1080P Panel Wars Ep. III: Westinghouse LVM-37w3 37" LCD - Page 309 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9241 of 9252 Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
37W1 still in daily use, and I mean daily..its my main PC monitor and I generally have it on 8+ hours every day, bought it as a $1000 reburb in 07 or 08.....it has burn-in, sorry "image retention", but only on greyish screens and I believe if I shut the set off for a month or so it would go away, but right now it persists...luckily you can't see it at all except for gaming, you almost never see it in daily use...still working.

And I have yet to find a suitable replacement as all the new sets are "TV"'s with tuners and thusly, they also introduce lag.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 9252 Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 37" W is still going strong. Got from Costco in mid-2007. Only issue is that the VGA input can't handle 1080p. The display renders, but it flickers like it's having trouble syncing. I need to skim the thread to see if this is a configuration issue. The DVI works great so I still love the monitor.
post #9243 of 9252 Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
+1....letting the kids use it for Xbox360 and PS3 these days though....

Serves it's purpose over 3 years after purchasing it....Actually the best behaved of all the Westinghouse LCD panels I've owned/currently owned.
post #9244 of 9252 Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Picked mine up on black friday 2006 and have used it for many hours a day since. Just noticed a small amount of mottling on the screen so I most likely will replace it soon. Best electronics purchase ever.
post #9245 of 9252 Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstu View Post

I'm having what appears to be a banding issue - two horizontal lines near the top surrounding a lighter band going the length of the screen. At first I thought it was image retention from using Firefox a lot so I did all of the typical fixes but nothing worked.

Is Westinghouse still extending the warranty on these for this issue?

Apologies to everyone for bumping this old thread.

CSTU, did you or anyone else have any luck with Westinghouse and the 7 year warranty? I have a LVM-37W1 with some issues, wondering if that model is also covered. Thanks.
post #9246 of 9252 Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll be waiting forever for a repair, sometimes parts take months upon months.....so they will honor the warranty but its going to take a very long time for them to honor it.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9247 of 9252 Old 01-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

You'll be waiting forever for a repair, sometimes parts take months upon months.....so they will honor the warranty but its going to take a very long time for them to honor it.

Thanks for your reply HeadRusch. It's unfortunate their customer service / tech support stinks.

My LVM-37w1 looks terrible for normal TV and movie viewing. Too much light bleed on the corners (looks like flashlights) and blacks look more gray than black. Good thing it works well enough as a computer monitor. I'll just run it into the ground and upgrade when it dies.

I also own a w3213 that looks fine for TV, but the picture isn't very sharp, kind of fuzzy really. Decent enough for the bedroom.
post #9248 of 9252 Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using mine as a computer monitor for going on 5 years now, and its been on almost every day, 12 to 16 hours per day. Its only fault is that its specs are ancient and it gets image retention on the darker grey colors (but oddly enough none of the other colors, its all about grey for me)......it wont die

Problem is, i've decided 37" is too big for a desktop, you can see pixels if you look, particularly in games is where you notice it. 32" seems to be the max ideal size at 1080p or higher you'd want to go.

UPDATE:
Well after reading that the cheap Westinghouse 32" LED sets have almost no lag (1-2 frames), which should be about the same as the Westy 37w1 I was using, I've decided to upgrade. Slimmer, lighter set....smaller by a few inches but better for a desktop. Hopefully its another winner. FYI its a set at Best Buy and its ridiculously cheap....worst case is I hate it and drive it back to the store.

post #9249 of 9252 Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Almost six years, over 9000 posts and over million views, that must be somewhere close to record thread on this forum?
Mine still works fine and with good HD source it doesn't look bad at all. Fantastic computer monitor, so disappointed my new TV can't even compare in quality on PC input. I have wireless keyboard/ mouse, so I can seat far enough even for larger screen. That clouding shown in the pictures above, could this be some kind of sheet of plastic (polarizing film?) that is wrinkling up? I wonder how difficult would be to fix it?
I'll keep mine as long as it works and even then will try to fix it myself.
post #9250 of 9252 Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
Bumping thread to tell you that my Westy 37", used as a daily computer monitor for over 5 years, has officially bit the dust. Today, I was using it as always and it just blipped and turned off. For split second, I thought the power had gone out, but alas that was not the case. My last hope was to leave it unplugged for 20+ minutes, but the thing is just completely dead, including the front LED light. I guess that means it is not the backlight, but likely the power supply. I think I'll try one more thing - a new power cord before I officially say goodbye.

On the bright side, the thing put out a lot of heat and 37" is a tad too big for daily use (I've decided). I'm hoping to replace it with dual 32"ers but not looking forward to trying to track down another tv that handles the 1:1 pixel mapping / computer use as well as the Westy.

Now past the drywall hump - Arizona Basement Build

post #9251 of 9252 Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbin View Post

Bumping thread to tell you that my Westy 37", used as a daily computer monitor for over 5 years, has officially bit the dust. Today, I was using it as always and it just blipped and turned off. For split second, I thought the power had gone out, but alas that was not the case. My last hope was to leave it unplugged for 20+ minutes, but the thing is just completely dead, including the front LED light. I guess that means it is not the backlight, but likely the power supply. I think I'll try one more thing - a new power cord before I officially say goodbye.
On the bright side, the thing put out a lot of heat and 37" is a tad too big for daily use (I've decided). I'm hoping to replace it with dual 32"ers but not looking forward to trying to track down another tv that handles the 1:1 pixel mapping / computer use as well as the Westy.

i replaced mine with a panasonic IPS screen

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #9252 of 9252 Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

How is the text on your Panasonic? I heard the panels dont do 4:4:4 so doesn't that mean a lot of text will look fuzzy? I'm not sure if the Westy we..well..I'm still using..does it or not, but Ihave had no complaints with the fonts in the past 5+ years.
I bought a 42" lg with passive 3D that worked fine once you labeled the HDMI input you were using as "PC", where it does a native and reduces as much processing as possible.....but 42" was too big and LG doesn' tmake a 37" (perfect size for me) to replace it with.

32" is an option but its too expensive with the 3D and super-thin bezel.......

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page