post #91 of 399 Old 03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post

Goog Job Gary, I posted at the above thread link everything I could about the known problems of the Sharp Aquos *D4/5/6/7U Models, and posted a link to this thread.

I think you are muddling the issue by mixing the xxD5U and xxD7U models in with the issues you are having with the D4U and D6U. They are from 2 different generations. There is a reference in the ecoustics link posted about a xxDB5U, but I don't think that is the same generation as the D5U and D7U. Not that the D5U and D7U are bug free, but it will sound less like hyperbole if you stick to the xxD4U and xxD6U models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 399 Old 03-04-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSD View Post

I think you are muddling the issue by mixing the xxD5U and xxD7U models in with the issues you are having with the D4U and D6U. They are from 2 different generations. There is a reference in the ecoustics link posted about a xxDB5U, but I don't think that is the same generation as the D5U and D7U. Not that the D5U and D7U are bug free, but it will sound less like hyperbole if you stick to the xxD4U and xxD6U models.

I agree with this statement! I have the 37d5u and the only problem I've had I was losing one hd channel with a ota and solved it with a 10db ASKA booster. Was to low of signal, not the tuners problem. And for squawk calling the tv guide a complete piece of crap its simply not true. I'm using it with a cablecard and it works like a champ. The tv guide is quite a nice feature.

These are just my opinions.
post #93 of 399 Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM

My brother has his 37D4U connected to Adelphia Cable through a Cablecard. He has no OTA antenna. There is a Samsung DVD player connected through the HDMI port. The set turned itself on in the middle of the night with full sound volume while I was there last week. Scared everyone and sent the cats berserk!

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #94 of 399 Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I agree about not including the D5 and D7 series sets. However, that article does mention at least 3 issues on D4 sets.

Gary
post #95 of 399 Old 03-05-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
This appears to be much more prevalent with those using OTA HD or hookups like that. My component cable connection to my Time Warner box has had no such issues and neither has my friends LC37D4U. He has the same hookup as me.

Not saying that Sharp shouldnt get right on it, but it does appear to be something with Cablecards or OTA HD....

My 2 cents....
post #96 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 05:15 AM

UPDATE:

The new 37D6U hasn't locked up yet, but the channel display popped up randomly while watching Comedy Central on analog cable and the Academy Awards on OTA HDTV. It's not a major problem, but when you pay nearly $3000 for a TV, random stuff shouldn't pop up on the screen unless you're messin with the remote.

Gary
post #97 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VgRt6 View Post

UPDATE:

but the channel display popped up randomly while watching Comedy Central on analog cable and the Academy Awards on OTA HDTV. It's not a major problem, but when you pay nearly $300 for a TV, random stuff shouldn't pop up on the screen unless you're messin with the remote.

Gary

When the blue display box pops up has been discussed quite a bit in other threads. Its a source problem. Theres something with your system that is changing audio from like stereo to surround or something else like this. Or your cable company's audio is changing? When it pops up look at audio and see if the audio is changing from each time it pops up. I'll bet you have a VCR hooked up to it? How are you hooked up? Too bad the blue box can't be turned off, but then somebody would complain about why it can be turned off.

post #98 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

When the blue display box pops up has been discussed quite a bit in other threads. Its a source problem. Theres something with your system that is changing audio from like stereo to surround or something else like this. When it pops up look at audio and see if the audio is changing from each time it pops up. I'll bet you have a VCR hooked up to it? How are you hooked up? Too bad the blue box can't be turned off, but then somebody would complain about why it can be turned off.

Only analog cable and OTA digital feeds are hooked up. Nothing else.

