Spring 2006 Sharp Aquos D40/D41/D50/D90 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An earlier post indicated that the LC-45D90U had been cancelled by Sharp.

However, there are several online sellers taking pre-orders.

Does anyone know if the LC45D90U will be available in the U.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 PM

Liked: 12
It's not in the 2006 Full Line AQOUS Brochure either.

But Mike53 has alluded to a mystery 46" version that will come out in its place sometime around august.
post #123 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus_Rising View Post

I was able to get a very brief (like 1 minute) look at the 45D40U today. I was walking down the street and looked in the window of the A/V store that I go to. Near the front window they had the Sharp 37" (last year's model) set on display. When I walked by I noticed the TV was different, so I walked in to see if it was the 45D40U - it was.

First thing I noticed - it was large, bigger the the 37" Sharp they had on display. It had the high-gloss black border (about a 2") around the panel that was getting alot of reflections since the TV was facing a large window (it was distracting). In fact I could see some reflections on the panel which was annoying. The rest of the TV was a dark gray colour (Titanium), it was ok.

After looking at the set for a few seconds, something was bugging me and I couldn't put my finger on it until I realized what it was - I had seen the Sharp Aquos 26", 32" and the 37" at Future Shop many times, since they are widescreen TVs, the cabinet (and the whole TV) looks widescreen. However, when I looked at the 45D40U it doesn't look like a widecreen TV, it looks like a 4:3 TV. Weird, just weird. I don't know if it was an optical illusion or something.

I walked around back to take a look at the connectors, they're on the rear left side of the TV. There was no removable cover plate like the previous models. There's an indentation on the back panel with the connectors mounted the right side. The cables are on the left side and bend to the right at 90 degrees.

Walking back to the front of the set, they had a movie playing however it was on the end credits, so I can't comment on the picture quality. The black background appeared very good. The white text was scrolling from the bottom of the screen to the top, however it didn't appear to be smooth. The text appeared to flicker or jitter as it moved. It was very slight but it didn't look right. I had to leave at that point - so it was only a 1-2 minute look. I might drop in next week for a longer look.

I noticed you are from Ontario. I was wondering what store you visited that had the new 45" sharp, no stores in the Hamilton area have them yet.

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

post #124 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Two items:
I also viewed the LC45D40U in Nashua, NH at a CC while on a business trip on April 8. After waiting for months for Sharp to release its 2006 models (I am in the market for a 45-50 flat screen something model), I could not have been more disappointed with what I saw. The high gloss finish around the LC45D40U screen was very distracting; there was glare from everwhere. (sort of defeats the purpose of an LCD screen !!) It looks like the cheap glossy frame around the Samsung models in BB. I agree with "Morpheus_Rising" - the until looks strange; it's ugly as hell and looks real cheap. The all-important WAF rating is zero. It's not fair or meaningful to report on the PQ of this unit since it was showing a recording of sorts and every TV in the stored was on; must have been 30 big screen units in a row all blazing away. And they were mounted high on a wall and not accessible. The eyes were confused after a few minutes. After a brief tizzy-fit, I left and went home.

Second Item:
I emailed Sharp Customer Service and "strongly suggested" that they post manuals for the 2006 individual LCxxD40U new models. They said they're posted. Since I had not checked, I looked today and find that they have NOT been posted. These people are clueless.

Sharp had their chance to get my money. Now, I think I am moving on. I am waiting anxiously for the Bravia 46 which, according to a Sony Style store manager in Providence, RI is supposed to be out in May and is supposed to be 1080-I and also look identical to the exisitng line of Bravias which are pleasing to look at in my opinion. >> Jim
post #125 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I noticed you are from Ontario. I was wondering what store you visited that had the new 45" sharp, no stores in the Hamilton area have them yet.

