The Official Sceptre X42GV/X42SV-Naga LCD HDTV Owner's Thread: NO PRICE TALK - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by osufan View Post

I'm in Columbus, and rec'd the ship confirm e-mail today at 3:53 p.m. EST. Also, I didn't place my order until about 6:00 p.m. on Monday, so who knows what the rationale is re: who's shipping first, etc.

Awesome... Does it say where it is shipping from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Hope this doesn't turn into an X-Box 360 type launch disaster. Also, hope the "C" website did not oversell past the number of units that Sceptre can actually provide them. The estimated delivery date changes on the product page are an ominous sign that something is not right. My guess is that within a day or so, the product page will read - "item backordered, check back in 4-8 weeks!"

You know, an X-Box 360 is still impossible to find on a store shelf even 3-4 months since "launch."

X-Box Live id: Sushi K 221
Look me up. I really suck but I like to play!
post #183 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi k View Post

You know, an X-Box 360 is still impossible to find on a store shelf even 3-4 months since "launch."

Trust me I know I am still trying to get one.....Ordered G.R.A.W. from costco and I get the same msg as the TV........As for the xbox 360 I hear their will be a new batch released on the 17th of this month

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
post #184 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM

So just on a curiosity, has anyone that ordered Sunday Night or ealry Monday morning received a ship confirmation email?

It seems like everyone reporting that they received the ship confirmation ordered the TV on Monday night (almost a full day after the initial orders were in).

Congrats to those lucky enough to get the ship confirmation, but it seems like if you ordered early you were somehow put behind everyone else in the shipping line.
post #185 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paths View Post

Does it say where it is shipping from?

Nope, but I have to assume CA, unless some of these things are already in distribution centers around the country.
post #186 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 08:03 PM

Hmmm, I ordered just after midnight (East Coast) on 3/6, and received my email confirmation at 12:36am. My status still says "in process." Like another poster, I might just have to go buy a TV at Costco w/ the intention of returning it after the Scepter gets here.

I was one of the first to order -- I have little doubt about it. I live in FL, and am a regular customer. But if I have to wait more than 4 weeks, I might just return the Scepter after the LED-based Samsung DLP hits the market.

Plus, given the updated weight from Scepter's website, which makes this thing like 60lbs, why in the hell are we paying "white-glove" shipping!?!? $200 for shipping? Well, I won't be feeling bad when I drop this puppy off at the local warehouse. But, I'll give Costco & Sceptre a chance to make things right, and get it to me reasonably quickly. But as quick as I pulled the trigger to buy it, I'll return it just out of spite if things become overwhelmingly lame. Stupid badging duma$$e$ at Sceptre need to be taken out back & shot.
post #187 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 08:37 PM

I ordered mid-day Monday and received my ship confirmation a couple hours ago. I'm an exec member and live in the bay area, CA.

No tracking info yet.
post #188 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osufan View Post

Nope, but I have to assume CA, unless some of these things are already in distribution centers around the country.

I would say they are in the distros by now. They knew Costco would be selling them this week so it makes sense to be prepared. But then again, maybe they thought the initial volume would be low enought that they could just ship from one DC.

Once the tracking number kicks in I would be interested in knowing if the first scan is from CA or elsehwere.
post #189 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdu View Post

@Lumberg - If you get in too much trouble, you could always send me the TV. Seriously, though... Good luck with that. If I'd spent 2,000 dollars and not told my wife, we'd have been divorced a LOT sooner.

Good to know yours is showing "shipped" and you're on the East Coast. Gives me hope.

I made sure I bought my wife her convertible BEFORE I started outfitting the home theater and HTPC.

Bob
post #190 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 PM

Hello all!!! Long time lurker, 1st time poster here.

I have a few questions about this TV before i go all in for it. I am not a Costco member but i will add membership at checkout which is $45 dollars over the $100 surcharge for non-members. I will do this also to get the Costco return protection. However i am in Tennessee(but close to the border of Kentucky) and sales tax is cheaper in Kentucky than in Tennesee. I was wanting to have this TV shipped to my friends house 10 minutes away in Kentucky but wanted to know how i would do this if i pay with my TN debit card.

Is tax figured by the debit/credit card address i use or by the address on the Costco account? Also whoever said they have used White Gloves shipping before do they require the signature of the person who orders the item or will any adult signature do?

Oh and btw Tgif asked:
"...why in the hell are we paying "white-glove" shipping!?!? $200 for shipping?"

