Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanblair View Post

Just a hint for the Canadians out there. I'm from northern Ontario and will be getting my 47" from Winnipeg. I phoned the bestbuy there yesterday and asked if they would price match with Cruthfield.com and they said no problem.

OMG! Even if no other BestBuy in all of Canada will do this price match, I'd be willing to drive to Winnipeg to save $500-$1000. Maybe I'll grab a truck and buy one for contaygious in Vancouver too and go around western Canada like Santa delivering to all the boys and girls. Thanks for the heads up! This (could) be awesome news! Perhaps BRAC should go breathe down some necks at Edm BB with your 9 day old receipt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=FasterTiVoPlease]
... Here are my complaints so far:

1. In a dark room, the backlighting is hard to get used to. Watching Star Wars EP3 the black-bars are very bright and annoying. I have the backlight setting set to 0. I guess this is a problem for all LCD screens though. Even with a totally black screen, the TV is still lighting up the room!
[quote]

I had not heard about this brightness problem with LCDs in a dark room. Is it also a problem with using plasmas in a darkened room?
post #903 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanblair View Post

Just a hint for the Canadians out there. I'm from northern Ontario and will be getting my 47" from Winnipeg. I phoned the bestbuy there yesterday and asked if they would price match with Cruthfield.com and they said no problem. Take Cruthfield's price and convert using:

XE.com

I don't think you can beat that.

Now a question:

It will fit in the back seat of the Civic out of the box, has anyone else transported in this manner?? I would wrap with lots of blankets and secure it using the seatbelts.

WOW, never thought of that, what a great idea, thanks for the cross-border-price-matching-strategy

Now let's see if Montreal's BB are willing to stretch a little bit...
post #904 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=chuckvb][quote=FasterTiVoPlease]

1. In a dark room, the backlighting is hard to get used to. Watching Star Wars EP3 the black-bars are very bright and annoying. I have the backlight setting set to 0. I guess this is a problem for all LCD screens though. Even with a totally black screen, the TV is still lighting up the room!
Quote:

I had not heard about this brightness problem with LCDs in a dark room. Is it also a problem with using plasmas in a darkened room?

Good question. With the best plasmas it is not a problem. With the latest LCDs from Samsung it is probably still pretty good.
But for second and third tier LCDs panels (such as the case in point) it is not recommended. Sorry, but this is what you get for saving money
post #905 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well I guess this is another place were the contrast ratio comes into play. If it's capable of a high contrast ratio that generally means it's capable of deep blacks and to be capable of deep blacks it can't let much light pass through the LCD when black is on screen. Thus a LCD with a high contrast ration will probably have less of the problem described above.

Given that I usually like to watch none movie TV (Have a projector for that) I like to have on some ambiance lights and not a totally dark room. Thus this may not be a deterrence for me.
post #906 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYBZ View Post

WOW, never thought of that, what a great idea, thanks for the cross-border-price-matching-strategy

Now let's see if Montreal's BB are willing to stretch a little bit...

Hey fellow Canadians, if this cross-boarder-price-matching-strategy actually works for any of you, let me know so I can go back to BB and raise some hell. Much appreciated. Actually, I can't get to mad because I got the 4yr service plan so cheap.
post #907 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
DNW

I just received my Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1) two days ago. Thus far, all I have done is plug in the HDMI cable and watch TV. I had a previous Soyo 32" television in the same location, so the stand and cable box (Cablevision, NY), were already in place. Here are my initial reactions/thoughts based upon just some channel surfing:

1. Crutchfield delivery was very good. I had to give them a several hour time frame, but they showed up on time and made the delivery without problems. They said it would be a two man delivery, but just one guy showed up. He unboxed the set and put it on my stand. When I got home, I just plugged in the HDMI cable and power cord.

2. Picture quality through my Scientific American Sa8300HD cable box is excellent. I watched a little bit of a Yankee baseball game on the Yes network and was really wowed. In flipping through the various HDTV stations, both pay and network TV, I have no issues whatsoever, everything looks great.