I live in Kingston, Ontario. It was a local audio/video store.
post #126 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Eye of the beholder, James. My WAF is higher for this TV (the 37") than for any other TV we've looked at (her exact words were "I love that TV"--and there was no picture on the screen. )
post #127 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 PM

Any clue as to the release date of the Sharp LC-37D90U, I've heard MAY but is there anybody that has a clue as to early, mid, late MAY... a date would be great b/c I'm waiting.
post #128 of 2392 Old 04-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

An earlier post indicated that the LC-45D90U had been cancelled by Sharp.
However, there are several online sellers taking pre-orders.
Does anyone know if the LC45D90U will be available in the U.S.

First Post for me. Been reading these for a while. I also read Mike's post about the LC45D90U being canceled. I sent off an e-mail to Sharp and they said that "What you read on the web site is correct." In other words the press release there says May, it will be here in May. Unless James is right and they are clueless. Been waiting for this model for months.
post #129 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 09:17 AM

TNG:

The LC-45D90U has indeed been cancelled. Mike53 (a Sharp employee who posts here) told us that the decision was made because of a short of LCD production capacity...Unfortunate, eh?

The rest of the D90U series has been promised for May (which I guess means June in reality). Mike53 then made vague noises about a 45/46 coming out closer to October, along with a 52...

One big problem for Sharp (and everybody else in the business) is that prices are coming down so fast that it is getting hard for them to charge a massive premium for 1080p. The difference between a lc-37d40u and an lc-37d90u isn't going to be more than $500, or no one is going to buy the 1080p boxes (except avsforum fanatics, who understand the benefits)...
post #130 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 09:22 AM

Seems like Sharp is clueless. Their web site still shows the old discontinuted TVs 45GD7U, 45GD6U, 45GD5U, etc. and none of the new 06 models. But at least there is link to download the 06 full line catalog.
post #131 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySaxMan View Post

TNG:

One big problem for Sharp (and everybody else in the business) is that prices are coming down so fast that it is getting hard for them to charge a massive premium for 1080p. The difference between a lc-37d40u and an lc-37d90u isn't going to be more than $500, or no one is going to buy the 1080p boxes (except avsforum fanatics, who understand the benefits)...

Frankly, I am not sure that even if it does come out that it will be worth waiting for. Does anyone know if these new models will have a 1080p input? I know alot of material doesn't exist for it yet unless you are a comuter junky. Is there any "Official" spec sheet that you can point to for this?

I am banking on the 45D90U coming out. A friend in Japan just bought the equivelent model there, loves it. He picked and recomended Sharp because of his job. We both work for manufacturer of LCD Coating equipment. He has set up machines in the Sharp fabs and also at Samsung and Mastushita. He says that Sharps maufacturing is clearly superior and would not trust something from Samsung, because they do not take care of there equipement.

I am not a Sharp fanatic, just trying to get all of the info I can. My sources say that the 45 is a great TV. I hope all fo the online dealers know something that we don't.
post #132 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

TNG and Philly: Actually, it wasn't about a panel shortage. It was about competitive models in the coming 2006 lineup that would be more attractive and sales of which the 45D90U would cannibalize. Sharp USA made the decision not to bring the 45" 1080p model over, according to Mike53. Sharp Japan is still making the panels and TVs with them. We just won't see a TV here in the states based on that new 1080p panel until later this year.

So you can stop banking on the 45D90U to "come out" here: not gonna happen, as Sharp USA is not importing them. Individual retailers might get some limited quantities of the Japan equivalent, but those will be few, far between, and spendy.

Also, Mike53 confirmed that the inputs would take a 1080p/60 signal. There isn't an "official spec," there is only what Mike told us in the last thread. I suggest you take a look if you are curious because it contains a ton of information and would probably answer any remaining or new questions that you have. Everything that the collective body of AVSForum knows about the new Sharp TVs (other than what Mike) is in that thread.

Rev
post #133 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM

I just checked out the new LC-45D40U panel in Best Buy right next to last years model Sharp and the LC-45D40U was clearly better, especially the blacks.
post #134 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post

TNG and Philly: Actually, it wasn't about a panel shortage. It was about competitive models in the coming 2006 lineup that would be more attractive and sales of which the 45D90U would cannibalize. Sharp USA made the decision not to bring the 45" 1080p model over, according to Mike53. Sharp Japan is still making the panels and TVs with them. We just won't see a TV here in the states based on that new 1080p panel until later this year.