Gary
post #99 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Your cable company's audio could be changing making the blue box pop up. Owning this tv since August (lc-37d5u) I've learned why the blue box pops up, and its not the tv's fault. Its a source problem IMO. You can find lots of discussions on this subject.
Do a forum search for the thread "Sharp lc37d5u problems" I believe you'll find an answer. Maybe not enough signal from your cable company?

post #100 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Captin,
When you told Sharp that the firmware fix wasn't a fix, what were their thoughts and what do you recommend for the others of us with the problems?
post #101 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Your cable company's audio could be changing making the blue box pop up. Owning this tv since August (lc-37d5u) I've learned why the blue box pops up, and its not the tv's fault. Its a source problem IMO. You can find lots of discussions on this subject.

I see it as a possibility, but I find it strange that it did it on two completely independent and different format feeds in such close temporal proximity (within a couple of minutes). IMO, that points to the set rather the feeds.

Gary
post #102 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 AM

I own two 26" LC-26D4U's. Both were bought at the same time (late December 2005), and both have power issues. In quick start-up mode, one of them turns itself on in the middle of the night. In slow start-up mode, both of them will "lock up" with the blue light and I have to unplug and re-plug-in the TV to make it turn on. I brought them both in for service a few weeks ago and have talked with the technician at the service center. He said that the firmware update did not work for another customer and that the most recent reccomendation from Sharp was to replace the "board" on the TV. Sharp will be sending those boards to him to replace. He did not specify which board. I assume if the issue is the result of a capacitor, then a board replacement (assuming the capacitor is on the replaced board) should fix the issue. I will post any updates as I get them.

I should note that my set-up is Comcast Digital Cable w/ the Comcast Digital Cable Card for Hi-Def and expanded channels.
post #103 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey Guy's,

Let me answer some of the questions here.

1. About the D5/7U models being included? Even though the bulk of the problems with the set's turning them selves on or locking up are related to the D4/6U models, I have run across several post in different forums about the same problems with the D5/7U, granted not as many as the D4/6U but still the same issue (locking up). They are NOT different generations, as there is only about 5 or 6 months difference in production so they all share much of the same internal components. About the only things that made them different was a newer panel and cosmetic design.

2. Since Thursday night I have had no problems with the set locking up or turning itself on. However, I also have not watched a great deal of tv this weekend either. I did watch a few DVD's and the Academy Awards last night, which looked outstanding in HD. I also have made sure not to leave my tv set on 5.1 when I go to bed either.

3. Sharp has called me back and pretty much ask me the same question as before, and I pretty much gave them the same answers. They wanted to know about the problems, what I have connected to the set, last time anything happened, where I purchased the set, and date.

4. What can you do? First thing I would do is have the NEW firmware installed! It can't hurt, and it might help some of the issues you have. We all have different setups and what might not work for me may be the fix for you.

Note, on which station or channel does your set freeze up on (EVERY SINGLE TIME) find a patteren. (For me it seem to be NBC digital 5.1) if it's more than one channel make a list.

Note, On which channel was your set left on when it turned itself on, and note the time AM/PM (EVERY SINGLE TIME) find the patteren. ( For me it's always NBC digital 5.1 in the AM, between 12 and 3am)

Note your setup, do you have Cable, Dish, OTA Digital, or Analog? What do you have connected to your set? DVD, VCR, DVR, STB, is your set connectd to a digital reciever for audio?

Where did you purchase your set? Date? Sharp will ask some of these questions but the more info you can give them on when, why, and how your set screws up will help them solve our issues with these set's.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #104 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me answer some of the questions here.

1. About the D5/7U models being included? Even though the bulk of the problems with the set's turning them selves on or locking up are related to the D4/6U models, I have run across several post in different forums about the same problems with the D5/7U, granted not as many as the D4/6U but still the same issue (locking up). They are NOT different generations, as there is only about 5 or 6 months difference in production so they all share much of the same internal components. About the only things that made them different was a newer panel and cosmetic design.

First off, I sympathize with the issues you're having. However, I still think the
D5U/D7U are different enough from the D4U/D6U that you might want to keep
them separate. It's my understanding that the D4U/D6U use a different chipset
than the D5U/D7U based on this post from Mike53. The clue is that the D4U/D6U
do not have the Color Management System (CMS).

