Official Samsung LN-S3251D/ LN-S3252D Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 581 Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
arab try holding down the menu bottom on the side of the screen.It should show on the bottom middle a box.It should come up dynamic.If it does your TV was set on shop mode from the factory.I posted this in another thread so Samsung owners were aware.

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 581 Old 06-24-2006, 02:04 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I see that recently, shortly after release, the MSRP dropped from $1800 to $1700, although some stores still show the former MSRP, and then claim a false discount; Sony also decreased their price.

Can we expect another price decrease this summer? Or will it likely not be until ~early Sept., when some manufacturers will have new products, and the unofficial summer season is over?
post #183 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

I see that recently, shortly after release, the MSRP dropped from $1800 to $1700, although some stores still show the former MSRP, and then claim a false discount; Sony also decreased their price.

Can we expect another price decrease this summer? Or will it likely not be until ~early Sept., when some manufacturers will have new products, and the unofficial summer season is over?

I got mine at Best Buy and they had dropped it to [EDIT]. I don't know if it was that particular store or what, but it looked like they were getting ready to replace it with a different model.
post #184 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 06:10 AM

I am thinking about getting the LN-S3251D. I just have a few questions.

1. I understand that this tv does not have a QAM tuner. I was talking to a sales person at bestbuy and he said that I could still receive HDTV channels without a stb by hooking up cable to the tuner and scanning for digital channels. Is this true?

2. Are there discrete remote codes for input selection? I have a Harmony remote and it makes thing works better if there are discrete codes instead of switching through all of the inputs.

Thanks
post #185 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Auld: What brand of HDMI cable are you using to connect the NS75H to the set? I've got a 3' Monoprice one on that connection right now, but just ordered a 6' because it's really tight at that length. I don't think length is causing your clipping issue because it doesn't really become an issue until you start moving beyond 25'.

My HDMI cable is a cheap (under $20) 6-footer made by Cables To Go.

To recap, my problem is with occasional bursts of scratchy sound in the 3251's audio output when fed from a Sony DVP-NS75H HDMI (not video clipping as one poster may have thought). I ruled out source media, audio clipping/saturation, and the DVD player's audio front end. That leaves the DVD player's HDMI output, the cable, or the 3251's HDMI audio input.

Since I normally use audio straight from the Sony and don't use the 3251's audio, I haven't tried to track down this problem, but I am curious. I suspect it may be the cable.

Although HDMI is fully digital, it is still susceptible to ringing from out-of-spec cable impedance from bad materials or internal discontinuities. A bad cable could also allow crosstalk between video and audio channels. All this gets more likely with longer cables, but it wouldn't surprise me if a short but really cheap cable could have these problems. If it did, I think the noise would sound just like what I'm hearing -- occasional digital scratchiness that can't easily be reproduced and isn't associated with anything obvious in the content, like how loud or soft the passage is.
post #186 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also asked this question on the other Samsung thread. The Samsung website says the HDMI is for 1080p/1080i inputs. Does it not accept a 720p input over HDMI? Thanks
post #187 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

I also asked this question on the other Samsung thread. The Samsung website says the HDMI is for 1080p/1080i inputs. Does it not accept a 720p input over HDMI? Thanks

YES, HDMI ACCEPTS all digital feeds up to 1080i/1080p,
INCLUDING DVD players with 480i HDMI Output like:

OPPO DV-970HD Universal DVD Player (HDMI 480i - 1080i)
DV-970HD FEATURES:
Universal DVD Player with HDMI HD Up-Conversion to 720p/1080i
SACD, DVD Video/Audio and More
HDMI Output, HDMI Cable Included
480i over HDMI

DivX Certified
USB & Card Reader
Price: xxx
post #188 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrox101 View Post

I am thinking about getting the LN-S3251D. I just have a few questions.

1. I understand that this tv does not have a QAM tuner. I was talking to a sales person at bestbuy and he said that I could still receive HDTV channels without a stb by hooking up cable to the tuner and scanning for digital channels. Is this true?

No QAM tuner means no Digital Cable. Don't believe the sales droids, it is rare to meet one that knows what he/she is talking about.
If you want unencrypted Digital Cable (usually this gets you HD Locals)you need a TV with at least QAM.
If you want encrypted Digital Cable, you need QAM and a CC slot, the latter is hard to find on a TV at this point.
post #189 of 581 Old 06-25-2006, 02:39 PM

I assumed since the LN-3251D was a spectacular LCD panel , the LN-S4051D would be even better since it is larger. Everything I can find on the web seems to disagree with this. Most reveiws on the 32" model are great, and the majority of the reviews on the 40" are bad. Can anyone tell me if these two panels are not using the same hardware. I assumed they were the same TV, one is just bigger.
post #190 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 03:49 AM

