The Official Sceptre X42GV/X42SV-Naga LCD HDTV Owner's Thread: NO PRICE TALK - Page 140 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4171 of 4199 Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding non-working remote.

I had same problem. I wrote to Sceptre and asked for a new one. They sent me a refurbished one (kudo's to them).

Also, their tech support group sent me the following:

Dear Customer,

Take the batteries out of the remote control. Unplug the power cord off the TV. Wait for 30 minutes. Press EVERY button on the remote control at least two times each without batteries installed. Plug the power cord back into the TV. Put the batteries back into the remote. See if it works now. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Sceptre Technical Support Group

As it turned out, before I got the 'newer' remote mine started working again. I never tried the advice above either; the remote just started working.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4199 Old 04-19-2008, 07:50 PM

I know this is not the forum for this set, but I found these settings for the X32GU. I saw other people posting their sets too. So I think these guys would be up to doing more Sceptre's

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/1...3&model_id=251
post #4173 of 4199 Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 AM

For best picture on this TV here are my setting.

Contrast = 20 (for all I/P)
Brightness = 40 (For DTV, HDMI, DVI, HDCP) 50 for (AV1, AV2, YPbBr) It should be 27 as per THX Optimizer, but then pics are too dark. I like 40 for digital and 50 for analog inputs.
Sharpness = 4 (For all I/P)
Contrast = 32 (For all I/P)
Gama = 2 (For All I/P)
Blue = Off (For All I/P)
Green = Off (For All I/P)
Tint = 0 (For All I/P)
Lamp = 6 (For All I/P)
DCI = Off (For All I/P)
Noise = Off. (For All I/P)

All other setting (except for brightness) passes THX optimizer tests.
post #4174 of 4199 Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Hello -
I am in need of the 10' extension cable and just phoned Sceptre only to find out they are sold-out and not planning to order any more of them! This isn't all that timely as I just finished my media closet and need this cord in order to allow the media box to live in its new home.

Does anyone out there happen to know of anywhere else I might be able to buy one? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

Thanks, doug.
post #4175 of 4199 Old 08-21-2008, 04:53 PM

Anyone have a working X42GV-Naga media box with cables for sale?
post #4176 of 4199 Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM

I did something stupid in the debug menu, I just need to know, When running the moniter in 1920x1080 on VGA PC whats the default entries on the Debug menu on anyones moniter?
The SPAN DADB
and STEP D8D9

Mine got changed because I was stupid and curious, thanks alot.
post #4177 of 4199 Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 PM

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do with a dead X42GV? The media box has been back to the shop twice now and I don't want to spend anymore money on this thing. The display is in perfect condition but the media box is dead.

Anyone? If you want to cable, let me know and we can work something out.
post #4178 of 4199 Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Anyone know what the latest firmware is for a 2 hdmi media box ?
post #4179 of 4199 Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Hello,

The other day my Sceptre X-42 stopped responding to it's remote.
(it's not like it suddenly stopped, but at some point I went to turn
the TV off and nothing happened)

I tried all buttons and fresh batteries. No Joy.

Is there some trick to controlling this TV without a remote? I looked
for a hidden panel of button but did not find it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

TIA for the time,

Chris
post #4180 of 4199 Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRZ1138 View Post

Hello,

The other day my Sceptre X-42 stopped responding to it's remote.
(it's not like it suddenly stopped, but at some point I went to turn
the TV off and nothing happened)

I tried all buttons and fresh batteries. No Joy.

Is there some trick to controlling this TV without a remote? I looked
for a hidden panel of button but did not find it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

TIA for the time,

Chris

If you haven't already, suggest you try the following:

1. Replace the batteries in your remote - if that doesn't work then

2. Turn off the Media Box - so no red standby light is visible on the panel. Turn Box on after 5 minutes wait. Try turning on the panel on the front. If successful, turn it off and see if your remote is working again
post #4181 of 4199 Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM

When I first turn on the set - if I'm watching an SD channel (480i) at 16:9 (full screen) a green perpendicular line abotu 4 inches wide stretches up and down the entire screen on its left side. The whole picture is shifted to the right.

If I flip to an HD channel and then back to the SD the problem is solved. So far this work around is solving the problem. But it's weird. I would like to know the cause ...
post #4182 of 4199 Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Anybody ever try the 8600GT and a 2 hdmi media box ??I can't get this combo to work.Screen flickers and lots of res and green sparkles. Thi combo works great on a 1 hdmi media box. Upgraded firmwareand drivers no luck.
post #4183 of 4199 Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Hello guys, i am not sure if this is the problem or not, my community has basic comcast cable and don't have any STB for cable. I just plugged my cable to the this tv's STB. My question is, when i searched for HD channels last time, I got plenty of HD channels, of course, including OTA channels such as NBC, ABC etc. But when i try this time, i get no HD channel at all but a bunch of 480i channels. is it a cable signal problems or a TV. I mean signal will be changed to HD signal next feb. and i thought that i would have more HD channels by now. does anyone have similar problem?
post #4184 of 4199 Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 AM

Make sure you chose 'IRC' while scanning the cannels. If IRC doesn't work then try 'HRC'. It seems you chose to scan cable (as in NTSC cable) channels. For HD you will need to scan 'IRC' or 'HRC'.

