Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1) - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Still waiting..................................................... ..................................................and waiting.........................and waiting......................they picked it up Friday and so far................still waiting..................................................... ....................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxonTsun View Post

Cleveland Plasma...I just might do it. But I'd really rather cut a deal with a "Miami Plasma" where I could go pick it up :-) Any Miami-based companies out there with this puppy??

well I was in luck as they had a unit in a warehouse in philly. I am driving up to morrow to pick it up, inspect it and bring it home... all with in 24hrs of initial call to order it.

I will post some pics thursday as I have too much going on tomorrow.

john

John crawford
john@crawfordweb.org
post #813 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 PM

anyone know if there is someone that can ship to Vancouver, B.C.?????????
post #814 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contaygious View Post

Hm.... one of the canadian member here claims to have picked one up from local BB in canada. Tried calling local BB?
post #815 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 09:20 PM

Does this, or any of the other Westinghouses, have an auto-contrast or dynamic-contrast "feature"? This is something that plagues many displays, and makes videophiles cringe. Thanks.
post #816 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Does this, or any of the other Westinghouses, have an auto-contrast or dynamic-contrast "feature"? This is something that plagues many displays, and makes videophiles cringe. Thanks.

not yet.
post #817 of 4028 Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

The samsungs have dynamic-contrast.

Why is this a plague?
What about it makes videophiles cringe?

Samsung does a great job at marketing their panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsungs site View Post

While viewing either very bright or very dark scenes, it can be difficult to distinguish main images which blend into the background. Dynamic Contrast dramatically mitigates this problem by adjusting the backlight intensity, providing up to a 6X improvement in contrast.

But whats got me really looking at the samsungs is the CCFL with 92% color coverage vs. the wesy's 75% / the 10-bit processor with 12.8 billion colors vs. westy's 8-bit processor with 16.7 million colors, because I feel this may help with banding and overall PQ.

I am really in between these two sets. I just wish I could see them side by side playing the same content, so I could see if the samsung is better (and if so, is it better to the point that it is worth the premium) or if it is marketing hype.
post #818 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked Best Buy here in Ottawa. The salesman looked it up in the system and said they have 30 at the Brampton warehouse.

Larry
post #819 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

Guys, i have been biten by the Westinhouse bug. I was thinking about a 50-55 inch plasma, maybe the hitachi or the Maxent for cheap. Will I miss the extra 3-8 inches in a 12 x 13 room from about 9 ft away?

Also any B&M stores stock the unit in the Seattle area?

Given the size of the room and distance you probably won't notice a thing.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XB1 l PS4 l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR
post #820 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval View Post

But whats got me really looking at the samsungs is the CCFL with 92% color coverage vs. the wesy's 75% / the 10-bit processor with 12.8 billion colors vs. westy's 8-bit processor with 16.7 million colors, because I feel this may help with banding and overall PQ.

The Samsung's overscan their images and cannot be avoided. If you understand what overscan does, you feed it 1920x1080, it crops it down to 1820x980 then resizes to fit the screen. That is not what I consider 1080p. For obvious reasons avoid any display that does this.
post #821 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post

My daily cabinetry update (for those who care).

Day 3. Half of the upper shelves are built, the upper crown was put up, and doors were partially built off site. Lower shelf for electronic equipment was built. All shelves have a 2.5" front lip that prevent shelf from buckling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/192906086/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/192906087/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94378656@N00/192906088/

I am moving the canned lights tomorrow away from the cabinets, and will not put an electrical outlet behind the Westinghouse. I am thinking that I will poke a hole in the wall and run the electical cord down into the wall and out to the bottom where there is an existing outlet. I have a few conditioners that I would rather plug the unit into, and they will be down below with the other electronics.

For those that are not interested in the project, or think this is off topic, I can always post to another forum that is more appropriate. No worries, but I thought other Westinghouse 47" owners would get some benefit out of my project.

