(EDIT: sorry, wrong thread)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 595 Old 04-07-2006, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Similiar story so I started reading and had to see if I had posted here about this and forgotten about it!

Returned a POS 30" Slimfit Samsung and got this baby. I'm not the afficiando like many of you are, but this screen is fantastic. I can see some color issues so a calibration is in order once i get DVE or Avia. But, watching Baseball in HD, or Sith (ironicially one of my test DVDs along with the INcredibles) it was great with my upscaling DVD.

I was able to swing a 10% off code at CC off their sale price on the unit (lower than what's on the web) so for what I paid I think I did well. The Samsung didn't look right to me in teh store, and after my Slimfit issues I decided I had enough of Samsung and their products and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwingding View Post

I am a new LC-32D40U owner. My previous set was a Samsung CRT Slimfit POS that I grew more and more frustrated with every day, till the power supply finally went belly up.

My ballpark was $1500-2000 for a new HDTV. 32" is about as big as the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) will permit. If I still had a working HD unit I would have probably waited till I could get a hold of one of the Panasonic 37" plasma units (and a divorce), but I needed a TV. Anyway, I wound up buying this Sharp unit that y'all are talking about.

I'm driving it through the HDMI port from a new Yamaha HTR 5990, which is fed by a DirecTivo HR10-250 and a Samsung DVDHD850 upscaling DVD player.

My impressions from the unit that I saw in CC and BB were that the colors looked great, and after I got to fooling around with the remotes, I realized that the brightness was too low in the store, making the blacks lose the detail that others mentioned in their evaluations in the stores.

Knowing full well that Sharp is a major manufacturer of LCD TVs, and already having a smaller Aquos, I figured that what I saw in the store was irrelevant, and when I calibrated the unit using DVE at home I would see the true story.

During calibration I realized that I really wished the setup menu had adjustments for individual color, but I was able to properly sync the color with the DVE disc and the supplied filters. The brightness pluge, however, only displayed 2 of the 3 vertical bars, something my previous TV did, too, and it makes me wonder if it is the DVD player and not the TV. Still, I was able to adjust the brightness properly according to DVE. Contrast is another issue - I was not able to achieve any "blooming" at all in the picture, and am unsure if this is a CRT only issue. I therefore judged contrast on my own. Sharpness was easily calibrated, too.

With the unit having completed basic calibration, I put Wednesday's LOST in HD up on the screen and was immediately blown away. I believe my words were "Holy sh*t". Hurley has some really bad skin! After enjoying a few minutes of LOST I turned to the DVD and put in my "reference" disk - "Revenge of the Sith". I decided to do all of my testing in 720p because I really can't see any difference in 1080i on my previous set (and forgot to do any testing in 1080 on this one because I was so happy in 720p)

Giddy would be an appropriate description of my emotion while watching the initial spaceship battle scene, in 720p. I cannot imagine being happier with any $1500 32" LCD. There is no comparison between this and my previous HD unit as far as color and PQ are concerned.

The one thing that is going to take some getting used to is black level. Black just really isn't "black", but I knew this going in. With no picture on the screen and a dark room, the screen still has some glow to it, whereas my CRT was truly black. While viewing a show though, I can't tell that black has less black in it.

It was easy to setup, standard set of menu choices, wonderful picture.

Tonight I'm going to watch King Kong. This isn't the forum for it, but you really should look at an upscaling DVD player if you don't already have one, and are, like me, waiting for the HD DVD/Blue Ray war to be over. They totally transform your DVD experience.

post #93 of 595 Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM

How refreshing. A meaningful review.
post #94 of 595 Old 04-07-2006, 02:30 PM

Schwingding: In your perspective, is the 6m/s response a marked improvement in fast-moving scenes? Also, am curious how the Trident chips handle SD and upresing/scaling thusfar?
post #95 of 595 Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a LC-37D40U and just love it . However, it has some features that I don't understand .

What is OPC? The manual says that it "Automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen". Does this negate the brightness value and the backlight value on the "Picture" menu? Does anyone know what words are abbreviated to"OPC" ?

Is there any closed caption when mute capability? Is there some short cut for closed caption?

What is Quick Shoot? The manual says that it is to "...view fast action video more clearly", but I don't understand what it is really is doing? Should I leave it off until I see ghosting?

Should there be any difference in picture quality/sound quality between using the HDMI connection to the cable box versus component connection to the cable box?

