Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoocher312 View Post

The input info box often pops up on the screen while I am just watching TV...happens on both S-Video from SD Tivo and over HDMI from the DVD player. Sometimes it happens 10 x an hour, sometimes it goes days without happening. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have the same problem. I originally thought it was due to OTA signal drops but I just got a xbox360 and hooked it up via HDMI and it happens with that as well (even more so).

Have you made any progress with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAB View Post

LCD TV: SHARP AQUOS LC-32D40U - "no picture" syndrome

In the course of approximately 12 hours, three individuals ( "psiclne", "toddhigg", "drew 2000") advised that they had exactly the same problem I have encounted with this model; i.e., red light turns green, picture does not come on, only audio. Further down in the thread two other individuals ("perks007", "addy") advised that they have exactly the same problem.

If one extrapolates, i.e., owners of this particular model in relation to members of this forum who have posted to this thread, the problem appears to be relatively widespread.

Is anyone aware if Sharp has acknowledged that there is a systemic problem and if the company is prepared to address it in a consistent manner?

I also have the exact same problem. My LC-32D40U is about 15 months old. The problem started about 2 months ago and seems to be getting progressivly worse.

I would describe my problem a little differently. When I turn the set on I can clearly see that the backlight has come on and the display shows "input 1" text on the screen. The backlight then goes off in about 1/2 second. The green ligit stays on and the picture is visible under close examination (as mentioned in another post). So to me it seems like there is a problem with getting the backlight to *stay* lit.

My current workaround is to turn the set off, then on again and repeat the cycle until the backlight stays on. It took about 10 cycles last time, so now I am just leaving the set on 24/7. I did call Sharp and open a case number, but they adminited no problems to me. I am dragging my feet on paying for a repair since this is such a common problem.

I think Sharp should do the right thing and recall these units. It's clearly a design flaw.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM

Has anyone ever been able to properly calibrate any of the new Sharp Aquos HD component inputs to 6500K in both the gains/bias adjustments. I recently purchased a large number of lc-26d43U, and Sharp is now telling me after I recieved the units that they cannot be calibrated "in the field". This of course is different from what they were telling me previous to my purchase.

I am a fully certified calibratior and have calibrated many a Sharp display. The service menu's in the new ones are vast, but do have structure similiar to previous models. I have been able to interpret some of them but not the pages for a good white balance/grey scale. Sharps documentation shows the need for a laptop/PC to be connected to it to set correct greyscale points. The extremely limited documentation I have recieved from Sharp was like getting blood out of a stone.

Sharps technical support is terrible and they have totally left me and the company I work for hanging. I'm looking for some assistance from anyone who actually knows how to calibrate the new Sharps. I am about to return them but as I mentioned I purchased ALOT of them.

Thank you
~MG~
Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szidikm View Post

I also have the exact same problem. My LC-32D40U is about 15 months old. The problem started about 2 months ago and seems to be getting progressivly worse.

I would describe my problem a little differently. When I turn the set on I can clearly see that the backlight has come on and the display shows "input 1" text on the screen. The backlight then goes off in about 1/2 second. The green ligit stays on and the picture is visible under close examination (as mentioned in another post). So to me it seems like there is a problem with getting the backlight to *stay* lit.

My current workaround is to turn the set off, then on again and repeat the cycle until the backlight stays on. It took about 10 cycles last time, so now I am just leaving the set on 24/7. I did call Sharp and open a case number, but they adminited no problems to me. I am dragging my feet on paying for a repair since this is such a common problem.

I think Sharp should do the right thing and recall these units. It's clearly a design flaw.

I sent an e-mail to Sharp Canada earlier this month (July 2007) and additional info a couple of days later. I received an automated acknowledgement but have yet to receive an actual reply after two weeks!

I called their customer "service" (and I use the term loosely) and requested the name of the President. The rep claimed that neither he nor anyone in the office knows who that is.

I'll never buy a Sharp product again.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:00 AM

Hi all,

I have had some trouble with my Sharp LC-37D40U recently. I get these thick horizontal bars (range in color from yellow to black) that pop up randomly on the screen. It happens more frequently when the screen is bright (majority of white on the screen).

At first I thought it could be the cable signal for comcast but the bars still appear when using the comcast box's setup screen. I have tried coaxial, component, and hdmi, and the problem occurs with all outputs from the box

Does anyone know what is causing the problem?

I recorded a quick clip and posted it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapDgBRRUR8
Old 09-04-2007, 09:34 AM

LC37D40U owners:

Have you tried to use powerstrip successfully? If so, can you post the settings?

thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 AM

Hello knowledgeable AVS folk,

Here's the situation that I'm having on my 32D41U, When I power it up there's a relay click and the screen comes on almost instantly followed by another smaller relay click and the screen goes black, but the audio can still be heard. If I power the set off and on I can usually get the set to come back on and stay on for hours, only sometimes this can take up to 8-10 tries of power cycling. (can't be good for the set). I also noticed when I was looking at the back of the set, that through the vents on the left side there's a small rectangular orange LED blinking in there. I can only imagine that it's a possible board diagnostic light of some sort? Anyone had any similar issues to this? Possible solutions? I tried e-mailing sharp support and they just told me to unplug it for an hour to clear the firmware that didn't do anything. Maybe MIKE53 can help me.

