OFFICIAL SAMSUNG LN-S26",32",40",46" thread(QUESTIONS,Calibration, ETC.) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3302 Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey damol what are the brooklyn stores? i got my 4692 from datavision in new york for a great deal.

Quote:

I can tell you that some there are not good. It's pretty easy to research merchants - lots of sources online and especially look at the BBB website. Don't look at number of starts, etc. but rather read the negative comments and try to see a common theme.

What makes a store good or not? your buying the same tv right?

I got mine from datavision, anybody ever hear or order from them or hear any reviews from datavision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3302 Old 04-26-2006, 10:23 PM
RKA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, it seems like my LN-S3241D has a mind of it's own (firmware issue?). It does a few strange things that I can't explain.

1. It seems to put 4:3 material into stretch mode (16:9) all by itself. one minute I'm looking at a zoomed picture or a picture with bars on the sides, and suddenly I'm looking at a stretched and distorted image without any input from me (not even changing channels, settings, anything).

2. The picture settings seem to revert back to Dynamic, again, without any input on my part. I'll set it to Movie mode, I'll sit back, and suddenly it will seem like the colors are blown out. A quick check at the settings confirms it's reset itself back to Dynamic.

3. Any adjustments to the individual picture settings don't seem to be retained after the TV is power cycled. I'm guessing this is intentional by Samsung...and a particularly annoying "feature". If it doesn't save the settings, it's of little purpose to allow us to change it in the first place. /rant

BTW, I noticed a few talking about DNIe in this thread. While you can't turn it off, it does shut off if you use Movie mode (per the manual). If you turn on DNIe demo mode, and flip to Movie mode, you'll see that it shuts off (no difference between the left and right side of the screen).

Okay, so I bought my set about 3 weeks ago from CC. Unless someone has some advice for me, I might be taking this back for an exchange this weekend. My only fear is...if there is a firmware issue causing these problems, the next TV I get may well have the same issue (effectively wasting my time with an exchange). Any insight in these issues?
post #183 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 AM

I went down to CC today to check out the Samsung LN-S4092D, and much to my delight they had it setup right next to the Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1, which until now was easily the best looking LCD I had seen. They were showing a recorded Giants-Dodgers from ESPN HD game off an HD TiVo connected via component video. I didn't have time to ask them to switch over to a DVD, but since I watch a lot of sports, the broadcast they were showing was fine with me.

First, let me say that both sets looked excellent, or at least they did after some tweaking from the ridiculous defaults. They both had good black levels, vivid colors, and attractive bezels. The Sony displayed noticeably more detail in shadows, but I thought the Samsung had a more dynamic, three-dimensional look. Each set had its strong point on colors -- the Sony had better reds, but the Samsung had better greens. And the image on the Sony looked slightly overcast compared to the Samsung, though I'm not sure which was more accurate. While neither showed any significant degredation at normal positions, the viewing angles on the Samsung were slightly better than the Sony. Overall, the Sony probably had slightly better picture quality, but it was very, very close. More tweaking, possibly with the service menus, could definitely close the gap somewhat.

I won't recap the specs here since everyone probably knows them, but personally I'd rather have 2 HDMI inputs than 1 HDMI plus a CableCard slot. I should mention that the Sony required much less adjustment than the Samsung, though this isn't a big deal when you actually own the television. For movie watching, I would think the Sony has a bit of an edge due to better detail in dark areas, but I think the Samsung would be just as good for sports or other bright content. Ultimately, the $500 premium in MSRP for the Sony doesn't seem worth it after seeing both sets side-by-side, and I think I'm going to get the Samsung.
post #184 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej3131 View Post

What makes a store good or not?

Just a couple off the top of my head...

Whether or not they will ship your product when promised, or hold it indefinitely (or cancel your order) if you don't order an extended warranty or other "extras".

