Anyone ever hear of the Niko OTP-3211W 32" HDTV-LCD? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 217 Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know how to get the bars on the sides of 4:3 aspect tv to be BLACK? I'm using Component inputs from an HD cble box and non HD channels have GREY bars. not dark but 50% gray. I've futzed with setting to no avail. I am going to try digging thru every setting on the cable box but I assume its the tv because in between channels (right before the channel loads- 1 second break) I see the light grey.

Otherwise yea yea yea..a bit dark on the xbox 360 but almost every game has video gamma and brightness settings so relax. No ghosting when using component. Its s signal thing.
The hum I can almost guarantee is a ground loop. I moved the tv into my new apartment and found that it hummed like a 18 wheeler idling. I narrowed the cause to the coax coming into the building. Its not grounded here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 217 Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect the cable box is adding those gray bars. The only way to change their color would be via some setting on the cable box.
post #183 of 217 Old 12-12-2006, 05:05 PM

Merry Xmas, y'all.

The Olevia 342i is 42" big, has HDMI, and a contrast ratio of 1600 fer only a couple hundred bucks more than this POS.

Now close the damn thread, PLEASE!!!
post #184 of 217 Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaneg View Post

I'm using Component inputs from an HD cble box and non HD channels have GREY bars.

I'm using a Comcast HD DVR (Motorola DCT3412 I) with component cables. The sidebars are grey for HD channels in 4:3, black for standard def.
post #185 of 217 Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 PM

Does anyone know of any codes for the Comcast 3 device remote to control the tv? It would be nice to only use one remote for basic watching. Thanks.
post #186 of 217 Old 01-01-2007, 09:31 PM

----sorry, don't want to hijak the thread...
post #187 of 217 Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 AM

I purchased the 26 inch version of this TV back in June and have been quite pleased with it. However, I began encountering problems with it in November which have led me here...

There are some days the TV isn't used at all, but for the most part I would say it's used for about five or six hours a day on average. In November though, Gears of War came out (the TV is mostly used for Xbox 360) and I found myself playing marathon sessions of Gears for hours on end. One day I was playing the 360 for about 10 - 12 hours straight, and in the wee hours of the morning the brightness level of the screen suddenly went way down on me - to about 50%. It looked like my laptop on low power settings. I was concerned, stopped playing and went to sleep. Next morning the TV (same component input) was fine.

A couple of days later, the same thing happened again only this time after the brighness went down the input went to "NO SIGNAL." I switched the cables to the other component input and it showed perfectly, but at that point I had serious reservations about the quality of the TV, started telling myself the whole "You get what you pay for" mantra, and figured I would have to buy a new TV in the near future. That was back in November, and until two days ago I had no problems with the TV again and started to forget about them. Then a few days ago I found myself playing a little longer than usual again, and both component inputs showed NO SIGNAL. I had to switch the 360 over to composite to continue playing. The next morning, the component inputs were again fine.

I'm planning on calling NIKO tomorrow, but figure there is no harm in sharing my story here and asking some questions. I was wondering, is it possible that the component inputs are over heating from extended use, and then functioning normally again after they cool down? Or is this just an early sign of the inputs dying on me?

OverpricedCables - if you are still watching this thread, did you obtain warranty service for your unit? If not, you should still be within the 1 year warranty period....
post #188 of 217 Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy282 View Post

I purchased the 26 inch version of this TV back in June and have been quite pleased with it. However, I began encountering problems with it in November which have led me here...

There are some days the TV isn't used at all, but for the most part I would say it's used for about five or six hours a day on average. In November though, Gears of War came out (the TV is mostly used for Xbox 360) and I found myself playing marathon sessions of Gears for hours on end. One day I was playing the 360 for about 10 - 12 hours straight, and in the wee hours of the morning the brightness level of the screen suddenly went way down on me - to about 50%. It looked like my laptop on low power settings. I was concerned, stopped playing and went to sleep. Next morning the TV (same component input) was fine.

