AVS Forum banner

Sharp LC-xxD40U Series Owner's Thread: NO PRICE TALK!

114K views 594 replies 191 participants last post by  ps2baseball 
#1 ·
Please post any reviews, questions, or problems pertaining to your D40 set here.

#427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsprague /forum/post/0

I tried messing with the audio and it still does not work. Called Sharp and they said it was a defective port. I still think I must be doing something wrong.

Sometimes, it really is a defective "thing". Sadness

#430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsprague /forum/post/0

Turns out it was the port on the TV. Exchanged the TV for a new one and everything works perfect.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and some times the durn port is dead! Good deal, and good luck with the set!

#432 ·
Purchased Aquos LC-37D40U about 3 mo.s ago. Generally happy except presets on video stuff are pretty bad. Anyway, it just stopped. Last night it was playing happily when it shut itself off. Tried pulling plug and cycling power button, but green pwr led just keeps blinking. No reference in manual to anything blinking. What gives?

#433 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwritter /forum/post/0

Purchased Aquos LC-37D40U about 3 mo.s ago. Generally happy except presets on video stuff are pretty bad. Anyway, it just stopped. Last night it was playing happily when it shut itself off. Tried pulling plug and cycling power button, but green pwr led just keeps blinking. No reference in manual to anything blinking. What gives?

Still have your warranty? Depending on where you live, you can get free in home service.

Speaking of the D40U, I was looking at the back of my 32D40U and noticed two small pannels. I took the pannels off and one had a USB port! What's that for?

#438 ·
I'm pretty sure it's normal, at least what I am hearing.

There is a setting in the menu for instant-on/off or delayed-on/off, which I suspect keeps part of the set energized when powered off. In my case I took the more conservative 'off' setting.

When I turn off the TV, about 5-10 seconds later I hear one or two relay clicks. No snap crackcle though. It may sound differently if the setting is 'on'.

#440 ·
Hey all, just received a new 37D40U yesterday and am noticing a possible problem. I am seeing a dim white blurred horizontal stripe that stretches all the way across the screen. It's probably about 4 to 5 inches tall and is really only noticeable when there's a really dark scene or the scene is completely dark. I'm using an Oppo 971H upscaler DVI to HDMI. I don't really notice this at all while in the TV input but am still experimenting with that.

Has anyone experienced this type of issue with this display or DVD player.

Dan

#442 ·
I just bought the Costco version of this television. Occasionally I hear a loud pop from the unit. It's often enough that it is annoying. I heard someone say this is from one of the components inside the machine.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the volume or frequency of the pop?

#444 ·
More questions!

What is the danger of keeping my backlight on max? I know it can decrease the life of the backlight, but is there danger to the screen or coloration? What is the lifetime of the battery?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first LCD and I'm a bit worried.

#446 ·
Just bought the LC-32D40U on Saturday and have started noticing some of the items people have brought up in this thread, like red faces on some channels but not on others (ESPN HD vs Discovery HD) and the washed out look from any viewing angle other than straight on. Would anyone recommend taking this back to CC and picking up a Sony S2000 model for a little more? If not the Sony, what? Thanks for any responses

#447 ·
I returned my first for a second. All the problems I was experiencing are gone. Seems I got a lemon.

The red push is fixed by properly calibrating your television with a utility like DVE. I did so and now greens are vibrant and lush and reds are sharp and proper.

I saw the Sony 40" Bravia and was not overly impressed. It has sharper imagery on a slow picture, but pixelizes much worse on a fast picture. It is 8ms, if I'm not mistaken. Aquos is 6ms, and has some funky Quick Shoot optimization for fast pictures.

If you're playing video games I think the Aquos is best. If you're watching television, you'll have to decide if you'll trade sharper picture with slightly better color for funky pixelization during fast movement.

Personally I hated the pixelization I saw on the Bravia. I play lots of video games, so that kind of imagery is unacceptable, for me. The slightly better color and still pictures, and slightly larger size of the Bravia weren't worth $300 extra bucks and pixelization, imo.

I did about one month of research, an hour or more a day, coming to this conclusion, so I feel pretty secure in this recommendation.

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Littrell /forum/post/0

I exchanged it today for a Samsung LN-S3251D

Ouch! I exchanged a "lemoned" 3252D for the HP 37"(Sharp). My Sammy went through 3 mainboards with continued failure. Maybe we'll each have better luck in reverse!

#450 ·
No dead pixels so far on my new set.

The only complaint is that the top left corner seems to be alot brighter than the rest of the screen. It's so bright it's grey. I've tried adjusting backlight and contrast, but no go.

It seems LCDs are finnicky. I think I can live with it, as it isn't apparent unless the picture has alot of blacks. But I'll probably end up selling it next year when I have enough money to buy a better set.

#451 ·
I was posting an issue I had with getting my PC to hookup with the Sharp 37" LC-40C37U from Costco and just finished reading this entire thread. I'm optimistic again. I was starting to think I would have to return another TV.

I purchased a Sony Bravia v2500 40" 1080P tv and returned it because I wasn't satisfied with the VGA to VGA PC connection (didn't even come close to filling up the screen.

Then got the Sharp and using the VGA connector to a DVI to HDMI cable did not work. Obviously because there was no analog to digital conversion happening. Then yesterday purchased a VGA to component cable thinking this would surely work. No go. Then today I'm thinking this didn't work because I had the resolution maxed out on my VGA card when playing with the Sony and it is still at that setting, and the Sharp is not able to handle that setting through component.

I have ordered a few video cards with DVI output to arrive tomorrow and tonight I might hook up my "mini" PC to another monitor and drop the resolution and try it on the Sharp again to see if the VGA to component will work. If not I will install the video cards tomorrow night and try the DVI to HDMI which has worked for some people in this thread.

I don't need for this to be perfect. Basically I use this mini PC to play music through my stereo and the occasional surfing an checking email.

Thanks to everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.