Good question and the answer is because COSTCO FIGURES THE TOTAL TAXES DUE WITH THE SHIPPING INCLUDED!!! I just figured this out and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I don't think i know of any other retailer that charges tax on shipping.
post #191 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egomaniacal1 View Post

I have a few questions about this TV before i go all in for it. I am not a Costco member but i will add membership at checkout which is $45 dollars over the $100 surcharge for non-members. I will do this also to get the Costco return protection. However i am in Tennessee(but close to the border of Kentucky) and sales tax is cheaper in Kentucky than in Tennesee. I was wanting to have this TV shipped to my friends house 10 minutes away in Kentucky but wanted to know how i would do this if i pay with my TN debit card.

Is tax figured by the debit/credit card address i use or by the address on the Costco account? Also whoever said they have used White Gloves shipping before do they require the signature of the person who orders the item or will any adult signature do?

I ordered a sharper image leather massage chair for my parents last year that required white glove delivery. I would assume it would work the same at costco.com. You put your friend's address as the shipping and your debit card address as the billing. I'm not sure but I think they would charge the tax for where it is being shipped. And it will require the signature of the name you put on under shipping address.
post #192 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Good question and the answer is because COSTCO FIGURES THE TOTAL TAXES DUE WITH THE SHIPPING INCLUDED!!! I just figured this out and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I don't think i know of any other retailer that charges tax on shipping.

Would it make you feel better if Costco raised the price of the display by $200 and announced free shipping with the product? Costco is in a class of its own- most other retailers/wholesalers will just include shipping in the price and announce "free shipping".
post #193 of 4199 Old 03-08-2006, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyway, back on the topic:

Does anyone know of mounting hardware for this Sceptre that has the slimmest profile? I was thinking of using large lag screws to mount the display but I wasn't sure if this would work or not.

I really want the Sceptre to be as flush with the wall as possible. This will make the thin display look like a picture frame rather than a TV.
post #194 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougs1 View Post

Any one knows which on es better the Syntax Olevia 42" HDTV-Ready LCD TV - LT42HVi which sells for $1900 plus $89 shipping or pick it up from the store which is in every town or the Sceptre for $2400??? Any idea???

JB

I think that Sceptre is better because resolution and a separate tuner. However there is no Syntax Olevia in North CA stores.

Proudly listen to 24/192 vinyl rips directly on my Nexus phone using Kamerton
post #195 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharvel View Post

Would it make you feel better if Costco raised the price of the display by $200 and announced free shipping with the product? Costco is in a class of its own- most other retailers/wholesalers will just include shipping in the price and announce "free shipping".

Well let me flip it around then, would you feel better paying $500 for shipping and then getting charged more in sales tax based on that?!?! I reiterate i know of no other company that charges sales tax on shipping....shipping thru another company at that!!! I don't care if Costco is in a class of its own. Does that mean they get free reign to do whatever they please. I mean if they gave an option of picking this TV up in one of their warehouses(as they very well could) then i wouldn't have a problem. However since you bring up how other companies would add shipping and announce it as free then in that respect how is Costco any better by essentially adding money on the backend by charging tax on shipping? Albeit a measly sum($19.40 in my case here in TN) its the principle of it all that rubs me the wrong way.

However i digress. I have a few more questions about the Naga 42". Does anyone know the probability that this TV will get an upgraded media box sometime down the road possibly with the digital audio and more HDMI/DVI inputs?

I will be building an HTPC for this TV and was looking at the pics of the 3-headed cable that goes fromt the TV to the media box. Do we know for sure one way or the other if the media box absolutely has to be used or can another ATSC tuner be directly connected to the TV?
post #196 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 AM

Its a great deal, shouldn't complain about the price, i mean which other manufacturer makes a setbox. I am loving the idea of it!, if sony had made this , they probably would of charged 500 dollars more. To me this company stands out and is doing just fine. I've talked to a Lady there and she was quite informed, too, and answered all my questions. I felt really reassured that my product would last and also costco has their own quality control, so i am sure this TV is just great. There will always be manufacture defects, but of course i have yet to see mine, and so i cannot really boast too much just yet. I hope the wait isn't much longer though, seems like its worth waiting for. So many buyers, can't really go wrong .
post #197 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawaavsf View Post

Its a mass produced/assembled product. It cannot be modified mid-distribution for cosmetics without incurring a lot of expense and wrath of consumers due to delays. Even though tone of Sceptre's reply is pretty stern, their suggestion is the only practical answer. I do wish, Costco & Scepter's websites had clearly shown these "works of art" at the latest by the start of the sale.

