OFFICIAL SAMSUNG LN-S26",32",40",46" thread(QUESTIONS,Calibration, ETC.) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I did see the 4692D at Best Buy and Circuit City. I was not impressed by the PQ at BB. The picture looked VERY grainy (excessive dot crawl?) which I hope was due to a poor feed. This was most pronounced on the clip of "24" which also made the picture on a Pioneer 5060 look bad (but not as bad). DNIe causing artifacts? No way to know since you can't disable DNIe on the 4692D. The picture did look better at CC (not as grainy), but I believe they had the set hooked up to an upscaled DVD loop and not a true HD feed.

What is this dot crawl you mention?? and what is grainy??

I noticed someone else said this about the 4692d(that it was grainy). so what exactly is this?

EDIT: well i just read that dot crawl is only present when using composite video and only on analog sources so i think you worded that wrong when you said the 4692d had dot crawl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Closest example of dot-crawl that I could find:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7552574

The problem existed on a 1080i feed over component inputs.
post #273 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 02:37 PM

wikipedia.org

It states dot crawl does not exist for digital component signals

EDIT: in other words, best buy was definitaly not using a analog source for their feed and was also defiitaly not using a composite connection so you werent seeing dot crawl.

But i did hear from soneone else in another forum(maybe it was you) that the ln-s4692d looked grainy
post #274 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej3131 View Post

how does SD look on this set? and if yu commenton this, what connection settings did you use for it?

And what about black levels at night?

And viewing angles in a dark room?

How are dvd movies with this set?

Mike, I am a newbie in the world of large plasma and LCD's . My weeks of research consisted of reading this forum and comparing the knowledge I learned with my experience of dozens of trips to local stores to confirm or deny finding of other members for my own well being. I ended up with this set for a small vacation home I own in the center of the state - I do not have cable but realized that I can pickup all of the major networks from Fort Myers, FL about 50 miles away as the crow flies. One of the reasons behind my purchase was that I really did not want to have to worry about the weight of the unit on the wall, energy consumption, and most importantly the old burn in problem as the OTA content always has the network bugs on-screen - I also did not want to mess with a 100 hour burn in procedure the plasma guys talk about.

At the end of the day this set had blacks that rivaled and even surpassed most plasmas, it was non-reflective, bright as day, and the colors popped, so in the truck it went.

Your question: the black levels at night - they look great, go to a local store a night an turn off most of the surrounding sets. I purchased this set because of the black levels.

Viewing Angles: no problems at all, at least 170° although I would not sit at at that angle, heck what set will anyone watch at that angle.

DVD's look great as well - now the local races and basketball games over the weekend look better but they are true HD - upconverted DVD's are not as good, I really can't respond intelligently to this.

SD - Looks bad after watching HD - how bad, like a normal TV but bigger - as I said my programming is OTA so most all the stations I get in SD also have HD feeds. that is all the input I have now, I know it probably was not that iformative but I wanted to give you the courtesy of my response.

My two gripes so far is no zoom levels on OTA broadcasts and no TV guide.

Overall I am very satisfied.

Hope this Helps.
post #275 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM

hmmmm i see, good review. How does 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 look?

My tv is getting shipped in from NY tomorow so ill be able to do some researching on this thing myself tomorow
post #276 of 3302 Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
How concerned should I be about dead pixels?? Really considering ordering that 3292D off of onecall.com but man I'm afraid to
post #277 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:

hmmmm i see, good review. How does 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 look?

My tv is getting shipped in from NY tomorow so ill be able to do some researching on this thing myself tomorow

Looks "stretched to me" on the set, but always looked like that on every set I have seen. I like people to have normal looking heads. You can zoom it way in and it looks like normal aspect again, but in that mode you lose the top part of screen. Again, it all works like every plasma/lcd that I have played with in past few months.

You asked earlier about SD, and I like it better than my old Sony CRT - colors are certainly better. Obviously, the further you are from the set the better SD will look (I'm sitting at 10'). SD is as good on this set as SD that I saw on Panny plasmas. Of course it pales in comparison to HD, and that's the case for every HD set I looked at over past few months.

I don't think you are going to be disappointed with the set. I have been chatting with several folks who also bought the set and all are extremely happy with the PQ. Just be sure to lower the bulb intensity under power saving features, else you will think it's a lemon right off the bat.
post #278 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 07:03 AM

Quote:

Looks "stretched to me" on the set, but always looked like that on every set I have seen. I like people to have normal looking heads. You can zoom it way in and it looks like normal aspect again, but in that mode you lose the top part of screen. Again, it all works like every plasma/lcd that I have played with in past few months.

