*NEW* Offical Westinghouse LTV-27w7, LTV-32w6, & LTV-37w2 thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2607 Old 06-24-2006, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

One final question, is the 37w2 plagued with ghosting issues too on 1080i material like its elder couxsin, 37w3?? I would not think so as the w2 would have to scale down 1080i to 720p where as the 37w3 would have to upscale a interlaced signal to progressive.

well i notice a little bit more ghosting at 1080i than 720p, like basketball when the player shots are up close and running. but its minimal, it could just be me being super critical. ghosting if any at 720p is only noticable to the point to where you have to say to yourself, is that the monitor or am I just stoned. That happens at 1080i also tho lol.

I agree with Trevor the only major complaint someone might have is the speakers, If they planned to use those primarily. But I dont. So its all good.

Im stoked with my 37w2, i just want in the service menu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2607 Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

One final question, is the 37w2 plagued with ghosting issues too on 1080i material like its elder couxsin, 37w3?? I would not think so as the w2 would have to scale down 1080i to 720p where as the 37w3 would have to upscale a interlaced signal to progressive.

S

FWIW - My observation is the 37W2 gives a much better picture with 720p than with 1080i. Given it doesn't have a native 1080i panel, this seems reasonable to me. Consequently, all my viewing is HDMI 720p -- I observe no ghosting whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistere View Post

Trevor,

The SPDIF on my 27w7 works fine when I connect to a digital processor. However, the analog RCA outs (from the TV to a receiver) produce the same anemic volume levels which I expereienced when I connected other inputs to the TV.

Brian

My digital audio interconnect arrived Saturday and so I finally had a chance to find out how the TV digital audio output worked . There didn't seem to be any output at all on SD (NTSC), but the HD channels I tried were all DolbyProLogic. I'm guessing at least some of the movie channels may provide DD5.1, but I haven't tried yet.

I have a question: How do you select a specific HD (ATSC) channel directly via the remote. I don't mean channel up/down, but jumping directly to the desired channel? How is this done?

Thanks -- Trevor

PS. I really haven't played with the analog outputs. Historically, the farthest I've ever gone is to pipe DVD audio to the TV for playing movies without turning on the external sound gear. Whenever I've provided external sound, it was always sourced from an external VCR or DVD player or whatever. TV viewing has always been via the TV speakers (except when I was tuning via a VCR).
post #273 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

F

I have a question: How do you select a specific HD (ATSC) channel directly via the remote. I don't mean channel up/down, but jumping directly to the desired channel? How is this done?

Thanks -- Trevor

Trevor (my son's name, also)
I just picked up a w27, nice set. The way I have figured out is to press the TV button, then the input button once or twice, to get to the HDTV input, then you can enter the channel number with the "dash" key, like 7-1.
post #274 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrew View Post

Trevor (my son's name, also)
I just picked up a w27, nice set. The way I have figured out is to press the TV button, then the input button once or twice, to get to the HDTV input, then you can enter the channel number with the "dash" key, like 7-1.

Ha! There's a dash key -- didn't pick up on that. I realized the actual channel number would be something like 87-9004, which apparently gets shortened to 87-4, but did not make the connection to the key entries. I'll try that out a little later.

Thanks very much -- figured there HAD to be a way -- Trevor
post #275 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Ha! There's a dash key -- didn't pick up on that. I realized the actual channel number would be something like 87-9004, which apparently gets shortened to 87-4, but did not make the connection to the key entries. I'll try that out a little later.

Thanks very much -- figured there HAD to be a way -- Trevor

Actually it is easier than I said, just press the TV button twice to get to the HDTV, I did not realize that.
post #276 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok.....as its turned out, Im passing on the Westy (37w2) after my 40 min 'hands-on' experiance with the set at my local video store. I've been following this thread and posting too for the last 2 weeks and when I walked in the store, I did have some ideas of what to expect from this set and from my experiance, I might spend the extra $200 on the newer JVC 37" LCD set that was sitting right next to the Westy. So now Im starting my research on the JVC set and my mission continues :-(.

