Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I'm running out of troll sticky..... I have to give this guy one, does anyone have a spare?

I bought the 32" westinghouse for my bedroom and was really unhappy with it. Didn't mean to come across as harsh or a troll

NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 PM

So, I got my LVM-47w1 yesterday. Spent better part of yesterday hooking it up.

Here's what I've got:

SD Tivo 80hr on RCA Input
XBox XBMC latest on Component 1
Comcast DCT6200 series (no PVR model) on HDMI with DVI->HDMI cable.
PC with Radeon X800 Pro on DVI 1.

Here's my impressions so far:

- Picture is sharp. I'm a HDTV novice, but it looks way better than what I was expecting. SD quality is not poor, but it just looks lacking after watching the comcast HD channels.

- XBMC is a awesome upconverting DVD player, once you figure out how to enable the HD resolutions. XBMC at 1080i to the LVM-47w1 looks much better than 480i upscaled by the LVM-47w1.

- Having problems with my DVI inputs and my PC. Not sure if its the Panel or the Card. If I boot up with the DVI-1 as my input, I get glorious looking 1080p. If I then switch inputs, and switch back, my picture is all messed up. Haven't found a way to fix it yet, other than rebooting. However, DVI-2 input has wierd pixel garbage on the edge, even upon a clean boot up. I'm leaning toward the Vid card as cause of DVI-1 problems, but I think DVI-2 is the panel.

- I noticed PIP windows do not like the 1080p signal from my PC. If I'm watching any input, and enable PIP to my PC, I get really bad overscan. But, at least it lets me access my PC when DVI-1 is messed up as above.

Overall, I'm happy with the set - No noticible banding and no dead pixels! (checked with multiple single color images ). Would love to figure out the DVI issues though.

ebob9
post #723 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post

I bought the 32" westinghouse for my bedroom and was really unhappy with it. Didn't mean to come across as harsh or a troll

NM

No company will have a perfect assembly line and espcially for electronics will most likely be worst of all goods. Hence, the return policy exist and we have to use it to protect ourselves. I'm just bummed about not having a return policy in the automobile market. Unless you can prove it as a lemon, you're keeping it with all the trouble that comes with it. And the lemon does exist in all brands and all goods. However, don't let one lemon sour your future experience, but be more cautious and smart to deal with it more promptly within the return policy.
post #724 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebob9 View Post

- XBMC is a awesome upconverting DVD player, once you figure out how to enable the HD resolutions. XBMC at 1080i to the LVM-47w1 looks much better than 480i upscaled by the LVM-47w1.

Can the original xbox really output 1080i? If so, how?
post #725 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebob9 View Post

If I then switch inputs, and switch back, my picture is all messed up. Haven't found a way to fix it yet, other than rebooting. However, DVI-2 input has wierd pixel garbage on the edge, even upon a clean boot up.

I have my PC on DVI2 and other devices on DVI1, and I haven't seen a problem switching between inputs. 1080p display from my PC was initially messed up on DVI2, but I was able to easily correct it using powerstrip. You might try the same.
post #726 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 04:23 PM

Thing is, I don't have a DVI cable. I just bought this HDMI cable and am annoyed that it's looking worse than the component cable I already had.
post #727 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 07:01 PM

Picked up my LVM-47w1 Friday, couldn't wait for Eagle to deliver on Monday and I saw no reason why it should just sit in a warehouse all weekend not being used.

So far everything is working and looking great. I have not tried the audio so I can not commit on that. This is my first HDTV and all I can say is WOW. For the last few years I been living with a 19" display, WOW! The first night watching DVDs I thought my eyes were going to melt as the display is so very bright compaired to what I had.

The main reason for my post is to inform people who might be interested in using this display with Linux using a NVIDIA FX5200 video card with a DVI output. From reading other posts and fourms it appears that there was some issues with the FX5200 outputing at 1920x1080p on the DVI output. I found on another forum the proper settings required to make it work and can tell you that I have successfully been able to run Linux (MythTV, Mplayer, etc...) with the FX5200 using a DVI to DVI connection (DVI input 1 on the display) at 1920x1080p and it looks great.