I dont think you can use the zoom mode with HDMI, can you try??

Quote:

You asked earlier about SD, and I like it better than my old Sony CRT - colors are certainly better. Obviously, the further you are from the set the better SD will look (I'm sitting at 10'). SD is as good on this set as SD that I saw on Panny plasmas. Of course it pales in comparison to HD, and that's the case for every HD set I looked at over past few months.

you have the 46" right? and what connection and setup are you using to view SD??

Quote:

I don't think you are going to be disappointed with the set. I have been chatting with several folks who also bought the set and all are extremely happy with the PQ. Just be sure to lower the bulb intensity under power saving features, else you will think it's a lemon right off the bat.

Why should i do this, what does this do to the PQ? also, what should i lower it to?

Anybody want to share any settings that theyve had luck with?
post #279 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I dont think you can use the zoom mode with HDMI, can you try??

you have the 46" right? and what connection and setup are you using to view SD??

Why should i do this, what does this do to the PQ? also, what should i lower it to?

Anybody want to share any settings that theyve had luck with?

I have my DVD player hooked up via HDMI and I can zoom between 4:3, zoom1, zoom2 modes just fine. It filled the screen perfectly. I could have used my VCR zoom if I wanted, but the TV zoom works ok so I used that.

Yes - I have the 46". Your going to laugh, but I have used coaxial for the SD all weekend (cable guy comes today to upgrade me to HD package so finally get to see what this baby can really do). If the PQ is equal for SD after he's done, I will be very happy.

Well, by default the TV comes with the bulb in max intensity. I have no idea why they put the bulb intensity control buried under the Power Saving menu instead of the Picture Control menu. Anyway, I reduced it to the second lowest setting (as in second darkest) and it looks AWESOME. Go back a few pages in this thread and some guy posted settings for the 40" model - worked really good for me but probably are some slightly better settings - hopefully you can figure them out and post them here.

One issue I had (not with TV), but my significant other decided she didn't want the "BLACK MONOLITH from 2001: A Space Odyssey" mounted on her pretty living room wall. So, I had to go looking for a huge armoire to hide it in. Found a nice one. It cost an arm and leg, but hey if she lets me put TV where I want then it's all good.
post #280 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I have my VCR hooked up via HDMI and I can zoom between 4:3, zoom1, zoom2 modes just fine. It filled the screen perfectly. I could have used my VCR zoom if I wanted, but the TV zoom works ok so I used that.

wow what type of vcr has hdmi? lol. You watch vhs tapes via HDMI?

Quote:

I reduced it to the second lowest setting (as in second darkest) and it looks AWESOME.

then what wopuld the lowest settings be, if the second lowest is the darkest?

Have you notcied any granyness or fuzzyness like (only 1 or 2 people are saying)????
post #281 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:

wow what type of vcr has hdmi? lol. You watch vhs tapes via HDMI?

then what wopuld the lowest settings be, if the second lowest is the darkest?

Have you notcied any granyness or fuzzyness like (only 1 or 2 people are saying)????

Crap - meant DVD player not VCR. Sorry, didn't get much sleep last night as you can tell.

Don't use the darkest, use the second to darkest - hope that's clear.

If you mean grany/fuzzy in SD, well yeah if your like 5 feet away. What HD set isn't grainy/fuzzy in SD? Maybe we are talking about different things here. DVDs are VERY clear. I can hardly wait to see a true HD feed.
post #282 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:

If you mean grany/fuzzy in SD, well yeah if your like 5 feet away. What HD set isn't grany/fuzzy in SD? Maybe we are talking about different things here. DVDs are VERY clear. I can hardly wait to see a true HD feed.

true. does this tv accept 480i via HDMI with your dvd player. Also, are you using a upconverting dvd player with that, and if so what resolution are you upconverting to?
post #283 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:

true. does this tv accept 480i via HDMI with your dvd player. Also, are you using a upconverting dvd player with that, and if so what resolution are you upconverting to?

I have a (also bought new on Friday) Panasonic DVDS52S DVD player, upconverting to 720p. It's not a top-end DVD player, but it sure did produce good PQ.
post #284 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platfinger View Post

I have a (also bought new on Friday) Panasonic DVDS52S DVD player, upconverting to 720p. It's not a top-end DVD player, but it sure did produce good PQ.