Rev: Here is the quote from Mike53 on 3/7/06 (5:48 PM):

"All other models are intact. There is a worldwide shortage of 45" panels as well as a loss for the factory for every one they would have made. We are making more of the 45D40's than we ever made of all of the previous 45" and it is no where near demand. We seriously cannot supply even opening orders for all the accounts that want it.

Until the second factory opens, we are stuck. There is a lot happening on the competitive front that will cause panel prices to tumble this summer and fall.
"

Earlier in the thread Mike53 says:

Well, I do have a bit of bad news from this morning's meeting. We are not bringing in the LC45D90U. After a lot of discussions with accounts, it is very hard to justify a $1000 bump in retail over the LC45D40U. Even though it is 1080P versus 720P and all the connectivity, these issues appear to big to overcome. Couple that with a short model life of 4 months and you have a dead on arrival model. The 4 months coincides with the opening of a new factory whcih will produce other models which you will like better.

Are you accusing Mike53 of lying to us? The "reason" you gave is NOT what Mike53 said. You quoted Mike53 correctly about the 1080p compatibility (so you must think he is a credible source), but you ignore Mike53's "reason". What gives?
post #135 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

I just checked out the new LC-45D40U panel in Best Buy right next to last years model Sharp and the LC-45D40U was clearly better, especially the blacks.

I also saw this TV for the first time today at Best Buy. Luckily they had an Xbox 360 hooked up to it as well that showed off the TVs improved response time. There was clearly less blurring (although there was a little) during fast motion than my 16 ms Sharp.

Current Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P42G25
Logitech Z680 5.1
Xbox 360
PS3
Gaming PC (Core i7 2600, GeForce 670, 16 GB RAM)

post #136 of 2392 Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Philly: Dude, you need to take a chill pill. If I accuse someone of lying, I say "that's a lie." Nor do I call someone a liar simply because they suggest that I'm wrong.

Perhaps I should have said that it wasn't just about the panel shortage. When Mike announced that they weren't bringing in the 45D90U, he gave the reason that you quoted second. You'll note that it doesn't mention the shortage at all. It talks about a short model life of 4 months due to the second factory opening. Most likely the price variance over the 45D40U is due to the panel shortage, and Sharp USA decided to throw all of its eggs into that D40U basket and wait 4 months for the new factory to supply new 1080p panels, giving them 4 months to promote the D40U without intrabrand competition.

What he didn't say was that they simply don't have enough panels to bring the model to the states. What he did say (or rather, imply through several posts) was that they made the decision to favor the later model over the D90U since supply of the D90U would be short anyway.
post #137 of 2392 Old 04-16-2006, 05:38 AM

I am currently looking at getting the european model of the LC 37D90U, which is called LC 37GE1E. I am extremely disappointed to see that we European get the shaft once more because sharp has decided to remove a bunch of input and outputs, and prolly features as well in order to give us a more expensive inferior version. Thank you Sharp, for screwing us over.

Sigh, I guess it will always suck living in crappy Europe.

Anyhow, among the input and outputs that Sharp has removed (DVI, component, digital audio out etc.) I am most concerned with the removal of DVI. I was planning on hooking my laptop to the Sharp via DVI to display a 1:1 1920x1080@60 signal.

With no DVI I will have to do with PC input and looking at the manual it seems like that the highest resolution I can get via the PC input is 1600x1200 which is a far cry from what I want. So, with the removal of the DVI input (why? Oh god why?) it seems like I might not be able to do that anymore.

Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps Mike?
post #138 of 2392 Old 04-16-2006, 06:47 AM

-=Kamikaze=-

The american model doesn't have DVI either - get yourself a DVI adapter then you have yourself DVI.
post #139 of 2392 Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Kamikaze=- View Post

I am currently looking at getting the european model of the LC 37D90U, which is called LC 37GE1E. I am extremely disappointed to see that we European get the shaft once more because sharp has decided to remove a bunch of outputs and prolly features as well in order to give us a more expensive inferior version. Thank you Sharp, for screwing us over.

