Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulled the trigger on this from Crutchfield, expecting a call from the freight delivery guys soon, and downloaded the manual from Westinghouse.

One thing I didn't see in the manual was the procedure for removing the stand - does it come shipped attached and/or is the removal procedure extremely obvious ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn View Post

I hope eventually some of you will learn to use google, and deductive logic...

Free Tibet

Nice to know Richard Gere & friends are contributors to the site!
post #453 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 AM

Well, my Westy 47 will be delivered in a few hours. Today is a good day. Since this is my first HDTV, I need to head to the Time Warner offices to trade out my older digital cable box for their SA 8300HD high def PVR. Once all setup, I will post photos and thoughts on the Westy. Keep in mind I am hurrying to get it setup for the All Star game tonight!
post #454 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleshoe View Post

One thing I didn't see in the manual was the procedure for removing the stand - does it come shipped attached and/or is the removal procedure extremely obvious ?

It comes attached. I didn't investigate the removal procedure.
post #455 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 AM

Physical Dimensions 31.7" x 46.1" x 8.9" (with Base)
78.9 lbs (with Base)
29.2" x 46.1" x 5.0" (w/o Base)
69.9 lbs (w/o Base)

ps: my 47"er arrives tomorrow PM. Report/opinions to follow Thursday.

David
post #456 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 AM

My wife just walked into our living room where the new 47 Westy is going to reside. I have the entire wall marked up with masking tape, indicating where our new built-in bookshevles are going to go. She homed in on the large rectangular area in the middle, indicating where the monitor will be mounted on the wall. Her response?

"is that big enough?"

7 years of marriage, and she is already trained well.

:-)
post #457 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverseL View Post

The toshiba TV you mentioned comes out to about $2500 including shipping and thats the price for the 42 inch the Westinghouse is the same price for the 47 inch you do the math

Westinghouse quality has been none too good. Neither has their service. Local service? The Westy panels I see at BB do not look very good. (but they are getting better).

Why does BB not carry the 47"? Pondering for all of two seconds - too many returns.

It is very risky, foolish, and costly to mail order a display based upon their high rate of returns. How much is the shipping if it has to be returned? That is if it can be returned...

The Toshiba brand is superior in every performace and reliability aspect. The Toshiba 47" should go for about $3K with local purchase. This comes with free 12-18 month financing and a free 30 return privilege. Do the math with quality and performance added in and you will get the real cost.
post #458 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Westinghouse quality has been none too good. Neither has their service. Local service? The Westy panels I see at BB do not look very good. (but they are getting better).

Why does BB not carry the 47"? Pondering for all of two seconds - too many returns.

It is very risky, foolish, and costly to mail order a display based upon their high rate of returns. How much is the shipping if it has to be returned? That is if it can be returned...

The Toshiba brand is superior in every performace and reliability aspect. The Toshiba 47" should go for about $3K with local purchase. This comes with free 12-18 month financing and a free 30 return privilege. Do the math with quality and performance added in and you will get the real cost.

I guess I should get rid of the two perfectly good monitors (42" and 47") I have from Westinghouse and run out and pick up the Toshiba.

by the way... I was able to pickup 2 Westys for the price of the one 60" SXRD screen I was replacing.

If you are going to shill for Toshiba don't you think it might be better done in a different thread?

mb1010
post #459 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:

The Toshiba 47" should go for about $3K with local purchase. This comes with free 12-18 month financing and a free 30 return privilege. Do the math with quality and performance added in and you will get the real cost.

Where?
post #460 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 08:56 AM

Mine just got delivered. Well packed, and all in one piece. These boxes come with a Drop (N) Tell device on them (at least from Crutchfield) that indicates where the box has exceeded a certain amount of g forces. Nice feature.

Photos and initial impressions to come later today.
post #461 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanb3478 View Post

I think someone needs to revoke your license to post, until you learn how to fact check (or google search at a bare minimum). For the love of God, man:

The above is found near the bottom of this page:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=tech

This took me 3 minutes to find (at most) using google and some basic search terms.