Do you think that your DVD player will do a better job upconverting than the LCD TV it self? All you need is a good progressive scan DVD player and your TV will take care of the rest. Your upconvereted signal gets processed again by the TV, so what is the point of using an upconverting DVD player?
post #285 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 09:57 AM

Well i never saw a dvdplayer that had HDMI that wasnt an upconverter. The reason i would want a dvd like that is because of the all digital connection (hdmi). I dont want my dvd going through (digital to analog back to digital) conversion, so i would want an hdmi all digital connection.

EDIT:and i havent saw a DVD player that didnt upconvert that had HDMI. And even if i were to use an old progressive scan dvd player, i wouldnt use the progressive button on it because the tv will most def do a better job at deinterlacing
post #286 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol1 View Post

Do you think that your DVD player will do a better job upconverting than the LCD TV it self? All you need is a good progressive scan DVD player and your TV will take care of the rest. Your upconvereted signal gets processed again by the TV, so what is the point of using an upconverting DVD player?

I tried it both ways just now (i.e. 480i coming from DVD player and TV converting VS. 720p coming from DVD player), and I can't see any PQ difference.

One thing that I did notice is that if I let the DVD player upconvert, I get black bars top and bottom and the TV will not let me zoom (no options at all). If I let the TV do conversion, then I can zoom to full screen. I did not notice this before for some reason. Ok, maybe that's what you meant earlier Mike?
post #287 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 AM

so the tv accepts 480i via HDMI????

hyou shouldnt be getting black bars if you dont get black bars when not upconverting
post #288 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platfinger View Post

One issue I had (not with TV), but my significant other decided she didn't want the "BLACK MONOLITH from 2001: A Space Odyssey" mounted on her pretty living room wall.

LOL on that one!
post #289 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Some updates on my LN-S4092D:

I have my Sony progressive scan DVD player (480p) hooked into the TV via component and I'm quite impressed. No jaggies. Colors are rich. Dark detail is very good.

I had previously reported my SD picture seemed soft. So to get a sharper digital SD picture: I turned digital noise reduction off on the TV and switched my digital cable box's 4:3 override from 480p to 'default' which sends a 1080i signal to the screen via component. (I guess the cable box upconverts the SD.)

SD now looks good on most channels. Much sharper. (Lifetime still looks bad. Maybe it's their feed, but who cares anyway, it's Lifetime. )
post #290 of 3302 Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Taking a chance and preordered the 3292D off of Vanns.com I liked the 46 inch at CC so I can't imagine it being any difference in PQ
post #291 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 AM

well i just found out that on my Samsung 46" lcd that i should not use hdmi for SD digital/analog channels. It looked horrible. i thought something was wrong wtih my tv at first when i had it connected via HDMI and turned on the standard digital/analog channels. It looked hideous, like it was chopped up and very blocky and lines going through the picture. Maybe it was because the Tv doesnt accept 480i through HDMI so i had to make my motorola box upconvert the signal to 480p and maybe the box isnt a good scaler. Whatever the reason was, it sucked.
I hooked a svideo cable in after and got a very nice smooth picture for the standard chanels.
Sound is very good with HDMI though. and my dvd's looked pretty good with HDMI
post #292 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavman1 View Post

Congrats on the new set!

Yes, we are talking about the same thing - OTA HD content but zoom1 & zoom2 are greyed out. Has anyone else expierenced this?

Most TVs don't let you "zoom" HD source material, particularly over HDMI. But why would you want to "zoom" or stretch HD material anyway? Its already 16:9.
post #293 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post

Most TVs don't let you "zoom" HD source material, particularly over HDMI. But why would you want to "zoom" or stretch HD material anyway? Its already 16:9.

There are plenty of HD channels that still show upconverted SD material which will have pillarboxes. Worst case would be pillarboxed and letterboxed -- argh! An easy example is ESPN HD which regularly has SD material that is pillarboxed with ESPN's custom (and annoying) pillarboxes with vertical grey lines and "ESPN HD" in text.
post #294 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

There are plenty of HD channels that still show upconverted SD material which will have pillarboxes. Worst case would be pillarboxed and letterboxed -- argh! An easy example is ESPN HD which regularly has SD material that is pillarboxed with ESPN's custom (and annoying) pillarboxes with vertical grey lines and "ESPN HD" in text.