This is what I did.

1) Make sure you have the NVIDIA driver version 1.0-8762 installed (which as of today is the current driver) as older versions did not work properly.

2) Configure xorg.conf as shown below. The key here is the Option line in the Monitor section that has the NoMaxPClCheck and NoEdidMaxPClkCheck set. Without these settings the FX5200 will not output 1920x1080p.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Westinghouse"
ModelName "LCD Panel 1920x1080"
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.5 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 -hsync -vsync
Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080p" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Cheers
post #728 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

No company will have a perfect assembly line and espcially for electronics will most likely be worst of all goods. Hence, the return policy exist and we have to use it to protect ourselves. I'm just bummed about not having a return policy in the automobile market. Unless you can prove it as a lemon, you're keeping it with all the trouble that comes with it. And the lemon does exist in all brands and all goods. However, don't let one lemon sour your future experience, but be more cautious and smart to deal with it more promptly within the return policy.

Couldn't agree more about wishing there was a return policy on cars, I've had my share of ones with big problems. But a quick glance at this and other Westinghouse threads as well as my own experiences with the brand have honestly convinced me it's best to stay away. I have dealt with their (lack of) customer service, and in the process of getting my 32" sorted out I went through about 4 different TVs. Even the guys at bestbuy wered convinced westinghouse was crap after my experience.

NM
post #729 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post

Couldn't agree more about wishing there was a return policy on cars, I've had my share of ones with big problems. But a quick glance at this and other Westinghouse threads as well as my own experiences with the brand have honestly convinced me it's best to stay away. I have dealt with their (lack of) customer service, and in the process of getting my 32" sorted out I went through about 4 different TVs. Even the guys at bestbuy wered convinced westinghouse was crap after my experience.

NM

That's very interesting. I'd like to hear from others who may have a diff side of this.

Anyone really passionate about westinghouse?

I went to BB today and they had all their 1080p westy's (no 47" yet) playing a BB dvd (basically a BB commercial). I looked on the menu and it was 720x480, so I looked to see how it was hooked up and it was just rca even though the dvd player was an upconverting hdmi one. It really didn't look good at all, but I'm not sure if it was the BB dvd. Anyone have pics of these when playing SD?
post #730 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 PM

i've been thrilled with my 37" westy.

i use it for my pc, movies and games.

when i bought it, i was well aware that there may be better options, but they were also out of my price range.

show me something better then the westy 47" at the same price, and i'd love to take a look at it.
post #731 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxonTsun View Post

Can the original xbox really output 1080i? If so, how?

1080i has to be enabled in the MS dashboard, and XBMC has to be in 1080i as well. I've tried this out on a CRT RP and the picture was flickery (720p looked better), on a Dell 24" monitor the picture was kinda noisey, not the rock solid picture you get from a HTPC - a PC via DVI is really the way to go for HD content.
post #732 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBoiDan View Post

Any idea when this will arrive in Canadian stores? The 42" just arrived north of the border a month ago....

TOBoiDan,

I am in Edmonton and purchased the 47w1 set from BB last Tuesday. Got it on sale, plus a misprint on the tag landed me the 4yr performance service plan for next to nothing. Incredible deal, jumped on it immediately. Don't know why we are getting this before BB USA but I'm not complaining. Great set, so far.
post #733 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval View Post

That's very interesting. I'd like to hear from others who may have a diff side of this.

I went to BB today and they had all their 1080p westy's (no 47" yet) playing a BB dvd (basically a BB commercial). I looked on the menu and it was 720x480, so I looked to see how it was hooked up and it was just rca even though the dvd player was an upconverting hdmi one. It really didn't look good at all, but I'm not sure if it was the BB dvd. Anyone have pics of these when playing SD?

Whether or not to buy an "off-brand" is often been debated and I just thought I'd throw in my bit.

To set the stage the only HDTV I have ever owned (and still have) is the Syntax Olevia 30" LT30HV. I've had my LCD for about 1.5 years and I can say that most of the my alternatives back then that had similar resolution and size were easily 75% more expensive, often they were literally twice as much.

