The Official Sceptre X42GV/X42SV-Naga LCD HDTV Owner's Thread: NO PRICE TALK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figured since we started buying our Sceptre 42" Naga Today I would start an official thread for us! As soon as we start receiving them we can post our reviews here...I have ordered mine today and am still waiting for the tracking number. My Costco Order staus....Says "In Process" Has anyone received their tracking numbers yet?

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They are quoting 4 weeks delivery so my guess is we won't see tracking for a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
post #3 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Figures....lol.....The wait continues......I just called time warner to upgrade my service to the HD package with SA8300 DVR Boxes and they will be here to upgrade the service on the 18th so that should be fine I guess......At least the service upgrade wont have to wait. I have no luck when It comes to buying TV's.....I am also waiting for my JVC Pro HD-P70R1U Rear Projection For my living room and wouldn't you know it, they are back ordered.....been waiting for that one since December Just my luck

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
post #4 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #5 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

WIll they have this set on display?

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
post #6 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:06 PM

If you want HD, and don't want to go OTA, how does a "built-in ATSC tuner" fit in? You plug in your cable (sans Cablecard, w/ this model) and you get...what? (Assuming, I guess, an HD subscription w/ cable? Or just digital?)
Bloody confusing and frustrating. Why couldn't they add Cablecard, especially w/ a whole freakin' extra box to work with? Ditto w/ digital-audio out.
post #7 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis16 View Post

If you want HD, and don't want to go OTA, how does a "built-in ATSC tuner" fit in? You plug in your cable (sans Cablecard, w/ this model) and you get...what? (Assuming, I guess, an HD subscription w/ cable? Or just digital?)
Bloody confusing and frustrating. Why couldn't they add Cablecard, especially w/ a whole freakin' extra box to work with? Ditto w/ digital-audio out.

It has a QAM tuner, so it will decode "unscrambled" digital and HD channels if you're connected via cable. No joy for satellite. Your cable company should be able to tell you which channels you will see. I read a post on the 37" thread that said they got quite a few HD directly connected.
My bet is that since it's cheaper than other sets, they save $ by leaving off the cablecard connector and the digital audio.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #8 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Regarding the mounting hardware, I am thinking of getting that Peerless mount. However, I am not sure if this mount will make the display look flush with the wall. Is there another mount out there that will make the display looks really flush with the wall to the extent that there is almost no gap between the back of the LCD and the wall? I want to take advantage of the thin profile of the Sceptre and make it as flush to the wall as possible.
post #9 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM

Just a post to make it easier for me to find this thread later ;-)
post #10 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:58 PM

As posted on the sellers website - "Due to overwhelming response delivery time is now 3-6 weeks".

Maybe if you ordered early you'll get it in 3 weeks which is better than the original 4 weeks.
post #11 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Does anyone know if the "white glove" delivery service includes moving your old tv out of the way?

I have a big old clunky tube I would rather not move myself, espically since I was forced to pay $200 for this shipping.
post #12 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryllium View Post

As posted on the sellers website - "Due to overwhelming response delivery time is now 3-6 weeks".

I bet these weren't ready anyway ... the 'overwhelming response' is just their (Sceptre's? Costco's?) Excuse!

And I DO hope they ship in order that the orders were placed ... I should be among the first few recipients (Thanks, again, Bob!)

*ashu*
post #13 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM

Yea, thanks BOB.. You rock

I would have passed out and not been able to order until the next day, if I didn't see that clever hack you posted up.
post #14 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stig View Post

Does anyone know if the "white glove" delivery service includes moving your old tv out of the way?

I have a big old clunky tube I would rather not move myself, espically since I was forced to pay $200 for this shipping.

This is a good question for anyone out there who had "white glove" delivery service before. Would they move an old 36" Sony XBR out of the way to set this up?
post #15 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been following this (old) and now new thread for weeks. I already have a 57" RPTV (CRT) Sony HDTV from 2003 (in the home theater), and a 42" Panny Plasma (EDTV) in the Bedroom. These both work great for current DVD's since scaling is not an issue.

I am considering the Sceptre 42 LCD for the living room as a replacement for an old 32" CRT. Can anyone advise how SD sources (Analog/Digital Cable, DVD's) will look on this set? There won't be any 1080P sources for me to try on this set for a few months.

I don't plan on buying a scaler, or a player that upconverts to HD. Blu-Ray is not expected until summer. I currently have HDTV cable (1080i). But I believe that my STB only has component outputs. I may be mistaken, but I recall the cable guy telling me that the DVI output is disabled. I don't think it even has HDMI. It's a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD.

Sounds like a good set at a good price.
post #16 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 PM

I just have standard cable would like to plug in directly to a cable connection.

How will it work? PQ?
post #17 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM

I have been waiting for this box to come out at C.... now I'm torn... the $200 ship and 6 weeks wait are major problems.... And meanwhile the Westy had come down in price to where I can get one from .tronics for $100 more - shipping and all - than the C.... price of the Sceptre... Grr.... what to do... what to do...

Sceptre is black and has a breakout box
Westy is silver, but has more HDMI/DVI connections and is available within a week...

What will the price of the Westy be in 6 weeks when the Sceptre ships... or will other online stores sell Sceptre in 6 weeks as well, like they do the 37...

Man this is stressfull!

Anyone else debating this like me?
post #18 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by redink View Post

I just have standard cable would like to plug in directly to a cable connection.

How will it work? PQ?