3. The TV has an impressive array of connection options, all conveniently located and easily accessible.

4. We had a vast thunder storm about 20 miles north of NYC a couple of days ago. The set 'locked up'. I had to unplug the power cord, but when I plugged it back in , all was fine.

5. The TV has only two picture size modes, Standard and Fill. Of course, you would use Standard for HDTV, but for standard definition TV, you could use either. I don't perceive much difference between the two modes. Fill slightly expands the picture both horizonally and vertically. (It does NOT expand the picture to fill the screen, which I would not do anyhow), there is still a lot of unused space on the right and left sides.

The vertical expansion is important because of a minor issue I am having, and that is a thin horizontal line of 'interference' (I don't quite know how else to describe it) at the very top of the picture in Standard mode. This interference goes away in Fill mode. I must stress that this interference issue has nothing to do with HDTV, it occurs only with SDTV, and not with every SDTV station, just some stations. It is possible that this would disappear with component video, or some connection other than HDMI, but I have not yet tried other types of connections.

This interference is somewhat distracting and annoying, but not a major problem for those that will watch SDTV (which as I have stated previously, will be only a little bit for me.)

6. I cannnot seem to find a means of controlling the television's on/off and volume with my cable box remote, so I am stuck juggling two remotes. When I first got the set, I could control the volume with my cable box remote, and after the storm I cannot find a means of doing so. Maybe I changed a setting and just forgot what it was. I would like to use just the cable box remote, if anyone has an idea as to how I can control the TV's volume and on/off with the cable box remote, please let me know.

------------------

In terms of my overall set up, this is my secondary TV. Accordingly, I don't have a sound system, but I might add one if I end up watching 'for real' on this set.My main TV is a six year old Sony HP-61HS10 which I plan on replacing with either a 72" 1080p Samsung (waiting for the current model to be released) or possibly a projector. For my main TV, I have a very good sound system with Denon AVR-5800 receiver, DD5.1 sound, etc. For that system, I also have a remote, the Harmony 880. For that system I am running DirecTV and have two hidef DirectTV Tivos. In fact, the only system on whch I am running Cablevision is my Westinghouse, for all my other sets I use satellite.

If you have any questions, comment fire away
post #908 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Hey fellow Canadians, if this cross-boarder-price-matching-strategy actually works for any of you, let me know so I can go back to BB and raise some hell. Much appreciated. Actually, I can't get to mad because I got the 4yr service plan so cheap.

Well, actually I'm back from BB and they won't price match Crutchfield...

Maybe they'll change their mind when I'll go cash in hand

But at least, I've been able to see the set in person, it was seating right beside a Samsung LNS4692 (46, 768p) which was much more colourful than the Westy, and the result was that you could clearly see much more detail in the Samsung picture, also it was more much life like.

I've tried the following settings on the Westy:

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Hue 0
Sharpness 0
Backlight 30

I took those as a starting point, and I've played with them, and I never was able to get close to the Samsung PQ, the source was a DVD upconverted to 1080i and the Westy was doing the deinterlacing to display at 1080p...

Am I missing something there I was pretty much sold on the Westy or was I expecting too much, and that's what you get for a super-value HDTV?
post #909 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Hi, this forum and thread has been a tremendous help but also has arose doubts in my mind.

I currently have the 4095D from Samsung and I'm still within my return window. I really liked the picture on the samsung but seeing the westinhouse as a much better value I'm just wondering if anyone could speak to the comparision between the 47" WH and the 40" Samsung.

I'm currently feeding the samsung HTPC feed over RGB (the HDMI feed can only get to work at 1080i) and I like the WH for its inputs. Lack of tuner doesn't bother me at all. The only thing I like is that its 7 inches more for less money, so if anyone can speak to the quality comparison of these two sets that would really help me decide whether to pick up the WH and trade in the samsung or stick with the samsung.
post #910 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:

it was seating right beside a Samsung LNS4692 (46, 768p) which was much more colourful than the Westy

The big problem that I have with buying the Westy at this point in time is that I can't seem to find a professional review of the thing anywhere!