A couple of days later, the same thing happened again only this time after the brighness went down the input went to "NO SIGNAL." I switched the cables to the other component input and it showed perfectly, but at that point I had serious reservations about the quality of the TV, started telling myself the whole "You get what you pay for" mantra, and figured I would have to buy a new TV in the near future. That was back in November, and until two days ago I had no problems with the TV again and started to forget about them. Then a few days ago I found myself playing a little longer than usual again, and both component inputs showed NO SIGNAL. I had to switch the 360 over to composite to continue playing. The next morning, the component inputs were again fine.

I'm planning on calling NIKO tomorrow, but figure there is no harm in sharing my story here and asking some questions. I was wondering, is it possible that the component inputs are over heating from extended use, and then functioning normally again after they cool down? Or is this just an early sign of the inputs dying on me?

OverpricedCables - if you are still watching this thread, did you obtain warranty service for your unit? If not, you should still be within the 1 year warranty period....

Yeah, I hear ya man!

I'm also hearin' other people hollerin' about the same problems with this TV as you are.

We bought ours in May and started having problems in November juss like you did.

I wouldn't be HALF as pissed if the component inputs hadn't suddenly juss DIED on us like that!

When tryin' to use component input #1 or #2, it simply displays a blue screen that says either "NO SIGNAL" or "OUT OF RANGE".

We've tried pullin' all the cables out, turnin' the power off and everythin', (and you know what pain that can be) but to NO avail.

You actually had some luck with yers there cuz yer component inputs actually came back to life the next mornin'.

But the component inputs on our set are just fuggin' dead... FUGGIN' DEAD!!!

Look, I'm not even gonna mess around with this cheap POS no more.

Sendin' the TV back is juss a pain in the arse, and it's costly too.

And I doubt Niko would git ANYTHIN' fixed for us anytime soon.

Hell, I didn't even git my $100 rebate back like they promised; juss because I had it shipped to my friend's office address.

Even if we could git it fixed, HELL KNOWS what else might go kaput in yet another 6 months?

My only theory as to why it broke is prolly becuz we were usin' lots and lots of different hi-end cables and this TV simply couldn't handle it.

A good TV ain't supposed to juss break like that from normal everyday use.

This is CHEAP build quality, so I can't recommend it.
post #189 of 217 Old 03-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Im interested in the new version of this TV. There is a new thread on it. Please let me know if you have any input on the new NIKO SV3206.

Thank you.
post #190 of 217 Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 PM

I'm not quite sure if my DVI input has failed, or if this TV doesn't like some nVidia cards.
I rebuilt my system recently (old one had an AGP Radeon 9600 Pro,) and neither video card I've tried will get the display to work with DVI (I get blue 'no signal' screen.) The cards I've tried are a PNY Radeon 7600 GS, and an EVGA 7600 GT. I've tried both DVI outputs on the GT. After reading about failed inputs in this thread, I'm starting to think it may just be the DVI input died while messing with connections between the old and new computer. I can't really test the connection with the old computer, because I used the case and PSU for the new one (though I may try plugging the vid card into the motherboard just on a mat to try it out again.) As someone else mentioned, using the VGA input is problematic. In 1280x768 it usually works fine, but sometimes it looks blocky. In 1360x768 it almost always looks blocky, a couple of times it looked ok, but it had about a 1/2" wide black bar on the left edge of the screen. Anything past 1024x768 is a bit inconsistent. I'd really like to be able to use 1360x768 again, because that's true 16x9. Media Center has thin black bars across the top and bottom (24 pixels each I'm guessing) at 1280x768.
As for other issues, I've noticed the aspect ratio getting stuck on some channels as well (Jay Leno sticks on 4x3 for me, dunno about other NBC programs,) also when my PS2 is hooked up via component it sometimes hops around the aspect ratios randomly. I fould plugging the PS2 into Component 2 remedied this (though it's a bit less convenient.)
A plus I've noticed about this panel, that I don't know if it's common to all LCD's is that it plays PAL games fine.
post #191 of 217 Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm using VGA with a 6600GT on WinXP and Component with a radeon 9800 with MCE 2005...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrubol View Post

As someone else mentioned, using the VGA input is problematic. In 1280x768 it usually works fine, but sometimes it looks blocky.

