back seat of my car so i can have J&R ship it to my workplace then just take it home after work.

I also bought an Omnimount CL-S articulated wall mount. I'm going to bolt a steel upright to the backside of the bedroom dresser then bolt the Omnimount to that. That's one way to get away from that gigantic ugly table stand

I have an older 20" Sharp LCD in that bedroom right now being fed with regular analog cable straight from the wall and almost all of my channels look good to very good so i expect this new HP will be the same or even better (i get a good clean cable feed). I'll be getting a Cablecard for this TV so i can see Speedchannel and my extended HD package.

About the stretching - i saw on Crutchfield's site that it has "Smart Stretch" so maybe that also automatically senses and stretches SD? I guess i'll see for myself in a week or two . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #28 of 1101 Old 01-29-2006, 12:22 PM

Hey Randy,

FWIW, the box fit in the back seat of my car (Audi A4, which is not known for its big back seat).

Oh and, I figured out the stretching thing. This is my first HDTV so I'm still figuring everything out. The menus on this TV change depending on the input signal so when I checked the Aspect menu on the DVI connection there were no choices but under the Cable input there are lots of choices, and I missed them.

It turns out the TV was set to stretch on the analog cable input but standard on the digital cable input. The stretch type is where it's leaving the center part of the picture intact but stretching the edges. It looks great to me.
post #29 of 1101 Old 01-29-2006, 04:45 PM

Something tells me that a bunch of people must have jumped on this increadible JandR deal.
Isn't it about time to start "The Official HP LC2600N/LC3200N/LC3700 thread"?
post #30 of 1101 Old 01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyru View Post

Something tells me that a bunch of people must have jumped on this incredible JandR deal.

This deal was too good to pass up. I had been wanting to get a 26" widescreen LCD w/Cablecard slot for my bedroom (to replace my old 20" Sharp 4:3 SD LCD) but i couldn't justify the much higher pricetag for the similarly equipped LG or this HP at other retailers. Now i'm glad i resisted buying one for the past few months - i would have paid several hundred more and been pissed. Like when Panasonic dropped the price of my plasma by $500 a few months after i paid more

It's going to be a long week waiting for this baby to arrive !

Quote:

Isn't it about time to start "The Official HP LC2600N/LC3200N/LC3700 thread"?

Maybe a mod can change this thread's subject title to that effect, and maybe trim the J&R and pricing talk (oops :-)

Randy
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page