If you mean that you're only subscribing to standard cable, but your cable service offers digital and/or HD, the tuner will give you all the SD channels, as well as decode any unincripted HD and digital channels and you will be in hog heaven (assuming your cable company doesn't decide to encript all of their output).
If your cable company doesn't have digital and/or HD, then the tuner will give you all the SD channels available.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #19 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:31 PM

I am very close to buying one of these. The 4 week wait time would kill me however.
post #20 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 PM

I ordered a Peerless DFPT420S with one of these sets on the bet that it would fit. Then I saw this post and it seems to indicate that it will not work. I can't find any info on the mount on the Peerless website. Ah well, if it doesn't fit then I'll just return it I guess.
post #21 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 PM

To the Westy or Sceptre post.

The Sceptre comes with a lifetime warrantee SEE C### for details. Also if C### lowers there price all you have to do is bring in your recept and they will refund the difference. I've done it.

Once you go Westy you can't go back.

Plus I'm looking forward to the 50 inch Sceptre when it comes out. For $1999 at this rate that will be within a year.

Jay

PS C does ship out First in First Out. and the same issue happened with the 37 Sceptre. So if you ordered last night or this morning you should have yours with in the 20 day period. If not You'll be waiting. Me I'm cool with my 37 inch Sharp until the Sceptre arrives.
post #22 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 07:18 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My Sceptre is on order; I will most definitely be posting a review when I receive it. I'll be using it as a monitor/receiver for HTPC, Xbox360, Xbox, OTA HD and Comcast QAM HD.

I apologize for the vacuous post, but I want to be able to add photos when it comes time for my review!
post #23 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genen View Post

I have been waiting for this box to come out at C.... now I'm torn... the $200 ship and 6 weeks wait are major problems.... And meanwhile the Westy had come down in price to where I can get one from .tronics for $100 more - shipping and all - than the C.... price of the Sceptre... Grr.... what to do... what to do...

Sceptre is black and has a breakout box
Westy is silver, but has more HDMI/DVI connections and is available within a week...

What will the price of the Westy be in 6 weeks when the Sceptre ships... or will other online stores sell Sceptre in 6 weeks as well, like they do the 37...

Man this is stressfull!

Anyone else debating this like me?

Dude, take it easy. And to everyone: you can stop being afraid of posting the word: Costco. It is OK, people. Per the mods, as long as we don't talk too much about the seller, mentioning the word Costco is fine. Don't take my word for it. Check mods's comments on the old thread.

Anyway, to answer genen's question, you don't need to stress over this. Just place the order on Costco.com and keep tracking the Westy. Take your time in making up your mind. Even if you make up your mind after the Sceptre arrives at your house, you can return it to Costco for full refund (including refund on shipping and tax). There is your peace of mind.

As for the Sceptre vs. Westy, the fact that the Sceptre has a much thinner profile (due to the media box) and the fact that the media box has ATSC tuner makes this a no-brainer. It is worth the wait, IMHO.
post #24 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I went to C*stco (are we not allowed to say the name?) in Avon, Massachusetts and they didn't have one on display. The woman who works the TV department had no idea about the set.. Gee, would it kill them to know what they are selling?

Last Saturday I went to CompUSA because they have a similiar 42 inch Sceptre LCD. I asked the young salesman what he thought of the set and he said customers were unhappy with the warranty. He said the customers told him that Sceptre isn't honoring the 1 year warranty that comes with it..

post #25 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 PM

Woohoo! Pulled some strings, and my order is being placed tomorrow morning! I cant wait until people actually start receiving their sets so we can get some reviews.
post #26 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugzy View Post

Woohoo! Pulled some strings, and my order is being placed tomorrow morning! I cant wait until people actually start receiving their sets so we can get some reviews.

What strings did you pull?
post #27 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post

Well, I went to C*stco (are we not allowed to say the name?) in Avon, Massachusetts and they didn't have one on display. The woman who works the TV department had no idea about the set.. Gee, would it kill them to know what they are selling?

Last Saturday I went to CompUSA because they have a similiar 42 inch Sceptre LCD. I asked the young salesman what he thought of the set and he said customers were unhappy with the warranty. He said the customers told him that Sceptre isn't honoring the 1 year warranty that comes with it..

Do you suppose they are telling people that to get them to buy the store's extended warranty????
post #28 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM

I just purchased a wall mount at SamsClub. It is made by Orbital, will hold tv's up to 61" or 200 lbs. Will give you up to a 5 degree tilt and has a slim profile of only 1 3/4". And, it was only $66-. It states that it will fit all flat tv's. I won't know for sure until I receive the tv, but if it works it is a steal. If it doesn't, I can return it to SamsClub.
Just a note: I found this at a SamsClub in South Florida. I am not sure if they sell this at all locations, and I know they don't sell it online.
post #29 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomntempe View Post

Do you suppose they are telling people that to get them to buy the store's extended warranty????

I did think of that but I would think saying something like that would discourage people from buying a Sceptre product all together.

post #30 of 4199 Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

I just purchased a wall mount at SamsClub. It is made by Orbital, will hold tv's up to 61" or 200 lbs. Will give you up to a 5 degree tilt and has a slim profile of only 1 3/4". And, it was only $66-. It states that it will fit all flat tv's. I won't know for sure until I receive the tv, but if it works it is a steal. If it doesn't, I can return it to SamsClub.
Just a note: I found this at a SamsClub in South Florida. I am not sure if they sell this at all locations, and I know they don't sell it online.

So a slim profile of 1 3/4" is the slimmest available?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page