Thank you,

James

post #96 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Is there a reason why Sharp gimped the 32 inch with a limited menu?
post #97 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV101 View Post

Schwingding: In your perspective, is the 6m/s response a marked improvement in fast-moving scenes? Also, am curious how the Trident chips handle SD and upresing/scaling thusfar?

I must report that I did notice a little jitter today on one high action scene shot in HD 720p - Las Vegas from last night as the camera panned across a scene quickly. So this is slightly different than where a single object moves across the screen at fast action and most of the screen remains static. It could easily be MPEG2 compression from DirecTV. However, during the entire viewing of King Kong and Revenge of the Sith on a Samsung DVD HD850 in 720p, I saw nothing but glorious LCD goodness. Other than that, which if I notice it again will bum me out, this set is wonderful so far.

Addendum.....the set has a setting in the setup for "Film or Video" mode. It is poorly explained but the manual states that you may experience smoother action while watching DVDs with the mode set to "Film". I figured that had to do with the higher data rates associated with DVD, so used Film mode to watch that HD LOST episode where I first noticed the jitter - it resolved the problem completely. Now to try to find a good explanation of what those 2 modes really mean...
post #98 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 12:43 PM

I just played with the 37" Sharp it is much better than the 32" and the menu is better, it was right of the box, so I couldn't make a good judgement yet, I'll have to go back to the store and check it out again.
post #99 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 01:08 PM

What are the advantages of waiting to purchase the lc32d41u? I was about to purchase the lc32d40u at circuit city. Should I wait for the new model? I hear it adds a dvi-i connection, but I don't even know why I would need a dvi-i input.
post #100 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellran View Post

What are the advantages of waiting to purchase the lc32d41u? I was about to purchase the lc32d40u at circuit city. Should I wait for the new model? I hear it adds a dvi-i connection, but I don't even know why I would need a dvi-i input.

Well, the main reason to have one would be to connect a pc with a higher end video card
post #101 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 10:38 PM

Got my LC-45d40u last week, really enjoying it. The wife bought a new console, so I had to shut everything down
in order to switch out. After I reconnected every thing, I can not get the audio back. I'm using a Comcast Motorola
HD/DVD with component cable to input 1, and rca cables to audio input 4 (just like it was before I changed out consoles). I have tried everything I could think of to get the audio back no luck. I've got a HDMI cable on the way from monoprice, but it won't be here for a couple of days. The Comcast guy had a little trouble getting this same setup to work, but he figured it out. I was watching, but he was moving so fast I didn't fully understand. There must be a setting I'm missing.
Any ideas?
post #102 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycat View Post

Got my LC-45d40u last week, really enjoying it. The wife bought a new console, so I had to shut everything down
in order to switch out. After I reconnected every thing, I can not get the audio back. I'm using a Comcast Motorola
HD/DVD with component cable to input 1, and rca cables to audio input 4 (just like it was before I changed out consoles). I have tried everything I could think of to get the audio back no luck. I've got a HDMI cable on the way from monoprice, but it won't be here for a couple of days. The Comcast guy had a little trouble getting this same setup to work, but he figured it out. I was watching, but he was moving so fast I didn't fully understand. There must be a setting I'm missing.
Any ideas?

I figured it out...I should have used input 2 for both video and audio. I didn't realize that it had both video and audio inputs. Been a long day, just missed the obvious.
post #103 of 595 Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK now WTF
Circuit City's website finally updated with the 37"
but now there are TWO new Sharp 37" models

-Sharp 37" LCD HDTV LC-37SH20U (NEW)

-Sharp AQUOS 37" LCD HDTV LC-37D40U

the LC-37SH20U is MUCH cheaper then the D40U, yet it doesn't have a AQUOS brand with it
is it new? I never saw it on Sharp's site or when Mike53 was talking about the new TVs

the specs look the same across the board, only differerince I see is the 37SH20U is a bright platinum color
post #104 of 595 Old 04-09-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

OK now WTF
Circuit City's website finally updated with the 37"
but now there are TWO new Sharp 37" models

-Sharp 37" LCD HDTV LC-37SH20U (NEW)

-Sharp AQUOS 37" LCD HDTV LC-37D40U

the LC-37SH20U is MUCH cheaper then the D40U, yet it doesn't have a AQUOS brand with it
is it new? I never saw it on Sharp's site or when Mike53 was talking about the new TVs

the specs look the same across the board, only differerince I see is the 37SH20U is a bright platinum color