Sigh, I guess it will always suck living in crappy Europe.

Anyhow, among the outputs that Sharp has removed (DVI, component, digital audio out etc.) I am most concerned with the removal of DVI. I was planning on hooking my laptop to the Sharp via DVI to display a 1:1 1920x1080@60 signal.

But looking at the manual it seems like that the highest resolution I can get via the PC input is 1600x1200 which is a far cry from what I want. So, with the removal of the DVI input (why? Oh god why?) it seems like I might not be able to do that anymore.

Can anyone confirm this? Perhaps Mike?

Good morning,
Assuming it's legitimate, the 37D90U Owner's Manual is posted here --

(sorry I can't post the URL; search for the 37D90U on abteletronics and scroll down to Download Files to locate the Operating Manual)

-- making we wonder if these two models are really the same after all. The missing outputs you mention are still there, on page 11. I hope I'm not misreading something.
post #140 of 2392 Old 04-16-2006, 09:10 AM

I already have that manual and it is for the US model, the 37D90 and there the inputs and outputs are there. I do not have a manual for the European model but I can assure you that is exists. In fact here it is on the Danish sharp site.

The European model has been scraped down in terms of inputs and sports a european digital tuner. And since it is sold in europe it prolly costs us poor fools 25% more as all electronics do down here.

The removal of DVI might convince me to wait for the Sony 40" 1080p X series comming in June. But that one will prolly cost twice as much as the sharp.

And I am not too thrilled by the removal of the two component inputs either. That could have come on handy for hooking up my Gamecube and DVD player. And the two useless SCART inputs they were replaced with don't do me any good when I want to feed the thing a 480p signal.
post #141 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 AM

I have some other questions about the Sharp LCD as well and would appreciate someone enlighting me. Lately I've read alot about NTSC color gamut reproduction on LCD's here in the forum. I hear that the new SONY X series can reproduce over a 100% of the NTSC color gamut. So I am wondering how much of the NTSC color gamut the new Sharp LC-37D90 is going to be able to reproduce.

In fact, I don't even know if this is an issue for me since I live in europe and then the PAL color gamut would be important. The funny thing is that I have never, ever heard anyone talk about PAL colour gamut on the any of the European Hi-Fi forums? Why is that? Is the PAL colour reproduction not an issue with LCD's? I can hardly imagine that being so.

Speaking of the colours I hear that the SONY X series is going to use the CCFL backlighting. And I know that Sharp has something they call 4 wavelengh backlight for the 37". So are they the same thing or not? If not then any idea how they compare to eachother? Or which is better?
post #142 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

All LCDs right now (except the discontinued Qualia 005--it used LED) use CCFL backlight. The emerging tech is FFT (flat flourescent tube). Sony and Samsung have merely developed a better CCFL (cold-cathode flourescent tube) light that they are marketing heavily for its increased color-gamut benefits. It just so happens that most people don't know that CCFL is as old as LCD itself, so Sammy and Sony are acting like CCFL is brand new and exclusive to their sets. In marketing, any incremental improvement can be major step forward. Samsung's tactics on this front are actually quite appalling, since last years LN-Rxx9D series was supposed to have the FFL backlight, and then again this year's LN-Sxx92D series. Now it looks like the 96D series might, but we'll see if they renig in August.

As for the Sharp color gamut, I've never seen Sharp promote it. Anybody else know?
post #143 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post

As for the Sharp color gamut, I've never seen Sharp promote it. Anybody else know?

Rev,

R11 and I had a fairly big blow-up over this issue in the original 2006 Sharp Aquos thread. I quote him in his reply to this question:

"Further, the LC-57GE2 utilizes a newly developed Hybrid Backlight System based on a combination of red LEDs and fluorescent tubes to expand the reproducible color gamut to 95%*4 of the NTSC color space*5. This means superb rendering of a diverse range of intermediate tones such as the bright color of healthy skin.