Does anyone have any experiences using this tv in a medium to high lit room? Does the image hold up? I'm pretty set on buying this tv, but this could be a possible deal breaker.
post #191 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey AuldReekie...I have been having the same problems with audio on my 3251. It's definitely a problem with the TV and not the HDMI cable. I have used 3 different DVD players and 3 different HDMI cables and all configurations still had the same audio problem. Here's a link to a post I left awhile ago about this problem.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...&page=14&pp=30

Scroll down towards the bottom to see my posts.
post #192 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 12:30 PM

im about to get the LN-S3251D, anyone have any reasons why i should or should NOT get this tv??? please feel free to make suggestions, im gonna be using an SA 8300HD via hdmi, oppo 970 via hdmi, 360 over component... will i be happy with this tv???
post #193 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson87 View Post

Does anyone have any experiences using this tv in a medium to high lit room? Does the image hold up? I'm pretty set on buying this tv, but this could be a possible deal breaker.

I have my 3251D in an apartment with a sliding glass door patio. IMHO the TV looks great in a well-lit room and also has much less reflection than my old CRT.
post #194 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dode50 View Post

I have my 3251D in an apartment with a sliding glass door patio. IMHO the TV looks great in a well-lit room and also has much less reflection than my old CRT.

I'll second that. Windows on three sides in the room I have it in and reflection is virtually nonexistent. When the tv is on, you'll have no problem seeing it, even with bright lights or windows in the room.
post #195 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 02:19 PM

Here is a good customer service story.
Samsung offered to replace my LN-328W with a current model to closely matches my 328W. Turns out the HDMI going out was deemed unrepairable.

They are goung to replace my LN-328W with a LN-3251D.
Good for me:
increase contrast ratio from 3000:1 to 4000:1
Increase 1 HDMI to 2 HDMI
Move from a fixed stand to a swival stand
Bump my warranty start date from Dec '05 to July '06

I love this Samsung LN-328W but things happen and am totally stoaked about the additional HDMI for my comcast HD.

SAMSUNG ROCKS!!

So for the 3251 owners, how do you like the panel??
what are your pros and cons?
post #196 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

One neat thing I noticed about the 3251 yesterday: I have my GameCube hooked up via component, so I designated that source as "Game" using the TVs input labeling tags. Now, every time I go to that source, it automatically switches on the (excellent) game mode. Not sure if it's doing it because of the designation or because I turned it on at one point, but regardless, it's nice to save a couple steps. Also nice because I could easily see myself forgetting to disable it when I went back to another source.
post #197 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM

That's definitely good to hear about the lighting situation. The only thing between me and this tv now is motion blur. According to the online manual at samsung, the tv's refresh rate is 8ms. Has anyone watched sports on this baby? And if so how did it handle fast paced movements (mainly thinking about basketball during fast breaks where the camera pans and players move at the same time.) I've heard excellent things about how it handles videogames, and haven't really heard any complaints about motion blur in that department, but sports tend to be a little more hit and miss.
post #198 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:

That's definitely good to hear about the lighting situation. The only thing between me and this tv now is motion blur. According to the online manual at samsung, the tv's refresh rate is 8ms. Has anyone watched sports on this baby? And if so how did it handle fast paced movements (mainly thinking about basketball during fast breaks where the camera pans and players move at the same time.) I've heard excellent things about how it handles videogames, and haven't really heard any complaints about motion blur in that department, but sports tend to be a little more hit and miss.

In the 6 months I owned my LN-328W (soon to be LN -3251D), I have never seen any blur in sports. I believe the 328W has a 12 ms refresh rate and I did not see any blurring.
College Bowl Games, Super Bowl, College Tourney, NBA finals, NHL, NASCAR all in HD. Nothing. With a good solid HD Signal and proper calibration of the picture, I doubt you will ever see blurring.
post #199 of 581 Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I got the 3251 a couple weeks ago and have been extremely happy with it. While glare is certainly not a problem, you can always just swivel the TV to help if you have a window directly behind the set (using the handy swiveling stand).

Also, to answer your second question, I am a big sports fan and have not seen even one instance of motion blur. I've been watching plenty of World Cup, NHL Finals, and MLB baseball (and I'm counting the days to NFL).

The only negative (I don't think it's REALLY a negative) that I can think of is that the TV seems to eminate quite a bit of heat. I've never had an LCD, can anyone tell me if this is normal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #200 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 AM

That's amazing to hear. Thanks for all the feedback, as blur was my biggest concern. This tv will be mine Would anyone mind me asking them via pm (is this allowed?) advice on how to buy this tv? I've never bought an hdtv before and I always hear of people getting good deals, I just don't know how they do.
post #201 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Hey AuldReekie...I have been having the same problems with audio on my 3251. It's definitely a problem with the TV and not the HDMI cable.