Very nice wood work. I am just wondering, are you going to move the piano? Also, I would rather put in an outlet, would be pretty easy to do, running a cord through the inside of the wall may not be the safe thing to do and is against code. In case of fire, your insurance may give you grief.
post #822 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 AM

Yes, the piano is being moved (obviously it is in the way). All of my rooms are being moved around at the moment. Not fun at the moment with few places to sit down and watch my new LCD.

I was thinking the same thing about the negative with running the cord through the wall. I wonder if somebody makes a wall outlet that has a surge suppressor built in that is of a decent quality? I already have inline surge suppressors on both phases in my new 200 amp panel outside (1950s house that had 60 amp service when I bought the place). One suppressor for each phase. You never know!
post #823 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 AM

Would it look bad to use a hole saw and put a small hole to pass your power and hookup cables to the cabinet below?
post #824 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelle View Post

Would it look bad to use a hole saw and put a small hole to pass your power and hookup cables to the cabinet below?

That is exactly what we are talking about. Scroll back a page or two to see more of the conversation on the subject. I am now cooling off to that idea, in favor of just a wall plate.

What do other people do for power conditioning or for surges for mounted plasmas/lcds? nothing?
post #825 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Ah, so I see, I read all that, just forgot you were wall mounting it. That is going to be an awesome setup, I had to put mine in a corner, but I would love a wall unit like that. I wonder if there is some sort of conduit, you could put in the wall to run everything down to and thence hide all your connections and cables and yet be safe too? Good luck and looking forward to more pics.
post #826 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 08:12 AM

Hello,
I just got a LVM-47w1 from Crutchfield and it works great, but I have a small problem. It appears that the base was not attached level, so the whole unit leans forward a noticable amount (~3 deg). All the manual pictures show it completely verticle so I'll go with the assumption that is is not correct.

Since the unit can be wall mounted I figured that the base stand would be removed when wall mounted and that if it can be removed it could be adjusted. The problem is I can't find any instructions to prove that the default stand can be removed, and removing all the screws from the bottom of the stand didn't seem to have any effect.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to correct this,
Thanks in advance
post #827 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 AM

I have noticed some of the noise on the right and top end of the picture on my Westy with SD content. Is there no way to get rid of this? I would prefer to do so by overscanning or whatever if possible.
post #828 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am really in between these two sets. I just wish I could see them side by side playing the same content, so I could see if the samsung is better (and if so, is it better to the point that it is worth the premium) or if it is marketing hype.

from all the samsung on display I saw at best buy, even the new 1080 ones, I am not sure if this is a blue ray issue contrast is great, however the visible noise is very annoying compare to the HDDVD on the westy.

Yes contrast is great which is also marketing esp with the 5000:1 at best I would say its 1500:1 the blacks were very nice indeed on the sammy.

the main thing to keep in mind is price/ perfomance ration. on that note the westy is ahead.
post #829 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Yes, the piano is being moved (obviously it is in the way). All of my rooms are being moved around at the moment. Not fun at the moment with few places to sit down and watch my new LCD.

I was thinking the same thing about the negative with running the cord through the wall. I wonder if somebody makes a wall outlet that has a surge suppressor built in that is of a decent quality? I already have inline surge suppressors on both phases in my new 200 amp panel outside (1950s house that had 60 amp service when I bought the place). One suppressor for each phase. You never know!

Instead why dont you run the cord down w/ a track (paint it white to match) and continue w/ the original plan of hving it hooked up w/ the suppressor underneath?
post #830 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalerio View Post

Instead why dont you run the cord down w/ a track (paint it white to match) and continue w/ the original plan of hving it hooked up w/ the suppressor underneath?

I have thought of that, but visually it isn't very appealing to me. The other option is to do as you say, but also mount the display very close to the bottom of the unit (which is the plan, but not as low as to not see the track in the back).
post #831 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salarn View Post

Hello,
I just got a LVM-47w1 from Crutchfield and it works great, but I have a small problem. It appears that the base was not attached level, so the whole unit leans forward a noticable amount (~3 deg). All the manual pictures show it completely verticle so I'll go with the assumption that is is not correct.

