*NEW* Offical Westinghouse LTV-27w7, LTV-32w6, & LTV-37w2 thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with a pre-W6 care to chime in about the issue with DVDs through component? I wonder if other models have the same issue. Apparently this TV is seriously crippled when it comes to viewing options with 480i/p material. I'm assuming that 720p and 1080i feeds are okay. Movies display in 16x9 as expected with your upconverting player via HDMI, right Wendek? I wonder how this TV would respond to a player hacked to upconvert over component..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 View Post

you can't adjust the dvd player to output widescreen and then have the tv stretch it?

That's what I'm doing. The issue is, we expected the image to fill the entire screen when the TV is in standard mode. It doesn't. TV has to be switched to "Fill" mode and it's stretches the image a bit.
post #543 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

i am a bit disappointed with this feature not filling the whole screen with certain signals. why did i buy a wide screen anyway? everything else seems to work perfect so perhaps somehow Westinghouse can "fix" this bug.
i'm bummed that i didn't buy this tv somewhere i could return for full refund. How's a person supposed to know if the tv works like they expect till they get it home and try it out - particularly when the user manuals are so limited.

oh well,
wendek

I can live with this, for a bedroom TV. My Dish 622 looks great. I plan on moving my Xbox 360 to this TV, so this should be a non-issue when watching movies. The bottom line for me, is there a better 32" HD LCD on the market at the $850 price point? If so, someone chime in. I just bought the 32w6 on Sunday. I'm well within the 30 day return window.
post #544 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj9 View Post

you can't adjust the dvd player to output widescreen and then have the tv stretch it?

in some cases yes, but for OTA, example, you get what you get, and some stations are not filling the screen. Perhaps with a Set Top Box from cable/dish that is adjustable?
post #545 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

in some cases yes, but for OTA, example, you get what you get, and some stations are not filling the screen. Perhaps with a Set Top Box from cable/dish that is adjustable?

I have the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR and yes, some programs still do not fill the screen. However, the box allows me to switch from a zoom, stretch and normal modes to achieve the look I want.

On SD material, I use the fill mode in the tv menu. I then set my box to Widescreen, stretch mode and the picture takes up the whole screen. Granted, picture quality suffers, but I can deal with that in order to enjoy a full screen image.

On HD material, I set the tv either to standard or fill. Some programs on some stations exhibit garbled junk at the top of the screen. My box is set to Widescreen, normal mode.

I know that some of the issues you guys are going through may seem upsetting, but, you have to consider the value of what you're paying for this tv and what you get. Trust me when I say that the DiscoveryHD channel looks just as good, if not better, than the more name brand lcd tv's. I was first annoyed with stretching the image and how programs sometimes did not fill the screen, but, after watching HD material and gaming with my XBOX 360 on this set, I will enjoy it until either this tv dies, or I die.

XBOX Live GT: LOTION in BULK
post #546 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
dj9
Advanced Member

personally, I don't *want* any stretching - especially with the low-bitrate content from the cable company.

with the 8300HD however, if you are watching a letterboxed widescreen program on a SD channel, you can set the TV to fill and the box to Standard (4:3) and Zoom 16:9 picture to watch the program on full screen.
post #547 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH View Post

I know that some of the issues you guys are going through may seem upsetting, but, you have to consider the value of what you're paying for this tv and what you get. Trust me when I say that the DiscoveryHD channel looks just as good, if not better, than the more name brand lcd tv's. I was first annoyed with stretching the image and how programs sometimes did not fill the screen, but, after watching HD material and gaming with my XBOX 360 on this set, I will enjoy it until either this tv dies, or I die.

With my current setup (a CRT HDTV), I watch everything in 1080i OAR (upconverting player set to 1080i, Xbox 360 set to 1080i, STB set to 1080i + stretch off), and I watch almost no 4:3 content to begin with. As long as I can continue in the same manner with one of these TVs (at 720p instead), and never even have to bother with aspect ratio controls, I'll be happy. It's not really that issue that I'm concerned about - it's more the problems with DVI/HDMI that a few people are still having. But hopefully those are isolated. I'm just waiting for a few more impressions from people.

I do agree, though, that these sets are a steal at even MSRP. The fact that they're frequently on sale makes them even more of an amazing deal.