Thank you all,
John
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perks007 View Post

UPDATE Number 2 (for this issue):

Circuit City returned for a second time. I was informed that the part they needed to replace was currently not available and had no availability date. They expected the part to become available in 3-6 months. Needless to say I was not happy. The repair guy said Sharp suggested check all the connections and reconnecting various ribbon wires and verifying all connections. The tech spent about 40 minutes checking all connections (disconnecting and reconnecting). Put the TV back together. It's been about month since my last post but I have not experienced the problem since then. I had circuit city order the part just in case so if and when it comes in, we can replace if needed.

It's now mid Sept and the issue persists for me. We are just learning to deal with it. I can get it to work sometimes with a few power cycles sometimes I just have to wait until the next day. I have purchased the 'extended warranty' from Circuit City and am actually hoping that it goes out completely so that I can get them to aknowledge there is really an issue. I have also sent letters to Sharp customer service asking about the issue (realizing that is propably a futile attempt). Will update, if and when I ever find out anything new.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 PM

i am now experiencing blackouts
Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM

Has anyone had a problem with the sound all of a sudden becoming soft?

For example I used to have the volume at about 15 and that was more then loud enough to watch TV. Now I seem to have to go all the way up to 35 or 40. The TV is about 10 months old
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Hello Everyone.

I looking into a Sharp Aquos LC26D40U that had 3 lines(one each Light Blue, Magenta and Yellow) running vertically(top to bottom) on the right hand side of the screen that disappear completely after the unit warms up.

I have read a post on Cnet from a user that had the same problem, sent it back and had it fixed. There was no mention as to the cause. I called a Sharp service center to get some additional idea of what is going on and the best hey would do is tell me to bring it in. I would like to find out what the problem is and if it would be worth repairing without spending the $100-$150 to have someone else make that determination.

Any thoughts from the AVS community.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:38 PM

I had an interesting conversation with Sharp regarding my Aquos LCD TV today (LC26D40U). This is the set that I use in the bedroom. I can not get any of the low power digital channels in South Bend, IN (25.1/57.1/69.1) on it. These channels just recently began broadcasting digitally. Sharp first said that it must be an issue with the broadcast stations. I explained that my Samsung STB (DTB-H260F) on the other TV pulls in a great signal on all three of these channels from the same rooftop antenna. They again said that it couldn't be the TV. They then explained to me that the Sharp was not designed to get ALL digital OTA channels. I am confused - an LCD tv with integrated ATSC tuner is not supposed to receive all OTA ATSC broadcasts? What gives? I didn't think that I bought a cheap LCD TV - for the price it should do it all. Am I wrong? Any advice regarding how I can get this thing to pick up these channels would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfueltexan View Post

Hello Everyone.

I looking into a Sharp Aquos LC26D40U that had 3 lines(one each Light Blue, Magenta and Yellow) running vertically(top to bottom) on the right hand side of the screen that disappear completely after the unit warms up.

I have read a post on Cnet from a user that had the same problem, sent it back and had it fixed. There was no mention as to the cause. I called a Sharp service center to get some additional idea of what is going on and the best hey would do is tell me to bring it in. I would like to find out what the problem is and if it would be worth repairing without spending the $100-$150 to have someone else make that determination.

Any thoughts from the AVS community.

Thanks!

I have this LCD TV, and I have only a single thin blue line that does this top to bottom. It comes and goes. I think I'm out of warranty so I just assumed I'm screwed.

Did anyone ever figure out what causes this problem?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 AM

Well I have the 26d40u model and here are my settings that I am still tweakin with for xbox 360 games:

Brightness 23
Contrast 50
Color 25
Sharpness 26
Tint 0
Color Temp: Cool
Backlight:14

If anyone has anything better let me know because I'm still tweaking

Electronics: DLP Projector on 7' wall, Xbox360, PS3
Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 AM

I bought the lc-32d40u in July 2006. Now it's getting some
power problem, sometimes it can not be turned on. when I press the power
button, the power light turns green, and the screen shows 'Please
wait...', but after couples of seconds, the screen turns to black, any button
on the top of TV doesn't response, the remote control can't work either....
Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 AM

I wonder if this power problem is inherent to the LC45's also? I have had mine for 17 months now with no problems. It gets allot of use too. I am keeping my fingers crossed though. It has outlasted my Denon 3910 though.

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:

It's now mid Sept and the issue persists for me. We are just learning to deal with it. I can get it to work sometimes with a few power cycles sometimes I just have to wait until the next day. I have purchased the 'extended warranty' from Circuit City and am actually hoping that it goes out completely so that I can get them to aknowledge there is really an issue. I have also sent letters to Sharp customer service asking about the issue (realizing that is propably a futile attempt). Will update, if and when I ever find out anything new.