*4 Based on the 1976 CIE Chromaticity Diagram.
*5 Compared to the color gamut that can be reproduced when the range of reproducible colors under the NTSC color space is regarded as 100%. NTSC refers to the existing TV video standard used for terrestrial analog broadcasts formulated by the National Television System Committee.
"

Note that he refers to the Japanese version of the 57" Aquos. Mike53 pointed out that the quotes on percentage of NTSC color space differ according to how you measure it [just like everything else in HDTV!].

But, in the absence of any other data, and in the absence of honesty among vendors, this was best we could find at the time...

I also am NOT SURE that the 57" actually uses LEDs in combination with CCFL! I haven't heard anything like this since. Is this the so-called 5-wavelength system? An update from the likes of Mike53 would be very interesting!
post #144 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Meh, I am getting tired of my constant search for the best display I can buy for my money. I started off being a 100% convinced that plasma was the way to go and was actually set to buy a European version of the Panasonic TH-42PX60 which is one of the best PDP's on the market.

I reached that conclusion purely based on what I read the experts and videophiles on these forums kept saying. I was so sure in fact that I did not let the disappointing PQ of PDP's I kept actually seeing turn me off. I just thought to myself that once I got one of these babies home and fiddled with the settings then everything would be right as rain, because how could these experts be wrong? They pay more attention to these things than I possibly could.

So I based all my research on stuff I read in forums and rarely if ever went out to confirm anything with my own eyes. This was in part because of the lack of any places I can go with a good range of high quality displays.

Finally in the few last weeks or so when I had the money in hand and the PDP I had decided on was on its way to be released in the next few weeks I thought to myself that it would be rather insane to buy something without at least trying to confirm some things about it visually.

So I headed down to the best shop in my small town and had the let down of the century when I saw my beloved PDP on the wall displaying HD and leaving me with a lot to be desired. I was seconds later even more disappointed when I saw it displaying SD TV and regular DVD's.

In tried to get out of my state of shock by telling myself that it would "somehow" look better once I got it home, although I only half heartedly believed it to be true.

Then behind me on the wall were a series of LCD's displaying HD and as usual they looked really good to my eyes, as LCD's always have. LCD's just look a lot sharper and I think it might be because the pixels and pixelspacings are too large on PDP's. I can certainly see pixel structure from the distance I would like to sit from a PDP, prolly because my eyes are so damn sensitive to detail.

Seeing the so called inferior LCD's delivering a much better picture than anything that I had ever seen on a PDP kind of got me thinking. I thought that maybe this gap of difference that the experts were so adamant existed between plasma and LCD wasn't so significant after all.

So, maybe if I got the PDP and LCD next to each other and displayed the same thing there would be a difference, but if I only have the LCD to look at I can't see anything horribly wrong with the picture. In fact the colours and black levels look pretty damn acceptable to me.

And it's not like that either LCD's or PDP's are the perfect display technology, they both have far too many faults to be called that. So maybe I should just buy the best whatever I can get for my money now and settle for replacing it whenever the so called holy grail of displays comes out. Maybe it will be SED or maybe LED LCD's or 1080p PDP's of the future. Whatever it may be one thing is for sure, it still isn't here yet and it won't be for a couple of years.

I just wish there were any Sharp LCD's here that I could see and finally make up my mind. Sharp LCD's are a virtually nonexistent brand here in Denmark, but there are Samsungs everywhere. I don't like the samsungs very much and I am not too thrilled to get a Sharp blind, without seeing it first.
post #145 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 03:33 PM

This subject seems a little odd for this Sharp thread. But as I struggle to decide on whether to buy a Sharp LCD or someone else's plasma, I need to consider the environment in which any unit will operate.

I do not have air conditioning in my home in Rhode Island (many homes don't here). While this is far from the tropics, humidity (condensation) is a big problem in the summer months. After it gets warm here in the day time and then it cools, one can find a lot of visible condensation on some metallic objects (that got warm at some point in the daytime). Keep in mind, some of these units consume 300-400 watts. That's a lot of heat.