Right, forgot about ESPN...
post #295 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM

Just picked up a Samsung 4092 a couple of days ago. So far, looks great overall but a couple of issues.

1) Loss of detail in dark scenes. Have tried calibrating using different contrast, brightness, and color temp settings but not much an effect on the problem

2) In zoom 1 mode, there sometimes is a horizonal mismatching of the bottom 1/5 of the screen. The problem usually only lasts for a few seconds.

Only problem in my setup would be that I'm using rather crappy quality component cable ( my cable box doesn't have an HDMI out), but I'm not so sure cable quality has anything to do with the issues with dark scenes. Anyone else having these problems?
post #296 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 02:35 PM

dont even think about HDMI unless you watch HD all the time. I plugged a HDMI cable into this samsung and the Standard definition digital/analog channels were hideous. They were horribly bad.

I think it was because this set doesnt accept 480i over HDMI so i had to set my cabkle box to output 480p and maybe the cable box was just a bad Deinterlacer.

Component or svideo cables look nice with Standard definition though

Anyway, try turning your brightness up. that helps detail in dark scenes
post #297 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

well i just found out that on my Samsung 46" lcd that i should not use hdmi for SD digital/analog channels. It looked horrible. i thought something was wrong wtih my tv at first when i had it connected via HDMI and turned on the standard digital/analog channels. It looked hideous, like it was chopped up and very blocky and lines going through the picture. Maybe it was because the Tv doesnt accept 480i through HDMI so i had to make my motorola box upconvert the signal to 480p and maybe the box isnt a good scaler. Whatever the reason was, it sucked.
I hooked a svideo cable in after and got a very nice smooth picture for the standard chanels.
Sound is very good with HDMI though. and my dvd's looked pretty good with HDMI

It sounds like you are saying it was terrible in 480p as well as 480i.

Did you try turning the 4:3 Override OFF?

I watch very little SD and it is all Digital; but still this is interesting. I read a review and they didn't mention this; I wonder if it is a defect.
post #298 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

dont even think about HDMI unless you watch HD all the time. I plugged a HDMI cable into this samsung and the Standard definition digital/analog channels were hideous. They were horribly bad.

I think it was because this set doesnt accept 480i over HDMI so i had to set my cabkle box to output 480p and maybe the cable box was just a bad Deinterlacer.

Component or svideo cables look nice with Standard definition though

Anyway, try turning your brightness up. that helps detail in dark scenes

I already have the brightness at the highest setting.

Contrast: 80
Brightness: 100
Sharpness: 30
Color: 50
Normal Color Temp
Power Saving Off

Still having a problem with dark scenes. Watching The Ring 2 on HBOHD and still little detail in darks.

On the other hand, if switch over to ESPN, I'll get blinded by these settings!
post #299 of 3302 Old 05-03-2006, 09:00 PM

Well anothr night and another review.

I noticed that the blacks in this samsung are still pretty good. the only thing that seems to bother me with the blacks is that they are perfect pitch black with the black bars on top and bottom. But in the actuall movie when there is black hair or black shirts and the person is moving(slowsly or fast), i see purple dots everywhere and it is very noticeable.
Turning the color tone from cool1 to normal fixed it alil bit but i can still see a lot of purple in moving black video.

Is this normal on a lcd tv to have the black bars be perfectly black but the moving blacks or the black in the middle be purple?

Another thing i noticed is there is alittle "grainyness/sandy looking" to this tv. What picture setting can you change to reduce granyness?

Quote:
It sounds like you are saying it was terrible in 480p as well as 480i.

Did you try turning the 4:3 Override OFF?

I watch very little SD and it is all Digital; but still this is interesting. I read a review and they didn't mention this; I wonder if it is a defect.

Well yes i tried turning 4:3 override off and it doesnt work because this tv does not accet 480i over HDMI i think, because when i set it to 4:3 override = off, the tv said no signal on SD.
Where did you read a reviewe and what did it say? can you send me a link? i wanna get to the bottom of this because the picture was so chopped up and horrible using hdmi with SD.
post #300 of 3302 Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 AM

Would Game mode work over HDMI sources (like PS3) in Samsung LCD TV's ??

Is a 1920x1080 PC signal a 1080p source for a 1080p LCD (through HDMI)

Would it be a 1:1 mapping??... I'm thinking about newest Sapphire HDMI graphic card

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page