It seems as though the most common difference between the big name brands and the cheaper TVs is generally little annoyances in how the menus work, how the inputs switch, time it takes to switch, occasionally requiring a "reboot", etc.

Another factor is the processing that takes place under the hood. Since LCDs have fixed pixels, the processing becomes incredibly important. Some of you may recall Sony having "media receiver" boxes on their LCD/plasma displays a few years back. I hooked one of these up to my Synatx LCD via DVI, which gives a better idea as to image quality of the panel (glass) itself, isolating any upscaling/processing engine inside. You can achieve the same effect by connecting a computer and using different hardware/software for your multimedia needs. In the 1080p market, you could buy a Westy and spend another, perhaps $1500 or more on computer hardware and STILL come out cheaper than the big names.

The scary part is of course real serious problems with the display that severely hinder if not prevent viewing completely. I believe the incidence of this in the off-brand market is far lower than the annoyances I described above. However, if you buy from big retail you are generally safe for 30 days.

In the end it really comes down mostly to price. I am considering the Westy's because they offer high resolution, good number of ports (namely 2 DVIs) and I personally don't need built-in tuners. The simple fact is, I cannot actually afford to consider a 1080p display from a big name brand, they are beyond what I can reasonably spend.
post #734 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oval,

Honestly, the SD on this set is below average to average at best. I have a 26" Bravia which demolishes the Westy in the SD department. The real strength of this set lies with its HD output, which is stunning. All those HD inputs is another huge bonus with the Westy as well.
post #735 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have the exact same experiance at a local BB, they had EVERY other HDTV playing the inhouse HD feed, and they had the 1080p LCD playing a standard DVD throught the composite input. I would love to hear from others around the US if they are seeing the same thing. If you could post where you are and what you see, I'm curious.

I also noticed that they had almost every Westinghouse LCD in boxes, sitting in around the table they throw the returns on for redcuced sale. It smells like BB is getting the the heat from "the others" that it's time to cut loose the "budget" LCD or else.

mb1010

mb1010
post #736 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Oval,

Honestly, the SD on this set is below average to average at best. I have a 26" Bravia which demolishes the Westy in the SD department. The real strength of this set lies with its HD output, which is stunning. All those HD inputs is another huge bonus with the Westy as well.

I'm guessing that 26" is 1366x768. How do you think this 47" would compare in SD quality to other brands 1080p models of simular size panel (like samsung & sony 46")?
post #737 of 4028 Old 07-16-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm guessing that 26" is 1366x768. How do you think this 47" would compare in SD quality to other brands 1080p models of simular size panel (like samsung & sony 46")?

Oval,

I'm guessing that the SD quality on a similar size Sony or Sammy 1080P would not produce as big a difference. Unfortunately, the only other 1080P FP LCD sets currently available in Canada are the Sharps so I can't say for sure. I have not compared the SD on the Sharp vs the Westy.
post #738 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Oval,

keep in mind that when you are upconverting a cruddy 480i signal to 1080, and then put it on a large 47" panel, you bet you are going to see more degradation then on your small 36" screen.

Natural degression in my boo.
post #739 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy1010 View Post

I have the exact same experiance at a local BB, they had EVERY other HDTV playing the inhouse HD feed, and they had the 1080p LCD playing a standard DVD throught the composite input. I would love to hear from others around the US if they are seeing the same thing. If you could post where you are and what you see, I'm curious.

I also noticed that they had almost every Westinghouse LCD in boxes, sitting in around the table they throw the returns on for redcuced sale. It smells like BB is getting the the heat from "the others" that it's time to cut loose the "budget" LCD or else.
mb1010

It is evident that BB has cut the second and third rate large (>32") screen flat panels from their stock. This is because the name brands have been marked down. Price should not be the sole determining factor. Resolution, picture quality and reliability count for just as much.
To see just how bad LCD can be, take a trip to your local WalMart.
post #740 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

It is evident that BB has cut the second and third rate large (>32") screen flat panels from their stock. This is because the name brands have been marked down. Price should not be the sole determining factor. Resolution, picture quality and reliability count for just as much.