Anyway, the gripes with the Westy......after my inital calibration of the set, the picture quality is still somewhat lacking (the uncalibrated JVC set stood out even better than the Westy and a Sharp Aquos). The picture quality is hard to describe but it has a 'soft' look to it. Skin tones are ok but definitely off. My other main issue is the limited viewing modes for non 16:9 material. The "FILL" mode somewhat resolves the issue but again does a poor job and the stretch is something that a buyer will have to get used to. For me, I can't live with that terribly stretched picture as my TV viewing will be mostly off the coax (480i) feed. I also saw the "banding" or noise with my own eyes and its pretty obvious towards the top of the screen and the banding is about 3/4 inch so its there! The FILL mode fixes it but stretches the picture which is not to my liking.

The JVC again won majorly in this category as it had 4 modes and the "pan" mode was excellent for 4:3 material. The speakers are totally worthless for a 37" LCD on the Westy.....its ok but if this is going to be your primary TV, investment in external speakers is a MUST!

So after several tweaks and tips, I was unable to get the picture quality to match that of the uncalibrated JVC. From this experiance, I'm passing on the Westy and will most likely purchase the JVC in 2 weeks from that store .....that's if my JVC research turns up good things about the set. If not, my quest will continue.

To those interested in buying the Westy, this is MY EXPERIANCE with the set and u may in fact turn out not to be worried these things so my advice is ...go to a store, find a display unit and see it for yourself and then decide whether the Westy's shortcomings will bother u or not.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my posts/concerns. This thread is basically closed for me at this point. My quest continues...........

S

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #277 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok.....as its turned out, Im passing on the Westy (37w2) after my 40 min 'hands-on' experiance with the set at my local video store. I've been following this thread and posting too for the last 2 weeks and when I walked in the store, I did have some ideas of what to expect from this set and from my experiance, I might spend the extra $200 on the newer JVC 37" LCD set that was sitting right next to the Westy. So now Im starting my research on the JVC set and my mission continues :-(.

Anyway, the gripes with the Westy......after my inital calibration of the set, the picture quality is still somewhat lacking (the uncalibrated JVC set stood out even better than the Westy and a Sharp Aquos). The picture quality is hard to describe but it has a 'soft' look to it. Skin tones are ok but definitely off.

FWIW - If the set hasn't been calibrated with either Avia or Video Essentials, then I suggest you haven't seen the picture capability yet. I'm very particular and my 37W2 picture is excellent -- prefer it to my Sony 36XBR800.

Quote:

My other main issue is the limited viewing modes for non 16:9 material. The "FILL" mode somewhat resolves the issue but again does a poor job and the stretch is something that a buyer will have to get used to. For me, I can't live with that terribly stretched picture as my TV viewing will be mostly off the coax (480i) feed. I also saw the "banding" or noise with my own eyes and its pretty obvious towards the top of the screen and the banding is about 3/4 inch so its there!

FWIW -- I have yet to identify any banding, noise, or other artifacts in the picture.

Quote:

The FILL mode fixes it but stretches the picture which is not to my liking.

The JVC again won majorly in this category as it had 4 modes and the "pan" mode was excellent for 4:3 material. The speakers are totally worthless for a 37" LCD on the Westy.....its ok but if this is going to be your primary TV, investment in external speakers is a MUST!

FWIW -- I have absolutely no criticism of the internal speakers, no less good than any other TV I've owned. From my perspective, I paid for a TV, not a sound system. I much prefer the manufacturer direct my dollars to the picture -- as far as I can tell, that is exactly what Westinghouse did.

Quote:

So after several tweaks and tips, I was unable to get the picture quality to match that of the uncalibrated JVC. From this experiance, I'm passing on the Westy and will most likely purchase the JVC in 2 weeks from that store .....that's if my JVC research turns up good things about the set. If not, my quest will continue.

To those interested in buying the Westy, this is MY EXPERIANCE with the set and u may in fact turn out not to be worried these things so my advice is ...go to a store, find a display unit and see it for yourself and then decide whether the Westy's shortcomings will bother u or not.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my posts/concerns. This thread is basically closed for me at this point. My quest continues...........

S

As I've mentioned before, I use a decent power conditioner with my 37W2. In my experience, power conditioning can have a significant impact on a variety of TV misbehaviors. That may be a factor in our differing results.

