Official Samsung LN-S3251D/ LN-S3252D Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did not see this mentioned in this thread, or the other (larger) thread about the Samsung LCD TVs.

I recently purchased a Samsung LN-S2651D LCD TV (26" obviously), and have one question about it. Right now I just have basic cable, so rather than watch it in 16:9 mode, with everything stretched out, I changed it to 4:3.

The problem is that whenever I power off the television (and it's still plugged into the wall), the picture reverts back to 16:9 the next time it's turned on. Is this normal behavior for this television, or is something not saving the settings correctly?

The TV looks fantastic by the way. I just want to know if it needs to be returned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 07:40 PM
RRH

I have a somewhat similar question: I have the LN-S3251D, and since using it, it is changing from 4:3 to 16:9 by itself. I'm not sure if it's only while watching Tivo recordings, but this is when I've noticed it. Any ideas? I was thinking that maybe it might be doing it to avoid burn-in?
post #93 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post

I have a somewhat similar question: I have the LN-S3251D, and since using it, it is changing from 4:3 to 16:9 by itself. I'm not sure if it's only while watching Tivo recordings, but this is when I've noticed it. Any ideas? I was thinking that maybe it might be doing it to avoid burn-in?

You know what, my mom was just watching TV a little while ago, and said that very same thing. I didn't believe her at first, but then I saw it happen when I was watching it as well. The picture that was set to a 4:3 display just changed back to a 16:9 all by itself. What gives??
post #94 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM
RRH

Kind of relieved that I'm not the only one, but still feel bad. Hope someone can shed some light on what's going on.
post #95 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Well if it switches while you are watching hdtv, it is most likely the channel. Most commercials are 4:3 while the actual show is 16:9. If it happens while watching SDTV I dont know what to tell you, I havent had this problem with my 3251.
post #96 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM

Well, here I thought I was getting closer to a solution until vaio23 said he has never had this problem before. Mine does this while watching SDTV, as we do not have an antenna installed for HDTV yet (nor do we have a cable box).

What I was going to say is that on page 25 of my manual (so it should be the same for you guys as well)...it says, "If you watch a still image or the 4:3 mode for a long time (over 2 hours), an image may be burned onto the screen. View the TV in 16:9 mode as much as possible."

Now, when it switched modes by itself, the TV had only been on for 40 minutes or so, not the 2 hours mentioned in the manual. I'll keep checking back here for updates. In the meantime, I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow and ask about this behavior.

Whatever the result of that phone call is, I will post back so you guys know what happened.
post #97 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
RRH

Schancy - You and I are experiencing the same exact thing. I'm still thinking that it might be some pro-active code that is making it bounce back to 16:9 to prevent burn-in. I too am watching TV from an SDTV source.

If you don't mind, please share your experience with Samsung tomorrow when you call them.

Vaio23 - Do you have an SDTV source, or are you watching HDTV? Just curious.
post #98 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post

Burn-in? It's an LCD panel.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the manual. Now I remember hearing about that. I find that to be absolutely rediculous.

Whoever said they were going to call Samsung--make sure to ask them about the burn-in deal and see what they say.

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
post #99 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 PM

Ok, I will ask them about that as well. If you guys have any other questions let me know and I'll ask them too. If Samsung can't answer my questions satisfactorily, this TV might just end up getting returned.

I simply will not put up with a TV that changes settings on its own, especially when it cost over $1000 .
post #100 of 581 Old 05-30-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schancy View Post

Ok, I will ask them about that as well. If you guys have any other questions let me know and I'll ask them too. If Samsung can't answer my questions satisfactorily, this TV might just end up getting returned.

I simply will not put up with a TV that changes settings on its own, especially when it cost over $1000 .

If you don't get a satisfactory answer the first time, I would advise to hang up and call again. Some of the reps are unwilling to help and just throw a fake answer at you while others will do a little research and tell you what you want to know.

For example I called about the game mode. I wanted to ask what it ACTUALLY does to make games better. The first person that picked up was a lady who told me it electronically bypasses 2 of the signal processing features. I then called again to make sure this info was correct and the next guy told me "it just speeds up the processing".

post #101 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 AM

From my conversation with two technicians this morning, here's what I found:

By default, the television is supposed to revert back to a 16:9 picture size after the unit has been turned off. This is to prevent burn-in. I of course asked him why that was even an issue, as LCDs aren't supposed to burn-in. He agreed, but said that over time (a period of several years) they can burn-in slightly. So, rather than having two vertical black bars behind the 16:9 image when it's watched, the TV "resets" itself to avoid that altogether. His suggestion was to change it manually each time the TV is turned on...basically he said that is normal operation. Ok, I can deal with that...

