The OFFICIAL Sony 26", 32", 40", and 46" S2000 Bravia LCD HDTV Thread... - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 882 Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40S 2000 (lcd tv - mfg 06') The power goes into standby which I know could be several things but my question is this....I'm into the set only $100 so far. Is there some pointers anyone can tell me to look for once I remove the case for a visual look see? Yup....(I gotta see before I chuck it) I don't want to invest another $100 to find out it's a $400 fix....any info would be great b4 I chuck it. (FYI-I am mech. inclined so I wont use info like an idiot.)
Also - Can you change your user name?? I type-o'd GanDspad instead of DanDspad.....no big Geal
Thx - Dan Rathburn
[/i]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 882 Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixOutsider View Post

After only 2 months, my KDL-40S2000 will not turn on and its standby light blinks 4 times. The repairman took the whole tv back to the shop because it may need a new lcd panel. He said that he is getting a lot of Sony lcd's returned for repair relative to other brands. BTW, I am in the NY area. Have other people heard this? What is the turnaround time for a repair shop to get parts from Sony? Please share your experiences with Sony service.

Thanks

Could ya let me know what happened with your Sony tv repair a few years back. (just had same problem see thread below)
I have a Sony Bravia KDL 40S 2000 (lcd tv - mfg 06') The power goes into standby which I know could be several things but my question is this....I'm into the set only $100 so far. Is there some pointers you can tell me to look for with the once I remove the case for a visual look see? I don't want to invest another $100 to find out it's a $400 fix....any info would be great b4 I chuck it. (FYI-I am mech. inclined so I wont use info like an idiot.) Thx - Dan Rathburn (916)912-3056 any hour is ok
dandspad@yahoo.com
post #873 of 882 Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM

I have a 32" Sony KDL-V32XBR2 whose power board has gone out due to our house wiring (long story, and getting longer). It died one week after my 1 year warranty and all of the Sony reps (I kept calling back) were (sorry for language) a**h***s. Said "tough", and one hung up on me in mid-sentence.

In between verbal abuses, I found out they wanted $90 for a new power board, which might or might not be the end of my problems. Almost always, when a power board goes out there is a surge that knocks something out on some other board or boards (which were like $160 up to $390 in price, or something like that -- more than the TV is worth today in working condition adding in power board and subtracting I'm doing the installs).

Yet, this is a good 720p monitor at 32", which has to be worth some cash or maybe value to me if I can run it off of an external receiver, driver, or using the internal driver board.

I'm an EE but I can't solder worth a poop and everything is SMT anyways (can't even see them they are so small), so hacking this thing into something else unless I can get some datasheets and three more 'scopes to see the clocking is not going to happen soon.

Ideas? Pop for the $90 and if that doesn't work use the board to run my fans in my computer? Seems a logical first step, but if no-go, then what? Sell for $90? Fly over Japan and drop the TV on Sony HQ?

And on a related but unrelated issue...

Is there a forum or thread or link where I can get some information about intercepting the digital receiver output to the RF Modulator (probably just a bus between two 2,000,000-pin ASICS and bring it right into my computer "as-is"? If I can nab it there, I can get a friend to write some C to let my computer take it and put it in a format I can save streaming or watch with a slight delay.

Using one very good variation on a helical antenna design I got from an ARRL book, I can use the 4 coupons from neighbors I have already and bypass the whole TV-Card thing. If I get a few more I can stream all channel info into Windows Media (I think) and make my own multicast DVR.

Hey, it's a good dream. If I can't do it I can find someone who can. Hardware hackers (I do stereo stuff mostly but need to get back into uprocessor-controlled) live for this kind of thing. I think we get a high off of it.

Oh, if this violates the byzantine Dig. Mill. Act, don't tell anyone. They'd have to arrest me for taking personally purchased hardware and using it for strictly personal use only. Knowing Sony, they'd have their lawyer send me a threatening letter or something...

This is one absolutely killer forum by the way. To the point, smart, and well-informed opinions with a smattering of gossip. Love it.

Thanks,

Shawn Harvey
sparkinark@yahoo.com
post #874 of 882 Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkinark View Post

Ideas? Pop for the $90 and if that doesn't work use the board to run my fans in my computer?

Maybe you could do the reverse. Maybe you could jumper a temporary external (computer?) power supply to the Sony to see if that will 'fix' it. Of course you need to know the voltage requirement and have access to a power supply that can provide the voltages. If this works you can spring for the $90 know that it will work.

George
post #875 of 882 Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM

When I hook up the HDMI from my cable box to the TV, the sound is great. When I hook HDMI from my DVD to TV, sound is terrible. Its very muffled, and I have to turn it way up to hear clearly. Is there a setting that I am missing? Thanks.
post #876 of 882 Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 AM

My cousin has this TV set and has the following issue: while watching cable TV (SD), two horizontal noise bars approximately 15cm thick travel from bottom to top of the TV. You can see this here (taken with digital camera):
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6713/p7280003.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9426/p7280004.jpg
On some channels this is more pronounced, on some less.
DVD displays just fine, no noise whatsoever.
I have connected the same cable TV connector (coaxial RF cable) to an old CRT TV and there were no noise bars there.
Any clues on how to get rid of it?
Thanks in advance.
post #877 of 882 Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduic View Post

My cousin has this TV set and has the following issue: while watching cable TV (SD), two horizontal noise bars approximately 15cm thick travel from bottom to top of the TV. You can see this here (taken with digital camera):
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6713/p7280003.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9426/p7280004.jpg
On some channels this is more pronounced, on some less.
DVD displays just fine, no noise whatsoever.
I have connected the same cable TV connector (coaxial RF cable) to an old CRT TV and there were no noise bars there.
Any clues on how to get rid of it?
Thanks in advance.

