Sharp LC-xxD40U Series Owner's Thread: NO PRICE TALK! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please post any reviews, questions, or problems pertaining to your D40 set here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 03:21 PM

Is the Samsung LN-S3251D comparable to the Sharp LC-32D40U?

I guess my question is how do I compare Samsung dynamic contrast to Sharp contrast?

I was going to buy the Samsung today but I see where the Sharp is now available at CC.
post #3 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 PM

Is this new D40 better in some specific ways than the previous 32" models? Has it cut back on any features?

Kelton
post #4 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 04:43 PM

This is NOT good. I have a blue dot in the center of my screen, is this normal???
post #5 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2baseball View Post

This is NOT good. I have a blue dot in the center of my screen, is this normal???

How big is it?
post #6 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravel0524 View Post

Please post any reviews, questions, or problems pertaining to your D40 set here.

I have a couple of questions for d40u owners. I bought a 37d40u at Fry's as a demo but it did not come with a manual. Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

1) What is that rectangular plastic cover by the cable input? When remove it seem like an input for an sd card of some sort.

2)On the options menu , how do you enable the color systems?

3)Out of the box, then hooking your DVD through components. Is it me or all the "default " AV mode pretty useless as it all had too much red . I been playing with the setting and I am still not satisfied with the result. I don't have a calibrating disk except for thx optimizer. The weird thing is on the OTA channels those AV mode looks acceptable very little to none tweeking. Also I did reset this TV more than once to factory defaults and used different DVD players , then used both components inputs.

In comparison with an old sharp(37gb5u) that I used to have for a month or so before returning it. I would say that the 37d4ou has a better black detail, HD picture, more features, better looking( I like the piano black) that being said dvd watching is a disapointment.
post #7 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM

Sharp tvs are not known for their good DVD play back.
post #8 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

Sharp tvs are not known for their good DVD play back.

My old 37GB5u was very good IMO.
post #9 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 06:29 PM

It is very small, and really only noticable when I turn my cable box off and leave the TV on.

Otherwise, I can't see it.

Is there a away to fix this?

Loving this TV by the way. I got hte 32".
post #10 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngeno View Post

1) What is that rectangular plastic cover by the cable input? When remove it seem like an input for an sd card of some sort.

Not sure, it might be an input of some sort. I can see no mention of it in the manual.
post #11 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It is very small, and really only noticable when I turn my cable box off and leave the TV on.

Otherwise, I can't see it.

Is there a away to fix this?

Loving this TV by the way. I got hte 32".

Sorry, don't have that issue. I own the 37" and do not have a cable box yet. Just using analog cable. Not sure what would be causing it.
post #12 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Not sure, it might be an input of some sort. I can see no mention of it in the manual.

How about dvd , is yours looking good?
post #13 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Sorry, don't have that issue. I own the 37" and do not have a cable box yet. Just using analog cable. Not sure what would be causing it.

It has nothing to do with the cable box. And all black screen or black colors show it though.
post #14 of 595 Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How about dvd , is yours looking good?

I use my xbox360 as a DVD player and it looks great on this TV. I watched some clips of the Fast and the Furious to test. Can't wait to calibrate it to see how much better it gets.
post #15 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know the code to enter into the service menu? I would simply like to change some of the picture presets since the ones offered all look horrible.

I would think there is a standard code for all sharp televisions. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #16 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminac View Post

Does anyone know the code to enter into the service menu? I would simply like to change some of the picture presets since the ones offered all look horrible.

I would think there is a standard code for all sharp televisions. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

not a good idea unless you are experienced

look here for this info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6795603

please do not post service codes on the plasma forum

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #17 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post

I guess my question is how do I compare Samsung dynamic contrast to Sharp contrast?

(to be taken with a grain of salt

Samsung is playing "hide the ball" with their static contrast ratios, trying to trick people into thinking that their LCD CRs are comparable to their plasma CRs. But that doesn't mean we are without guidance.

Sony is using the exact same next gen S-PVA panel in their upcoming Bravia V line, and Sony claims a 1600:1 CR. Doesn't specify static, but its gotta be.

There isn't a lot that video processing can do to affect the contrast ratio--its very panel dependent--so my guess is that the new Sammie's have the same static ratio, or at least very close.
post #18 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to buy the Samsung today but I see where the Sharp is now available at CC.

We spec'd both on the 2005 line. 800:1 static related to 4000:1 dynamic.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #19 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 09:31 AM

So you are saying 800:1 Static equals 4000:1 Dynamic?

I just want to know what is the static equivalent to 4000:1 dynamic.
post #20 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

There's no direct correlation across models because it depends on too many variables. IE, you can't say "800:1 static always equals 4000:1 dynamic," no matter what values you insert there.
post #21 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you are saying 800:1 Static equals 4000:1 Dynamic?

I just want to know what is the static equivalent to 4000:1 dynamic.