However, when it came to the problem of the TV switching picture sizes randomly (i.e. from 4:3 back to 16:9) without the touch of a button, he could not explain why that was happening. His words were, "It may be the PCB internally that's faulty, I would recommend you get the unit replaced." When I asked further if there was anything I could do on my end to do additional testing, he replied, "No."

He had never heard of this behavior before, but felt that it wasn't worth my time to wait for a technician to come out to the house and replace whatever needed replacing. So, long story short...I am going back to Best Buy and returning this TV for another unit.

For reference, I called 1-800-SAMSUNG (7267864) and spoke with George. He then promptly transferred me to Casey, the real technician, not just the general help-desk guy, who said all of the above. If any of you want to call and ask the same questions I did perhaps we can compare notes. In the meantime, I am returning this unit as it is clearly defective. Hopefully the replacement will work without issue.

Look forward to reading your responses guys!
post #102 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM

Interesting stuff. I have a 3251 and have not noticed the auto reset to 16:9. I have a cable box and also sometimes watch OTA. I do have mine set normally to 16:9 and change to 4:3 only when I get annoyed by short/fat. I agree with another poster who said that you can get 4:3 programs or commercials on 16:9 settings, but I have not noticed any bouncing back and forth. I agree that you should probably try an exchange.
post #103 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dode50 View Post

Interesting stuff. I have a 3251 and have not noticed the auto reset to 16:9. I have a cable box and also sometimes watch OTA. I do have mine set normally to 16:9 and change to 4:3 only when I get annoyed by short/fat. I agree with another poster who said that you can get 4:3 programs or commercials on 16:9 settings, but I have not noticed any bouncing back and forth. I agree that you should probably try an exchange.

I agree with everything stated above. I have only viewed OTA and used a cable box with no problems, but I havent just plugged my cable directly from the wall to the tv. Maybe that is where the problem might be. Also everytime a watch regular SD I always set it to 4:3 and HD I set it on 16:9, but now my cable box does it automatically.
post #104 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the same warning in the manual about extended 4:3 viewing. Everybody I've talked with says it's Samsung covering their [EDIT}. Members on this site said that you can damage an LCD but you really have to work at it. That being said, if you do nothing but 4:3 viewing that may be working at it. Since the technology is the same for any LCD, this is probably true of any LCD.

I plan on purchasing a 32 inch in hte next few weeks. At the same time, I will upgrade our cable package to recieve HD programming so I will be watching a mix of SD in 4:3, SD DVD in some widescreen variant and 16:9 programming.

Also, some STB's allow you to change the color of the vertical bars which can help.
post #105 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM
RRH

Hmmm... I have mine going through a Comcast cable box, so who knows. I'll call as well and see what they say. It'd be a PITA to return it but if it's broke, it's broke.
post #106 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Well, just a quick update for everyone. After my phone call this morning, I promptly packaged up the television and headed back to Best Buy. Once there I explained the situation and they gladly exchanged it for another TV.

Once I got home, I plugged everything in and set it to 4:3 mode. We went to eat some lunch, and when I came back it was on 16:9 again, all by itself! I called Samsung once more and talked with a gal named Brandie. Her response was that she had never heard of this problem. She felt that I was either extremely unlucky, or that Best Buy got a bad shipment, but couldn't be sure. In an attempt to rectify the problem, she offered to have a service technician come out and look at it, or suggested that I return it to Best Buy for a third unit.

At this point, I might just take the TV back. However, before I do that, I'm testing it right now with a timer. I've put the TV in 4:3 mode and set the timer for 30 minutes. When it beeps I will see if it has changed by itself. If it does, perhaps I can show the people at Best Buy what I'm talking about (and you guys can see if you too can replicate the problem on your end).

I appreciate all the posting back and forth thus far as I try and figure this thing out.
post #107 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
RRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schancy View Post

From my conversation with two technicians this morning, here's what I found:

For reference, I called 1-800-SAMSUNG (7267864) and spoke with George. He then promptly transferred me to Casey, the real technician, not just the general help-desk guy, who said all of the above. If any of you want to call and ask the same questions I did perhaps we can compare notes. In the meantime, I am returning this unit as it is clearly defective. Hopefully the replacement will work without issue.