On another note, I noticed that Best Buy website lists almost every Westinghouse LCD as being unavailable (even ones that aren't on sale, so I don't think it's a question of them being sold out). Are a lot of these sets being discontinued, or is BB no longer going to carry Westinghouse TVs or something?
post #548 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Westy 32 LTV32W6 is available in BB for 849 this week
post #549 of 2608 Old 08-15-2006, 09:44 PM

thanks for the words of calm wisdom 95oRANGEcRUSH. It's true, these are the best tvs for the price. PQ is fabulous on the HD channels i do get over the air. And they have QAM tuners which the polaroid or viewsonic didn't have. i had recently looked at in the same price range.
thanks.
Wendek
post #550 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM

I recently purchased a 32w6 from Best Buy. BB is offering a four-year warranty for $130. Worth it?
post #551 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 AM

i wondered about that. Video Only offered a three year warranty for $99 on the 32w3, $79 on the 27w6 from GE. I didn't get it though.
wendek
post #552 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 PM

I noticed that the video on the store display 32w6 looked very "jerky" at times. The input was from the in-store hd feed and none of the other lcds showed the same "jerkiness". Has anyone noticed any problems with motion "jerkiness" when using the 32w6's hd tuner?
post #553 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Got some new info on my 32w6 since I've had it for several days now.

Anyone having problems with audio drop outs on the HDMI port? I bought an el-cheapo DVD Player with HDMI and the audio would drop out for 2-3 seconds at random intervals. It used to happen like every 5 minutes. I figured it may be the cheap DVD player so I bought a totally different player. Same problem. The audio drops out randomly now. Sometimes the audio will be fine for an hour and then it'll drop out 2 or 3 times in 15 minutes then not do it again for a while. Seems to me it's the Westy now and not the DVD player.

Tried the QAM tuner. It will let me delete subchannels I want.

I connected the USB service port to my PC and nothing was detected as new hardware. I connected a USB memory key and it did light up the key. I thought I read somewhere about these Service ports can only be activated by a USB key of some sort. Though that doesn't help anyone with the older RJ45 (ethernet) service ports.

Looks like the newer firmware on my 32w6 fixes issues discussed earlier in this thread. I still wonder if my audio drop out problem can be fixed with a yet newer firmware. Maybe it could even fix my settings not being saved with switching inputs (see my earlier post in this thread).

Also of note is that I do not have color temp settings at all.
post #554 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post

Also of note is that I do not have color temp settings at all.

You have no color temp options at all?
post #555 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4fw View Post

You have no color temp options at all?

Nope. Checked all the inputs that I use (HDMI, VGA and Coax) and found no color temp settings at all. I was a bit suprised not to find them either.

I will work on getting some pic up of the menus since they are vastly different than what I see on other Westys (like my 27w2 and the manual for my 32w6)
post #556 of 2608 Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Bummer! The display unit I looked at did have color temp selection and the menus did look like the ones in the manual. Does your set have a manufacture date on it?

I noticed that the 32w6 boxes said assembled in Mexico. Are all 32w6s built in Mexico?
post #557 of 2608 Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 AM

There is no date of manufacture on my 32w6. Nor is it on the box on the serial number labels. It was made in Mexico.

This weekend I will go look at the displays at Best Buy just to compare.
post #558 of 2608 Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 PM

I've also noticed that PIP doesn't work at all on my 32w6. From the specs I can find I'm not sure it's supposed to have PIP. Looked like HDMI had to be one of the PIP sources but all I get is feature not available when I use the PIP button.
post #559 of 2608 Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM

I have mine hooked up via HDMI and the PIP works between the inputs. When I had the signal going component the PIP did not work so it looks like the HDMI has to be an input. On my 55" Mits, the PIP function would not work with DTV signal. Does anyone know how to get into the service menu for this tv?
post #560 of 2608 Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post

Looks like the newer firmware on my 32w6 fixes issues discussed earlier in this thread.

One of the very few small issues I have with the 32w6 is that it forgets the scanned channels when I switch between cableTV and antenna tuning. So I switch and autoscan the OTA channels...if I go back to cable STD, I have to autoscan all the cable channels again. This wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't have to scan through all those digital music channels.

Did the new firmware fix this at all?

Justin
post #561 of 2608 Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 PM

I can't really comment on this issue. I don't have cable TV running to this set all the time. The coax line that runs to my 32w6 is from an outside rooftop antenna. I can say that I can view analog channels that are picked up via this antenna as well as the digital OTA channels. It would be interesting if I could combine cable TV with it's analog channels and QAM with my OTA antenna on the same line. How does one do that?

I did have a chance to look at the floor model for the 32w6 at Best Buy. It had version 1.0 of firmware and the menus looked like the ones in the manual. PIP worked on that one. Looks like it might be worth a call to Westinghouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck View Post

One of the very few small issues I have with the 32w6 is that it forgets the scanned channels when I switch between cableTV and antenna tuning. So I switch and autoscan the OTA channels...if I go back to cable STD, I have to autoscan all the cable channels again. This wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't have to scan through all those digital music channels.