I think the support is half correct... don't cancel, just buy this TV and return in 6 mo. for money back toward a larger one... this one will NOT be a keeper with the ugly branding, but it will work just fine as a temorary stop gap while a better set comes out that WILL be a keeper...
post #198 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugzy View Post

4-8 weeks now?!?! I would feel bad doing it, but I may have to go pick up a TV from Costco with the intention of returning it when my Sceptre arrives. I am not one to complain to companies, but when I ordered it said 3-6 weeks, so if it doesnt come within 6 weeks I will be very upset.

Also, I definately feel duped with that lettering on the TV.

That is exactly what I am thinking.... at 8 weeks out, I'll order this one (I was leaning toward aWesti 42) and then go to costco to pick up a 37 in, or something in the $1500 range then return it when this one shows up... DAMN they will have a lot of returns in 4-8 weeks :-)
post #199 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:

***I don't care if Costco is in a class of its own. Does that mean they get free reign to do whatever they please. I mean if they gave an option of picking this TV up in one of their warehouses(as they very well could) then i wouldn't have a problem. However since you bring up how other companies would add shipping and announce it as free then in that respect how is Costco any better by essentially adding money on the backend by charging tax on shipping?
Does anyone know the probability that this TV will get an upgraded media box sometime down the road possibly with the digital audio and more HDMI/DVI inputs?
I will be building an HTPC for this TV and was looking at the pics of the 3-headed cable that goes fromt the TV to the media box. Do we know for sure one way or the other if the media box absolutely has to be used or can another ATSC tuner be directly connected to the TV?

Hi Ego:

Well, Costco, like every other retailer, has to watch their step or risk losing customers. It seems to me that their prices are on the high side, generally. The only reason I jumped on this item, and probably will exclusively buy big-ticket items from them, is their lifetime satisfaction guarantee (It's posted on the website.) I am quite positive that I will use their return policy one way or the other. I don't mind returning items (warehouse's 15 minutes away & we have a Suburban). So, I don't mind shopping their store.

The proprietary cable & media box are still unknowns. I'm sure we could build a custom cable that would work for our particular application, but we'd have to get the pin-outs first (probably in the service manual). And who knows, there may be some required handshaking built into the box to require its use? Time will tell!! But I'm sure a hack could be easily implemented.
post #200 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echen View Post

To me this company stands out and is doing just fine. I've talked to a Lady there and she was quite informed, too, and answered all my questions. I felt really reassured that my product would last and also costco has their own quality control, so i am sure this TV is just great. There will always be manufacture defects...

I don't mean to single out this particular post, or to burst anyones bubbles, but I am really amazed that there appears to be many posters here who have ordered this $2k+ set and have not taken the time to check the threads on the Sceptre 30" or 37" sets (especially since it appears that the 42" will have much the same circuity as the 37", just with a different panel).

Are these sets, in general, good values? Yes. But they are certainly not without their problems - and I am not just referring to manufacturing defects but to design flaws as well.

And I am not sure what one would mean by "costco having their own quality control" unless this refers to the fact that you can simply return the set. These units have, with a few B&M exceptions, been drop shipped from Ontario CA., directly from the Sceptre warehouse. Costco never sees the units... unless they are returned (which leads to another discussion as to who, the manufacturer, or the retailer, was recently shipping re-boxed and refurbished units to fulfill "new" orders for the 37"... but that is another issue).

I would also not place an order for the 42" set with the expectation that there will be an upgraded media box with more ports or cablecard support. Sceptre has not shown a history of building a "family" of sets with a common design approach and without that there would be little incentive for them to expend resources on providing "upgraded" media boxes. It *may* happen, but most likely would be with the introduction of their next set (if they even stick with the sidecar approach) and there would likely be no guarantee of compatibility with earlier units.

Again, these sets offer great "bang for the buck" but I fear that you may be disappointed if you are setting your sights too high.
post #201 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Oh and btw Tgif asked:
"...why in the hell are we paying "white-glove" shipping!?!? $200 for shipping?"

Hey I am in Ky and ordered one from them early afternoon Monday.

They should charge tax based on where you are shipping it. At least that is what Dell any most if not all other companies I order from have done it.