Thanks ehgz1. Here's a question for you -- do you hear the occasional clicks/pops/scratchy sounds from the 3251 audio system when it's playing content from a source other than the HDMI input? From the built-in tuner, for example? I only use my 3251 for watching movies (in the mountains with no reception & no cable) but if I use the built-in tuner some day, will this audio noise be a part of the experience? I'm guessing not as so few people report this problem.
post #202 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post

Thanks ehgz1. Here's a question for you -- do you hear the occasional clicks/pops/scratchy sounds from the 3251 audio system when it's playing content from a source other than the HDMI input? From the built-in tuner, for example? I only use my 3251 for watching movies (in the mountains with no reception & no cable) but if I use the built-in tuner some day, will this audio noise be a part of the experience? I'm guessing not as so few people report this problem.

I have no audio problems, but the only audio I'm channeling out of the TV itself is OTA content (via a toslink cable to the receiver).

Can anyone tell me the prevalence of dead pixel issues with the 3251? I've got one dead one right in the middle of the screen. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with the set. I've got a week or two until the 30-day initial return period with Best Buy is still good. Should I attempt to swap it out? Will they give me a hard time for just having one dead pixel?
post #203 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

If its really distracting id attempt to swap it. My set however has no dead/stuck pixels at all... im very satisfied witht he quality of the panel.

HD DVD & Blu Ray Owner
post #204 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:

That's amazing to hear. Thanks for all the feedback, as blur was my biggest concern. This tv will be mine Would anyone mind me asking them via pm (is this allowed?) advice on how to buy this tv? I've never bought an hdtv before and I always hear of people getting good deals, I just don't know how they do.

From a Brick and Mortar, cash is king. I have negotiated the price down on several pieces of electronics stating I am willing to pay cash over debit or credit.
Not performing a credit transaction, the store will not pay the high Credit Card transaction fee.

Of course using a CC or 28 months Interest free gives you the freedom to buy at a set price.

With that said, I did buy 1 one from Circuit City with a 18 months Interest Free and still negotiated the price. It was the end of the month and I was willing to walk.

Just my experience.

JG
post #205 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM

I have joined your club, A plasma aficionado (2 plasmas owned) found an LCD they enjoy. It is hooked up to a DirecTV H20 receiver using a 50' HDMI cable brought from Blue Jeans cable. I do not have a DVD player to tune it, so I have been playing with settings posted on this site. So far I am very happy with my purchase.
post #206 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewretched22 View Post

If its really distracting id attempt to swap it. My set however has no dead/stuck pixels at all... im very satisfied witht he quality of the panel.

It's a "Princess and the Pea" situation: I technically cannot see it from a normal viewing distance, or even from 4 feet away, but I know it's there and it eats away at me.

What's the best line to use when trying to swap it out? Should I fib a bit and say multiple pixels are out? Are they going to plug it in and turn it on? That seems unlikely, especially if I repack it in the box. Technically, at this point I should be able to swap it out for any reason I please, right?
post #207 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

It's a "Princess and the Pea" situation: I technically cannot see it from a normal viewing distance, or even from 4 feet away, but I know it's there and it eats away at me.

What's the best line to use when trying to swap it out? Should I fib a bit and say multiple pixels are out? Are they going to plug it in and turn it on? That seems unlikely, especially if I repack it in the box. Technically, at this point I should be able to swap it out for any reason I please, right?

I used to work for Best Buy and honestly I was not very happy with the way they treated some of thier customers....

Usually though if the set is under the store return policy deadline you should be fine. But if I remember correctly they deem only a certain part of the screen as obligation in replacement but that only comes into play after the return policy dead line..

And yes they will open it up and test it, this is so that they'll be able to adjust the price when sold as an open box, but I don't think that they'll do this untill after you leave the store....

After all, are they going to make you wait around untill the teckys have time bench test it ? Probably not....

~S~

Blaze

P.S. The best thing is to just take it back and play it by ear.....
post #208 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I've had mine about 1 month and I couldn't be happier...

This is without a dought the best set on the market today...

The refresh rate of 8 ms is extremley efficient, the colors are vibrent and fresh...

I use this as my computer monitor and it's 10 times better then my Sony CRT monitor..

I'm actually into combat flight simulation as well ad watching DVD's and I've compared this set to a ton of others and with out a dougt the 51d gets the prize....

Samsung is the leader in manufactering TFT's for the TV industry and thats Sony Toshiba, Philips ect....

THIS ROCKS!!!!!

Blaze
post #209 of 581 Old 06-27-2006, 09:37 PM

I just bought a ln-s3241d and i noticed it is generating a lot of heat; hot to the touch.
should this be of any concern?
post #210 of 581 Old 06-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Auld..no I only notice the static/popping noises when I use the HDMI cable. I called Samsung support and they said that this wasn't suppose to be happening and that they could schedule a tech visit. Haven't taken them up on this yet as I am in the process of moving but I plan on doing so in a month. Hopefully it's something easy to fix..other than this little annoyance the set is fantastic..especially when using my 360!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page