How good their customer service is (can they even be reached immediately, or do you leave a message and never get a call back and are they rude when you actually need assistance?). Most likely, this is someone operating a "store" out of their garage.

Yes, these things apply to some Brooklyn stores. Go look at some reviews for yourself. Personally, when I see that 1/4 of the customers had major issues, I run the other way.
post #185 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsen View Post

I went down to CC today to check out the Samsung LN-S4092D, and much to my delight they had it setup right next to the Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1, which until now was easily the best looking LCD I had seen. They were showing a recorded Giants-Dodgers from ESPN HD game off an HD TiVo connected via component video. I didn't have time to ask them to switch over to a DVD, but since I watch a lot of sports, the broadcast they were showing was fine with me.

How did the fast motion look on the two panels? I didn't see any blurring when I went to CC, but they weren't showing sports, just the crummy loop.

Thanks!
post #186 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 AM

Anyone know what version of HDMI these sets are using?

Also the sets advertise 12.8 billion colors, that's a strange number 30bit color = 1billion, 33 bit color = 8.5 billion, so 12.8 is something weird like 33.5ish bit color, so not sure how their getting that number.
post #187 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
For movie watching, I would think the Sony has a bit of an edge due to better detail in dark areas

What settings improves detail in dark areas?????

Quote:
First, let me say that both sets looked excellent, or at least they did after some tweaking from the ridiculous defaults.

so what tweaking exactly did you do on the samsung and in what mode???????

Quote:
Just a couple off the top of my head...

Whether or not they will ship your product when promised, or hold it indefinitely (or cancel your order) if you don't order an extended warranty or other "extras".

How good their customer service is (can they even be reached immediately, or do you leave a message and never get a call back and are they rude when you actually need assistance?). Most likely, this is someone operating a "store" out of their garage.

ok datavis.com(datavision in new york) had very good customer service(no holding, very polite, answered every one of my questions and then more), is shipping right now as i expected and got a tracking number. Plus i got this for a very cheap price.
post #188 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
How did the fast motion look on the two panels? I didn't see any blurring when I went to CC, but they weren't showing sports, just the crummy loop.

I didn't see any blurring on either panel, but I think Jeff Kent did after getting plunked in the head with that pitch. I should mention that I use an LCD (Dell 2005FPW) for gaming and don't notice any blurring, so I may not be as sensitive as some people on this matter.

Quote:
What settings improves detail in dark areas?????

The 40XBR1 has excellent dark detail in the 'Standard' mode with slight adjustments to contrast and brightness. I could clearly see towels crumpled in the shadows of the Dodger's dugout, and wrinkles in the black hats and fleeces of the Giant's players. Some of these details weren't visible on the LN-S4092D, though it had an excellent absolute black level.

Quote:
so what tweaking exactly did you do on the samsung and in what mode???????

I adjusted the contrast, brightness, color, color temperature, and sharpness. I don't remember the exact settings, but I found the color temperature was best on 'Warm 1', and I had to turn down the color level quite a bit to avoid having them be oversaturated. I set the contrast fairly high, the brighness a little under halfway, and the sharpness down around 20. I was mostly using the 'Standard' mode; I also tried turning on the game mode, but it seemed to suppress shadow detail more and looked less natural for human subjects.
post #189 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post

Okay, it seems like my LN-S3241D has a mind of it's own (firmware issue?). It does a few strange things that I can't explain.

1. It seems to put 4:3 material into stretch mode (16:9) all by itself. one minute I'm looking at a zoomed picture or a picture with bars on the sides, and suddenly I'm looking at a stretched and distorted image without any input from me (not even changing channels, settings, anything).

2. The picture settings seem to revert back to Dynamic, again, without any input on my part. I'll set it to Movie mode, I'll sit back, and suddenly it will seem like the colors are blown out. A quick check at the settings confirms it's reset itself back to Dynamic.

