Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is not usual banding seen in a gradient pattern. This is a 4-5" strip that is a darker on the side of the screen but only with certain backgrounds.

The set also has a flicker issue in the center of the screen, with certain patterns or photos, Ive seen it on VGA and component, will test others.

Issues are only seen if very specific patterns or photos are on the screen, but once you see it you cant miss it again. The flicker concerns me more, as I like to look at photos on the set.

Its not something I'd return the set for, but I dont think exchanging will help, it seems related to the system software.

HDTV sources look amazing...

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"This is a 4-5" strip that is a darker on the side of the screen but only with certain backgrounds."

yes that is because of uneven backlighting it's fairly normal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1083 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Zoom In/Fill
I'm a new member who's been lurking and learning about the westy 47" because I'm looking for a good monitor for a Dell XPS computing/entertainment system.I currently have 4 zoom options from my Onkyo DVD player (Zoom Off,Zoom 1, Zoom 2 and Zoom 3). Will those options be available to me if I connect the DVD player directly to the westy? Or will I be limited to the "Fill" option of the westy? TIA
post #1084 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

"This is a 4-5" strip that is a darker on the side of the screen but only with certain backgrounds."

yes that is because of uneven backlighting it's fairly normal

I thought backlight issues made more random patterns, not a distinct strip?

Will individual sets all be different, I really dont want to start the swapping hassle game unless it will help?

Test Your Display,
:
post #1085 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 PM

i'll try a dvd on my ps3 tonight to see if it can fill the screen. i'm getting a 360 this weekend to use as a upconvertor tho anyway. i'll measure and repor the max height to place the tv as well.

Tay
post #1086 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 PM

you have PS3????
post #1087 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyve View Post

Zoom In/Fill
I'm a new member who's been lurking and learning about the westy 47" because I'm looking for a good monitor for a Dell XPS computing/entertainment system.I currently have 4 zoom options from my Onkyo DVD player (Zoom Off,Zoom 1, Zoom 2 and Zoom 3). Will those options be available to me if I connect the DVD player directly to the westy? Or will I be limited to the "Fill" option of the westy? TIA

You won't be limited, you can still use your player zoom options (the Westy will show whatever is fed into it).

BTW, welcome!
post #1088 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 06:01 PM

I just got home with a sony upconverting dvd player from circuit city... the s75 ..

anyway alll I get is a green display when I use the hdmi and it does not upconvert to 1080i on component. ...

it is going back in the morning.

anyone else have any issues with upconverting dvd players?

John crawford

post #1089 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

"Will individual sets all be different,"

Yes, users in the westy 42 inch thread have reported varying degrees of banding, seen some pics and it can get bad, mine is not bad at all.

The backlights are lined up vertically every 4-6 inches on the TV, the banding occurs on that strip where the backlight is running.

Reducing Brightness below 55 I've found helps, you also may want to play with contrast and the backlight option the lower the better.

post #1090 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

The backlights are lined up vertically every 4-6 inches on the TV, the banding occurs on that strip where the backlight is running. ...

Thanks, just had a look at the 42" thread you mentioned, my head is spinning, 59 pages or so... It also mentioned a service menu, but I could not find the post detailing how to get in...

I tried your suggestion and changing the settings does mask the issue somewhat, but its disappointing to hear all sets are different. Sounds like I may have to do some swapping, not looking forward to that

Mine is only really on one side as you say about 4-6 inches from the right.

If you know, what happens if you call Westinghouse, is it considered defect or just within tolerances?

Has anyone reported flickering issues as well?

Test Your Display,
:
post #1091 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

Oh no...I just noticed the same on mine

Its only seen with test patterns , not with video.

if you only see it on test patterns why do you even care????????

Plasma LCD or
?

post #1092 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 07:05 PM

oops i meant ps2 haha. but yeah i have a ps3 at work
post #1093 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM

I do not only see it on test patterns I see it on light color background video. And to top it all off I was just watching Thunderheart on Dish Network in High Def and its there on Component input as well. This is definately a problem with the Monitor and I'm recondering replacing it vs. getting a another monitor.

