post #271 of 1912 Old 09-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vim View Post

My review:

Background: No previous HDTV experience, had Sony 35'' CRT TV, just analog cable, no cable box, antenna for HD OTA - still working on that, watching TV from about 8 feet.

Remote: looks big, solid and heavy but in my hands feels good. I like button setup. You can use it without looking at it, so that is very good. I would not even mention, this but few weeks ago I bought Toshiba DVD-HDD recorder and Remote on that unit is just miserable. So you do not know how important it is till you get something bad.

PQ: HDD - absolutely amazing. I had Sharp 37D40 TV for few days and would say that this TV looks better. Just my opinion.

PQ QAM: I am getting about 20 free channels. They all digital 480i, but quality very much is different between them. Some of them I swear look like HD, even input info says 480i.

PQ NTSC: depends on channel and probably on my cable. Very high numbers are very good, I would say much better than expected. Channels 2-6 are quite bad. I know there is a problem with my cable, so for you it will depend.

TV Guide: very good implementation. It is not Tivo, but for analog cable is very good. Guide responds well, location of information is very reasonable laid out. Again, TV Guide on same Toshiba DVD-HDD records is much much worse - slow response time, awkward layout.

Good things comparing to Shard 37D40U I had for a few days:
1 Bigger by 5 inces and it is very noticable.
2. It has two antenna input: one for cable and another for OTA antenna. Big big advantage.
3. Has TV Guide
5. My OTA channels came in stronger on this TV for some reason (same location, same antenna).

Now I am not an expert, but I absolutelly like this TV. Right now I am watching mostly SD channels and they are good enough for me.

Enjoy

TV 42HL196,

Did you hook it up to a PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1912 Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
vim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatko View Post

Did you hook it up to a PC?

No, I am not planning to use it for PC. For me it is just TV, and I would say very good TV :-).
post #273 of 1912 Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

I've looked all over for this answer and can't seem to get how to do it.
Is there a way in the service menu to adjust overscan on component
inputs? Do you access the service menu the same way as other Toshiba sets?
(I also own a Tosh RP CRT set)

BTW, I have backlight set to zero on all inputs.
Looks fine to me!

Any takers on this?

...is you is, or is you ain't my constituency?
post #274 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Had this TV going on 2 weeks now. Overall I am pretty happy with it (so far) except for some weirdness this set is having at certain times.
I'll try to explain best I can.

When I first got this TV, I hooked it up to my old DVD player (Panny R32...non progressive) with some component cables.
I noticed then when playing DVDs, the actors faces (medium to close-up shots) were looking strange. When they moved their heads from side to side or up and down their faces would "contort" or "distort". Looked like the panel couldn't handle that slight movement. Eventhough action scenes are OK and motion in general is very good (ie) car chase scene etc.

I decided to get an Upconverting DVD (Sony DVPNS75H) combined with a HDMI cable, thinking this would solve that motion distortion of faces. After hooking it up, it seemed to get rid of the face distortion, but I started noticing again after awhile.
It's really strange, actions scenes are fine, but when there is a face shot and the actor face moves from side to side or up and down, the face distorts and almost looks like jello moving around (for lack of a better description).
I guess what I want to find out if anyone here has noticed this and is this common to LCD flat panel displays?
I am sure it's the display itself, as it has done it on 2 different dvd players.

Thx
post #275 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Looks great and i love how fast the channels lock in on both Stand and HD signals. Two questions, one does this unit have variable sound output and if so how do you set up and two i cant seem to get any detail on dark scenes. I have tried all different setting. Has anyone had luck with this?
post #276 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM
vim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky11 View Post

Had this TV going on 2 weeks now. Overall I am pretty happy with it (so far) except for some weirdness this set is having at certain times.
I'll try to explain best I can.