So, I fear this scenario - I envision my 45-52 inch potential HDTV operating in a warm (80 deg. plus) humid environment, getting turned off (and cooling down) and, as a result, moisture collecting in side the TV. Hey, it's raining inside the TV.

So, what brought about this new round of pre-purchase fear? Well, some plasma manufacturer specs note the max recommended humidty in which a plasma TV should be operated to be no more than 80%. That's not an urealistic humidty reading on a summer day.

Clearly, I don't know how these units are constructed. Maybe my fears are unfounded. But I would like to hear from someone who has some experience with large panel HDTVs operating in homes without AC. So, anyone have any feedback on this (besides suggesting I spend 14,000 grand plus on central air )
post #146 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Kamikaze=- View Post

Meh, I am getting tired of my constant search for the best display I can buy for my money. I started off being a 100% convinced that plasma was the way to go and was actually set to buy a European version of the Panasonic TH-42PX60 which is one of the best PDP's on the market.

I reached that conclusion purely based on what I read the experts and videophiles on these forums kept saying. I was so sure in fact that I did not let the disappointing PQ of PDP's I kept actually seeing turn me off. I just thought to myself that once I got one of these babies home and fiddled with the settings then everything would be right as rain, because how could these experts be wrong? They pay more attention to these things than I possibly could.

So I based all my research on stuff I read in forums and rarely if ever went out to confirm anything with my own eyes. This was in part because of the lack of any places I can go with a good range of high quality displays.

Finally in the few last weeks or so when I had the money in hand and the PDP I had decided on was on its way to be released in the next few weeks I thought to myself that it would be rather insane to buy something without at least trying to confirm some things about it visually.

So I headed down to the best shop in my small town and had the let down of the century when I saw my beloved PDP on the wall displaying HD and leaving me with a lot to be desired. I was seconds later even more disappointed when I saw it displaying SD TV and regular DVD's.

In tried to get out of my state of shock by telling myself that it would "somehow" look better once I got it home, although I only half heartedly believed it to be true.

Then behind me on the wall were a series of LCD's displaying HD and as usual they looked really good to my eyes, as LCD's always have. LCD's just look a lot sharper and I think it might be because the pixels and pixelspacings are too large on PDP's. I can certainly see pixel structure from the distance I would like to sit from a PDP, prolly because my eyes are so damn sensitive to detail.

Seeing the so called inferior LCD's delivering a much better picture than anything that I had ever seen on a PDP kind of got me thinking. I thought that maybe this gap of difference that the experts were so adamant existed between plasma and LCD wasn't so significant after all.

So, maybe if I got the PDP and LCD next to each other and displayed the same thing there would be a difference, but if I only have the LCD to look at I can't see anything horribly wrong with the picture. In fact the colours and black levels look pretty damn acceptable to me.

And it's not like that either LCD's or PDP's are the perfect display technology, they both have far too many faults to be called that. So maybe I should just buy the best whatever I can get for my money now and settle for replacing it whenever the so called holy grail of displays comes out. Maybe it will be SED or maybe LED LCD's or 1080p PDP's of the future. Whatever it may be one thing is for sure, it still isn't here yet and it won't be for a couple of years.

I just wish there were any Sharp LCD's here that I could see and finally make up my mind. Sharp LCD's are a virtually nonexistent brand here in Denmark, but there are Samsungs everywhere. I don't like the samsungs very much and I am not too thrilled to get a Sharp blind, without seeing it first.

I feel your pain. But I also don't think you can go wrong with the new Panasonic plasmas. LCDs can look very enticing in a showroom, but when you get that baby home in a darkened room and a focused, discerning eye you're gonna pick up on a lot of things you don't like, particularly contrast and black level.