The color problem you experienced might be specific to the set you saw, or it might be indicative of a real limitation in the design, but until we see a review that compares it to established standards and rates it, we're just guessing.
post #911 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExxonTsun View Post

The big problem that I have with buying the Westy at this point in time is that I can't seem to find a professional review of the thing anywhere!

The color problem you experienced might be specific to the set you saw, or it might be indicative of a real limitation in the design, but until we see a review that compares it to established standards and rates it, we're just guessing.

Review of the 42" model, there are others but I dont have the links.
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...LVM-42w2p1.php
post #912 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:

you are giving too much importance to the so called professional reviews when on this forum we can read dozen of reviews from actual owners which ALL seem to be very pleased with the excellent picture quality of this display.
And also you seem to focus on the only guy who doesn't actually owns it but just compared it in store.

Now just to recap these 30 plus pages.........am i wrong or none of the owners have found a reason to return this set yet?
Please let us know. Thanks

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
post #913 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

you are giving too much importance to the so called professional reviews

I understand your point, and I value the opinions here greatly.

However, professional reviews are also a great source of information and I don't think they should be dismissed as useless.

I want to make the best decision that I can, and to do that I need as much information as possible. A decent selection of professional reviews is an important part of that, especially for a set that is nearly impossible to preview in person.

I'll be waiting for the reviews and for the opportunity to see one at a store before I pull the trigger.
post #914 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

Now just to recap these 30 plus pages.........am i wrong or none of the owners have found a reason to return this set yet?

Good point! I am sure that if someone was that displeased we would have heard about this. Everyone is going to have little issues about this and that, but nothing major I have read. I personally did ask for demo pricing on this unit today. I do not need anything for my home (as my NEC PX-50XR5 is doing just fine), however a 47" 1080P monitor to go with my Dell XPS at the office, I think would be a OK. I think you guys are getting to me.
post #915 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But at least, I've been able to see the set in person, it was seating right beside a Samsung LNS4692 (46, 768p) which was much more colourful than the Westy, and the result was that you could clearly see much more detail in the Samsung picture, also it was more much life like.

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Hue 0
Sharpness 0
Backlight 30

I took those as a starting point, and I've played with them, and I never was able to get close to the Samsung PQ, the source was a DVD upconverted to 1080i and the Westy was doing the deinterlacing to display at 1080p...

Am I missing something there I was pretty much sold on the Westy or was I expecting too much, and that's what you get for a super-value HDTV?

Settings really depend on the peripheral and also which interconnects it's using. Anyway, under most BB demo floor lighting conditions, I would set the backlight to 50+ depends on how bright the demo floor is, however starting at 50 would be good for demo purpose with all other settings at 50 or default..

I know the factory default on 47" is neutral color mode and the backlight at 80 with all other settings at the center. I really don't remember how the default setting looks, because first thing I did was going into SM and changed the RGB under color mode warm and it's been great so far. The view angle is much improved over prior models and the blacks also look great. I'll play more in depth and will try to take some picture over the weekend.
post #916 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=reincarnate][quote=chuckvb]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterTiVoPlease View Post

Good question. With the best plasmas it is not a problem. With the latest LCDs from Samsung it is probably still pretty good.
But for second and third tier LCDs panels (such as the case in point) it is not recommended. Sorry, but this is what you get for saving money

You're wrong again. Sammy LCD will not be any better in the dark unless you have a special luminometer just to measure Sammy. Unless the LCD market moves to mcro-LED or OLED, the black bars will shine...... so would for the plasma but in lesser degree.
post #917 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I understand your point, and I value the opinions here greatly.