When I first got this TV, I hooked it up to my old DVD player (Panny R32...non progressive) with some component cables.
I noticed then when playing DVDs, the actors faces (medium to close-up shots) were looking strange. When they moved their heads from side to side or up and down their faces would "contort" or "distort". Looked like the panel couldn't handle that slight movement. Eventhough action scenes are OK and motion in general is very good (ie) car chase scene etc.
Thx

On Theater 1 setting, when you watch 4:3 movie picture size is kept in original size in the center of the screen and it is expanded on both sides. So you would see that gelly effect. Is that possible the case for you? Change picture to normal and check for this behaviour.
post #277 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM

For those of us who are running cable straight to the unit and/or no HDMI (yet) for box or DVD.

By my eye, not a calibration disc:

Contrast: 100 - LCDs can handle a very high setting, this unit handles 100% without washing out whites or lighter colors
Backlight: 15 - Only way to deepen the blacks, some set this down to 0
Brightness: 60 - To compensate a bit for the backlight without compromising blacks
Color: 60 - Again, due to the low backlight, gives a little "pop" without overdoing it, especially in darker scenes
Tint: 0 - Fine by me eye
Sharpness: still messing around with this but I've tried everything between 40-100 and don't see a discernable difference...any suggestions/comments? This control appears pretty much useless per my setup

Anyone else?
post #278 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:

On Theater 1 setting, when you watch 4:3 movie picture size is kept in original size in the center of the screen and it is expanded on both sides. So you would see that gelly effect. Is that possible the case for you? Change picture to normal and check for this behaviour.

Thanks Vim for the thought , but it does this while playing 1080i via HDMI cablefrom the Sony upconverting DVD player.
Maybe the panel is defective? Hope someone has an idea or have witness this.
post #279 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Sporky11 - I have not noticed what you describe on my 42HL196. One thing I do notice on occasion with the 42" with facial close ups is camera focus - for example last night watching the Office you could see the camera focusing on the faces (while background would go slightly out of focus) - if the face moved (and went out of focus) there would be a slight fuzzing. Remember The Office is filmed kind of like a home movie. Whenever the camera shot is wide - everything stays in focus and is crystal clear.
post #280 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colisemo View Post

Looks great and i love how fast the channels lock in on both Stand and HD signals. Two questions, one does this unit have variable sound output and if so how do you set up and two i cant seem to get any detail on dark scenes. I have tried all different setting. Has anyone had luck with this?

On advanced picture settings, try turning off the Dynamic contrast
post #281 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 03:48 PM

Toshiba 26HL66

i was reading somewhere the qualitys close to an aquos

is that true?
post #282 of 1912 Old 09-29-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visman View Post

Sporky11 - I have not noticed what you describe on my 42HL196. One thing I do notice on occasion with the 42" with facial close ups is camera focus - for example last night watching the Office you could see the camera focusing on the faces (while background would go slightly out of focus) - if the face moved (and went out of focus) there would be a slight fuzzing. Remember The Office is filmed kind of like a home movie. Whenever the camera shot is wide - everything stays in focus and is crystal clear.

Thx Visman for your input. This happens on all DVDs. It's not a matter of our of focus or the way the movie was shot. I think it's the panel and how it's handling movement, but only noticeable on actors faces when they move their heads from side to side or up and down. It's very noticeable (esp if you're looking for it) and if you havn't seen it, maybe it's a flaw in the set I have?? I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night with Val Kimar and it was really apparent as there are lots of close face shots in the movie.
post #283 of 1912 Old 10-01-2006, 05:58 PM
vim

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby1 View Post

sorry, the first line should read: " press mute twice on the REMOTE". sorry for any confusion.

also, just so it's said: "MAKING ANY CHANGES IN TO THE TELEVISION WHILE IN SERVICE MODE CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE TO YOUR TELEVISION THAT MAY CAUSE IT TO BECOME INOPERABLE. CHANGES ARE MADE AT YOUR OWN RISK".

Thanks for this info. I went into this menu, but because it did not look very user frendly and because I did not understand much, I just turned off TV. As I said I just wanted to check how many hours this TV was ON. I know that some Plasma TV lets you do that. But probably to go through that menu you have to know some stuff about TV, so I just backed out.
post #284 of 1912 Old 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky11 View Post

I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night with Val Kimar and it was really apparent as there are lots of close face shots in the movie.

