Sharp LC-37D6U Lock Up Problems - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 397 Old 05-31-2006, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks CaptainCrunch. I will try that. They upgraded my firmware today and it did not do any change so I am open to any idea of solution. It is not one horizontal line but several ones. It does it more frequently with my DVD (Component cables) than my cablebox (S-Video). Neither device is HDTV.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 397 Old 05-31-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

RockStone,

Does the horizontal line make the picture or image look offset or like it's tore? I had a issue when watching DVD's thru compoenet and sometimes with analog cable hooked straight to the analog cable connection that made a horizontal line across the 1/4 or less of the screen where the image looked offset, and it was a come and go kind of issue thru out a DVD movie. I figured out it was the film mode option being enabled that was working against the progressive scan of the dvd player, after turning it off horizontal line issue was gone. I also made sure film mode was off for my cable input as well.

CaptinCrunch, I tried your solution and so far so good. I watched a movie, switching the Filmed Mode option between ON and OFF several times. Every time I turned it on the horizontal lines appeared after awhile. Not when I turned it off. At around the middle of the movie I left it to OFF, until the end of the movie. Never saw the horizontal lines. I'll have to test a little bit longer to see if this fixes the problem. If it did, thanks a lot. However should the fact that this setting is causing problems when turned on be considered a malfunction? Maybe I should ask Sharp directly...
post #273 of 397 Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
RockStone,

I found that film mode made no difference with the quality of picture using a progressive scan DVD player, so I just leave it off. If you have a non-progressive scan dvd player you may try hooking it up and watch a dvd with film mode on to see if the horizontal line appears.

You could ask Sharp but I dought you will get the answer your looking for. It could be a issue with the compoenet input, it could be a issue with film mode when using a progressive scan dvd player, or it could just be the film mode option itself not handeling 3:2 pull down like it should. Either way turning FM off fixes the issue when watching dvd movies.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #274 of 397 Old 06-01-2006, 05:19 PM

I have a Sharp Aquos Lc-37db5u and am having some odd issues. They are close to the issues with other models but not exactly. My problem is that when I am playing console games (component) or watching TV (cable analog) the set turns off automatically then turns back on.
This happens about 4 times then the set turns off completely and the 2 leds (Power, OTA) blink. I cannot turn the set on or off at this point. I have to unplug it and let it sit for about 5 minutes and turn it back on. Any ideas updates?
post #275 of 397 Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsw View Post

I have a Sharp Aquos Lc-37db5u and am having some odd issues. They are close to the issues with other models but not exactly. My problem is that when I am playing console games (component) or watching TV (cable analog) the set turns off automatically then turns back on.
This happens about 4 times then the set turns off completely and the 2 leds (Power, OTA) blink. I cannot turn the set on or off at this point. I have to unplug it and let it sit for about 5 minutes and turn it back on. Any ideas updates?

I had a 45" Aquos that did almost the same thing right after I received it where it stayed up for only about an hour and then would go into standby and then come out of standby and would do this for about five hours and then shut down completely. By the time the service center picked it up, it was only staying up for 5 minutes at a time. After replacing the main board 5 times, Sharp finally decided to replace the unit. I think the problem was that the power supply became unregulated (under voltage) but Sharp wouldn't take my advice and decided to replace the unit.
post #276 of 397 Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM

I've had the new firmware for about a month now with NO issues of powering on or off problems with my D6U. Maybe they got it right finally!
post #277 of 397 Old 06-11-2006, 05:42 PM

Hi new to the forum, but finding some good information.

I have a 32d6u aquos and for some reason it will not turn on. I have unplugged, reset, and reset system to no avail. When I plug power in it simple flashes the blue and yellow lights at me. PB doesn't work and getting alittle frustrated.

Lights flash like so:

Blue
Blue
Yellow
Blue
Yellow
Yellow

Any idea's? Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks in advance!
post #278 of 397 Old 06-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Has anybody applied updates themselves? Iam a busy guy and rarely have time to wait on a service guys.
post #279 of 397 Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

The units are updated by SD cards. There are two firmwares that have to be updated. It took my service tech about 5 or 6 mins and he was done. I think Sharp finally did put the update on its website, but I don't know if everyone can access it. I would suggest that you make an appt with your service company and hold them to a set time. If you are in the DFW area, I would recommend Rucker's TV in Fort Worth.
post #280 of 397 Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 AM

Does anybody have the updates or other infomation regarding the updates. Thanks for the info dr. bill, unfortunately Im not located in TX.
post #281 of 397 Old 06-20-2006, 08:19 AM

I had my upgrade about a month ago and it shut off the next day, however i haven't had any problems since, so i'm just going to assume that it was a electical issue.
post #282 of 397 Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Mike53,

Sharp Aquos LC32D4U. Purchased Dec 26 2005. Turns on oddly enough when the person goes out of town. Can you give me a list of the serial numbers that have this turning on issue due to the compacitor mix up or any other reason. No other issues besides turning on that I am aware of.