This is not the case in Canada. The Westy 42" as well as the 47" are on display playing the same HD loop as the big name brands. They seem to be pushing them equally at this point and at half the price. However, whatever they do in the US usually Canada follows suit shortly thereafter. I imagine when the Sony, Sammy and other big name brand 1080P LCD's start arriving in Canada the Westy's will be quickly forgotten by BB. After all, how can they sell a Sony at twice the price with less connectivity and nearly equal PQ.
post #741 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

they haven't cut anything from their stock. it's normal for quantities to start running low this time of year as older models get discontinued for newer ones in the fall.
post #742 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've had the 32w1 in my family room (for now ) for almost a year. It is my primary set and is used in conjunction with my Dish HD receiver via DVI and Xbox 360 via VGA. The performance, especially considering the price, has been great. My downstairs if very open with many windows, and my wife wouldn't concede to closing all the blinds and drapes just to watch TV (for all the plasma lovers and LCD naysayers). This set performs very well under the given circumstances.

The master bedroom has a 32" HD Sony CRT television and doesn't have so many windows. Due to the lighting and lack of HD source material, the CRT unit is a better fit for the master bedroom, especially since the best connection I have is s-video.

If your aren't happy with Westinghouse, that's fine, just don't come into this thread and state nonsensical blanket statements about their quality, especially if you don't provide any data or elaboration on your reasoning. I do know that people who aren't into HT like I am are amazed when watching DVD's or HD broadcast. You have quality approvals from two different perspectives: HT enthusiast and non-HT enthusiasts.
post #743 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post

....If your aren't happy with Westinghouse, that's fine, just don't come into this thread and state nonsensical blanket statements about their quality, especially if you don't provide any data or elaboration on your reasoning.....

Don't be so defensive. Most content is still SD and people are interested on how well LCD/plasmas deal with SD. I've seen the 42 with a HD-DVD and wasn't impressed, could have been a poor DVD or some other problem with the setup.

It would be interesting to know how the 47 shows the details in black areas compared to plasmas. Someone just did a side-by-side comparsion of samsung's LCD and plasma which was informative (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698867).
post #744 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 AM

I own the 42 inch set and just wanted to comment on SD picture on these things. If you are feeding it a 480i source it really should not look good. 480i to 1080p is a heck of a lot of video proccessing even for the higher end computers and upscalers and by no means a small feat. I think the genesis chip does a pretty good job with 480p material and a great job with 720p/1080i. My set has extremely limited banding which is only noticable on an all grey background and with the backlight and brightness turned much higher than would make for a good viewing picture. If you are total or almost total SD viewer get a EDTV or a 720p tv at most. For movies I think it looks best if you have an upscaling dvd player or seperate unit and put the signal out ot 720p or 1080i and let the westy handle the rest. You get a better picture then letting the westy do all the work and much better than SD in most instances. Share the work load is the best way to go with most high def sets and especially this and other 1080p sets.
post #745 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post

Don't be so defensive. Most content is still SD and people are interested on how well LCD/plasmas deal with SD. I've seen the 42 with a HD-DVD and wasn't impressed, could have been a poor DVD or some other problem with the setup.

It would be interesting to know how the 47 shows the details in black areas compared to plasmas. Someone just did a side-by-side comparsion of samsung's LCD and plasma which was informative (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=698867).

My problem doesn't stem from the end, rather the means.

You get what you pay for...Westinghouse products have pretty lousy quality and the company offers little to no support.

How does the product exhibit lousy quality? Were the reasons behind the dislike inherent to the LCD technology or Westinghouse's in general? The company released service codes to a forum member who was able to communicate with them on behalf of the AV community and get them to allow public access to these codes. That doesn't sound like a company that exudes poor service.

Add to that the lack of features available on other brands and you can see why these sets undercut the typical market prices.

Lack of features like true 1080p support on multiple inputs, 1:1 pixel mapping and no underscan? You should familiarize yourself with a particular set and it's features so that you know what to expect. I don't know what he thinks it lacks, but things like tuner and cable card are a non issue for a lot of people here. Westinghouse never claimed to be the Lexus of TV's, so don't discount their products because you have expectations beyond their target audience.

