Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1) - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Westinghouse 47" 1080p LCD (LVM-47w1)

LCD Flat Panel Displays

NOLAGPLZ's Avatar NOLAGPLZ
01:21 PM Liked: 10
post #181 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmal View Post

Big Panels that are not effected: dell 3007, westy 37w3, dell 2407

Oh thank you very much, I wonder how good the westy 47w1 will be? Sorry for the misinformation about the dell 30". I will try to keep my facts straight.

Do you plan on getting the 47? Since I plan to play quake 4 it will have to scale the image... from 1600x... to 1900x... I hope the scaler/dsp is very fast

I plan on getting the nvidia 7950 and if that is not enough get a sli motherboard and run dual 7950. Now that you say the 37w3 is good I will consider that one also...

Time to go buy lottery tickets
RAVEN56706's Avatar RAVEN56706
01:37 PM Liked: 10
post #182 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 4,671
Joined: Aug 2001
did anyone test the westy 47'
luna5's Avatar luna5
02:28 PM Liked: 10
post #183 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 269
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

did anyone test the westy 47'

Better yet...has anyone even seen one yet?
fafner's Avatar fafner
02:35 PM Liked: 10
post #184 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 1,854
Joined: Apr 2006
The BB's in my area say there are no plans to display the 47" Westys in-store. According to the store managers, the set can be special ordered for $3K but there is currently no stock available so special orders cannot be accepted. I assume that $3K is the List Price and thus there is no problem in posting it here.
Mr Bob622's Avatar Mr Bob622
02:37 PM Liked: 10
post #185 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 6
Joined: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

Better yet...has anyone even seen one yet?


The westinghousedigital website has changed the status from comming soon!
jvalerio's Avatar jvalerio
02:54 PM Liked: 10
post #186 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 142
Joined: Apr 2006
Yes!!! it shows available at crutchfield. I'm going to hold out for this set instead of the 42". I have a manager @ my local BB who is owing me big time due to 2 screws up on their part. Maybe he will give me a discount on this instead of the 42" which is no longer instock here in So Cal. Happy Days Are Here Again. Gives me plenty of time to save up!!!!!!
thoth's Avatar thoth
05:49 PM Liked: 12
post #187 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 524
Joined: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

Does the 47" have HDMI v.1.3?

No, and AFAIK there'd be no benefit to it, as the display wouldn't support any of the new 1.3 features anyway.
howardstern's Avatar howardstern
05:55 PM Liked: 11
post #188 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 202
Joined: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post

No, and AFAIK there'd be no benefit to it, as the display wouldn't support any of the new 1.3 features anyway.

By that do you mean the 36 and 48 bit color?
thoth's Avatar thoth
06:04 PM Liked: 12
post #189 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 524
Joined: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

By that do you mean the 36 and 48 bit color?

The deep color, the lossless audio formats, the higher bandwidth.
howardstern's Avatar howardstern
06:27 PM Liked: 11
post #190 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 202
Joined: Dec 2005
Oh, do you know if the "deep color" is a major upgrade or not, I really couldn't find anything out about it?
James63's Avatar James63
07:27 PM Liked: 10
post #191 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 2005
Who cares about audio on a TV. It should go to a stereo!! I don't think there will be any TVs that have 1.3 untill early 2007. Even if there is no source will utilize it for a long time. Blu Ray and HD-DVD can't even get video right let alone audio!
thoth's Avatar thoth
08:17 PM Liked: 12
post #192 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 524
Joined: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

Oh, do you know if the "deep color" is a major upgrade or not, I really couldn't find anything out about it?

Deep (30, 36, or 48-bit) color is a major upgrade if your source can generate it and your video processor can maintain it and your display can reproduce it. You can get info about HDMI 1.3 at hdmi.org.
howardstern's Avatar howardstern
08:28 PM Liked: 11
post #193 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 202
Joined: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63 View Post

Who cares about audio on a TV. It should go to a stereo!! I don't think there will be any TVs that have 1.3 untill early 2007. Even if there is no source will utilize it for a long time. Blu Ray and HD-DVD can't even get video right let alone audio!


I could care less about audio, who mentioned anything about it? I was asking about the video aspects of HDMI v1.3. Read before responding
James63's Avatar James63
08:49 PM Liked: 10
post #194 of 4028
06-29-2006 | Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

I could care less about audio, who mentioned anything about it? I was asking about the video aspects of HDMI v1.3. Read before responding


..I did read it...I just did not take the time to explain why I mentioned it (my Call of Duty game was starting ). I just jumped the gun because I knew someone was going to mention audio soon. I assumed people know about the audio formats of HDMI 1.1 vs HDMI 1.3.