Michael
post #283 of 397 Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael aqua View Post

Mike53,

Sharp Aquos LC32D4U. Purchased Dec 26 2005. Turns on oddly enough when the person goes out of town. Can you give me a list of the serial numbers that have this turning on issue due to the compacitor mix up or any other reason. No other issues besides turning on that I am aware of.

Michael

Michael,

The problems are related to the D4/6U models them selves and not to a specific serial number. Any D4/6U produced before April 1, 2006 will most likely have the problems of self power on/off and lock ups. The Firmware fix 1.12 main and 1.04 monitor version that corrected those issues did not get released till April 1, so that firmware should have made it's way into all new unit produced since then.

You will need to call Sharp at 1-800-237-4277 and open a case # to get the firmware fix install by your local Sharp repair center.

Good Luck,

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #284 of 397 Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdsw View Post

Does anybody have the updates or other infomation regarding the updates. Thanks for the info dr. bill, unfortunately Im not located in TX.

Read thru the entire thread to get a history of the problems related to the D4/6U models and the Firmware fix that corrected them.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #285 of 397 Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtyme View Post

I had my upgrade about a month ago and it shut off the next day, however i haven't had any problems since, so i'm just going to assume that it was a electical issue.

It's been almost 3 months since I recieved the firmware fix, and I haven't had a single problem with my 37D6U since then.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #286 of 397 Old 07-20-2006, 04:40 PM

I took my Aquos 32D4U to the local service center last week due to some display issues, but I've also had the occasional power-on/off problem in the past as well. They told me that the "lcd control unit" needed replacing, so I'm curious to know if this part is related to the new firmware at all. Would a new unit come with the corrected firmware? Does one have anything to do with the other?
post #287 of 397 Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 PM

^maybe the afternoon crowd can help?
post #288 of 397 Old 07-24-2006, 06:48 AM

rodandtodd,

The display issues you are having may be due the the "LCD control unit", but the off/on issue would be firmware related which is a different issue from the stated problem.

have the latest firmware installed by service tech while you have your unit in the shop.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #289 of 397 Old 07-24-2006, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
I have been out most of the summer and just checking in with an update. It has been two months now since my firmware update and not a single problem. Captin, it looks like it is a fix. Hey, I am looking for a DVD recorder with a HDD. Anyone have some opinions as to brand and model? Thanks
post #290 of 397 Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Just wanted to chime in. I got LC-26D4U today via Amazon. Was manufactured March 2006 (serial starts 603). About 30 minutes after plugging in, it started to turn off and on by itself. Remote locked up. Power and OPC buttons started flashing and power turned off permanently with unit fully unresponsive.

Called Sharp and was instructed to do a factory reset. Problem has not re-occured but I found instructions to access service menu at this thread (thank you for posting!). Firmware versions installed are 1.11 and 1.03. Should I call back and insist that they have the versions upgraded to 1.12/1.04? Do I have to bring the tv in, or will they send out a tech to upgrade firmware here? Thanks
post #291 of 397 Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure if the D4U uses the same firmware as the D6U. You will need to ask Sharp if there are any updates for your TV.
post #292 of 397 Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehypercube View Post

Just wanted to chime in. I got LC-26D4U today via Amazon. Was manufactured March 2006 (serial starts 603). About 30 minutes after plugging in, it started to turn off and on by itself. Remote locked up. Power and OPC buttons started flashing and power turned off permanently with unit fully unresponsive.

Called Sharp and was instructed to do a factory reset. Problem has not re-occured but I found instructions to access service menu at this thread (thank you for posting!). Firmware versions installed are 1.11 and 1.03. Should I call back and insist that they have the versions upgraded to 1.12/1.04? Do I have to bring the tv in, or will they send out a tech to upgrade firmware here? Thanks

To answer yours and Bill's quistion, yes the D4U and D6U use the same firmware. I would call Sharp and ask to have the newer firmware install (1.12 and 1.04) for sure, that will solve your problems.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #293 of 397 Old 07-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

To answer yours and Bill's quistion, yes the D4U and D6U use the same firmware. I would call Sharp and ask to have the newer firmware install (1.12 and 1.04) for sure, that will solve your problems.