Yeah, I got the blockiness in that res. occasionally with VGA. Just flip to another input and back again and it clears up.

Quote:

In 1360x768 it almost always looks blocky, a couple of times it looked ok, but it had about a 1/2" wide black bar on the left edge of the screen.

That's interesting. Using component out (radeon) 1360x768 looks great! I can't get it to work on the VGA though.

Quote:

As for other issues, I've noticed the aspect ratio getting stuck on some channels as well (Jay Leno sticks on 4x3 for me, dunno about other NBC programs,)

The only time I get a ratio stuck is on HD channels. They pick their own format and there's no way to change it...using component, anyway. I had it hooked up via DVI once, but I didn't like the output from the cable box in HDMI so I switched back to component.
post #192 of 217 Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM

I will have to try hooking the computer up via component. Maybe that will take care of getting 1360x768 to work until I get around to sending this back for warranty service.
post #193 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnfart View Post

Im interested in the new version of this TV. There is a new thread on it. Please let me know if you have any input on the new NIKO SV3206.

Thank you.

I'm looking at this model too...if anyone has any info/reviews on it, please help
post #194 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 PM

It is a great TV when it works.
post #195 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 PM

But mine stop working properly right after the warranty expired.
post #196 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM

It feels like they setup time bomb inside the TV
post #197 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM

I try to contact Niko but so far no one replies my email or answers my phone
post #198 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:04 PM

$800 for just over a year. This is the most expensive electronic I ever bought.
post #199 of 217 Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 PM

This is how my TV look like now

Can anyone help me solve my problem.

And sorry for the consective short post. I can not post image unless I have 5 posts.
post #200 of 217 Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM

I had this TV for exactly 1 year and 11 months. The screen is dead. It is out of warranty.

The screen just became blank, nothing shows up, no blue text, no menu. But the audio comes out fine, so the TV tuner is working. I guess either the LCD backlight is dead, or the inverter card is bad. (It might cost less to change the inverter card.) Anyone has similar problems?
post #201 of 217 Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM

Yes. That is what just happened to mine. I bought 2 HDTVs about the same time. One from Costco, and the other from Tiger Direct. This is the one that is currently lacking a warranty. I may just be S.O.L.

No response from NIKO.

Poop.
post #202 of 217 Old 05-01-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zride17 View Post

Yes. That is what just happened to mine. I bought 2 HDTVs about the same time. One from Costco, and the other from Tiger Direct. This is the one that is currently lacking a warranty. I may just be S.O.L.

No response from NIKO.

Poop.

You may already know this, but I just found out today that Niko is now part of Viewtek, and sent e-mail to their support. My tv looks just like jackcpsu's from time to time. Will let you know if there's any response.
post #203 of 217 Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Same issue is starting to occur with mine. The tv picture is beginning to look just like the photo above. I took it to my a local tv repairperson and he told me that the lcd circuit board is dying. Only problem is that he is not able to find any parts for it, he's called all of his suppliers and nobody has Niko parts. I called Viewtek, who took over Niko, and they said that they are no longer making parts for the OTP-3211W, but will gladly offer me a "special discount" on a new model. Wow, what a great deal! Bought this TV a year and a half, its now dead and you don't make parts, but I can buy a new one from your s**tty company!! Where do I sign up for that? I called buy.com, who I bought it from, obviously they can't do anything because it's out of warranty and I don't have an extended warranty. Didn't even offer me any sort of "coupon" or "deal" on anything new. I guess I'm screwed. Just be warned if you have this model and it's working well now, might want to regulate it to your guest room or keep it as some sort of backup so it doesn't die on you as quickly. I also logged a FTC consumer complaint as well.
post #204 of 217 Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM

My father bought this POS approx. a year and a half ago from Tiger Direct. After a year and a few months or so, it started shutting down. My father is an electronics guru and determined that after putting a couple of CPU heatsinks on the back of one of the aluminum heatsinks, it started working again. A few months later, the speakers stopped working, the audio out still works, and we plugged in some external speakers. He soon got tired of this junk and bought a new tv.

I tried to talk him into a nice Panny, Samsung, or something similar, but he really liked the price on this tv.

Has anyone ever found a source for parts?
post #205 of 217 Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Just a long-overdue update on my issue (as this thread seems to have been revived somewhat recently,) the DVI issue I had was not a failure, it was a compatibility problem.
My TV seems to dislike nVidia cards. I've run the TV on 3 different ATI cards now (9600 pro, x1300 and now 4850,) and it's worked great at 1360x768. On 2 similar nVidia cards (7600 GS and 7600 GT,) I got nothing at all through DVI at various different resolutions (VGA, 1280x720, 1024x768 and 1360x768.)
I guess mine is an exception to be still working right after over 2 years :P

One question, has anyone with this TV run it from an HDMI device with an HDMI->DVI adapter? I'm concerned that the encoded sound will screw it up, seeing as that's not part of the DVI spec.
My plan is to do HTPC (with HDMI audio of the 4850) to AVR to the display.
Thanks.
post #206 of 217 Old 09-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:

One question, has anyone with this TV run it from an HDMI device with an HDMI->DVI adapter? I'm concerned that the encoded sound will screw it up, seeing as that's not part of the DVI spec.
My plan is to do HTPC (with HDMI audio of the 4850) to AVR to the display.
Thanks.

I have being using a NIKO OTP 3211W with a DISH network 211 receiver. HDMI out of the 211 to a DVI adapter into the NIKO. The sound is thru the analog out puts of the 211 into the NIKO. Works fine.

I bought the NIKO from Tiger Direct in March of 2006. No problems yet.
post #207 of 217 Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Do not buy this LCD TV, I purchased through QVC 2 years ago, in less than 1 1/2 it started not working correct? Picture would come and go, at time it would not turn on at all.

Two years old and now it's dead, can you believe it had a 30 day warranty, which no one could find this out, no phone numbers in the manual. I called and was told to take it to a local dealer - no one wanted to look at it. Then I called yesterday and was told this model is obsolete, isn't that great news. I am now fighting with QVC and I am out 836.00. DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM IT IS JUNK, AND THEY DON'T STAND BY THERE PRODUCTS.
post #208 of 217 Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 AM

I know this is an old topic, but my Niko is about to be tossed out the door (for the second time in 3 years). Just after a year of owning the unit, the power supply went bad. I reluctantly had it replaced for $250 and it worked fine up until recently. Now the entire picture comes and goes and when this is happening the remote is totally unresponsive. Usually turning the power on and off will correct it, but I doubt it will last much longer.
post #209 of 217 Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM

I also know this is an old topic, but ran across it looking for the spec weight of this TV.

I've owned mine for over 3 years now its still going strong. Definitely love that I bought this TV when others of it's kind were 1400-1600 bones. (twice what I paid!) Yes, there are quirks. The IR sensor is kind of annoying and the auto scaling thing getting stuck can be annoying.

But I just wanted to jump in here and say that not everyone are having these issues.

Remember, for every 1 person who complains about a product on a forum, there are 20 more out there who have no issues at all. (people tend to only be vocal when things aren't going their way.)
post #210 of 217 Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM

I can second that ^

I got one in 2006 and it's still going strong. I actually just sold it to a friend of mine who uses it strictly for gaming. He loves it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page