Enjoy your JVC analysis -- Trevor
post #278 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Does anyone know if the 27w7 has a built in QAM tuner? Because I can get channels in the 90's (movie channels) but I can't ever get my local hd nbc, abc, etc. I get these through my standard cable fed to the tv.
post #279 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 PM

To Anyone who has calibrated there HDTV, do you feel that if you could go into the service menu you could make the picture even better? Are the RGB settings that much off?
post #280 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt81 View Post

Actually it is easier than I said, just press the TV button twice to get to the HDTV, I did not realize that.

Well, I've tried it, but I must be leaving something out. No matter which known good channel number I enter, I get the message "No Channel Found".

For Example: I am currently on channel 85-1 with a movie (Tristan and Isolde). I enter 79-1 and the message "No Channel Found" appears. However, if I use channel up/down to get to 79-1, then I find WHYY public broadcasting.

Is there some setting required somewhere in order for this function to work? The key I'm interpreting as the hyphon is the "minus sign" directly below numeral "7" and to the left of numeral "0".

Thanks -- Trevor

PS. You aren't saying I have to press "TV" twice to get to HDTV before entering the ATSC channel number, even when viewing an ATSC channel are you??? I'm presuming that when watching an ATSC station, all that is necessary is to enter the desired channel -- just as I would if watching an NTSC (SD) station. Yes?
post #281 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc15 View Post

To Anyone who has calibrated there HDTV, do you feel that if you could go into the service menu you could make the picture even better? Are the RGB settings that much off?

Not me. The Service Menu is for correcting significant errors and not intended for casual use. Don't go near it unless you have absolute knowledge of exactly what you are doing and why.

Luck -- Trevor
post #282 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 06:45 PM

Not me. The Service Menu is for correcting significant errors and not intended for casual use. Don't go near it unless you have absolute knowledge of exactly what you are doing and why.

Luck -- Trevor

In the 42" Westinghouse thread they changed RGB settings and say that skin tones and colors look better. Trevor, what settings do you have, brightness, contrast, hue ect. Do you use component? Thanks for your replies.
post #283 of 2607 Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc15 View Post

Luck -- Trevor

In the 42" Westinghouse thread they changed RGB settings and say that skin tones and colors look better. Trevor, what settings do you have, brightness, contrast, hue ect. Do you use component? Thanks for your replies.

I've seen people post various numbers for their displays, but that is at best a highly unlikely approach to optimizing your image.

Since you specifically ask, here are my current values for four of my viewing modes (I've now had the set for about four weeks):

HDMI: 49 Brightness
40 Contrast
50 Saturation
50 Hue
0 Sharpness
YPbPr1: 50B, 63C, 66S, 50H, 0S
TV: 32B, 75C, 45S, 50H, 5S
HDTV: 37B, 95C, 43S, 60H, 5S

(The backlight lamp is set to 0 for all the above.)

Trouble is, they depend on the specific conditions associated with my viewing.

Example: My HDMI connection is fed with a 20ft Blue Jeans HDMI cable from an LG DVB418 player. If you don't have the exact same configuration then you are likely to need different values. This also depends on the amount of light in your room, your evaluation of the amount of push offset required in the saturation setting, and the maximum white you are looking for. Plus, there is no guarantee one optimal set of values for a given configuration will be equally optimal on a different example of the same model. (Your distance from the set could also inspire some adjustments.)

A second example: My YPbPr1 connection is fed with 16ft Blue Jeans component cables from a Pioneer DV-414 player. You can expect your optimal adjustments to vary accordingly .

Further, my TV and HDTV settings are dependent on my cable hookup and provider, and there is no reason at all to presume they conform to some nationwide standard (which probably doesn't exist).

The most likely possibility for color improvement via the Service Panel is a reduction of push -- typically red due to overly enhanced blue levels. This is something I have always been able to work around to my personal satisfaction, but is certainly a valid concern -- that is something an ISF technician would be happy to adjust (among other items) if you greased their palms with the appropriate number of dollars . Optimizing the color temperature is also a biggie.