Hope this helps.
post #4185 of 4199 Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 AM

My unit was purchased back on 6/2006 from you know who "CC" I love this thing and I cant find any other product out there with a "Media Box" which makes life so easy. No need to move the whole LCD panel off the wall to switch cables or attach a new device. I wish more OEM out there would use the idea of a Media Box in this price range of under 2K.

Anyways, within the past few months I've developed a "Band" down the middle of the screen. There was never a "Static" image with a line down the middle and since I have cablevision with a mixed SD/HDTV output occasionally I have to watch things with sidebars and there is no evidence of any banding in the two areas where the side bars are. The banding is more apparent with dimmer/darker images. A very light/white background will make it less apparent. Plus this happens with all of the sources I have, Cable Box, DVD, PC.

I emailed CS@Sceptre.com they said I was out of the warranty and they said to email TS@Sceptre.com who asked me to email them a photo. Which I did, they told me to basically "clean my screen" and that was the last I heard from them. Fortunately I paid this with my AMEX and also I am grandfathered into the CC Sat. policy. Either way AMEX will cover it I think with some type of extended warranty or I hate to bring it back to CC, but I might have to. Its too bad that my 35" 17 year old CRT tube which still works, and last longer than these LCD panels!!!

image located at

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSCN7914.jpg
LL
post #4186 of 4199 Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedds View Post

My unit was purchased back on 6/2006 from you know who "CC" I love this thing and I cant find any other product out there with a "Media Box" which makes life so easy. No need to move the whole LCD panel off the wall to switch cables or attach a new device. I wish more OEM out there would use the idea of a Media Box in this price range of under 2K.

Anyways, within the past few months I've developed a "Band" down the middle of the screen. There was never a "Static" image with a line down the middle and since I have cablevision with a mixed SD/HDTV output occasionally I have to watch things with sidebars and there is no evidence of any banding in the two areas where the side bars are. The banding is more apparent with dimmer/darker images. A very light/white background will make it less apparent. Plus this happens with all of the sources I have, Cable Box, DVD, PC.

I emailed CS@Sceptre.com they said I was out of the warranty and they said to email TS@Sceptre.com who asked me to email them a photo. Which I did, they told me to basically "clean my screen" and that was the last I heard from them. Fortunately I paid this with my AMEX and also I am grandfathered into the CC Sat. policy. Either way AMEX will cover it I think with some type of extended warranty or I hate to bring it back to CC, but I might have to. Its too bad that my 35" 17 year old CRT tube which still works, and last longer than these LCD panels!!!

image located at

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSCN7914.jpg

I bought mine from CC (online) I think the same year and month you did. I have a banding problem also. It's a perpindicular green line along the left edge of the screen. It happens only with SD (480i) channels, and then only at startup. The green band would stay there forever but the 'workaround' is to flip immediately to an HD (1080i) channel and then back to the SD. So far this has worked and it's no big deal. Still, I'm left wondering - what caused this green band, and if the workaround stops working will it become a permanent 'feature'?
post #4187 of 4199 Old 02-07-2009, 06:12 PM

I don't know how active this thread is but any help would be useful.

Recently I turned on my Sceptre X42-NAGA and tried to change the lamp setting. No matter what number I change it to the lamp setting doesn't change. Its sitting right now at about a 2-3 lamp setting (from my own observation). I have had the TV for 8 months and until about a week ago (right after the Superbowl) it was working perfectly fine. Now everything works except the lamp effectively making the TV look terrible. Any suggestions?
post #4188 of 4199 Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer_123 View Post

... Any suggestions?

Contact Sceptre directly. They've always responded to my emails within 24-48 hours.

I write to: Sceptre Customer Service

Good luck!
..rickko..
ps. I've had mine since May 1st of '06. I've used it at least 6-8 hours every weekday since buying it, plus many, many weekends. I probably have around 7,000 hours of usage on it.

No problems except to have the remote stop working.