Oh, and as for wiki entries, how about I post one that is actually relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse

See how yours is in "Prior companies"? The one you should have linked to was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westing...ion_%281998%29. On this page, you want to check the heading "Licensing of the Westinghouse brand".

See how this one is listed in "Present companies" in the first link of mine? You see the difference between what these two companies do? Oh, and the minor point that only the one I link to still exists with the "Westinghouse" name. Kinda different that what you indicated, huh? It is like night vs day, actually.

Writing a big enough check, does not make them "Westinghouse". All they are doing is paying to use the name, so they do not have to make up some name like "Maxent" or "Sceptre". It seems to have worked on you like a charm. I guess they are hoping that you represent the typical ability of a consumer to figure out what is going on. Who knows, they are probably right.

I am so sorry to offend smart people like you, and i promise i will never come to this forum ever. I need to find stupider forum, where people can actually make mistake.

Administer, pleaes ban me from this forum.
post #462 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw something in the $6K to $8K range for 1080p 47" Toshiba LCD currently available via google.

Please stop posting FUD or misleading statetments like such...... no one welcomes a troll, even on this forum.
post #463 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post

Mine just got delivered. Well packed, and all in one piece. These boxes come with a Drop (N) Tell device on them (at least from Crutchfield) that indicates where the box has exceeded a certain amount of g forces. Nice feature.

Thanks! I'm close to pulling the trigger as well and interested to hear how the Crutchfield purchase worked out. (any dead pixels etc?)
post #464 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 PM

i want to order this now, but the one disadvantage of online ordering is dead pixels. at least at best buy i can exchange it if there's a dead pixel.
post #465 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post

what carrier did they use?
post #466 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 PM

EGL (Eagle Global Logistics)
post #467 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

i want to order this now, but the one disadvantage of online ordering is dead pixels. at least at best buy i can exchange it if there's a dead pixel.

That's why I haven't ordered it yet. All the places that carry it don't have a return policy. If there's too many dead pixels you have to take it up with the manufacturer. And even then it's up to Westinghouse on what they consider too many dead pixels. I refuse to spend that much and not have a guarantee that I'll be happy with it!

Too bad there's still no word when/if BB will carry it.

Rich
post #468 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 PM

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
You can return any product within 30 days of receiving it. Just make sure it's in like-new condition, pack it all (remote, manual, etc.) securely in the original packaging, and call us for a Return Authorization number.

We'll gladly exchange it or give you a refund for the full amount of the merchandise (not including original shipping) whichever you prefer.

FREE Return Shipping
Your satisfaction is so important to us, we'll even pay if you decide to send a product back! Return an item for an exchange or refund (your choice) during your evaluation period, and we'll cover the cost of return shipping.*

*Items delivered via Large Item Special Shipping are excluded from this offer, but there is no charge for returning damaged or defective products regardless of size.
post #469 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:48 PM

inevitably best buy will carry it. as someone who used to work there, what will probably happen is that it will start popping up randomly in stores....then once availibilty is high then we'll see it on the website.

i'll bet there's a sku for it in their database now. (usually there is several weeks before a product is even in stores).
post #470 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM

are tv's considered large items with crutchfield? i can't imagine what it would cost to send it back to them.
post #471 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 View Post

are tv's considered large items with crutchfield? i can't imagine what it would cost to send it back to them.

TVs over 24" are considered large items, but clearly defective items still qualify for free return shipping. The CF representative I spoke with assured me that the TV would arrive in good shape. Never had any issue getting good customer service from CF.
post #472 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandler6 View Post

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
You can return any product within 30 days of receiving it. Just make sure it's in like-new condition, pack it all (remote, manual, etc.) securely in the original packaging, and call us for a Return Authorization number.

We'll gladly exchange it or give you a refund for the full amount of the merchandise (not including original shipping) whichever you prefer.