Did the new firmware fix this at all?

post #562 of 2608 Old 08-19-2006, 02:18 AM

Ok, so I have been looking into buying my first HD/LCD TV. I have narrowed my choices down to the 27-w7 and the 27-w6.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to which one would be the best choice. I know that the w7 is a newer model and therefore must have certain bugs fixed/new features, right? But, the w6 is much cheaper right now.

Any advice is welcome,
thanks.
post #563 of 2608 Old 08-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_User_BoB View Post

Ok, so I have been looking into buying my first HD/LCD TV. I have narrowed my choices down to the 27-w7 and the 27-w6.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to which one would be the best choice. I know that the w7 is a newer model and therefore must have certain bugs fixed/new features, right? But, the w6 is much cheaper right now.

Any advice is welcome,
thanks.

I have the 27w6 and very happy with it, considering i only use rabbit ears. One person mentioned above that they have the new models 32w6 / 27w7 and the service port appears to be USB whereas the service port on the older curvy models 32w3 / 27w6 have a different sort. It might be beneficial to get something you can upgrade yourself if that ever becomes possible?
just a thought.

otherwise i purchased the 27w6 because i felt the PQ was better and appeared more like i remembered the 27w2 was like.
wendek

PQ is in the eye of the beholder though
post #564 of 2608 Old 08-19-2006, 11:15 AM

I've decided to pick up the 27w7 sometime in the next month and a half, and if it turns out being too small, I'll just return it for the 32w6. This thread has helped me immensely in determining whether the Westy was worth it considering the low price tag, but now I see it is a rather great set.

Thanks again, I'll be posting back when I go get it.
post #565 of 2608 Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Can I use a 3m microfiber cloth to clean the screen of the 32w6? Is there any recommened sprays to use or just wipe down dry everytime?
post #566 of 2608 Old 08-19-2006, 01:09 PM

i was wondering the same thing, i've notices some bitty 3-yr finger prints on my LCD screen. DOH!
what are others using?
post #567 of 2608 Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 AM

What are the BEST settings for Xbox 360?

Also can you get HDTV channels without a box?
post #568 of 2608 Old 08-20-2006, 11:31 AM

ok games on xbox 360 look great but one thing, whenever you hit the guide button, everything becomes blurry

dvds don't look spectacular as well

i only get on HD channel because right now i have no box

sd channels look like crap

WTF I thought this was a good TV?
post #569 of 2608 Old 08-20-2006, 04:30 PM

The bottom line is thus far I'm pleased.

For several months I've been mulling the purchase of an HDTV to replace my aging 25+ year old Sony Trinitron which still works well but ain't HD. My TV needs are modest. I want to get OTA with amplified indoor antenna.

Last week BestBuy put the Westy on sale $150 off at the same time Massachusetts was having its sales tax free weekend and that was all that was need to push me off the wall.

Setting up the Westy was simple using the quick connect guide. Plug in the detached power cord, plug in the antenna, hit the power switch and after an ~10second boot-up the LTV-32W6 offers to scan for channels. The scan found quite a few channels on the first round but others I knew existed were missed.
This is where the find channel function comes in. This lets you turn your antenna by small amounts (I used 45 deg increments) and scan for a signal. This way I was able to fill out my masterlist of channels in about an hour or two.

I've had the TV for a week and the viewing has been great. I'm in third floor walk up in Randolph, MA south of Boston, am surrounded by leafy trees and have hills to the north of me. Despite this I get 30 analog and digital channels from Boston and Providence. Of course some are more reliable than others.

Some have recommended buying special DVDs or CDs to help tweek the picture settings. I eschewed this in favor of adjusting the settings until they were most pleasing to my wife's and my eyes.

The Westy only has two screen settings Fill and Standard. However, I have not found this limiting. I do notice that on some stations a letter boxed 480 picture will sometimes show a shimmering white top border. A switch to Fill eliminates this.

A nice to have feature would be a clock and alarm functions. Even more desirable would be a live signal strength meter to help in adjusting the antenna. Also be aware that despite BestBuy's erroneous website, the Westy lacks PiP. Finally, the manual while simple is a bit too simple in some places leaving it up to you to fill in gaps.
post #570 of 2608 Old 08-20-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_evans033050 View Post

This is where the find channel function comes in. This lets you turn your antenna by small amounts (I used 45 deg increments) and scan for a signal.

You have a find channel function? I sure could use something like that. What firmware does your tv have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_evans033050 View Post

Also be aware that despite BestBuy's erroneous website, the Westy lacks PiP.

My 32w6 does have PIP, but one of the inputs has to be HDMI.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page