However, professional reviews are also a great source of information and I don't think they should be dismissed as useless.

you are misquoting me........read carefully..I've never said pro reviews are useless nor that they should be dismissed.......I only said that "you are giving too much importance to the so called professional reviews" and pointed out that you were not paying attention to so many great reviews from the owners and posters of this forum, which are the reason we all come here.
As far as pro reviews like someone else already said, you may find several very positive for the Westy 42" which is basically the same unit just smaller size.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/lcds/506west/

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...LVM-42w2p1.php

Plasma LCD or SED ?
AVS Forums Procedure
post #918 of 4028 Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 PM

I recently e-mailed the editors at Home Theater Magazine to see if they were planning to review the 47" Westinghouse. The review of the 42" was very thorough and very positive. They have no plans to do so at present. It was their opinion that the 47" is probably similar to the 42" in quality.

On another subject, just because the Westinghouse is cheaper, does not necessarily mean the quality is substandard. The people behind Westinghouse seem to be very bright and accomplished, and they may have a better business plan that the bigger companies. Turn out just a few models, buy other vendors' technology rather than spending big bucks on your own research, avoid the huge corporate beaurocracy and overhead, and know what makes a good state of the art set. In addition, they have suggested that other companies keep the price of their LCD sets artifically high to avoid undercutting their own plasma models. Westinghouse also says it can respond faster to drops in LCD panel prices. So make what you will of all this. It's just something else to consider in the whole mix.
post #919 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 AM

any news when these will be in the US Best Buys? Specifically west coast?
post #920 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post

Fill slightly expands the picture both horizonally and vertically. (It does NOT expand the picture to fill the screen, which I would not do anyhow), there is still a lot of unused space on the right and left sides.

Are you sure you have your cable box configured to output 480i or 480p for SD channels? (You can verify this in the Westy's menu.) Sounds like you don't. For a true 4:3 image in, Fill mode does stretch to fill the screen. If your cable box is upconverting the SD channel to 720p or 1080i, then Fill mode will act as you describe.

Quote:

I must stress that this interference issue has nothing to do with HDTV, it occurs only with SDTV, and not with every SDTV station, just some stations.

You will likely also see it with HD channels that are showing SD-embedded shows, like your local news. And you may find it has less to do with particular stations, and more vagary of how the Westy locks onto the signal.
post #921 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 AM

Quote:

As far as pro reviews like someone else already said, you may find several very positive for the Westy 42" which is basically the same unit just smaller size.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new gizmo based on the review of last year's model.

Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here. I couldn't be happier with this forum. I just want to see more information about the set out there. Kinda strange to me that it's not there, considering how universally fantastic the opinion here is. Am I the only one that thinks that's odd?
post #922 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new gizmo based on the review of last year's model.

Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here. I couldn't be happier with this forum. I just want to see more information about the set out there. Kinda strange to me that it's not there, considering how universally fantastic the opinion here is. Am I the only one that thinks that's odd?

I don't think you're taking into consideration the fact that the 47" is basically the 42" model, just a larger screen size. The same technology is used in both sets, thus, if the 42" model was reviewed by a "professional" and received good ratings, then the 47" would fall in line with those ratings. This is why the "professionals" are probably not rating the 47"; it will perform just like the 42" version.
post #923 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Hue 0
Sharpness 0
Backlight 30

Definitely, don't give up on the Westy yet. When I was looking at the 42w2 awhile back, I had the same problem with one particular display model. I could not get that TV to look good no matter what adjustments I made. I almost wrote off the Westy's at that point. Walked into a BB at a different location about a week later, they had a 42w2 beside a Sony 46S2000 and the new Sharp 45" 720p(can't recall model). Playing around with all 3 sets on their house HD loop, I had the Westy ranked first with the Sony a close second and the Sharp third. The Sony was admitedly brighter(excessively), colours were about equal but the Westy looked more natural to me. I would have picked up the 42w2 that day if I didn't know the 47w1 was on the way.