Thank you Captin. Just called Sharp and having firmware upgraded. Anybody dealt with Art's TV in San Francisco for the firmware upgrade?
post #294 of 397 Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

I would get the names of two or three repair centers in your area from Sharp. Call and see which ones have done the update or even seem to have a clue what is going on. I would also verify the versions of the firmware that they are bringing before they come out. There was a previous version that did not work.
post #295 of 397 Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 AM

Hey thehypercube, looks like you are in SF and heading to Art's on 32rd and Taraval for the upgrade. I dealt with them before, but not a lcd tv though. Let me know how it goes.

Quote:

Thank you Captin. Just called Sharp and having firmware upgraded. Anybody dealt with Art's TV in San Francisco for the firmware upgrade?

post #296 of 397 Old 07-29-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfdfs2 View Post

Hey thehypercube, looks like you are in SF and heading to Art's on 32rd and Taraval for the upgrade. I dealt with them before, but not a lcd tv though. Let me know how it goes.

Well I read the reviews on CityBeat, Yelp, etc and it was looking dismal. A call to Sharp only found alternative shops in Oakland, San Jose, and Dublin.

I called Art's and told them the problem. They requested a faxed receipt listing serial #, contact #, etc. They called me back that same evening to schedule service. I made sure to get the guy's name and I got him to promise me to get the TV back the same day if I got it to them when they opened in the morning.

Of course I showed up this morning and the guy I spoke with on the phone wasn't there. I asked how long and they told me Monday at soonest. I made sure to let them know about the promise that the guy I spoke with on the phone made. The senior guy there heard me and chimed in "OK OK I'll try to get it done today. I'll call you"

I left thinking there's no way I'll see this by the end of the day. It sounded like he just wanted me out of his hair. Lo and behold I got a call at 5pm to come pick it up. Although dealing with them personally was not the greatest, I can't complain about same day service and a TV that (knock on wood) works properly now.

I actually haven't gone back into the service menu to make sure of the firmware versions, but I hope they wouldn't be that lazy.

What was your experience there?
post #297 of 397 Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 PM

My experience with them was so so, not the greatest, but the fastest service. The last time i was there, about 2 years ago was for a replacement of the lcd panels. They said it will take about a week (panels on order). Sure enough, i got it back in a week. The projector has been working flawless since.

Quote:

Well I read the reviews on CityBeat, Yelp, etc and it was looking dismal. A call to Sharp only found alternative shops in Oakland, San Jose, and Dublin.

I called Art's and told them the problem. They requested a faxed receipt listing serial #, contact #, etc. They called me back that same evening to schedule service. I made sure to get the guy's name and I got him to promise me to get the TV back the same day if I got it to them when they opened in the morning.

Of course I showed up this morning and the guy I spoke with on the phone wasn't there. I asked how long and they told me Monday at soonest. I made sure to let them know about the promise that the guy I spoke with on the phone made. The senior guy there heard me and chimed in "OK OK I'll try to get it done today. I'll call you"

I left thinking there's no way I'll see this by the end of the day. It sounded like he just wanted me out of his hair. Lo and behold I got a call at 5pm to come pick it up. Although dealing with them personally was not the greatest, I can't complain about same day service and a TV that (knock on wood) works properly now.

I actually haven't gone back into the service menu to make sure of the firmware versions, but I hope they wouldn't be that lazy.

What was your experience there?

post #298 of 397 Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually the guy could have done the upgrade while you were standing there. It takes all of 3-4 minutes and would have saved you a return trip. You should go into the menu and verify which firmware versions you are running.
post #299 of 397 Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. BILL View Post

Actually the guy could have done the upgrade while you were standing there. It takes all of 3-4 minutes and would have saved you a return trip. You should go into the menu and verify which firmware versions you are running.

I thought this might be the case as I've done plenty of firmware upgrades with computers and musical instruments, but I am unfamiliar with TVs so didn't want to make assumptions. I went into the service menu and verify that i have 1.12 and 1.04. Everything has been working great. It's all behind me now and honestly I'm most disappointed that Sharp shipped me a TV in late July that had known issue which was fixed in April.
post #300 of 397 Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Liked: 11
I have a Sharp LC-32D6U; Motorolla cable card provided by Comcast; latest (as of today) firmware; and a system that locks up when using the "List" feature. I showed this to the technician after the firmware was upgraded and she said, "definitely not a TV problem. Contact the cable company." :-)

I can get this to lock up very predictably by:
  1. Press 'List' on the remote
  2. Use the right arrow to scroll to the 900's
  3. When at the end, keep using the right-arrow

The system will lock up.

Note that while displaying the channel list it'll occasionally show "no service" or something like that but the list comes back.

Any one else have this problem? Any one solve it?

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Harmon Kardon AVR 230
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page