I can almost gaurantee that you'll be happy with the Panny (or the Pio) once you get either home, fully adjusted and ready to go. Trust me, most of these TVS - yes, even the LCDs - tend to look a whole lot better in a home enviornment. Try buying from somewhere that has a 30-day return policy. Most of the big B&M stores here in the states permit this. Hope you find the right TV. Good luck. And take a second look at those plasmas, they're great.
post #147 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillySaxMan View Post

Rev,

R11 and I had a fairly big blow-up over this issue in the original 2006 Sharp Aquos thread. I quote him in his reply to this question:

"Further, the LC-57GE2 utilizes a newly developed Hybrid Backlight System based on a combination of red LEDs and fluorescent tubes to expand the reproducible color gamut to 95%*4 of the NTSC color space*5. This means superb rendering of a diverse range of intermediate tones such as the bright color of healthy skin.

*4 Based on the 1976 CIE Chromaticity Diagram.
*5 Compared to the color gamut that can be reproduced when the range of reproducible colors under the NTSC color space is regarded as 100%. NTSC refers to the existing TV video standard used for terrestrial analog broadcasts formulated by the National Television System Committee.
"

Note that he refers to the Japanese version of the 57" Aquos. Mike53 pointed out that the quotes on percentage of NTSC color space differ according to how you measure it [just like everything else in HDTV!].

But, in the absence of any other data, and in the absence of honesty among vendors, this was best we could find at the time...

I also am NOT SURE that the 57" actually uses LEDs in combination with CCFL! I haven't heard anything like this since. Is this the so-called 5-wavelength system? An update from the likes of Mike53 would be very interesting!

Did we fight Philly? I sure hope we made up then . You always seemed like a decent guy to me. I think I was probably just poking a little fun at you maybe. Anyway. Just to clarify, what you quoted from me here was actually directly from a Japanese Sharp press release. IIRC (from another press release), Sharp claimed the Japanese market equivalent of the 37D90 with the four wavelength CCFL was rated at like 91% of the NTSC gamut.

ron
post #148 of 2392 Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Yoda,

Oh wise one, maybe you need to explain to Kamikaze about how Plasmas often have burn in problems that cannot be fixed. Also all kinds of precautions have to be taken in order for them to not break, you can't watch 4:3 for too long, you have to watch that text doesn't burn into the screen etc.. these are problems that LCDs do not have.
post #149 of 2392 Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 AM

Burn in does not scare me, I know that whatever I buy I prolly won't hold on to it more than 2-3 years anyway so I am going to enjoy it fully. So that means lots of videogames and 4:3 programs for good measure. Besides I believe that the burn in problem is all but solved with the new generations of plasma.

PQ is the important thing for me here so burn in won't deter me from buying a Plasma.

And once again I hear plasma's being complemented and I would like to believe it but for what my eyes tell me. Perhaps the videophiles see things that I don't notice or maybe don't care about. Besides I have never seen a videogame on a Plasma and that is very important for me, and I know that videogames look good on LCD panels.

I can't buy something and return it because electronics are so ridiculously overpriced in Denmark that its not even funny, so I will never buy anything from here. I will have to order it from Germany which will save me over 30% money but then returning items won't be an option.

So when I finally pull the trigger I have to absolutely sure.
post #150 of 2392 Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Did we fight Philly? I sure hope we made up then . You always seemed like a decent guy to me. I think I was probably just poking a little fun at you maybe. Anyway. Just to clarify, what you quoted from me here was actually directly from a Japanese Sharp press release. IIRC (from another press release), Sharp claimed the Japanese market equivalent of the 37D90 with the four wavelength CCFL was rated at like 91% of the NTSC gamut.
ron

Recall that I also showed a Japanese website that indicated the Bravia was at 91% of NTSC. Obviously this is a topic I enjoy so much that I am willing to take abuse over it. But seriously, R11 --- have you seen or heard anything in the last several months about a generation of LCDs that reach 100%+? Since the Qualia 005, I haven't seen anything that reached 100. This, to my way of thinking, is the reason to wait for the d90u series (versus the d40u). Response time is a dead issue (except for gamers), and contrast ratio is getting there (except for plasma freaks -- the kind of people who are trying to figure out how many angels can fit on the head of a pin). Color gamut is the brave new world. It is the single biggest reason Sony came back from the dead, and why Aquos is (arguably) no longer top dog...

Any hints or insights?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page