Look forward to reading your responses guys!

Eh, I tried but guess who answered the phone? George! He said the same thing and even mentioned your previous phone call. Suggested the same to me, that I bring it back for an exchange. He also asked about whether the transition occured during a commercial. I asked if the picture would revert back once the commercial ended, and he said it depended on the provider, in some cases it would not. So now the question is: Is it changing DURING the show, or is it changing when it goes to a commercial or another show? If it's during the show, then I plan to exchange it. If it's only during a transition to commercial or another show, I'll leave it be, since I'm getting an HD receiver from Comcast on Monday, and as the guys stated above, they seem to have no problem once connected to an HD source.
post #108 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Ok, mine does it every 30 minutes. I set a timer to 30, and when it was down to one minute remaining I walked in the room. As soon as the timer hit 30 (give or take a few seconds) the screen auto-adjusted itself. Again, this was tested using standard Cable TV (not HD), and I can replicate the problem on any channel. In addition, it switched back both times during the programming!

Can anyone else re-create this? I am going to make one last phone call to Samsung and at least inform them of this and see what their response is.
post #109 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Yes, mine has been doing exactly that for the last two weeks since I bought it. It is obviously a setting, but not for two hours. I notice it while I am watching any 4:3 show. The stretch just does not work for me and it is like clockwork. Hopefully Samsung will come up with an answer or everything will become HD soon.

Tim
post #110 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So if yall have 4:3 material you just watch it in 4:3 mode? I thought most people stretch it...

post #111 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 03:48 PM

Got off the phone one last time with a Tier 2 tech support representative (Jeff). He seems to think it's everything but the TV's fault, which frankly, I find very hard to believe.

He mentioned my wiring, the coaxial cable itself, the fact that it's coming off an amplifier (that the cable company installed), and that my house (which was built in the 1950's) is too old...riiiiiight. Apparently this problem doesn't exist on analog CRTs because the cable signal is analog. Go figure.

His solution was to take the cable feed and plug it directly into the television without any splitters/amps, etc. and see what happens. My question to him was, "What house doesn't have at least one splitter installed for cable TV?" He simply had no answer. I could see his point if it kept happening randomly, but it happens at EXACTLY 30 minutes every time! Just to entertain his idea I will try it and post back. If this does not fix it though, it's going back.

I sincerely hope you guys get it resolved if you keep the TV as it is one of the best TV's I've ever looked at (great color, contrast, etc.)...I just wish it didn't do this readjustment.
post #112 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Would anyone here who games on the 51D like to share their desired settings?
post #113 of 581 Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

I just use the Game Mode, im not sure can you adjust the picture settings while using it?

HD DVD & Blu Ray Owner
post #114 of 581 Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 AM
RRH

Schancy - Thanks for doing so much work for all of us, you're being very helpful. I suspect I'll find the same thing when I test it, but I didn't even get home last night until late. I'll test it tonight when I get home.

Everyone - Could anyone else with an HD connection try to duplicate this issue on their end and provide feedback? I know some have already said they don't have the problem, but if you could officially test it and get back to us, that would be great. I'm getting a new HD box on Monday, so if it looks like HD fixes the problem, then I'll keep the TV. If not, then I'll likely return it for an entirely different model.

PS: Does this TV have the "secret" menus that some of the other TVs have? If so, maybe the setting is there, and we could turn it off?
post #115 of 581 Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 AM

RRH - You're certainly welcome. I want to make sure I cover every possible area before I consider this TV defective. I look forward to your post tonight to see if it coincides with my results thus far.

In the meantime, while scouring the forums, the only "hidden" menu I found is that if you press and hold "Menu" on the TV set itself, you'll get one of two options:

Shop Mode
Dynamic Mode

Apparently it should be in Dynamic Mode. Shop Mode resets everything you've ever changed (with regards to custom color setup) back to the TV's default once you shut it off. I guess that feature is useful if it's a floor model display and customers are fooling with settings. The next morning everything is back to normal and the store clerks don't have to waste time messing with it.