It's now February 2008. I'm milking my extended warranty to the bone. This is the 5th call on it and so far no one has been able to fix the issue of the Picture comeing on and then going to black with only the sound. It's now been taken out of my house and the repair company admitted that this is a very common issue with this model. They said they could fix it. If they do, I'll post what they claim the issue was/is. Personally I think it's just a lemon of a TV and I won't be buying from Sharp again.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:

the repair company admitted that this is a very common issue with this model. They said they could fix it. If they do, I'll post what they claim the issue was/is.

I have pretty much the same issue except I'm out of warrenty, did they get it fixed? If they did do you know what the problem was?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My 32 D4U has the sound quitting during play. It works in the AM after being off all night but quits mid program. Sounds like a heat problem.

Any suggestions on getting this fixed? It is out of warrantee
Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat1957 View Post

I have pretty much the same issue except I'm out of warrenty, did they get it fixed? If they did do you know what the problem was?

Finally got a repair service who knew what they were doing. They came in picked up my TV and said they knew exactly what the issue was. Apparently there is a short in a lot of these TV's (they said they see all the time with this model) Unfortunately, I do not know the part that they fixed or replaced, but since they've returned my TV, the issue is gone.

Sharp however continues to deny that there was an issue with these TV's.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhigg View Post

Me, too!

I am having the EXACT same problem as the two posters above me are having with their Sharp Aquos LC-32D40u.

It's an intermittent problem, and very annoying. Usually if I power cycle once or twice the picture comes back.

I am very curious about how to resolve this, as I will have owned the tv for one year as of 3/29.

Todd

So Sharp finally sent a tech to my house to look at the tv. The tech almost immediately came to the conclusion that the inverter needed to be replaced. The part was placed on order the first week in April, 2008.

Finally, the part arrived and was installed on Monday 6/23/08. What was once a problem which occurred daily has now disappeared. Of course it took almost a year for the original problem to surface, so only time will tell if this really fixes it.

Has anyone else actually been successful in getting this problem repaired? It seems like this was a very widespread issue with this particular set.

Todd
Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Made by Orion (Sansui). Only the 37" and above ones are made by Sharp. If you own a 2006 Sharp 26" or 32" model and want to know how to enter the service menu to tweak the picture settings, PM me and I will give it to you. This code works for ALL Orion-made televisions, including the $50 Durabrand 13" CRT TV at Wal-Mart.

I'd like any info you have on picture settings please.

Also, my picture keeps going out but sound remains. This has been happening for over a year, and could usually be resolved by turning off, gently wiggling the tv, and then turning back on. Today after repeated attempts, I can no longer get a picture at all. I've researched and found that this is a common problem with this tv due to faulty screws that come loose over time and affect the connection. Do you know anything about this? I am trying to find documentation (like a bulletin from Sharp or some type of recall notice) that this is a widespread problem because I don't think that I should have to pay for repairs resulting from low quality assembly. So far no luck, only other Aquos owners claiming they have encountered this problem.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jen
Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiclne View Post

New to the forums and I did a seach and found nothing - maybe I'm not searching the correct words -

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-32D40u - its been a year now and im starting experience problems where when I turn on the TV, the red light turns green (on the tv) and the picture never comes up, there is audio. The screen just stays black. I have checked different inputs and still the same thing, so I know its not a loose input cable. Sometimes if I turn it off and turn it back on the pictures comes on, sometimes I have to do it several times before the picture comes on. Does anyone know whats causing this issue??? Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue with my Aquos LC-32D40U. In the past, turning it off, GENTLY wiggling it, then turning it back on usually worked. As of today, that no longer works either. After many attempts, my picture will not come on for more than 2 seconds anymore. I've spent the past few hours researching this, and it seems that the problem may be some type of faulty screws on an internal panel that come loose over time. Ridiculous that we have to deal with this. I called Sharp to get info on my local Sharp authorized repair shop and also asked the rep if it could be repaired at their expense and he gave me a run-around answer that basically meant no. I am calling the repair shop tomorrow (by the way, closet "local" is over an hour away)... any advice on how to get this repaired at no cost to me?

this won't let me post a URL so go to www dot fixya dot com then follow that with /support/t218409-picture_goes_out scroll down a bit to post headed "Best Solution" by westgirl
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 AM

I have a Sharp LC32D40U set that has performed well over the last year or so. I've had a very low end DVD player that recently died and so I replaced it with a relatively low end Koss DVD player. Although I'm connecting it to the same inputs as the former DVD player, as soon as I change the Input Setting to Input 1 and turn on the DVD player, the picture is nothing but a rapid black and white scrolling scene. The sound works fine. I've tested the DVD player on two other TV's and the player performs wonderfully. I've changed cables, inputs and DVD's but nothing seems to work on the LC32D40U. I've contacted Sharp and they are unable to correctly diagnose the problem. The only way to best describe what I'm seeing on the screen is as though, back in the old days, when you wanted to watch a VCR tape, you tuned your TV to channel 3. If you had your TV set to channel 4, sometimes you'd get a scrolling distorted picture...that's similar to what I'm seeing on the screen when trying to use the DVD player. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be happening? Solutions?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM

The LC32D40U is a dog. Never again.