I had the sound of the D7U come on one time when the set was off, and I think
I've read one or two other instances on this forum about that, but it had to do
with the Power Mode being set to Mode 2. I set it back to the default of Mode 1
(per instructions from a Sharp CS) and it never happened again. This might be
related to your issue, but I don't see it as being the same thing because you are
using Mode 1. Apparently TVGOS and Mode 2 do not play well together.
post #105 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:

First off, I sympathize with the issues you're having. However, I still think the
D5U/D7U are different enough from the D4U/D6U that you might want to keep
them separate. It's my understanding that the D4U/D6U use a different chipset
than the D5U/D7U based on this post from Mike53. The clue is that the D4U/D6U
do not have the Color Management System (CMS).

I had the sound of the D7U come on one time when the set was off, and I think
I've read one or two other instances on this forum about that, but it had to do
with the Power Mode being set to Mode 2. I set it back to the default of Mode 1
(per instructions from a Sharp CS) and it never happened again. This might be
related to your issue, but I don't see it as being the same thing because you are
using Mode 1. Apparently TVGOS and Mode 2 do not play well together.

I do understand about trying not to lump the D5/7U models into the same pot with the D4/6U models, I really wasn't trying to, but the fact that some of them had the lock up issue is a case for concern.

As for the chipset idea, I really don't know. It was my understanding that the NEW Trident chipset went into the 65D90U only for the 2005 models and then ALL 2006 models i.e..D40U and D90U models. I guess I could ask Sharp Tech support when they call me back.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #106 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 04:55 PM

Hi Dr. Bill, Capn, Mike and others

Sorry if this is a dumb question and has been answered here or in other threads but is this issue ONLY with over the air transmissions? I have my heart set on lc-37d6u but I'll be using it with Comcast cable through a DVR and using HDMI cable. Will I be affected by this?

Thanks in advance
post #107 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM

No, I never received over the air (OTA) signals and still had the problems with BOTH of my 26" sharp aquos LCD HDTV's.
post #108 of 399 Old 03-06-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:

I set it back to the default of Mode 1
(per instructions from a Sharp CS) and it never happened again.

IMHO, avoiding the use of Mode 1 is NOT a solution. If the TV allows you to use Mode 1 for startup, then it should work in all situations and configurations. It's like the Toyota dealership telling you that you can't use your remote keyless entry system if you want to avoid stalling in the middle of an intersection.
post #109 of 399 Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 PM

My new 37D6U did the thing where the picture turns off for 5-10 secs or so and then comes back on. The original 37D6U did the same thing a number of times.

This keeps getting better and better. The new set has the same 90-day defect warranty that the original set did. Since there's 85 days left in the warranty, I'm going to keep it until near the near the end, monitor the problems and then have it exchanged for a new 37D90U. I was originally planning on exchanging it for the new 37D40U, but recently saw a pic of it and am not liking it. It's got a strange bloated look to it IMO.

Gary
post #110 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 04:39 AM

I found out after I wrote this that when the screen kicked out for the 5-10 secs, it reset all of my user picture settings (backlight, contrast, color, tint, etc) to the factory settings. That screams of a power issue to me. The blue power indicator light never went off when the screen kicked out, but the TV behaved like the power was disconnected for a length of time.

Gary
post #111 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 05:51 AM

While changing channels with the favs button last night my set would go to 8.1 then change to 9.1 (not a station) then I went to 11.1 and it switch to 19.1 (not a station), so I deceided I would re-scan my channels and the set locked up accessing the menu, I had to unplug it and plug it back in. (WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS)

Gary,

My set has done that before, it's like it's rebooted itself, but it nevered changed the settings for each of my view modes. I have seen computers do that as well which is a sign of a software problem most of the time. Two different software programs that work against each other can cause the system to just shut down and reboot.

Just for fun call Sharp and tell them you are now on your 3rd 37D6U and it has issues just like all the others you had!! This is just getting out of hand with problem set's for a leading LCD Co.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #112 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

You guys want to know something sad and ironic. I had told my brother that I really liked the picture quality on my 37 inch D6U several weeks ago, so he told me yesterday that he just went and bought TWO D6Us!!!! I said oh crap, did I not tell you what was going on?!!
You should have seen his face when I told him to take them back and not to dare open them.
post #113 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 AM

Looks like ive been hanging out on the wrong thread ... thanks for bringing this thread to my attention Captain. However the bad news that the firmware didnt work is disappointing.

I have a 37D4U ... since 9/22/05 (from circuit city) and Started having the spontaneous turn on/off and lock up issue 12/26/05
Since then the service guys have only done industrial resets on the TV ... Waiting for my firmware upgrade on wed 15th

Info:
Main version 1.03 (U 2005/08/12 1)
Monitor version 1.01
Connections - OTA antenna / s-video to Dish network receiver / component to DVD player / no audio equipment

Tv turns itself on at night when left on both OTA HD or dish receiver (either it wakes me up or I come down in the morning to see the Dish network screen saver)
Tv turnes off and on and locks up while watching OTA HD, Dish and even DVD movies
Unfortunately not seeing any pattern at all.
post #114 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 AM

FYI:

The New firmware upgrade versions as of 02/27/05

Monitor Version. 1.03
Main Version. 1.09

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #115 of 399 Old 03-08-2006, 03:51 PM

I finally convinced the company that sold me my two 26" Sharp Aquos LCD's in late December to take them as returns. Because I need an lcd with a Cable Card, I had to go Sony XBR... a bit more expensive, but if I don't encounter problems like I did with the Aquos, then it's well worth it. I wish everyone luck resolving this issue! Cheers.
post #116 of 399 Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 AM

Well I just had people from the local service company (which Sharp pointed me to) look at the TV. They didn't know anything and wanted take the TV. I thought this was in house repair? I don't have a replacement TV so screw that. Anyone know of a good place in South Florida?
post #117 of 399 Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazar View Post

Well I just had people from the local service company (which Sharp pointed me to) look at the TV. They didn't know anything and wanted take the TV. I thought this was in house repair? I don't have a replacement TV so screw that. Anyone know of a good place in South Florida?

Jazar,

Have Sharp E-mail you a list of local Sharp repair centers. As far as getting the latest firmware installed that shoud be done in home. If your in need of any other compoenets replaced that would be done from the shop, and make sure you tell Sharp that your requesting a replacement unit while your's is being fixed. After all the problems with the set are no fault of yours, and Sharp is aware that the issues with the set is their's.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #118 of 399 Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 AM

Well my D6U turned itself on again last night or should I say early this morning around 2:30am, and for a first time it did on a channel other than digital 5.1. The crazy thing is that is has been 1 full week and 30min since it did it last.

I think it's time for Sharp to just replace my set with it's NEW 37D40U, and hope the NEW models don't share the same problems as the late 05' models.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #119 of 399 Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Well my D6U turned itself on again last night or should I say early this morning around 2:30am, and for a first time it did on a channel other than digital 5.1. The crazy thing is that is has been 1 full week and 30min since it did it last.

I think it's time for Sharp to just replace my set with it's NEW 37D40U, and hope the NEW models don't share the same problems as the late 05' models.

Well Damn, the D40U won't fit my Armoire, it's to wide at 37.25". I can only go with 36.5" wide, so I guess I will have to hold out for the D90U.

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_do..._Line_0206.pdf

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #120 of 399 Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 PM

CaptinCrunch,

My 37D6U in our bedrood also turned itself on at 12:30 AM last night. It scared my wife to death. It's happend a few times before during the day or evening, but a first during the night.

I also have the problem that nothing other than this set (or possibly a Toshiba) will fit in our armoire. I hope Sharp comes up with a fix that works.

Chuck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page