I don't see long threads about vertical banding for sharp, samsung, sony, panasonic, pioneer, or other reputable LCD manufactuers.

Every manufacturer and TV has it's quirks. If it's not VB it's something else like no 1080p inputs, speaker placement, overscan, etc.

My point is that you should justify your reasoning in a logical and factional manner. This goes for both the positive and negative aspects of any consumer electronic device. It just seems that there are so many people that love to bash 2nd and 3rd tier units for no reason.....
post #746 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've been extremely happy with my 47w1 so far. The picture quality is excellent and I haven't found any visual defects with it. SD TV looks to be on par with my old 55 Inch Mitsu rear-projection HD set. The Xbox360 really shows off the clarity of the TV. I'm using the VGA cable running at 1280x720 so I also get the added bonus of the up conversion of DVD's to 720p. That makes a huge difference on the set and lessens the desire to buy a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player. HD cable looks great as well in either 720p or 1080i.

The only thing I'm not happy with so far is how weak the remote is. I'm looking at purchasing a Harmony remote so that won't be a problem for long. I will at some point offer an in depth review when I get my calibration DVD's and tweak the unit. Even if I couldn't change a setting on the monitor I'd still be extremely pleased with the set.

Nothing can touch this unit for size, quality, and price!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #747 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM

I received my 47" Westy on Friday and thought I would chime in with some initial impressions.

I placed an order for the Westy on 7/5 with CF. It was delivered on Friday (7/14) in Maui, Hi in good condition. I connected the monitor to my htpc via DVI at 1920x1080. There were no problems with recognizing the monitor or setting the resolution. The picture is just astounding. Using the standard font size, it was a little difficult to read at about 6ft, but increasing the font size slightly would probably take care of that.

I fired up SageTV (PVR Application) using an interface that roughly mimics Windows MCE. It has a slightly graded blue background. I saw no evidence of any banding and I have not been able to identify any dead/stuck pixels. I don't have an HD source yet, but I have watched some DVD's and recorded SD television. (Also, I have not calibrated the monitor yet, but I did turn the backlight down to about 30) The DVD's look spectacular. They are clean and very life-like, though this is probably because the htpc (with nvidia purevideo decoder) is doing the scaling to 1080p. The SD television is hit or miss. It basically comes down to the overall brightness of the program. Dark scenes show obvious noise that make the picture look muddy. However programs/scenes that are bright look surprisingly good and fairly clean. Again, I am using an htpc to scale the output, so none of this speaks to the scaling ability of the Westy. The off-angle rise in black levels is also quite modest and is not at all distracting. I had one sync problem on DVI1 when I had to reboot the htpc, but switching to another input and then back to DVI1 cleared it up.

For now I am using the built-in speakers because with a small child (and two more due any day!) we don't have much opportunity to 'crank it up' and use the 5.1. I'm not an audiophile, but I am satisfied with the quality of the sound. Having the speakers pointing down instead of forward seems to allow the sound to fill the room more. I do not hear any buzzing or other sounds from the monitor, except the audible relay click when turning it on and off.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this monitor. My apologies if I rambled on a bit.

Aloha,
Mike
post #748 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 02:07 PM

here is my daily update on my cabinetry project. We cut out baseboards and crown moulding today, put the top on the lower cabinets and built and roughly setup the two side upper book cases:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/191987753/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/191987755/
post #749 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post

here is my daily update on my cabinetry project. We cut out baseboards and crown moulding today, put the top on the lower cabinets and built and roughly setup the two side upper book cases:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/191987753/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/191987755/

Looks fantastic so far......Question, Where are you planning on sitting. I see your piano where a couch should be.
post #750 of 4028 Old 07-17-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalerio View Post

Looks fantastic so far......Question, Where are you planning on sitting. I see your piano where a couch should be.

Good question. We are moving around rooms at the moment. Our current tv room is going to be our dining room, and our dining area is now going to have the piano. So the house is a complete wreck at the moment until this project is complete.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I just purchased a Peerless PLA-a arm mount for the Westy. This will enable me to pull the mount out up to 30 inches to make wire adjustments, as well as mount the unit much easier.

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/pr...d=PLA1&sg=FPSS
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse