post #541 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

how does the build quality of this Westy compare to Sceptre?

I've not seen a Sceptre, but I'm very happy with the look and build of this Westy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
Ordered my 47" Westi from Crutchfield last Thursday and EGL called me this morning to schedule a delivery. They wanted to do it this afternoon, but I had to work late. They'll be here tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping to take some pics and start contributing to this forum since it's been such a tremendous help.

I'll be using a Sci Atlanta 3250HD connected DVI > HDMI and an xbox 360 connected with M$ VGA cable. This is the setup I had with my 42" Westi and as mentioned before, it looked awsome. No apparent banding, but the lockups were getting up to at least once per day so I took it back to BB. Let's hope this set is a winner.
post #543 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

same i asked everyone, how are the blacks compared to the 42" version
post #544 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM

My Westy 47" is now setup, and it's beautiful. Can't find any dead or stuck pixels. I love it. So very glad I returned my 42"er to BB. SOme slight tweaks have really made the picture shine. Again, I love it. Crutch worked out just fine.

Go ahead, jump in,....the water is nice and warm.

I'll try to get some pix up tomorrow.

David
post #545 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 PM

mine arrives tomorrow
post #546 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandler6 View Post

My Westy 47" is now setup, and it's beautiful. Can't find any dead or stuck pixels. I love it. So very glad I returned my 42"er to BB. SOme slight tweaks have really made the picture shine. Again, I love it. Crutch worked out just fine.

Go ahead, jump in,....the water is nice and warm.

I'll try to get some pix up tomorrow.

David

did you return the 42" westy? and if so, can you comment on picture quality between the two?
post #547 of 4028 Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

saw the 42" version this afternoon running hddvd, i must say...wow and to be honest I did not see the noisy pattern I saw on the samsung 1080p blueray. after reading a few post i am sure the sammy is a great set. its just the initial blueray players are not that great at best buy.

one minor thing was the black levels of the westy 42 at the store. I wish they had the 47. as of now i dont even think best buy will carry them. odd. or prob due to high returns of the faulty 42" or low profit margin from them.

i love everything i am hearing from you guys, keep opinions/pix coming. much appreciated.

once I am back from my vacation next week, hopefuly i can pull the trigger on this.
post #548 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 AM

Received mine from Crutchfield yesterday. FYI I'm quite the HD newbie, so take my impressions with that in mind

First, the delivery experience was quite good. EGL came yesterday afternoon about mid-way into the slot they had arranged. The brought the TV right up, unboxed it, placed it on my tv stand and powered it up. Everything worked fine.

Took me about two minutes to get everything plugged in and working. The trunk/side mounted connections are an excellent idea and certainly make it easy to access and change connections. I'm using:
- Tivo (for SDTV, Comcast HD will be ordered today)
- Samsumg HD-941 upscaling DVD player
- XBOX 360

The picture from the XBox 360 looks great. I've got it outputting at 720P over component, and it looks crisp and clear. I've been playing Project Gotham Racing 3 and Geometry Wars and there's no perceptible lag at all. Basically it looks like my old CRT at 2-3 times the size and resolution No lag, no ghosting etc.

The DVD player did present one issue connected over HDMI. The player is setup to upscale to 1080i, with the westy doing the de-interlacing. The picture looks great. As someone else mentioned, with bitstream audio all I get is a nice series of clicks (no other sound). With it set to PCM sound I cannot eliminate a faint crackling sound. The sound is only there when the sound track is sufficiently loud (regardless of where the TV volume is set), but this is 20-30% of the time. I'm not sure if it's the TV's processing of the audio, the DVD player, or the HDMI cable (which came with the DVD player). I've switched to DVI+L/R audio and it's working great now. I've also ordered a new cable from monoprice, and will be getting a comcast HD cable unit soon, which should give me enough pieces to figure out where the problem lies (my money is on the DVD player).

SD looks....well, like SD. Some channels looks fine (I'm watching CNN Headline right now, and it looks good), and others look pretty crummy. It seems to be this way regardless of whether I'm watching in 4:3 mode or fat (sorry, stretch) mode.

As others have already stated, the look and build quality are excellent. I was a little sceptical of the bezel design, but now that it's home and in place it looks great. And while you can turn off the westy logo light, at least the westy logo doesn't look like crap.

I haven't done a close up examination yet to look for dead/stuck pixels but we've been watching a range of stuff at this point and nothing is visible from viewing distance (which to me, is really all that matters). I'll be picking up a DVI cable from work today which will allow me to run my powerbook into it at full 1080P and run some tests (any suggestions for test software would be welcomed).

I'm quite impressed with the built-in speakers. For built-ins they are quite capable. I'm not a home-theatre buff though so please don't ask me if they'll work for you. They sound good enough to me to use in day-to-day TV/XBox usage.

I do have a few peeves. The manual is pretty pathetic. I'm ok with that because really, I've never felt the need for a manual for a TV. The remote is also pretty poor (as mentioned elsewhere). It'll do for now, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be picking up a universal remote soon (any suggestions for one that works well with the westy, xbox360, tivo and comcast would be greatly welcomed). The auto-input detection is ok, but could be more helpful. It would seem that all it does is detect when an input suddenly starts receiving a signal, and change to that input. It'd be nice if, when turning off an input source, it'd a) change to the only active input if there's only one left or b) present you with a list of active inputs if there are more than one. But this is nit-picky stuff.

Overall, I'm very happy with the TV, and with the experience from crutchfield. It's not going home unless something goes seriously wrong in the next week or so (it hasn't yet).

-t
post #549 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 AM

I wouldn't bother getting a new HDMI cable. I tried a new one and the cracking sound is still there with HDMI -> HDMI with bitstream audio.
When going DVI->HDMI with a convering cable form my cable box or computer theres no problem - not suprisoing since DVI doesn't have audio signals.

If anyone has Blu Ray/HD-DVD player with a HDMI -> HDMI connection that would be interesting.

I don't know if i should be concerned. I believe all the digital inputs on the Westy have HDCP. If I get a PS3 or next gen DVD player I'll connect those as HDMI->DVI and send the audio to my receiver to get 5.1 sound. I'll have my PC connected as DVI-> HDMI and also send the sound to my receiver.
post #550 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 06:07 AM

I watched King Kong via DVD over HDMI last night. Absolutely amazing. Wonderful picture, but it will be better once my DVD Essentials dic shows up to do a rough calibration. I might get the Eye TV if I don't like the results.

I am, however, getting issues with my digital cable signal. I am not sure where the problem lies. I am getting a bright line or pixels on the extreme left and right hand sides of the monitor when displaying HD content. When displaying SD content, I am getting some goobledy gobble (yes, that is a technical term) on the top hand side. I will post some photos later on this morning.

I have yet to see any ghosting at all, but I haven't watched much content that would have that show up to begin with.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this monitor. I don't have an Xbox 360 (yet), so I know I am not pushing the limit on what it can do. I will, however, be hooking up my Mac Mini core duo tonight for Front Row capabilities. I will report back on that, as well.
post #551 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

since i never use the audio from the tv i think i should be ok with this tv... for sound i only use my onkyo receiver... i havent used my tv speakers since 1999

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #552 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy1010 View Post

OK finally finished doing a web page for my photos of the Westy 47:http://basementtapes.net/westy/
I did with iWeb, quickly, so don't judge to harshly. First time. mb1010

First off thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos.
Since you're a first time iWeb user - just thought I point out (not criticizing) that some of the more interesting color shots are found under "Media" in the submenu bar - as opposed to clicking on "Media" in the first page that pops up when clicking on your link.
The way you've titled the photos in the "Picture" page makes one think they are aligned with the submenu titles - and I don't believe they are - as when I click on the Media photo in the Picture page I ultimately get a slide show with just 3 pictures - whereas if I click on Media in the submenu bar there's 11 photos (including some very colorful ones that people shouldn't miss) ultimately in the slide show.
Thanks again I enjoyed the slide show(s).
post #553 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 07:08 AM

Does any one has chance to compare the Westy 47 and the Sony BRAVIA KDL-46S2000? I first hated the Westy, but after ready all posts, it makes me more confuse. I did not have a chance to compare the two, but I assume the Sony LCD much better even its resolution is lower.
It is big difference between Sony 40" LCD and Westy 40. Westy is look terrible
post #554 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post

I am, however, getting issues with my digital cable signal. I am not sure where the problem lies. I am getting a bright line or pixels on the extreme left and right hand sides of the monitor when displaying HD content. When displaying SD content, I am getting some goobledy gobble (yes, that is a technical term) on the top hand side. I will post some photos later on this morning.

I only get a bright yellow line on the left edge of NBC-HD all the other HD channels are free of this and I don't see any issues - so it must be the source. Also, the SD channels differ. Some have no noise, some do on the top edge - it doesn't really bother me - you can use the Fill function to expand the image a little if you want.
I doubt it's going to make any difference, but tonight I'll remove the cable splitter that's going into the the cable box. If it does improve the picture I'll let you know.
post #555 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 08:02 AM

I'm about to pull the trigger and I need some last minute reassurance. I read on another thread (Eyefi 47" LX4700):

"In fact, I now feel that 47" is not big enough, especially if you use it as a PC monitor at a distance of greater than 6 feet."

I am purchasing this set just for that reason and I returned the 42 strictly because the fonts were too small to comfortably read at my 8' seating distance. I felt that, with unscaled fonts, that the 42 would be great at a seating distance of NO MORE than 6'.

I'm allways reading forums so I want it to be completely comfortable to read at 8'. This is the final question I need to consider as I feel every other aspect of the set is great. Is somebody using this thing with their PC to view this forum??? What's your seating distance?? Do you have your fonts scaled up?? What are your thoughts??
post #556 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 AM

Yes that edge noise is the source. That you see it in HD broadcasts is a good thing. It means the TV is not overscanning to hide it from you. This is the tradeoff you take for having 1:1 mapping.
post #557 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falser View Post

Yes that edge noise is the source. That you see it in HD broadcasts is a good thing. It means the TV is not overscanning to hide it from you. This is the tradeoff you take for having 1:1 mapping.

Good info, Falser. Thanks for giving me some sanity.
post #558 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanblair View Post

I returned the 42 strictly because the fonts were too small to comfortably read at my 8' seating distance. I felt that, with unscaled fonts, that the 42 would be great at a seating distance of NO MORE than 6'.

Since the 42" wasn't satisfactory beyond 6' then the 47" probably won't be satisfactory beyond 6' 6". The additional 5" diagonal only tranlates to 4" in width and 3" in height. Based on having had the 42", did you feel it would have been suitable from two feet further away if it had only been 4" wider? I doubt it.
post #559 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanblair View Post

I am purchasing this set just for that reason and I returned the 42 strictly because the fonts were too small to comfortably read at my 8' seating distance. I felt that, with unscaled fonts, that the 42 would be great at a seating distance of NO MORE than 6'.

I'm allways reading forums so I want it to be completely comfortable to read at 8'. This is the final question I need to consider as I feel every other aspect of the set is great. Is somebody using this thing with their PC to view this forum??? What's your seating distance?? Do you have your fonts scaled up?? What are your thoughts??

You'll need a really big screen if you want the regular windows fonts to be visible at that distance.

Yesterday, when I had my PC connected I was about 9-10 feet away. Doing regular windows stuff with extra large fonts turned on was not comfortable at all and I have decent vision. Going from 42in to 47in is only going to make the fonts about 12% taller. The reason for me to connect this screen to a PC is for media viewing. For occasional net surfing I'll just sit a lot closer.
post #560 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I can tell you I use my Sharp 45 inch at 1920 x 1080 with Vista and have no problems 9 feet away. The new fonts and icons are very sharp. If you cant see em you simply hit Control and scroll with the mouse to adjust the size. Very nice indeed
post #561 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM

Just placed an order for one at crutchfield. Couldn't take waiting anymore.

FYI: I did the Chat with a Sales Rep thing to try to get the $50 off coupon added cause I haven't received my entertainment card yet and he offered me $75 off instead.
So it's...

$x,xxx.xx - 36.xx (Paypal Debit card 1.5% Cash Back) - $75 coupon = $x,xxx.xx

post #562 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post

FYI: I did the Chat with a Sales Rep thing to try to get the $50 off coupon added cause I haven't received my entertainment card yet and he offered me $75 off instead.
So it's...

Why again is it that we can't list prices that aren't MSRP?

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #563 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Why again is it that we can't list prices that aren't MSRP?

I didn't know if that was MSRP or not so I just xx'd it out. I didn't wanna get yelled at lol.
post #564 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I didn't know if that was MSRP or not so I just xx'd it out. I didn't wanna get yelled at lol.

pm me with the price please
post #565 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codek View Post

which credit card is that?

Its a Platinum Visa. Usually all Platinum Visas and some Gold Visa's offer this. If you have a Visa, check the original documentation that came with it. Mine came with a little brochure of "benefits".
post #566 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:05 PM

tfenne,

First, thanks for posting your impressions - you sound like someone with the same/similar setup as I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfenne View Post

First, the delivery experience was quite good. EGL came yesterday afternoon about mid-way into the slot they had arranged. The brought the TV right up, unboxed it, placed it on my tv stand and powered it up. Everything worked fine.

I hope to get my call from EGL on Monday, my 47" left Crutchfield last Monday. How long were the delivery slots ? 8-12/1-5 or more precise ?

Quote:

- Tivo (for SDTV, Comcast HD will be ordered today)

Are you dumping the TiVo and getting a Comcast DVR ?

Quote:

I'll be picking up a DVI cable from work today which will allow me to run my powerbook into it at full 1080P and run some tests (any suggestions for test software would be welcomed).

Is that just a DVI-D cable ? I also have a Powerbook (and hopefully soon a new iMac) that I (hope) to use.

Thanks!
post #567 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

can someone enlight me why there that dumb rule of not being able to list prices?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #568 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalerio View Post

pm me with the price please

It's the price on crutchfield.com
post #569 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it's...

thanks for the tip.... $75 coupon was my catalyst to pull the trigger through CF. I just told the sales guy about a coupon and he just gave it to me. Mine should be arriving by end of next week.

BTW, I would like to thank early owners for all their feedbacks and those beautiful pictures... Hope this TV arrives before my wifey's new refrigerator does.
post #570 of 4028 Old 07-13-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm glad you were able to get it!!
I'll be posting pics as soon as I get it!

Rich
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page