My approach is to use VE to get the best values for brightness, hue, saturation, and sharpness that I can (plus a starting point for contrast), and then further adjust the saturation and contrast to give me the best balanced picture I can manage from top flight material. In other words, for me it is both objective in the application of VE, plus subjective in the application of my personal expectations.

However, without having a reliable starting point (VE in my case) it is very difficult to produce an optimal picture, though to be sure, one can potentially arrive at a pretty good one.

An additional problem is both video anomalies and color impurities due to power issues, the only resolution for which is a decent power conditioner -- I can't over-emphasize that. The same is true for every other device in your A/V chain.

Luck -- Trevor

EDIT: I've since had to re-evaluate the saturation and hue settings with HDMI due to having identified a definite Green Push -- that's new for me and I didn't recognize it during calibration. The manufacturer intended effect is apparently to make grass look especially green for sports events -- great for watching football I guess (both American and the rest of the world). I've had to push the hue up to 70 to correct it's effect and raise the saturation to 52 to balance. This seems to fix the problem, but now I have to live with it for awhile -- to be sure it doesn't create other problems.
post #284 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HDMI: 49 Brightness
40 Contrast
50 Saturation
50 Hue
0 Sharpness

this is basically identical to what i have on my hdmi for my 32w6

my backlight is at like 29 though.. had it up for ps2 which is through AV input, meh. component doesn't work on my older ps2
post #285 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 AM

I just got mine 2 days ago. Haven't had time to mess with any settings. Heres a few pics I took with my buddies cheap 5 mp camera.

Blu-ray... Beyond High Definition
post #286 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

this is basically identical to what i have on my hdmi for my 32w6

my backlight is at like 29 though.. had it up for ps2 which is through AV input, meh. component doesn't work on my older ps2

It's funny, that was the first time I think I've ever ended up with 50% for both saturation(color) and hue. Using VE, the optimal hue setting would have been between 49 and 50, but since that wasn't an option, 50 gave a very satisfactory result . Looking at the color bars, there doesn't really seem to be much push on the Westinghouse -- I'm used to having to back off the color considerably to tame the reds with CRT displays. I found the Westinghouse to be reasonably neutral. It also gives me a very 3D image which is something I value highly (even on NTSC TV). Would definitely like more framing flexibility, but the picture quality is just great!

Just wish I could figure out how to directly select ATSC channels via the remote !

-- Trevor

EDIT: I've since had to re-evaluate the saturation and hue settings with HDMI due to having identified a definite Green Push -- that's new for me and I didn't recognize it during calibration. The manufacturer intended effect is apparently to make grass look especially green for sports events -- great for watching football I guess (both American and the rest of the world). I've had to push the hue up to 70 to correct it's effect and raise the saturation to 52 to balance. This seems to fix the problem, but now I have to live with it for awhile -- to be sure it doesn't create other problems.
post #287 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wish I could figure out how to directly change ATSC channels via the remote !

-- Trevor

NOTE: I have a direct cable connection -- No STB, No OTA.

I've discovered that if I just enter the digits before the hyphen, then the TV changes to the 9001 channel at that location (no "Enter" required). To get to any particular channel within that range, I then have to use channel up/down. (I've found no way to select the -90xx portion of the channel number directly via the remote.)

Example: If I want 79-9005 (79-5), then if I enter either "79" or "79-", then the TV tunes in 79-9001. From there I have to channel up to -9005.

FWIW: I called Westinghouse support and to the best of their knowledge, there is no way to enter channel numbers via the remote without an STB. So it looks like I've stumbled onto something they didn't know about .

If anybody knows anything more, please pass the word.

Thanks -- Trevor
post #288 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks -- Trevor

I don't have this set, but looking at the user manual I see that there are 3
favorite buttons on the remote, why not use these for your 3 favorite HD channels?

dj
post #289 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 07:02 PM

I sure wish someone could figure out the SM code for the LTV-27w7 - I just want to go in and change the RGB values some.
post #290 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 08:51 PM

Maybe the sm code is almost the same as the 42" just different buttons? I would also like to adjust RGB settings.
post #291 of 2607 Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj640 View Post

I don't have this set, but looking at the user manual I see that there are 3
favorite buttons on the remote, why not use these for your 3 favorite HD channels?

dj

Thanks for the suggestion, but can't really say I've developed any favorites yet . Still, now I can at least select a channel range, I'm much happier. ATSC wasn't especially usable for me before.