Anyone know a comparible monitor in 1080p? I'm really bummed as nothing beats this price and size. And besides this issue the TV is perfect.

Should I take another chance with a replacement? How many out there do not having this issue?

Sorry if I made people aware of this problem when they weren't aware. But it may help someone who is within the return period.
post #1094 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

if you only see it on test patterns why do you even care????????

Actually, its better said I can duplicate the issue using test patterns but not watching random video.

My main reason for the Westy was to use it as a HTPC monitor, so the banding will show up in PC use as well.

Thanks for making me aware, I'd rather find out now when I have a return option instead of a week after...

Test Your Display,
:
post #1095 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 PM

I would think it would be really obvious using a computer as most of the time you have a static background. This issue really stands out on a light non moving background. But once you know its there it really bugs you as you are always looking for it.
post #1096 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 PM

I am unable to reproduce your problems on my 47" westy...

could you share some of the test patterns that make the problem more obvious?

I would like to find out if my unit has the issue also, although I have really tried to find any light falloff on the screen.

so far my only problems with this unit... and this may be issues with other lcds as well, is the non-scaling of 480 source material... instead you have to use a fill mode to get the whole picture... it correctly scales 720p just fine so I do not know why they would cripple 480.

John crawford

post #1097 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

not all panels will have banding.... Some will show very faint signs, but I think I would consider getting it exchanged if the verticle banding is stationary with a solid background. I've seen picture of it from the 42" thread and when it is severe, it's almost unbearable. Just consider yourself unlucky to pick out a bad one. I hope your replacement unit will be better. Anyway, the banding issue on any brand LCD is as common as stuck/dead pixels. Some are more noticeable than others, but that this the limitation of current LCD technology. However, you'll only get those bad ones if you're unlucky.........
post #1098 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 PM

My Wife just caught me looking at the Sony XBR 46 inch 1080p LCDs and she had a fit. Guess if others on this board have the TV without this issue I'll stick with it. The Sony is $4600 for one inch less.

Although the average person would miss it when I showed my wife she was like yep its real. I hope CF sends a perfect unit next time. With my luck the next tv won't have banding but will have dead pixals.

Anyone else notice this banding or is your TV defect free?
post #1099 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle17 View Post

could you share some of the test patterns that make the problem more obvious?

Just shut the HD room down for the night, I'll try to find some time tomorrow to post some test patterns that show the issue, and some photos of the band I see. I'll probably just go to BestBuy check out the floor model and maybe get another set, compare the 2 and keep the best. Don't want to do a swap as this may be the better one!

To those considering the set, dont read too much into this, any HD set has issues. I went through a DLP nightmare once with a floor model.

I just finished watching some 1080i videos on the 47", and some 1920x1080p photos, it looks just amazing, 1080p content is just JAW dropping at times.

Test Your Display,
:
post #1100 of 4028 Old 07-28-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea every type of set has little quirks. For LCD's it is stuck\\dead pixels and banding. If you cannot see the banding on stationary scenes then your banding problem is not bad and you might get a TV with worse banding. Some pics posted with a sever issue show very clear banding on almost any source with a still pictrue, that to me would be bad.

For the price I think it's worth dealing with 1080P with jaw dropping PQ for under 2600$.
The 47 and 42 inch models are absolute steals. I think spending twice as much for something else that may not even be as good will make you feel bad about another TV.

post #1101 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a sample of the problem and the test image to try on your sets...

Photo of band right side on my Westinghouse 47":
http://www.pbase.com/image/64250868/original.jpg

To test yours...
Press f11 to set your browser full screen.
If your using Firefox, click on the image after its displayed.

Test Image:
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/6...7/original.jpg

Please comment on your results...