Anyway I would be happy if one company could at least utilize HDMI 1.1 (Blu Ray/HD-DVD). Lets face it all current sources come up very short from what they could be capable of. I just don't seen HDMI 1.1 as the bottle neck it is made out to be.
luna5's Avatar luna5
05:03 AM Liked: 10
post #195 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 269
Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

did anyone test the westy 47'

The specs on the manu page says that it supports 1080I using the component inputs but the user manual ( which is for the 42 and 47") says 1080P with component inputs. I'm curious as to which applies to the 47" as my HD cable box ( SA 3250HD from Charter) does not have HDMI output . The box does have a DVI connedtor on it but I don't know if it's functional as I do not have an HDTV yet.
Don't know if I can post the manu. link but here it is:
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...p-monitor.aspx

the manual is available from the downloads link.
PAP's Avatar PAP
06:44 AM Liked: 10
post #196 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 2,410
Joined: Oct 1999
Does anyone actually have this set yet? I'm trying to decide between it and the 42" version or spend more and get another 1080p set later. There seems to be a lot of concern about the 42" and 1080p input compatibility, wondering whether this set has the same "problem."

Not sure whether I need this big either, couch sits probably 7 feet from TV probably.
bandler6's Avatar bandler6
07:04 AM Liked: 10
post #197 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 15
Joined: Jun 2006
I purchased the 42"er 26 days ago, despite the HT mgr taking me in the back and pointing out all the returns (mostly for dead or stuck pixels). I was definitely torn, because the floor display was gorgeous. He gave me the rap about the 30 days, i'll work with you for the first year with the extndd warr., so I caved and bit the bullet.

Got the set home and I was dazzled. You really do watch HD content simply because it looks great (not because it has substance). The HDMI connection from my Comcast Moto DVR was flawless with HD...SD is soft and muddy ( but so what, I have all of my local channels in HD too). So I'm watching Entourage on HBOHD, and I noticed a little green spec on the right side of the screen. I'm sitting almost 10' away and it's just taunting me. So now I decide to waste an hour and a half of my life with the weak Excorcism of Emily Rose...very dark overall cimematography, but my little green friend provides a never ending distraction. When the picture is light, you don't see it, but once the scene is medium to dark, there it is. Upon closer inspection, a few more subtle blue and greyish pixels appear stuck. This is truely disappointing as I love the set. But tonight it goes back from whence it came. I will upgrade to the 47"er because I can't justify spending this kind of money and have flaws appear 3 day into ownership.

The last thing I would ask the group is this: what is the likelihood of more pixels going bad, and is there a way to properly "break-in" the unit to possibly avoid this issue in the future?

All the best.

Onward and upward to 47".

David
kingjamez's Avatar kingjamez
07:13 AM Liked: 10
post #198 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 105
Joined: Sep 2004
Don't give up on your 42'' yet. Try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-P...an-LCD-Monitor

-Jim
PAP's Avatar PAP
08:31 AM Liked: 10
post #199 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 2,410
Joined: Oct 1999
I've used that trick with LCD computer monitors and it worked for me. I've read that you should run the panel with a full white screen (probably take a PC to generate that) for 24-48 hours at full brightness and contrast to help as well. Again it's worked for me with stuck pixels on my 21" dell monitors.
bitemymac's Avatar bitemymac
04:48 PM Liked: 10
post #200 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 1,182
Joined: Nov 2005
So, has anyone brought this bad boy home, yet? It's been fews days since crutchfield started shipping, right?
Sunil's Avatar Sunil
05:39 PM Liked: 10
post #201 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 124
Joined: Oct 2005
I ordered one yesterday from Crutchfield, guess should get it by end of next week.
davidsim's Avatar davidsim
05:46 PM Liked: 10
post #202 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 23
Joined: Sep 2005
I've been following the chatter about the 42" Westinghouse for a while. Also have a 42" and 50" Panasonic 8uk for client monitoring at our studio where we do professional HD color grading and digital intermediates. Some of our clients are New Line Cinema, Fox, Discovery, Universal, Lion's Gate, so we're exceptionally picky about colorimetry characteristics. To compare anything to the Panasonic Plasmas is sensible--although a different picture distribution medium altogether--considering the professional level of control over picture quality and the picture quality itself.