Not really sure why one 42w2 looked so much better than the other. Maybe it had something to do with the signal feeding the display???

One thing is for sure though, the Sony was much better for off center viewing. Not really an issue for me.
post #924 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, they are both the same model year.
post #925 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 AM

Just thought I'd share this tidbit.

I emailed Best Buy about the availability of the LVM-47w1 and LVM-37w3, both for online and retail store sales.

Well, looks like they're lazy about IT work in Canada since the reply I got was from Future Shop rather than Best Buy. See in Canada, when BB arrived, they simply integrated with Future Shop, as you can see if you go to BB US and Canadian websites and then Future Shop. Anyway here was Future Shop's reply:

in regards to your inquiry on the availability of the Westinghouse LCD LVM-47w1 and LVM-37w3. We have confirmed that there are no plans to carry this item with Future Shop at the current time.

Does anyone have info on the availability at Best Buy stores in Canada? I know some of you have already bought them from those stores. It looks like emailing them is a waste of time and I am quite sure a phone call would be equally pointless. Maybe I should speak to a manager at the local store?
post #926 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The vertical expansion is important because of a minor issue I am having, and that is a thin horizontal line of 'interference' (I don't quite know how else to describe it) at the very top of the picture in Standard mode. This interference goes away in Fill mode. I must stress that this interference issue has nothing to do with HDTV, it occurs only with SDTV, and not with every SDTV station, just some stations. It is possible that this would disappear with component video, or some connection other than HDMI, but I have not yet tried other types of connections.

This interference is somewhat distracting and annoying, but not a major problem for those that will watch SDTV (which as I have stated previously, will be only a little bit for me.)

Are you talking about the closed caption information? This is usually in the overscan area on CRT or CRT-based sets.

--Mike
post #927 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:

I think what you are referring to is typical whenever you have a product from a smaller brand that presents exceptional value. People who seek out information are likely to catch on to the great value they present.

However, on the side of professional publications (print/web/etc.) they are often not free to report on any product. Also, big names spend big money to get awareness of their products out there, which includes professional reviews and the like.

Despite all that, there is a fair amount of information on the web about all of these Westinghouse monitors. Just use Google and sort through the useless results, you will find quite a few pages of useful information, and plenty of buyer feedback.
post #928 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:

you are giving too much importance to the so called professional reviews when on this forum we can read dozen of reviews from actual owners which ALL seem to be very pleased with the excellent picture quality of this display.
And also you seem to focus on the only guy who doesn't actually owns it but just compared it in store.

Please let us know. Thanks

I love mine and am totally happy with it!
post #929 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebob9 View Post

- Having problems with my DVI inputs and my PC. Not sure if its the Panel or the Card. If I boot up with the DVI-1 as my input, I get glorious looking 1080p. If I then switch inputs, and switch back, my picture is all messed up. Haven't found a way to fix it yet, other than rebooting. However, DVI-2 input has wierd pixel garbage on the edge, even upon a clean boot up. I'm leaning toward the Vid card as cause of DVI-1 problems, but I think DVI-2 is the panel.

ebob9

I was experiencing exactly the same problem as you did with an almost identical video card (x800xl). If you are using catalyst control center there is a fix.

Open CCC
expand digital panel properties
select attributes
uncheck reduce dvi frequency on high-resolution displays

DVI-1 will give you a perfect pixel mapping at 1080p and not lose sync while changing inputs, turning off the tv, etc etc. Have not tested with DVI-2.
post #930 of 4028 Old 07-21-2006, 08:23 AM

One feature with the westy seems to be lacking.

The aspect ratio options. The westy only has 2 (standard, fill), where as the stardard with other brands seems to be around 4 (stardard/4:3, zoom1, zoom2, and some kind of stretch mode).

Someone posted about 4:3 not taking up the whole screen when in fill mode. Can someone confirm that?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page