The LC-37SH20U has a higher refresh rate 12/ms vs 6/ms on 37d40u and a lower contrast ratio 800 vs 1200 on d40u model. Go with the d40u model, better specs and frame is better.
post #105 of 595 Old 04-09-2006, 05:54 AM

Actually the LC-37SH20U is made in China and is 8ms
post #106 of 595 Old 04-09-2006, 05:54 AM

It is also my understanding that the panels are not the same. I believe the panels are from a Chinese supplier that Sharp has entered into a sharing agreement with not Sharp manufactured panels. I'm pretty sure Mike53 indicated these sets are being marketed in an attempt to compete in the lower end LCD market against the likes of Westinghouse and company.
post #107 of 595 Old 04-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Hey Folks,

I got my 32D40U a week ago friday and I'm still mixed about it. I come from a background of developing video tools (I currently write film and video compositing software).

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off dynamic contrast. It totally destroys the gamma of the display and can change drastically from scene to scene. Has anyone found a way to do this? I can't seem to enter the service menu through the only means I found on the net. By cranking up the brightness and contrast to their highest levels I seem to unintuitively get a much better picture with less flattening and wash out in scenes with greatly varying intraframe brightness.

The other problem is that as I change digital channels my reciever (HK AVR 325), via coax digital, drop out. I need to power cycle the reciever or switch inputs for the audio to come back again. Bueller?
post #108 of 595 Old 04-09-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

Actually the LC-37SH20U is made in China and is 8ms

Every website I see says 12/ms refresh rate not 8/ms. Where did you get your info?
post #109 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC from the original 2006 Aquos thread, the SH line of non-Aquos Sharps will sport Chi Mei (Chinese OEM) panels, but for now most sizes are sporting Sharp panels that were in last year's Aquos. That deal with Chi Mei is fresh and isn't expected to lead to production TVs for some time.
post #110 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 AM

A few days later with the D40U and I've discovered a few other things. It sure seems to me like the brightness and contrast controls need adjusting with different types of shows. Tweaking for the best picture while watching Star Wars might result in a HD broadcast program appearing washed out. The "corrected" settings from the DVE disc have proven to be too dark for my preferences, it seems as if most scenes are shot at twilight.

I don't know what to do about the "backlight" option because messing with it also messes with brightness and contrast, and while I do love the dramatic picture quality, I cannot get it out of my head that the black isn't actually black.

I also discovered that my receiver - the new Yamaha HTR 5990 was by default set to upscale video sources to 1080i. Turning this off yielded a dramatically better picture from the already upscaled DVD and the HD 720p and 1080i sources. I have no native 480i or 480p sources going into the TV - my direcTIVO box upscales to a min 720p.
post #111 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 10:54 AM

which 40U do you have schwing?

Never, ever satisfied with what's out there..
post #112 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhawaii View Post

which 40U do you have schwing?

I have the LC-D32D40U
post #113 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 AM

anyone know if Schwing's concerns are also on the 37D40U?

post #114 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 12:38 PM

I've just exchanged my LC-45D40U because the fan in the first one was making a droning noise that I was obsessing on. The "new" second unit does make a low frequency droning noise but is much less perceptible.

Is this a 45D40 trait?
post #115 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 02:13 PM

anyone know if there are technical differences between the 37D40U and the 32D40U, aside from the size? are they like the same type of panel, just bigger, etc etc...

post #116 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhawaii View Post

anyone know if Schwing's concerns are also on the 37D40U?

Some HD material does appear darker in my set, but it does not bother me. Dark scenes are really dark. It does pose a problem while gaming on the xbox360. I had trouble seeing where I was driving in project gotham 3. Im considering altering my settings by turning up the brightness a few notches.
post #117 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 PM

Yes there are technical difference between the 37D40U and the 32D40U, 32D40=lame
37D40U=decent
post #118 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 07:11 PM

jamescsub

The info came from Mike53 who works for Sharp, but it sounds like he got it wrong.
post #119 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

Yes there are technical difference between the 37D40U and the 32D40U, 32D40=lame
37D40U=decent

lol, is that your opinion? please share why..

post #120 of 595 Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM

teamhawaii

Check them out in the stores and see for yourself.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page