All I can tell you is that is what the spec sheet showed. 4000:1 dynamic and 800:1 static. You could gather from that the ratio is somewhere around 5:1 but I don't think that is accurate either. Dynamic is just a way to make the numbers look better.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #22 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 07:14 PM

I got a new set tonight, it is perfect.

I haven't touched a setting and am loving it!

If you guys want a photo PM me and I will send along.
post #23 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got a new set tonight, it is perfect.

I haven't touched a setting and am loving it!

If you guys want a photo PM me and I will send along.

congrats. glad it worked out.
post #24 of 595 Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Anybody know how to enable the color system on the options menu as well as what that rectangular shaped plastic cover is on the cable input?
post #25 of 595 Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anybody know how to enable the color system on the options menu as well as what that rectangular shaped plastic cover is on the cable input?

If you're referring to the CMS (Color Management System) the old Sharp models had, Mike53 has said that they discontinued it for the new models because they switched video processing chips to Trident. I'll look into it more when I calibrate my TV this weekend. I haven't messed around with the settings because they are currently satisfactory.
post #26 of 595 Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:

If you're referring to the CMS (Color Management System) the old Sharp models had, Mike53 has said that they discontinued it for the new models because they switched video processing chips to Trident. I'll look into it more when I calibrate my TV this weekend. I haven't messed around with the settings because they are currently satisfactory.

thanks for checking it out....I don't know if it is the CMS but the options is only available or appears on input #1(dvd component) pressing menu ---> option---> Color System (6 down) . I am wondering that if it was not meant to be available ,Sharp would have taken it out .
post #27 of 595 Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 PM

Just bought the 37 d40u and love it. Just using analog cable for next couple of weeks until cable guys bring hd box, my problem is i cannot change channels, every thing works and looks fine but when i hit channel up it says "no input selection available" anyone else have this problem? Any ideas to fix?
post #28 of 595 Old 04-01-2006, 09:18 AM

As a potential LC45D40U buyer, I am concerned about the possibilities of ambient light reflections off of the piano black/gray finish, especially the frame around the LCD screen. I am not concerned about the overall aesthetics of the finish on the unit. My concern is any potential reflections from the black frame (looks like a glossy finish in the brochures) from room lighting, the screen image itself or whatever. I need your feedback. I cannot find any store models yet here in Rhode Island (BTW, a third world country at best).

My concern is based on my observations from multiple visits to BB, CC and others over the past few month (as I attempt to gather the courage to fork out major cash). For example, Samsung models that I examined have a black shiny surface around the screen. The reflections are terrible; very distracting to the viewer. It shows finger prints and looks cheap.

The sole reason I want an LCD TV (instead of plasma) is my wife and I cannot tolerate ambient light reflections, a problem with plasma glass fronts (compared to LCDs). But I don't want reflections off of a plastic frame around an LCD screen either. (I too am also disapointed that the 45D90U was canceled.)

Can any of you who own xxD40Us comment on this? >> Jim
post #29 of 595 Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF in NK View Post

As a potential LC45D40U buyer, I am concerned about the possibilities of ambient light reflections off of the piano black/gray finish, especially the frame around the LCD screen. I am not concerned about the overall aesthetics of the finish on the unit. My concern is any potential reflections from the black frame (looks like a glossy finish in the brochures) from room lighting, the screen image itself or whatever. I need your feedback. I cannot find any store models yet here in Rhode Island (BTW, a third world country at best).

My concern is based on my observations from multiple visits to BB, CC and others over the past few month (as I attempt to gather the courage to fork out major cash). For example, Samsung models that I examined have a black shiny surface around the screen. The reflections are terrible; very distracting to the viewer. It shows finger prints and looks cheap.

The sole reason I want an LCD TV (instead of plasma) is my wife and I cannot tolerate ambient light reflections, a problem with plasma glass fronts (compared to LCDs). But I don't want reflections off of a plastic frame around an LCD screen either. (I too am also disapointed that the 45D90U was canceled.)

Can any of you who own xxD40Us comment on this? >> Jim

The frame around the lcd is reflective, but it is not to the point of distracting from the image on the tv. I have my 37d40u next to a window, and during the day I can see my reflection in the frame if I look for it, but I hardly notice it while watching tv. I just pressed my fingers all over the frame (not the screen) and it doesn't collect my fingerprints, just leaves streaks that go away and are not noticable beyond 2 ft.
post #30 of 595 Old 04-01-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks for checking it out....I don't know if it is the CMS but the options is only available or appears on input #1(dvd component) pressing menu ---> option---> Color System (6 down) . I am wondering that if it was not meant to be available ,Sharp would have taken it out .

Ok, I know what you're talking about now. In the manual, it says that the color system is for selecting the optimum color system to receive. It gives the options (NTSC, PAL-M, PAL-N). The option is disabled on my tv, but I think it is because the US is NTSC. Perhaps if you plug in something that uses PAL-M or PAL-N, that option will be enabled? That is my best guess. It does nothing for PQ, which is what I'm guessing you were concerned about.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page