Thanks again -- Trevor
post #292 of 2607 Old 06-27-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but can't really say I've developed any favorites yet . Still, now I can at least select a channel range, I'm much happier. ATSC wasn't especially usable for me before.

Thanks again -- Trevor

No problemo , It's really strange IMO that Westie can't make a QAM tuner/remote that can directly access HD channels, when all the different STBs can.

Is it really nessesary for them to reinvent the wheel?

Hang Fast, dj
post #293 of 2607 Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

NOTE: I have a direct cable connection -- No STB, No OTA.

I've discovered that if I just enter the digits before the hyphen, then the TV changes to the 9001 channel at that location (no "Enter" required). To get to any particular channel within that range, I then have to use channel up/down. (I've found no way to select the -90xx portion of the channel number directly via the remote.)

Example: If I want 79-9005 (79-5), then if I enter either "79" or "79-", then the TV tunes in 79-9001. From there I have to channel up to -9005.

FWIW: I called Westinghouse support and to the best of their knowledge, there is no way to enter channel numbers via the remote without an STB. So it looks like I've stumbled onto something they didn't know about .

Thanks -- Trevor

i use comcast DVR box
post #294 of 2607 Old 06-27-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

i use comcast DVR box

The "" is usually used to denote skepticism or sarcasm, but a Comcast DVR sounds like a Comcast STB combined with DVR in a single package. If that allows you to completely select your channels via your remote, then that doesn't invalidate what I said above.

-- Trevor
post #295 of 2607 Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone got a wall mount for the 32w6, and if so where did you get it?!

I've been looking at different ones, but mostly at the big box stores. I'd like to know if there are any good deals online that someone could recommend. I have seem some inexpensive ones online, but it's hard to tell if they are "cheap" or not.

Thanks for the info!

Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #296 of 2607 Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 PM

I got a very nice one for my 32" off eBay for about $60. It is a -
OmniMount Cantilever Mount for Mid-Sized LCD TVs -
from circuit city's trading center. Very nice and heavy duty and I can swivel it around. It had said it was used but mine was not and had all the nuts and bolts to mount many brands. I just looked and they are still selling them.
post #297 of 2607 Old 06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Is it in Ebay or in Circuit City web site?!

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
post #298 of 2607 Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 PM

I've had my 32w6 for about 3 weeks now and i am very happy with the picture in HD as well as SD. i'm only using component connections for the moment, and they made a big difference over the coaxial i was running when i initially brought it home.

only issue i have is that some channels (and it seems to be somewhat inconsistent) show what appears to be some light leaking at the top border of the picture. almost like scattered white/black bars that flicker.

i remedy this by going from standard --> fill on screen options and that always pushes the flicker off the screen. i'm not somebody who is a purist about stretching a picture. as long as there is no flicker, i'm happy with any dimensions.

is that something that could (or should?) be addressed throught a service menu, or something that would lead anyone to exchange it for a different set (i.e. is this a problem with most sets making an exchange pointless?).

another "issue" is that i have to keep the volume 60-70 to get decent sound, but i've never maxed it out and thought that i wish it had more...

i'd hate to bother with returning it, but i'm starting to debate the idea.
post #299 of 2607 Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisomy View Post

only issue i have is that some channels (and it seems to be somewhat inconsistent) show what appears to be some light leaking at the top border of the picture. almost like scattered white/black bars that flicker.

I have the same thing, which I call SD "signal crap". Some channels have it, some don't, but it comes from the signal so a different TV might not help. Older televisions had enough overscan to hide it, but mine is 0% according to DVE, so I see everything. I guess we'll have to live with it.

My set is a 32w6, about 2 weeks old.

"...the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes." -- Senator Ted Stevens

Those round, shiny things...
Now in Profiler form.
post #300 of 2607 Old 06-29-2006, 04:12 AM
dj9
Advanced Member

Those black and white lines are data in the VBI of the television signal -- the top 21 lines (vertical blanking interrupt). that's where closed captioning, V-chip information, etc. is transmitted on analog TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page