Official Samsung LN-S3251D/ LN-S3252D Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 581 Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Over the last few months, my 3251 has developed a dark splotch (not image burn-in/retention) near the upper right portion of the screen. It's still under a 4-year Best Buy warranty, but I'm not sure if that helps me. See this thread for my dilemma. Would appreciate any insights you guys can share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 581 Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone else ever have this problem, and what part needed replacing to cure it?
I was watching TV today, and the screen just turned dark (backlight is still on, and screen shows a slight glow) on all inputs (in fact, not even the on-screen displays are showing up), sound is fine, (I verified that that the backlight is fully on after removing the back cover), I checked all of the boards for loose cables, and damaged/burned components, nothing noticable.

Main board, LCD controller board or power supply? Inverter is fine (backlight fully on). I have the full service manual, but I do not have my scope any more. Any multimeter only methods of narrowing down which board is faulty?

Second, if I do end up having to replace the mainboard, does anyone have the most recent firmware for the set?

Thanks
<<<< Bob >>>>
post #573 of 581 Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Tybee did you ever get your problem resolved? I have had a dark splotch in the lower left corner of my LN-S3251 for the past year! I will never buy another Samsung product again.
post #574 of 581 Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Hey Tybee did you ever get your problem resolved? I have had a dark splotch in the lower left corner of my LN-S3251 for the past year! I will never buy another Samsung product again.

Not yet, but I recently discovered that I purchased a 4-year Best Buy warranty with the TV when I bought it. I had forgotten that. So I'm going to call them and see if they'll do anything.
post #575 of 581 Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM

How do I get into the service menu for this TV? Thanks.
post #576 of 581 Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Not yet, but I recently discovered that I purchased a 4-year Best Buy warranty with the TV when I bought it. I had forgotten that. So I'm going to call them and see if they'll do anything.

Wow...I've always disparaged store warranties in the past, but no longer. After a short phone call to Best Buy, they scheduled a Geek Squad tech to come out and look at it. I was expecting all kinds of push back ("Sorry, it's not bad enough for us to do anything about it/This isn't covered/etc.") but the guy walked in the door, took one look at the set, and said, "Yeah, I see it. We need to get you a new panel." He confirmed the serial and model no. and said he'd order a replacement panel. I asked if I'd have to bring the TV to them, but he said no, he'd come and install it at my house. He's scheduled to come tomorrow (don't even have to take a day off work since it's MLK Day). 10 mins in and out. Kind of unbelievable.
post #577 of 581 Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM

So how did the repair go Tybee?
post #578 of 581 Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

So how did the repair go Tybee?

The day of the repair, the guy called me to let me know that it was no longer possible to obtain the replacement screen since they don't manufacture it anymore (shocker). Instead, he gave me a confirmation # and said we should take the TV to Best Buy and they would provide a replacement set(!).

According to the policy, they're supposed to credit us the ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE (which was like $1,400 back in 2006) toward a new TV. So we're going to try to get the 40" LED-lit Samsung UN40B6000, which is the best set BB carries at that size (and the largest that will fit in my cabinet). Again, I suspect we'll get some pushback from them, but my wife is already spoiling for the fight. She lives for this stuff. My only concern is they'll have found another LN-S3251D in a warehouse somewhere and try to give us that.

Just waiting til our tax refund comes in so I'll have some extra cash on hand if needed, for a new warranty, if nothing else.
post #579 of 581 Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Wow that sounds fabulous! Hopefully you will get that 40" Sammy! I wish I bought a 4-year warranty too..oh well...guess it's off to Costco for my new TV. I can't believe it's only been 4 years since I bought the 3251D and now you can get 55" LED sets for the same price I paid back in 2006 for this Sammy.
post #580 of 581 Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Just a final follow up: IT WORKED. Went in to BB weekend before last to do the exchange. Coincidentally, the UN40B6000 along with other 2009 models were being clearanced out that weekend to make way for the 2010 line. I called before we went over because the UN40B6000 had been pulled from the BB Web site. They had exactly one left in stock (!), so I told them to hold it, not mentioning that it was going to be for a warranty swap.

When we got there, we explained the situation at customer service and gave them the confirmation #. We intimated that rather than take the set they might give us, we wanted credit toward a new set, noting that our LNs3251D had been top of the line in its class when we got it and we were looking for something similarly top of the line now. The managers excused themselves to confer for a bit. We wandered around the TV section, noting that the UN40B6000 was now clearance priced at $1,100. They came out and offered us $1,000 in credit toward a new set, which I thought was very generous considering this was for a 4 y.o. 32" 720p set.

But my wife was not satisfied. She proceeded to negotiate with three managers and a sales rep for 20 mins to get them to front the $100 difference and give us the 40" 1080p LED set in an even swap, arguing "it's the principle" and "technically we're entitled to $1,400 because the warranty says 'will refund the full original purchase price'" (not mentioning the fact that it only promises that if they can't replace the set with something commensurate). I just kept my mouth shut, and she finally won out. All we owed was the $200 for a new 4-year warranty (obviously we were going to get this!). Amazing!

So the lesson here is ALWAYS buy the BB warranty!

Ironically, the 40" set proved 1/3" too wide to fit in our cabinet (we knew this going in), prompting a complete rearranging of the room (not to mention the purchase of a new piece of furniture for the A/V equipment, a new media cabinet, and removal of the old hutch we were using to house both). I had briefly entertained the idea of getting the UN46B8500 (LOCAL DIMMING LED!!!), but there was no way to fit a 46" set, even with our new open arrangement (the TV is in a corner now on top of this).
post #581 of 581 Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
How to remove the back panel?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page