After months of handwringing research, we decided on the 47" model versus a 50" plasma of lesser cost and better viewing angle, because of the multiplicity of inputs, true 1080i/p, energy consumption, heat index, total weight, scaling support electronics, and the willingness of Westinghouse to support serial returns if there are defects. Although I'm not sanguine about ordering a 3+ meter delicate panel 2500 miles away from Hollywood, I went with Crutchfield based upon their reputation, level of customer support, return policy and the fact they had these in numbers.

There are a number of tests we perform on monitors to keep them up to calibration. When we get it I'll let you know what we think.
Sunil's Avatar Sunil
11:41 PM Liked: 10
post #203 of 4028
06-30-2006 | Posts: 124
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsim View Post

I've been following the chatter about the 42" Westinghouse for a while. Also have a 42" and 50" Panasonic 8uk for client monitoring at our studio where we do professional HD color grading and digital intermediates. Some of our clients are New Line Cinema, Fox, Discovery, Universal, Lion's Gate, so we're exceptionally picky about colorimetry characteristics. To compare anything to the Panasonic Plasmas is sensible--although a picture distribution medium altogether--considering the professional level of control over picture quality and the picture quality itself.

After months of handwringing research, we decided on the 47" model versus a 50" plasma of lesser cost and better viewing angle, because of the multiplicity of inputs, true 1080i/p, energy consumption, heat index, total weight, scaling support electronics, and the willingness of Westinghouse to support serial returns if there are defects. Although I'm not sanguine about ordering a 3+ meter delicate panel 2500 miles away from Hollywood, I went with Crutchfield based upon their reputation, level of customer support, return policy and the fact they had these in numbers.

There are a number of tests we perform on monitors to keep them up to calibration. When we get it I'll let you know what we think.


Reassuring to know that I am getting something that the pros are getting.
ExxonTsun's Avatar ExxonTsun
07:33 AM Liked: 10
post #204 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 26
Joined: Jul 2006
[EDIT] Coupled with the fact that there don't appear to be any exclusive hands-on previews of this puppy anywhere, I've got to suspect that the unit is riddled with serious problems. Major bummer if that's true :-(

Can't wait to read the reviews from the folks on this forum...
bpmurr's Avatar bpmurr
07:50 AM Liked: 18
post #205 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 3,953
Joined: Apr 2006
I think that's making a pretty big assumption. I just looks like J&R is keeping the pricing in line with the 37w3 and 42w2 models. Let's wait till either people start getting their units or reviews come out to say there are problems.
thoth's Avatar thoth
10:48 AM Liked: 12
post #206 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 524
Joined: Sep 2005
Mine's scheduled for delivery Wed AM. Can't wait...
SteveCallas's Avatar SteveCallas
11:17 AM Liked: 43
post #207 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 6,868
Joined: Jun 2004
Quote:


I think that is now the street price. I'm pretty sure BB will price it around there once in stock. Now the question is, should I wait little longer for additional $300 to $400 off, or just get one at that price and hope to get price mathed at later time.

If this turns out to be near the price BB offers, I highly doubt there will be any large reductions for a long time....how much lower could a 47" 1080p go for? There might be an occassional 10% off tv's sale, maybe 15% for Thanksgiving, but I just can't see much more than that. [EDIT]
I'm gonna wait to read a few first hand reviews, but I'm not expecting many issues now that lock ups have been solved. There isn't really much comparable out there anyway aside from the 46" 1080p Samsung about to come out. Seems the 1080p Samsungs are having their own issues as well though, so I don't see many reasons for me to take my sites off the Westinghouse.
ASP111's Avatar ASP111
11:46 AM Liked: 10
post #208 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 71
Joined: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post

Mine's scheduled for delivery Wed AM. Can't wait...

From J&R? Mine is still "Processing."

Edit: Ahh, nevermind. I see you bought from Crutchfield.
jimmyv's Avatar jimmyv
11:54 AM Liked: 11
post #209 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 806
Joined: Oct 2003
The 47" 1080p Westy is intriguing, however, I'm not going to buy one sight unseen. I've read here that BB will not be showing them, so, any suggestions where I could view one in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area - probably nowhere yet, but, will someone have them on display soon?
SteveCallas's Avatar SteveCallas
11:59 AM Liked: 43
post #210 of 4028
07-03-2006 | Posts: 6,868
Joined: Jun 2004
Well a lot of the info we've gotten from BB has proven to be wrong so I'd imagine there is a pretty good chance of them putting the 47" on display.
Tags: Westinghouse

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3