I checked mine and it was on Dynamic Mode (where it's supposed to be). Just for giggles though, I set it to Shop Mode and the TV still changed the picture size at the 30 minute mark. Oh well, was worth a shot.
post #116 of 581 Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Out of curiosity I did some testing on my 3251 last night and this morning. I've been mostly using the 16:9 setting for all inputs, but I tried 4:3 for 1) feed from HD cable box through component, 2) feed from cable (wall) to VCR and then composite to TV, and 3) OTA. All of the 4:3 settings seemed to be stable. They all survived turning the TV off overnight and all survived >30 min viewing. I was watching mostly ESPN2 (SD analog) and ESPN news (SD digital) and a local analog OTA broadcast. Maybe none of these setting are exactly the same as those that others are using, but 4:3 seems stable on my TV.
post #117 of 581 Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I just posted a threada bout this but ill post my question here also. Does anyone know why when i watch a movie the "Film Mode" setting is always off and is blanked out so i can't turn it on?

HD DVD & Blu Ray Owner
post #118 of 581 Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
RRH

Schancy (and others) - I confirmed the 4:3 switch over the weekend as well. It's after 30 minutes just like yours. I'm getting HD tomorrow, will test it then to see what happens.
post #119 of 581 Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM

Alright, I have some interesting news to report...

First off, sorry for my absence last week (busy). In any event, I seem to have fixed the 4:3 reset problem (accidentally) I might add.

First, the story:
My mom was watching TV while biking, and noticed that after the 30 minute mark, the TV reset to 16:9. So, we set the egg timer up once again, turned the unit off and on, and started counting. Twenty minutes went by and I decided to disconnect the cable from the wall. For ten seconds the cable was out and the TV was still in 4:3 mode. I plugged the cable back in and figured the egg timer had 10 minutes left anyway, so it shouldn't matter. Well, 10 minutes came and went, and so did an hour after that! The TV did not reset itself once. I was like WTF!@#$!~!

Perhaps It Was The Cable All Along?!?!?!?!
Other than the above, I have only done one other thingupgrade the coaxial cable to one that is RG-6 Quad Shielded. Before this, I was using the cheapest possible cable (the kind you just slide onto the F-Connectors) because I wanted to test the TV. I hadn't purchased the ends yet, so I couldn't make the cable I wanted. In short, I just wanted to make sure the TV looked decent. I had always intended to put a good cable on this TV, but didn't do it right away. So, whether it was removing the cable from the wall while the unit was on (causing some sort of shock that made the TV wake up), or replacing the crappy RG-59 cable with an RG-6 Quad Shield cable, the TV now works as it is supposed to. In addition, the 4:3 setting now stays after the unit is powered down and turned back on!!! Prior to this I would set it to 4:3 and turn the TV off only to find it back to 16:9 when it was turned on again.

**One thing to note is that the Samsung technicians (George and Casey) both said that it was NORMAL to revert back to original settings after the unit had been powered off and on (despite what I told it to display at)! Clearly they do not know their product well enough.**

Can you imagine if your car radio worked in the manner in which they suggested? You leave it on 106.1 and when you start your car it always goes back to 92.5 every time...how annoying would that be?!? No, a radio works in that it stays on the very last station you listened to after the key is turned off. Even if the radio itself is turned off and turned back on, it still stays on that very same station as well. Finally my TV does exactly that, it remembers every setting I've told it. WOO HOO!

Sorry that this has turned into a long post, but I'm happy to report that my TV now works without issue. The cable is coming straight from the wall (no cable box, and no HDMI/DVI connection to the TV).

RRH:
If the new box doesn't work for you, try buying a higher quality coaxial cable and see if it still does it. Apparently interference coming off the amplifier/splitter we have, or the fact that the old cable was just a POS, was causing the problem all along.
post #120 of 581 Old 06-05-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dode50 View Post

Out of curiosity I did some testing on my 3251 last night and this morning. I've been mostly using the 16:9 setting for all inputs, but I tried 4:3 for 1) feed from HD cable box through component, 2) feed from cable (wall) to VCR and then composite to TV, and 3) OTA. All of the 4:3 settings seemed to be stable. They all survived turning the TV off overnight and all survived >30 min viewing. I was watching mostly ESPN2 (SD analog) and ESPN news (SD digital) and a local analog OTA broadcast. Maybe none of these setting are exactly the same as those that others are using, but 4:3 seems stable on my TV.

By the way, thank you for doing the additional testing on your end. I really appreciate that as it clearly took some time to do! For now my problem has disappeared. I just hope it's gone for good as the TV has been acting fine for the past few days now. *crosses fingers*
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page