And the best part is when I ordered they do not even charge tax in KY, so all I got hit for was the white glove delivery
post #202 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 06:15 AM

Well, Costco has a great return policy. If i do not like it, its going back, I for one would never take a chance without costco's grace on a brand with good and bad reviews. I find Costco is either at two faults, one is for Costco, having a really bad rep, to buy from sceptre knowing full well of an announced product with ongoing change design, that couldn't be backed up built to costco's return policy to make a profit, while having bad tech support(thinking like everyone is an idiot). The first person i talked to seemed great over the phone, the second however was not. And the other is for Costco not having a display unit for a 2k item.

My friend has the westi and it looks nice! My eye has been stuck on that for awhile, its got a beautiful slick deisgn, and i wouldn't mind switching to it in a heartbeat The reason i got this set was because of the media box, and from mixed reviews they said it wasn't bad compared to the westi on the 37". As i have never seen the secptre 37" I can't say anything either. The 30" i have no comment on. FYI: tech support has told my friend they will not be seeing any upgrades on the mediabox in the near future. Also with this response i am also seeing how this will not happen: the company has reassured me they do not deal or want to deal with end users. So unless they sell these media boxes to a retail chain company, i may not see it happening at all, as well as the extended cables a few of us have been hoping for. After talking to the lady working there, i expect it to work out okay. But the bottom line is.

My hopes are rest assured and reassured by costco.
post #203 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Well let me flip it around then, would you feel better paying $500 for shipping and then getting charged more in sales tax based on that?!?! I reiterate i know of no other company that charges sales tax on shipping....shipping thru another company at that!!! I don't care if Costco is in a class of its own. Does that mean they get free reign to do whatever they please. I mean if they gave an option of picking this TV up in one of their warehouses(as they very well could) then i wouldn't have a problem. However since you bring up how other companies would add shipping and announce it as free then in that respect how is Costco any better by essentially adding money on the backend by charging tax on shipping? Albeit a measly sum($19.40 in my case here in TN) its the principle of it all that rubs me the wrong way.

However i digress. I have a few more questions about the Naga 42". Does anyone know the probability that this TV will get an upgraded media box sometime down the road possibly with the digital audio and more HDMI/DVI inputs?

Egomaniacal1,
You don't have to use the built-in ATSC tuner to pick up OTA HD. You could get a standalone box with an OTA ATSC tuner and some sort of digital out. If you connect it through the hdmi port, you wouldn't loose any of the digital goodness.
You could connect a cable box to the component connector (the vga becomes a component with a breakout cable). If you want the digital hdmi goodness all around, then you'd want an hdmi switcher from monoprice.com (link above forum)
William

I gotta have more cowbell, Baby!
------------------------------------------
When all else fails, reboot.
post #204 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM

I would bet most of the early ship confirms turn out to be for the east coast.
If I promise everyone 20 days delivery then I am going to ship the ones that take the longest first. I assume they are trying to cut down on costs by going Full Load to the east.
Shipping big stuff these days is like sending out postcards. They charge you less if you group them together and agree to slow delivery.
$200 delivery charge is the worst case scenario, and they are going to avoid that.
post #205 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok.. to answer most people questions. I live in Bay Area, CA
post #206 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

more of the same.. still waiting for reviews :x
post #207 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 AM

As anybody looked at wall mount arms for these LCD HDTVs? I'm looking at the Chief MFG PWR, they also offer PNR and PDR, and the Omnimount CLX, both in black. Any opinons on either or others?
post #208 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 AM

Costco customer service just called and said based on the information from their shipping department, the shipping process will begin early next week. It will ship to a local carrier first, and that will take a few extra days, then the local carrier will deliver it to me. Sounds promising, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high. I ordered mine at 11:30PM PST on March 5th from California and my status still shows In Process. She said it should change to Shipped early next week, which I assume to mean when Costco has sent it to the local carrier for delivery to me.
post #209 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Been looking here a long time, thought I should at least post something...ordered mine on Sunday night here in Southern California - got the confirmation email at 11:15 that night. Still no shipping status, so I emailed costco to see if they're going on a first in first out basis...this is what I got:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Costco.

These orders will be shipped out in the order they were received. Your
order has not shipped just yet according to our system. Currently I have
no solid ETA to give you I'm afraid.

Jared
e-Commerce Email Support

If they really are going out in the order they were received, why is it that everyone that says they got a shipping notice ordered later on Monday? I wonder if the very first orders (early Monday morning) took longer to process because they were placed during non-business hours....
post #210 of 4199 Old 03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody have a tracking #? ANYBODY?

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page