FREE Return Shipping
Your satisfaction is so important to us, we'll even pay if you decide to send a product back! Return an item for an exchange or refund (your choice) during your evaluation period, and we'll cover the cost of return shipping.*

*Items delivered via Large Item Special Shipping are excluded from this offer, but there is no charge for returning damaged or defective products regardless of size.

NOT on TVs this big. I spoke with them and if there's dead pixels he said I need to take it up with westinghouse. They won't take it back unless it's broken (ie not working). Get your facts straight before you post.
post #473 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 PM

Don't be a hat'r. The rep that processed my order either lied to me or their web site is wrong. Either way, I will fight tooth and nail on that 30 day action via the direct phone line to my rep if need be.

peace.
post #474 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Do any one has a sceptre 42" to compare to the Westinghouse 47"? I wonder to know if the W has better picture quality.
post #475 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 PM

I'm not hatin, sorry if my post was too aggressive. And I hope yours comes in perfect shape. Just letting others know.

Quote:

...This is an automated email sent from Crutchfield.com Live Chat. The following information is a log of your session.

07/06/2006 09:32:39PM Rich: "thinking about getting the Westinghouse LVM-47w1 47" HDTV-ready 1080p LCD monitor"
07/06/2006 09:32:54PM Rich: "what's the return policy with regard to dead/stuck pixels"
07/06/2006 09:33:45PM Agent (Jay): "You will have to contact the manufacturer regarding their standards on dead pixels. Each manufacturer has their own definition of the "allotted" amount."

post #476 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

looks like number of you guys already received it, can you post some thoughts about brightness, black levels etc...

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #477 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 PM

I am waiting on my brother to arrive to help take the Westy out of the box. I want to keep the box, just in case of any issues. You never know. Once we get the tv hooked up, I will report back in between commercials of the All Star game......
post #478 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandler6 View Post

Don't be a hat'r. The rep that processed my order either lied to me or their web site is wrong. Either way, I will fight tooth and nail on that 30 day action via the direct phone line to my rep if need be.

peace.

Thanks for revealing this clever deception. The more you push the truth the more those posting to make a profit become angry. Do they think AVS members are stupid? Most times the offenders pull the troll tactic when their infomerical goes sour. Westinghouse buyers need to receive a written 30 day return with free return shipping statement before they placing their order. Trust but verify.

The last thing Crutchfied or any mail order business dreads, is getting stuck for expensive shipping four times on a return:
1) shipped to them from Westinghouse
2) ship to customer
3) shipped from displeased customer
4) ship defective display back to Westinghouse

This is why so many second and third rate large LCDs are shipped only mail-order.
It makes the product much more difficult and costly for the customers to return. Which is the whole point!
post #479 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 03:32 PM

I ordered the 27" Westinghouse (LVT-27w6) from Crutchfield yesterday. Its coming via UPS. I was assured by their rep that it was returnable within 30 days. Hope I don't have to return the TV but if I do - they better not go back on their word. Perhaps it won't be an issue because of the size and regular UPS delivery. This is my first purchase from Crutchfield. I never dreamt I would have purchased a TV via mail order but the price was too good to pass up.
post #480 of 4028 Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 PM

I got mine today, unpacked and hooked it up. Looks great, pics coming later. So far no dead pixels, but I didn't look too hard. No banding either, but again, I didn't look too hard - but nothing obvious from normal viewing.

HD looks great, especially the 1080i ones. SD looks okay, but nothing to write home about (both from Comcast). I didn't change any settings - so hopefully SD can be made to look a bit better - but I don't really care.

I especially like the fact that there is no glare since I sit in a bright room.

DVD from Oppo 971H looks sweet.

Hooked up my laptop via DVI1 and it looks sweet, but my laptop is limited to 1400x1050. The Westy centers it and shows it at 1080p. But the desktop looks sharp and has the "wow" factor - way better than my laptop screen.

Next up, DVD from Oppo 971H.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page