Test Your Display,
:
post #1102 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

You won't be limited, you can still use your player zoom options (the Westy will show whatever is fed into it).

BTW, welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and the response. As someone who is making the jump from an MSNTV (formerly WEBTV) system to a Dell XPS system I've got alot to learn. Thanks again.
post #1103 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 07:12 AM

Do we know whether the problem that people are having finding the westy 47" in stock is due 1)to the fact that they are selling so quickly? Or is it possible 2) that Westinghouse has stopped shipping them until they solve some of the problems being dscussed in this forum. What's the Buzz?
post #1104 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquestrapp View Post

Me too, but a poster who only has one post to his credit, which consists of a bunch of wacky issues that no other 47" Westy owner has ever mentioned, seems like a troll and not an honest person sharing their objective opinion.

Listen, this forum's collective has an enormous ego, and if someone doesn't tow the line they get called a troll. Let the man express his viewpoint, and ignore it if you own one of these and it doesn't apply to you.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #1105 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 AM

I have two updates to make...

first I solved my hdmi problem with the sony ns75h dvd player... it was the cable.

second, I was watching Narnia with my daughter and during one of the scenes with all snow I could see just the faintest bit of banding....

This is definitely a backlighting issue. My theory is that it has to do with the fact that the backlighting is produced with fluorescent bulbs that are not all 100% consistent.

This will be a problem with any LCD TV that uses fluorescent backlighting... the only way to fix this would be an array of leds but that would severely impact the price and add complexity.

Now that I know where the problem is and what the problem is I will look for it more and see if it really is something that will bother me. ... even so it is not nearly as big a problem as Plasma Burn-in... a friend of mine has a channel graphic burned in to his plasma form leaving it on the same channel all day..

John crawford

post #1106 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle17 View Post

This is definitely a backlighting issue. My theory is that it has to do with the fact that the backlighting is produced with fluorescent bulbs that are not all 100% consistent.

This will be a problem with any LCD TV that uses fluorescent backlighting... the only way to fix this would be an array of leds but that would severely impact the price and add complexity.

I was thinking in the same line for what's causing the banding. I was thinking about getting 14 or 16 awg power cord and see if that will help with the lamps. These lamps take more juice to ignite and fater power cord might help.

BTW, I just found the HDMI-DVI cable that came with my oppo and tested 1080p/60 on HDMI port with macbookpro. I can confirm that HDMI works fine at 1080p/60.
post #1107 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

Here's a sample of the problem and the test image to try on your sets...

Photo of band right side on my Westinghouse 47":
http://www.pbase.com/image/64250868/original.jpg

Please comment on your results...

that's the same kind of banding/backlight issue that the 42" has. i've decided that these sets for the price we pay is too good to let it be an issue. of course some sets have it worse than others but you can defitely get an exchange if that's the case.

looks to me like yours is most noticeable on the right side. only you can decide if it's worth returning and exchanging for a set that may have other issues. if the store has a good exchange policy go for it.

for the record my set has bands like the ones on the left to middle of your picture. the one darker on the right side seems a bit more severe. how often does it get noticed?
post #1108 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

"I was thinking about getting 14 or 16 awg power cord and see if that will help with the lamps"

I got a high end ps audio 14 G power cord for the Westy, It helped the picture cause it has a ferrite injected outer cover but did not seem to seriously reduce banding. I have these types of cords for all my equipment and they have helped my entire system audio and video. It's already pretty slight on my TV and not anything I'm really worried about. To many good things about the TV for it to bother me.

post #1109 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 12:37 PM

i tried the test image and didn't see anything. i've never seen vertical banding on my 37".

how noticeable is it if you're not looking for it. what sources it is most visible in? games/movies/pc/etc..?
post #1110 of 4028 Old 07-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Considering buying the Samsung HD 960 DVD player to use while the HD/Blueray affairs get sorted out. Is anyone using this player with the 47", if so how has it performed?

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page