Since the unit can be wall mounted I figured that the base stand would be removed when wall mounted and that if it can be removed it could be adjusted. The problem is I can't find any instructions to prove that the default stand can be removed, and removing all the screws from the bottom of the stand didn't seem to have any effect.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to correct this,
Thanks in advance

Remove these four screws to remove the stand:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/axelolmos/189061699/

I don't recall there being much room for adjustment. Perhaps the stand
is bent?
post #832 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have thought of that, but visually it isn't very appealing to me. The other option is to do as you say, but also mount the display very close to the bottom of the unit (which is the plan, but not as low as to not see the track in the back).

Too bad you are using the wall as the back of the units since if they had backs you could simply have the back of the center section be a little shallower than the others and run all your cables between it and the wall. I guess you could still do that, just build a false back set out 1.5 to 2" from the real wall.
post #833 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

Too bad you are using the wall as the back of the units since if they had backs you could simply have the back of the center section be a little shallower than the others and run all your cables between it and the wall. I guess you could still do that, just build a false back set out 1.5 to 2" from the real wall.

that does sound awesome. A false back and since your getting a mounting arm just pull it out some.
post #834 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval View Post

The samsungs have dynamic-contrast.

Why is this a plague?
What about it makes videophiles cringe?

Samsung does a great job at marketing their panels.

It has been estimated that the human eye can distinguish roughly 10 million different colors (certainly not billions!)

When they quote "percentage of NTSC" they may be referring to the original 1953 color gamut which was never reached in real life, due to the limitation of color phosphors in picture tubes. The standard was downgraded in 1979 to reflect what was actually achievable.

But what about the ATSC color standard (HDTV/Digital broadcast)? I couldn't find a definitive answer, but it appears that ATSC AND NTSC are similar in color gamut
(but WHICH NTSC?) One reviewer said they are "slightly different."

One review I found of a Sony SXRD front projector said it had two color gamut settings (normal, approximating NTSC, and wide.). When the reviewer switched to "wide," the colors appeared more richer and vibrant, but also resulted in inaccurate colors when trying to reproduce NTSC color standard video.

A review of the Westinghouse LTV-40W1 by Peter Putman dated May 9, 2006 stated that the set "turned in the best performance I've seen to date for an LCD display. This is a level of performance some plasma TV's can't match- and they're using phosphors instad of color microfilters. He included a photograph from his color testing equipment showing the plotted triangle. Note that Westinghouse claims a color gamut of 75% NTSC on its current sets.

So the question remains.. how important is "color gamut?"
post #835 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinraven View Post

Yes contrast is great which is also marketing esp with the 5000:1 at best I would say its 1500:1 the blacks were very nice indeed on the sammy.

The rule of thumb for Samsung's "dynamic contrast" is: divide by 5 to get the actual contrast ratio.

So the 5000:1 panels are really 1000:1.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
post #836 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post

( can't post URLs yet )

is bent?

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm just hoping that there was an over zealous scew turner and I can reseat the stand level and tighten it all back up. If the stand is bent the next best thing would be getting a replacement stand and not reshipping the entire TV.
post #837 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Are you sure these units aren't available in BB's in Vancouver yet??? I got mine from BB south location in Edmonton over a week ago.
post #838 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

We can, and that was the original idea. The problem comes down to safety and rigidity. We didn't feel as confident going down that path, however. We would have to secure the false back to the side of the side cabinets, which would be screws into the side of a 1.5" thick plywood. Imagine two sheets of plywood that have been glued together with perhaps a few screws in the middle to keep it together.

In the end, I felt better going into the studs of the wall. The problem is that the mount I purchased needs to be right exactly mounted between 2 studs. So I am going to cut out some drywall and mount a 2" thick piece of board that is itself mounted to the studs, and then I will mount the display into the centered piece of wood.
post #839 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 01:25 PM

My Westy came in today, ordered it from CF last week. No dead or stuck pixels found.
post #840 of 4028 Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Olmos View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axelolmos/189061699/

is bent?

How did you lay the screen down to remove the screws?

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page