Sharp LC-37D6U Lock Up Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a Sharp LC-37D6U for 6 weeks and really enjoy it, but 4 days ago it started locking up and would actually "freeze". It would not respond to the controller or even the buttons on the unit itself. I had to unplug the unit to reset it. It now does this several times a day. I tried the reset button and the other comments on an earlier forum without good results.

I called Sharp and they told me that they would send out a local tech with some new just released firmware fix. Has anyone tried this fix yet and what were the results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Dr Bill,

Please let us Sharp owners know if the new firmware works!! If you know what version the fireware is please post that as well!!

I have the same LC-37D6U set with the same issues and this is my 2nd set in the last 34 days to have this problem!!

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
Klipsch RB-51 II (Front Preference)
SVS PB-2000
post #3 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 07:10 AM

ATTN: Mike53 The Sharp Guy, whats your thought in this matter?

Seems this is a issue with ALL Sharp D6U & D4U models!! Is it a Firmware issue OR is it poor "QC" by Sharp??

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #4 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sH32xxx View Post

Hi folks,

Well, my LC-32D4U started locking up again - the "service reset" didn't solve the problem. Neither did buying a signal attenuator, which I saw recommended in a related thread.

Sharp sent a service tech to my house, and it turns out I need a new "digital PCB", which I assumed meant "digital printed circuit board". Since my 30 days after purchase wasn't up, I decided to return the TV to Sears where I purchased it, and exchange it for another one (same exact model). The tech, who didn't usually work on Sharp products, thought that may be the best way to go.

I got the new TV home, unboxed it, set it up, and after 2 hours, the EXACT SAME LOCKUP problem started occurring. Clearly, this lockup problem is a known problem for them. So I called up SHARP, and chewed them out. They sent a service technician from a firm that works mostly on SHARPs. In three days! This time, the tech arrived WITH the replacement board, which is:

DUNTKD331FE13 digital unit (I hope I got part number right).

After this board was replaced, the set works perfectly. I waited a few weeks since my last post to make sure this wasn't a fluke, that the problem was really fixed. YEP!

I talked to the service tech about the problem, and he mentioned that the replacement board was in stock at the local distribution center. You can draw your own conclusion from this fact.

My advice: DON'T wait - get sharp to come out and replace this board if you're having the lockup problem. You'll be thrilled you did.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #5 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sH32xxx View Post

well, my LC-324DU again started locking up again last night. Back to sears it goes.

Don't bother with Sharp AQUOS; clearly there is something majorly wrong with them which the manufacturer doesn't have a handle on.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #6 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 07:18 AM

Sharp Lockup Threads

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=37D6U

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=37D6U

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #7 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Captin, I am in FTW and my set locks up on 5.1 big time, never on the other off air HDTV broadcasts. I checked the signal strength and it is all over the map, several times drops to zero. It is constantly breaking up the audio and video feeds. You seem to have 5.1 and 5.2 problems according to your postings. I called and left a message with the engineer's office and we he did not call me back, I left one the next day with the GM telling him to check his equipment. The signal during the olympics was much more consistent and my set did not lock up at all this weekend and it was on 5.1 most of the time with Daytona and the olympics. Rucker's is coming out Weds to install the firmware, hope it works.
post #8 of 399 Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Bill,

Yes 5.1 and 5.2 seem to be cause of most of my lockups, Had NO issues at all on Sunday as I watch NBC just about all day. The odd thing is that since NBC started it's broadcast of the Olympics it has been quite bad with sound and video cutting out. Signal Strenght has been for the most part in the upper 70's to mid 80's for me, I live in Kennedale which is about 17 miles from Ceder Hill (Tower Hill) and all OTA digital channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, UPN, and WB) have very good signals mid 70's or higher.

I hope your Firmware upgrade works, if it does I will call Sharp and request a firmware upgrade for my set. The version I have now is 1.06. If you can please find out what version your getting and let me know.

Thanks,

P.S. Where did you purchase your set?? I got mine from Fry's in Arlington.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #9 of 399 Old 02-21-2006, 04:32 AM

My 37-D6U has locked up once as well, but the circumstances are slightly different (and may help identify what's going on). The TV was on and an analog cable channel was being displayed. I was in the process of mounting my OTA HDTV antenna and unplugged the OTA antenna cable from the digital air jack on the back of the TV. This caused the TV to lock up completely - neither the controls on the remote nor the TV would work and the set needed to be unplugged.

What has me more concerned is that the set has turned itself ON four times now. One time was in the middle of the night. I came downstairs as I was leaving for work and the TV was on. I would have figured I had just forgotten to turn it off the night before if I hadn't actually seen it turn on the other three times. The store I bought the TV from is exchanging the TV no questions asked (90-day defective warranty). I'm almost hoping that the new one has similar problems so that they'll have to give me one of the new Sharp models instead. I loe the TV, but knowing this happened to the first one will always have me worrying that it will happen with the replacement eventually ... and long after the warranty is expired.

Gary
post #10 of 399 Old 02-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VgRt6 View Post

My 37-D6U has locked up once as well, but the circumstances are slightly different (and may help identify what's going on). The TV was on and an analog cable channel was being displayed. I was in the process of mounting my OTA HDTV antenna and unplugged the OTA antenna cable from the digital air jack on the back of the TV. This caused the TV to lock up completely - neither the controls on the remote nor the TV would work and the set needed to be unplugged.

What has me more concerned is that the set has turned itself ON four times now. One time was in the middle of the night. I came downstairs as I was leaving for work and the TV was on. I would have figured I had just forgotten to turn it off the night before if I hadn't actually seen it turn on the other three times. The store I bought the TV from is exchanging the TV no questions asked (90-day defective warranty). I'm almost hoping that the new one has similar problems so that they'll have to give me one of the new Sharp models instead. I loe the TV, but knowing this happened to the first one will always have me worrying that it will happen with the replacement eventually ... and long after the warranty is expired.

Gary

My first 37-D6U turned itself on just one time, and it was in the middle of the night as well, and it never did it again while I had it. I do know that it turned itself on after the lockup's started happing, and not before.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #11 of 399 Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

They turn on by themselves, that's nuts!!! I have not had that happen...yet. I do think some of my problem is the inconsistent signal from our local off air HDTV signals from the KXAS guys. After my two messages, the signal does not have anywhere near the fall off. The meter was all over the map last week when this crap started.
post #12 of 399 Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. BILL View Post

They turn on by themselves, that's nuts!!! I have not had that happen...yet. I do think some of my problem is the inconsistent signal from our local off air HDTV signals from the KXAS guys. After my two messages, the signal does not have anywhere near the fall off. The meter was all over the map last week when this crap started.

Makes you wonder how many people call the local stations and complain about the digital signal being broadcast? and how many complaints does it take before someone checks the signal and make a correction or really looks into it?

I've had NO problems with lockups on KXAS Digital 5.1 (NBC) or 5.2 (NBC Weather Plus) since Saturday. Last night the signal strenght was at it's highest I've seen (91) which is also the highest of all channels via the strenght meter.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #13 of 399 Old 02-22-2006, 06:39 AM

Well here we go again, last night my 37D6U turned itself on twice during the night 1.) 1:07am 2.) 2:50am, so I just unpluged it and went back to bed. Like I said before this is my second set and it does the same thing (first one did it 1 time before it was replaced).

So let's see if there is some pattern to this issue!

1. Either local station KXAS 5.1 (NBC) or NBC itself was having transmission problems again lastnight broadcasting the Olympic Games with the signal totally dropping, but NO lockups from it.

2. left tv on KXAS 5.1 and turned tv off and went to bed.

3. TV turned itself on twice durning the night, both times Olympic coverage was being broadcast.

4. First set was also left on KXAS 5.1 when it turned itself on. (durning the OLympics)

So tonight when I turn off the TV I will change the channel to 8.1 (ABC) and see what happens over night?

Any and ALL thoughts are welcome.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #14 of 399 Old 02-22-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

My firmware fix did not arrive today, so no install yet. It seems like when dealing with software, the company would put these patches on their website so that service companies could download the fix that they need and get the job done instead of waiting for snail mail to drop it off. Panasonic puts their firmware updates on the web. I still can't imagine a set turning itself on. Contact Crystal or Everett at Sharp and see what they say. If Mike the Sharp guy is out there, what are you thoughts on these problems?
post #15 of 399 Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:

My firmware fix did not arrive today, so no install yet. It seems like when dealing with software, the company would put these patches on their website so that service companies could download the fix that they need and get the job done instead of waiting for snail mail to drop it off. Panasonic puts their firmware updates on the web. I still can't imagine a set turning itself on. Contact Crystal or Everett at Sharp and see what they say. If Mike the Sharp guy is out there, what are you thoughts on these problems?

I agree, Sharp should post Firmware upgrades on their website for download, it would make thing so much easier, and may cut down on Tech support calls or at least makes thing easier to trouble shoot for them.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #16 of 399 Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Bill,

By any chance would your Firmware and Tech be coming from Ruckers Radio & TV in Ft Worth? I called Sharp and Ruckers was their offical Sharp Repair Location for my zipcode.

update:

I called Ruckers and talked to Mike who is the Sharp repair tech and he said that Sharp does have a firmware fix for the digital tuner lockup issue, how ever he had not received the firmware as of yet and did not know what other fixes this new firmware may address.

Mike said he has not heard any issues about the TV turning itself on out of the blue, and did not have any ideas on what may cause that to happen.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #17 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Sharp tried to send out a different company, but after speaking to them there was no way those idiots were coming out to my home. I asked for a list of warranty service companies and saw that Rucker was on there and I chose them. They have been around for years and have always been helpful.

I am at the end of my rope with this TV. The stupid thing came on in the middle of the night by itself!!! That is sooooo stupid that words do not describe. HOW can that happen, it is OFF!! I will give Sharp one shot at fixing it or back it goes. None of this crap started until after my 30 day return had passed, but that will not stop me from getting this taken care of one way or another.
post #18 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 06:49 AM

Bill,

What channel was your TV left on when you turned it off? (KXAS) I change channels to FOX before I turned the TV off lastnight, it did not turn itself on at all.

I will leave it on KXAS again tonight when I go to bed just to see what happens, and set it to ABC tomorrow night before going to bed.

If the turning itself on issue is related to the Digital turner lockups & reboots, then it may be channel related to KXAS NBC 5.1 where I have the most problems.

During the Olympics lastnight TV lockedup 1x and then rebooted with no futher problems. My thinking is that the Digital turner still see's a signal even after the TV has been turned off, so if the tuner locks up it may be rebooting itself there by turning itself back on. If you turn the TV off it shuts off, but if you unplug it right after you will here the tuner shut off, thats why I think the turning itself on issue is related to the tuner lockup issues.

What do you think?

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #19 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

The antenna may still see a signal, but the processor in the TV should not be "seeing" anything if it is turned off. There should not be anything powered up. This is some voodoo stuff man.
post #20 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:

The antenna may still see a signal, but the processor in the TV should not be "seeing" anything if it is turned off. There should not be anything powered up. This is some voodoo stuff man.

I know that the D7U with the TV Guide had to retain a signal after the TV was shut off to retain the TVGOS info. I heard that the D7U had issues and thats why Sharp dumped the TVGOS on the D6U & D4U models.

It may be that the D6U models are still using the same firmware as the D7U and thats whats causing our issues with this model

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #21 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just spoke to Larry at Sharp dispatch, Crystal was not at her desk. I asked him specifically about the firmware update and what is the patch supposed to fix. He said that it is called 1.15 version and is to correct the lockup problem as well as the sets turning on by themselves. The two symptoms are related to the same problem. I hope so. He also said that the problems are on the 26, 32, and 37 inch models. If this does not fix it, I am done.
post #22 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Ok, I just spoke to Larry at Sharp dispatch, Crystal was not at her desk. I asked him specifically about the firmware update and what is the patch supposed to fix. He said that it is called 1.15 version and is to correct the lockup problem as well as the sets turning on by themselves. The two symptoms are related to the same problem. I hope so. He also said that the problems are on the 26, 32, and 37 inch models. If this does not fix it, I am done.

Well I guess Larry at Sharp will receive a phone call from me as well.

I knew the 2 issues of locking up and turning itself on would be related. As a Network Admin I deal with software and hardware issues all day and trouble shooting is the name of the game around here. So until I get upgraded I will continue my quest of seeing just how these to issues are related and to see if I was on the right track with my Hypostasis.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #23 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Sharp Case # 2932118

I have been placed on the wait list for the Firmware 1.15 upgrade from Ruckers. Larry from Sharp disbatch said that this lockup and self turn on issue has just started over the past month or so with these unit models (D6U,D4U) and Sharp think it may be some type of virus in the digital feed thru the cable and OTA, because there hasn't been any issue with these models since they where released in late Sept-early Oct.

I wont give up my Sharp because it's a really nice TV and the HD is just sweet. Trust me I went thru a LG-32LX1D and a Panasonic LC-32LX50 before deciding on the Sharp 37D6U.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #24 of 399 Old 02-23-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds kinda weird to me. Do other manufactures have "virus" problems with digital broadcasts? That just seems to be far fetched. Are we going to have to have a virus update with firmware every few months so that my tv does not act pocessed? Maybe the nuts at Microsoft wrote Sharp's software for the D6U, it acts like it!!!
post #25 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 AM

I don't think the turning on issue has anything to do with the signal/broadcast input to the TV. Mine has turned on when there was no signal cable connected. It has turned on with only analog cable connected and turned off on different channels. It has also turned on with both analog cable and digital air connected and the TV turned off with both analog and digital channels on last.

It's probably related to a bug in the power supply design. I posted in another thread on here about problems with the D6U series. Someone else in there said their TV had turned on. He is an electrical engineer and said that in his opinion the power supply was a stupid design (or something to that effect).

On the brighter side for me, my B&M hasn't called me yet with the replacement for my TV (they had to order it). The TV was ordered 18 days ago. I guess it's possible that it could take that long to get one if there is a backorder, but I'm not aware of one. I'm hoping that they forgot. My complaints are on record within the B&Ms 90-day defective warranty, so if the D6U is not available shortly because the new models are out, then I'll be requesting one of the new models. That might fix these issues finally ... hopefully.

Gary
post #26 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Gary. My 30 day return period had just expired when this crap started. I am not sure of my options other than Sharp's warranty policy. What is the B&M 90 day defect policy and does it apply to all units?
post #27 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 07:08 AM

UPDATE:

Again, last night local NBC station KXAS 5.1 had signal issues with drop out's, it caused my set to reset twice during the Olympics and lockup once. So, when I went to bed I left it on KXAS NBC 5.1, and I be damned if the set didn't turn itself on not 20 min after I got in bed, I got up changed channels to WFAA ABC 8.1 turned off the set and had NO self turn on's the rest of the night.

I watch American Idol last night on FOX 4.1 with NO issues. When I went back to KXAS NBC 5.1, drop signal and the set rebooted itself.

So to recap this past week:

1) Tv does not lockup on any other digital station (FOX, CBS, ABC, PBS).

2) TV only turns itself on when left on KXAS NBC 5.1 after being turned off for the night. (TV stayed off when left on local ABC, FOX, CBS and PBS stations)

3) Local KXAS NBC 5.1 is the only station that causes the (202 error No Signal Received) Both Channel and Signal strenght meters read in the mid to upper 80's

I have tested a different station each night this week for all the issues listed above, I don't think this is a "virus" in the digital signal. ( I watch NO analog of any kind on this set, and have nothing hooked to the analog cable input. I have NO Cable or Dish service of any kind. Attenna I use is a large channel master located in the attic thats 2 years old, and have new coaxe cable running from it.

This is not a power supply issue, as the circuit from the PS to the PBC board is broken when the set is turned off. (My Home Theather system is connected to a APC Smart UPS 700) so I don't have to worry about power spikes and voltage drops. ( and yes I even tested with out UPS being connected) Now if the digital tuner still retains a power circuit even after the main circuit is cut off, then the tuner can still receive (or pull in) the signal from the attenna, and if the tunner can reset itself (reboot) when the unit is on, then it can also reboot itself with the unit off and make the TV turn on by itself.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #28 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 07:18 AM

VgRt6,

My latest D6U took 3 weeks to come in at Fry's after being ordered (from Jan 28 to Feb 17), and yes there is a back log on the D6U, and D4U's from Sharp of Mexico. I say Mexico because thats where they are assembled and shipped from.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
post #29 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FWIW Can you remember the issue with lock ups and the op solved with an antennuator? I have the lc-37d5u and I needed to put in a ASKA 10 db signal booster and it solved one channel I had from dropping out. I'd look in to this area either to much signal or to little. Now turning tv off wasn't the op's problem but his was locking up? Worth a try?

These are just my opinions.
post #30 of 399 Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Sounds kinda weird to me. Do other manufactures have "virus" problems with digital broadcasts? That just seems to be far fetched. Are we going to have to have a virus update with firmware every few months so that my tv does not act pocessed? Maybe the nuts at Microsoft wrote Sharp's software for the D6U, it acts like it!!!

If it was a "virus" it would not be related to any specific manufacture but more to the digital feed or source that would effect the set's digital tuners. Some tuners are more sensitive than others, and I have been told by Sharp dealers that Sharp tuners are very sensitive.

It could very well be that Sharp's tuners are sensitive to packet loss in the transmission thats causing problems. Maybe it's the mpeg coding of the signal that is causing the issue. But I do know me at least the issue revolves around KXAS NBC 5.1 for some reason.

Sony 55W900A
Sony S5100 Blu-ray
Yamaha Aventage A1030
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RS-52 II
SVS PB-2000
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page