That is definitely noise and/or a weak signal. It's possible the old CRT is less sensitive to it. It could however be a problem with the coax connector on the TV.

Now, you mention DVD plays fine... How is the DVD plugged in? If it's on it's own video input then it's irrelevant.

If you have a VCR say or any other A/V device with a COAX output, then hook that up and test the device itself, ie play a tape. If you do not see the problem, then it's a signal on the coax line. If you still see the problem, then it's on the TV's analog tuner (could be a loose connector on the inside of the TV) and you'll need service.

Another thing... Do you have cable service? If so, leave the coax as it is, and switch to the digital input via the remote, and thru the menus, change the digital input to CABLE from antenna. Then do a scan and you might pick up the unencrypted QAM signals. If it's the connector on the TV, it will probably not pickup anything. If it's the analog tuner on the TV, well, then you could get service, or just watch the unencrypted QAM channels.

Hope this helps...
post #878 of 882 Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupojo View Post

When I hook up the HDMI from my cable box to the TV, the sound is great. When I hook HDMI from my DVD to TV, sound is terrible. Its very muffled, and I have to turn it way up to hear clearly. Is there a setting that I am missing? Thanks.

That tells you that the problem is with your DVD player. Sometimes you have a volume option on the DVD player itself (via menus or remote control).
post #879 of 882 Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

That is definitely noise and/or a weak signal. It's possible the old CRT is less sensitive to it. It could however be a problem with the coax connector on the TV.

Now, you mention DVD plays fine... How is the DVD plugged in? If it's on it's own video input then it's irrelevant.

If you have a VCR say or any other A/V device with a COAX output, then hook that up and test the device itself, ie play a tape. If you do not see the problem, then it's a signal on the coax line. If you still see the problem, then it's on the TV's analog tuner (could be a loose connector on the inside of the TV) and you'll need service.

Another thing... Do you have cable service? If so, leave the coax as it is, and switch to the digital input via the remote, and thru the menus, change the digital input to CABLE from antenna. Then do a scan and you might pick up the unencrypted QAM signals. If it's the connector on the TV, it will probably not pickup anything. If it's the analog tuner on the TV, well, then you could get service, or just watch the unencrypted QAM channels.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for trying to help.
DVD is connected with SCART connector, so it's another thing.
I will try with VCR connected with RF cable, but I am almost sure it is coming from the cable tv. I live in Croatia/Europe, we don't have QAM digital cable TV here. This particular cable service is analogue and each program is on it's own channel/frequency. So you change programs on TV, just like OTA analogue antenna services.
Some guy told me it could be a ground loop problem, or some noise which this bravia doesn't filter out. So I'm not sure whether to search some RF filters or gound loop isolators (galvanic/capacitive).
post #880 of 882 Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Interesting... I was just searching the forum about the same problem and found this thread. My KDL-40s2000 connected to a TIVO via HDMI does the same thing. Not all the time, but quite often it gets lost when switching from standard to HD channels. The screen goes black and I have to turn it off and on to get back to visual. Very annoying. I have it hooked to a Sony AV system which I bought thinking that having all Sony equipment would ensure everything works well together. I am not very happy with the AV receiver or the TV.
post #881 of 882 Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslice1 View Post

Interesting... I was just searching the forum about the same problem and found this thread. My KDL-40s2000 connected to a TIVO via HDMI does the same thing. Not all the time, but quite often it gets lost when switching from standard to HD channels. The screen goes black and I have to turn it off and on to get back to visual. Very annoying. I have it hooked to a Sony AV system which I bought thinking that having all Sony equipment would ensure everything works well together. I am not very happy with the AV receiver or the TV.

I have the same problem with my Sony connected directly to my Motorola digital cable box. However, with my Onkyo receiver in the circuit it works. Although it is some what sluggish when I change channels.

I believe this is a HDCP problem. Sony who brought us 'root kits' on CD's is overly paranoid about pirates. My guess is that the copy protection circuity is too sensitive. I believe I read, in this forum, that someone got Sony to update their HDTV firmware to fix this.

I am avoiding Sony products. My newest HDTV is a 55" Panasonic Plasma which I am very happy with.
post #882 of 882 Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

August 15, 2014: My Sony KDL-40S2000 that I bought in 2006 just bit the dust. It has been getting used non-stop everyday since I bought it. I recently moved it to rental house, hung it on the wall and it worked for a few months. We went to watch it yesterday and the screen started to flicker and get dark and there is a high pitch whine. Probably a bad fluorescent tube or capacitor. Way out of my technical range. I just bought a Samsung as a replacement. I loved my 8 years with my Sony, but their new sets have gotten too expensive and they have limited their tiers of available sets. I guess they are finally not too interested in the consumer market below the 4k TVs. Too bad: I have been a Sony TV fanatic since 1985. No longer.

The Sony KDL-40S2000 was a great set, I will miss it and all of it's quirks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page