3. Any adjustments to the individual picture settings don't seem to be retained after the TV is power cycled. I'm guessing this is intentional by Samsung...and a particularly annoying "feature". If it doesn't save the settings, it's of little purpose to allow us to change it in the first place. /rant

Okay, so I bought my set about 3 weeks ago from CC. Unless someone has some advice for me, I might be taking this back for an exchange this weekend. My only fear is...if there is a firmware issue causing these problems, the next TV I get may well have the same issue (effectively wasting my time with an exchange). Any insight in these issues?

I have the S3241d and this is not normal behavior that I know of. How do you have it connected? I just have SD cable set top box, with coax plugged into the ANT 2 of my TV. No problems.

Are you using HDMI?
post #190 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:

ok datavis.com(datavision in new york) had very good customer service(no holding, very polite, answered every one of my questions and then more), is shipping right now as i expected and got a tracking number. Plus i got this for a very cheap price.

The track number means nothing till it gets to you. Check everything very carefully, to see that got factory fresh stuff. They can even reseal bags, etc..and make it all look right. Check the twist ties on cables, etc, to see if they've been reused. Check cable ends for wear, where it's been used/plugged in. They are notorious for selling open box stuff, display items, etc. Like you get it and the box is obviously been opened and their are finger prints all over your brand 'new" unit..etc. They then spike you on the return for restock, etc..fee. Some people get through this with a new unit, and a great deal..etc. Good luck.
post #191 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 12:12 PM

so nobody knows if these LCD's are using HDMI 1.3 or not?
post #192 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:

The track number means nothing till it gets to you. Check everything very carefully, to see that got factory fresh stuff. They can even reseal bags, etc..and make it all look right. Check the twist ties on cables, etc, to see if they've been reused. Check cable ends for wear, where it's been used/plugged in. They are notorious for selling open box stuff, display items, etc. Like you get it and the box is obviously been opened and their are finger prints all over your brand 'new" unit..etc. They then spike you on the return for restock, etc..fee. Some people get through this with a new unit, and a great deal..etc. Good luck.

Did you mean Datavision was notorious for selling open box stuff???? dont they have to state it in the description of the website if the product is open box or not???? it stated new and Plus i asked them if it was open boxed and they said it wasnt.
Considering this Samsung has just came out, i dont think it is open box?

How would i know if twist ties have been re-used??
i dont think there is any cables shipping with this tv, but should i check the tv inputs, and if so, how? what do they look like hwen they are weared?
post #193 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM

The LN-S4696 is back up on samsungs website - with a release date of "June". Does anyone know the MSRP of this set?

Doug

PS - I just ordered the 469D. I know its last years model but I'll put up a review when it comes in anyway. I need a digital cable ready set and didnt want to wait the 2-3 months for the 4696.
post #194 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 12:46 PM

hey doug, there is a 4692d version that just came out this month that is ten times better than last years samsung 469d
post #195 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:

hey doug, there is a 4692d version that just came out this month that is ten times better than last years samsung 469d

I know, but the 4692D doesn't have a QAM tuner, which unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me. I may be cheap, but I only pay about $15 a month for cable, and with a QAM tuner it allows me to get about 15 HD channels. Without the tuner, I would have to rent a set top box (which I hate) and would have to subscribe to digital cable at about $50 a month for the cheapest option.

I debated waiting for the 4696D but the cost is probably going to be out of my budget for the time being, and I haven't liked watching standard def cable on the 1080p's I've spent time with so far. I know the 469D is old tech, but I honestly think a lot of the stat differences between the 469 and new models is marketing hype and am not entirely convinced the picture will look night and day better if you calibrate both and put them side by side. However, I have been wrong from time to time.

Doug
post #196 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoneMaster View Post

The LN-S4696 is back up on samsungs website - with a release date of "June". Does anyone know the MSRP of this set?

Doug

PS - I just ordered the 469D. I know its last years model but I'll put up a review when it comes in anyway. I need a digital cable ready set and didnt want to wait the 2-3 months for the 4696.

Ln-s4096 looks amazing to me.......wow.. does anyone know when Ln-s3296 comes out???? if so, is it going to supports upto 1080p????
I was going to buy Ln-s3251 this week but I should wait till Ln-sxx96 line comes out..
post #197 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Did you mean Datavision was notorious for selling open box stuff???? dont they have to state it in the description of the website if the product is open box or not???? it stated new and Plus i asked them if it was open boxed and they said it wasnt.

i dont think there is any cables shipping with this tv, but should i check the tv inputs, and if so, how? what do they look like hwen they are weared?

Make sure you read the return policy for Datavis and TVs here:
http://www.datavis.com/webapp/commer...ort.d2w/report

and note that once you've signed for the TV, you "are signing acceptance of the product as is..." etc...
post #198 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:

but I honestly think a lot of the stat differences between the 469 and new models is marketing hype and am not entirely convinced the picture will look night and day better if you calibrate both and put them side by side. However, I have been wrong from time to time.

And this time you are 100 percent wrong. compare the old models with the new ln-s series and you will see why. its already getting rave reviews in every forum ive been to and saying its the best lcd out
post #199 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Make sure you read the return policy for Datavis and TVs here:
http://www.datavis.com/webapp/comme...port.d2w/report

and note that once you've signed for the TV, you "are signing acceptance of the product as is..." etc...

I skimmed through all that stuff. i dont see nothing bad, do you????
post #200 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:

http://www.resellerratings.com/selle...2.html#reviews

It really doesn't matter what they say. It's what they do that counts. Hopefully, everything will work out ok. Obviously, for some people it does. And those who are fine with the transaction, aren't apt to go out and make a big deal nor spend time to notate or record that...like you might if you were really upset with the experience.

Your TV hopefully "will" ship with at least a powercord, manuals/warranty info, remote and batterys. You can tell if the ends are all scuffed on the cable and the TV where it's been inserted and pulled off a few times. You can tell if the bags obviously have been torn open. You can usually tell if the power cord has been re-coiled and re-tied. You can tell if the remote has been used (finger prints, etc). And you can most certainly see if there are finger prints all over the frame of your brand new out of the box TV.
post #201 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 PM

The old LNS with the new LNS yes - big increase; the new LNR (ie, 469, not468) with new LNS - not as much. I've read a couple reviews stating how much better the LNR's are compared to the old LNS models, much like people are saying the new LNS are better then their predicessors.

With LCD technology out all this time, I just dont see them coming up with technology that magically makes the picture 4x better between 1 generation. 170 vs 178 degree viewing angle? 3000 vs 5000 vs 7000 contrast ratio? Do you really get a 20% better CR just because you increase the pixels? It just sounds like they do a standard increase with the numbers every year.

I will agree, the new S's are much better then last year - and the reviews reflect it; lots of negatives from last years's s's, lots of positive for the new crop. However, this past years R have very few reviews, but the ones I've seen have been incredibly positive. Its the tv the head of TVA owns, and even on this site there is a comparison where the R469 far outshined the S and was considered equal to the sony (never mind that this was an in store comparison which gives you limited results, though so are the stories about the 2006 LN-S's if we are splitting hairs).

Now, I'm prepared to be wrong and would be happy to be proven so - I'd like to continue to see the LCD market to continue making progress. But, it just reads like a lot of marketing hype to me. Will the new models be better? Absolutely. Will they be 10x better? Doubtfull. I can always return the set if I'm not happy with it and exchange for the s4696 (again, the s4692 doesnt have QAM, so its the R469D or S4696D).

Doug
post #202 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:

and even on this site there is a comparison where the R469 far outshined the S and was considered equal to the sony

Whjere is that comparison? and are you talking about the s4692d?? if you are, i find that very unlikely.

Quote:

With LCD technology out all this time, I just dont see them coming up with technology that magically makes the picture 4x better between 1 generation. 170 vs 178 degree viewing angle? 3000 vs 5000 vs 7000 contrast ratio? Do you really get a 20% better CR just because you increase the pixels? It just sounds like they do a standard increase with the numbers every year.

If you drop all the statistic talk and worrries, and go out and see the ln-s4692d for yourself, you will see that it is aot better than the previous gen. this tv isnt just bigger numbers, its also better results.

Quote:

never mind that this was an in store comparison which gives you limited results, though so are the stories about the 2006 LN-S's if we are splitting hairs

All the people who gave in home reviews said the same thing as the in store reviews on the ln-s new series
post #203 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoneMaster View Post

Doug

I was right about the release date for the 96D .

I would say it will cost $ 300 to $ 400 more than the 92D.
post #204 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Whjere is that comparison? and are you talking about the s4692d?? if you are, i find that very unlikely.

If you drop all the statistic talk and worrries, and go out and see the ln-s4692d for yourself, you will see that it is aot better than the previous gen. this tv isnt just bigger numbers, its also better results.

All the people who gave in home reviews said the same thing as the in store reviews on the ln-s new series

No, the comparison was comparing the old R to the old S, the former having a good picture and black levels, the latter not. I'll take a look at the store, but I haven't had very much luck evaluating a tv under bright flourescent lights and without being able to spend a few hours with calibration settings. However, the fact that it looks good even under these conditions is probably a testiment to its quality. I doubt I can find a store that has both the R's new S's of the same size set up to do a fair comparison, although I can try setting up my R and then heading to circuit city to see if I am blown away by the new sets.

I guess if I'm happy with the picture on mine I get I should probably stop looking at other tv's and this forum and just enjoy the thing before I find all the flaws in it!

Doug

PS - thanks for the advice. You've got me thinking about the 4696D and how far I can strech my budget. I'm going to keep a close eye one it.
post #205 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:

However, the fact that it looks good even under these conditions is probably a testiment to its quality.

What conditions and what tv are you talking about?

theres a good deal at datavis.com
post #206 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:38 PM

I mean under B&M store conditions. Under bright flourescent lights beside a number of poorly calibrated televisions.

I recently returned a Pioneer 5060hd, but was absolutely stunned by how much different the picture was at my house, under normal conditions when calibrated compared to the store. At the three stores where I viewed it the picture looked slightly washed out, and lacked punch. However, I bought it anyway based on the reviews, and couldnt believe how much depth I could get out of the set once I applied some other users settings.

I've found a few good deals, but I'm going to give my money to TVA. After how great they were with the first set I bought (pioneer) and considering how much they went out of their way to make my return easy and painless, I wouldnt want to shop anywhere else. Hopefully they will being stocking the new Samsungs soon - I want to hear what they think of them though I cant imagine it would be different then the positive feedback seen in this thread.

Doug
post #207 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

The new MSRP for the LN-S4696D is $ 4 799. In a few months the MSRP for the 92D will be lowered.

http://www.sec.co.kr/PCS.svl?CMD=PavvHiddenSpeaker
post #208 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damol1 View Post

The new MSRP for the LN-S4696D is $ 4 799. In a few months the MSRP for the 92D will be lowered.

http://www.sec.co.kr/PCS.svl?CMD=PavvHiddenSpeaker

Lots of LCDs out in a few months adding competition as well, so that drives prices down also. MSRP won't mean much in a few months if these manufacturers keep them inflated like that.
post #209 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I skimmed through all that stuff. i dont see nothing bad, do you????

It will probably work out.. but how I read that stuff, is that you need to be prepared to receive your TV when it arrives.. completely unpack it... hook it up, turn it on to make sure it works... and all before the delivery guy leaves. Hopefully your delivery person is a nice guy..

Otherwise, if you sign for it, you've got the TV "as-is".
post #210 of 3302 Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM

oh really, where does it say that???? and what does this mean?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page