Sceptre sent me the fix. "Remove the batteries. Unplug the media box. push every button on the remote once. Then push them all again. Turn on media box. re-install batteries...." Wah-lah! The remote works again.
post #4189 of 4199 Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I read through a lot of posts, before posting ...
(sorry if answer out there somewhere )
Bought the x42 about 2 years ago - never a problem until recently,
when only 1 channel loses video. I still get choppy audio.
When I edit channels - add this particular one back, it gets
92% signal. Other channels are not near as strong, so I don't
think it's a signal issue. i tried substitute channels.
It's not the station, either, since I can go to another room,
another tv, and pick up that channel crystal clear. Ideas ?
( btw, that channel shows up later just fine, without being
turned off - it just decides to show. Not heat related either )
post #4190 of 4199 Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 PM

This is it! My last post to this forum.

I remember, before I pulled the trigger to buy my set I read the first 66 pages of this forum. Took forever but I was finally convinced I was buying a good product with a return policy that couldn't be beat.

Over the past three years I've read every single post to this forum and enjoyed them all. I even contributed about 60 or 70 times myself.

So, why am I baling?

Because I just returned my X42SV-Naga back to Costco the other day and..... got a FULL 100% refund (It was grandfathered into their old return policy)!

I purchased it in March of '06 for 1999.99 plus 199 shipping plus $10 Waste Fee and $170 in state taxes. Received it and set it up on May 1st of '06. It pretty much was used everyday thereafter.

It died on me about 2 weeks ago.

Symptoms: After about 5 hours of continuous running it would shut down; like a circuit breaker got switched off.

I sent Sceptre an email (BTW, they are the best! They've always been cordial and helpful over the years whenever I'd have a question). They asked me to ship the media box back. I did ($10 UPS). They replaced the power supply and I had it back six days later (yesterday).

I plugged it in. Again, after just about 6-hrs of continuous on time it shut down. The only way to get it to turn on again was to to flip the master power switch in the back off, then on. Then it would stay on for maybe 1/2 to one hour and shut down again.

That was enough for me so I took it back.

It was a very, very good HDTV up until about a week ago. Worked correctly non stop for over 3 years. Problem is, when I compare it to my 32 year old Hitachi that STILL WORKS I have to say, it should have lasted a hell of a lot longer for the price I paid.

So, farewell all.

I hope your 42-Naga lasts a long, long time.

..rickko..
PS. For some reason I have a spare Sceptre controller for this set, I never used it. I'll sell it for $15 including shipping. Email me at rick@bikerider.com if you are interested. 1st come 1st served!
post #4191 of 4199 Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Yep, Costco's policy was generous -- too generous, and I can understand why they stopped it. My Sceptre ended up going back for minor issues, as partial payment for an upgrade to a 58" plasma, so at least Costco got some of it back... Even the 90 day policy is pretty darned good, so I'll buy from Costco even when they don't win on price.
post #4192 of 4199 Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have this HDTV and it has been performing well for the past 3 years but the remote stopped working and I need to upgrade anyway.

Can someone recommend a LCD TV that comes with a similar media box? Thanks.
post #4193 of 4199 Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 AM

I've never heard/seen another TV that used that media box.

The remote probably is NOT broken. This happened to me. I wrote to Sceptre. They gave me procedures to reactivate it that worked. I don't recall them now but I did post them here. Maybe you can do a search on posts with my name to find it.

I remember, part of the procedure was to remove the batteries and push every button on the remote. Beyond that I can't remember but I posted the steps.

Also, if you really need a remote, I have a brand new, never used Sceptre remote for the TV you have that I'd be happy to send you for $30 including shipping. This could be the last NEW Sceptre remote control in existence.

Check your PMs for my Paypal address.

..rickko..
post #4194 of 4199 Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Follow up:

From Sceptre:
Dear Customer,

Take the batteries out of the remote control. Unplug the power cord off the TV. Wait for 30 minutes. Press EVERY button on the remote control at least two times each without batteries installed. Plug the power cord back into the TV. Put the batteries back into the remote. See if it works now. Thanks.

Best Regards,
post #4195 of 4199 Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickko View Post

Follow up:

From Sceptre:
Dear Customer,

Best Regards,

dance for 15 min around remote signing magic spell "aba buba dudu boo"
if remote will not start blinking repeat
post #4196 of 4199 Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM

has anyone gotten any codes to work properly on the comcast remote?

Are there any universal remotes out there that will work? I lost my original remote, been using a harmony for years, but now I have it in another room without a harmony.
post #4197 of 4199 Old 03-22-2013, 02:52 AM

Do you have a media box with cables for the X42GV-NAGA, new or old, that I can purchase?

Thanks.
post #4198 of 4199 Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 AM

Hi,

Do you have a media box and cables for the X42GV-NAGA that I can purchase?

Thank you in advance for your time and considerations in assisting me with this issue.

John

John@Drahzal.com
914-471-1456
post #4199 of 4199 Old 06-11-2014, 11:51 PM

Hi everyone my Naga 42" strangely doesn' get in the channel scan menu anymore in DTV mode. is there a way to reset this TV?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page