It's a well known bug with Val Kilmar's face and has been reported in numerous threads.

Larry
post #285 of 1912 Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzow View Post

It's a well known bug with Val Kilmar's face and has been reported in numerous threads.

That's funny, and considering you live in Ottawa, even more so.

Now do you know what this MOTION problem could be FROM??
post #286 of 1912 Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

I have this set, and I think that the problem with motion is a defect in the TV. It is noticable to me when watching football. To me, this is a dealbreaker since I watch a lot of sports on the set. I think that I will return it to BB for a plasma (which should be a lot better with handling motion).

Other than the motion problem, this is a solid TV.
post #287 of 1912 Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:

i think maybe you're all smokin' something funny. these sets have a refresh rate of 8ms, which i would think would eliminate all blurring and motion artifact to the human eye.

i've had my set for about 2 months, and i just don't see the issue you guys are talking about.

maybe you have defective panels and you should exchange it for a different set?

also, i haven't seen any 1080p plasma panels out yet.

I wish I was smokin something, but I'm not...I set the backlight to 0 a few days ago and it seemed to help a bit (not sure why). I notice it mostly in faces, and it's not exactly blurring, it's the panels inability to keep up with the movement and getting a jelly like wabble in the face
. Sometimes its bad enough where one half of the face will go up and the other down. Strange. Maybe a bad panel. Should I get a tech to come see it? Its a hassle to retuen such a large set. Everything else is fine...so far...
post #288 of 1912 Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Well I just bought 32HL86 last week and my settings are as follows.

Backlight 100 - don't notice much of a difference between 1-100, though it seems way too dark at 0

Contrast 80

Brightness 40

the rest (color, tint, sharpness) I left as per factory setting...as I don't notice anything worthy of changing, to my eye anyway

Am currently satisfied with above calibration.

Am wondering if calibration changes if connecting HDMI for instance?

So far am happy with the set, at $1,099 CDN, a good deal - though it seems LCD prices are gonna hit below 1K in 12-15 months.

Good stuff, my first LCD and I feel totally reborn from watching a 24inch CRT the last 25 years. Watching DVD in widescreen 16X9 is just amazing.

Cheers
post #289 of 1912 Old 10-03-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:

i think maybe you're all smokin' something funny. these sets have a refresh rate of 8ms, which i would think would eliminate all blurring and motion artifact to the human eye.

It's common knowledge that manufacturers sometimes distort the performance measures of their tvs, like contrast ratios. Perhaps these Toshibas do not have a true refresh rate of 8ms?

I don't think that I want to take the chance with another panel, especially since other users seem to be having this problem as well.
post #290 of 1912 Old 10-03-2006, 06:49 AM
vim

Quote:
Originally Posted by afghan66 View Post

It's common knowledge that manufacturers sometimes distort the performance measures of their tvs, like contrast ratios. Perhaps these Toshibas do not have a true refresh rate of 8ms?

I don't think that I want to take the chance with another panel, especially since other users seem to be having this problem as well.

Before returning your TV make sure your problem is not with DVD player or other source. I did noticed very bad ghosting on PBS channel, and it looked like it was TV problem, but then I found large thread in the forum, were everybody who watched PBS from Buffalo had same problem. It was aftermath of change that PBS put in place.
I have this TV, and can say that it is just perfect. I put TV antenna in my attic and now can receive 11 HD channels just from the air! And the picture is just amazing.
post #291 of 1912 Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM

If crosby1's excellent suggestions don't make an improvement DON'T bother with a service call or you will waste months going through service calls and dealing with Toshiba's god-awful customer service (they aren't even Toshiba employees) and still not have a resolution to your problem. Instead, exchange or return the unit where you purchased it before it's too late to do so. Believe me, I've been through it all before and it's worth lugging it back to the store and be done with it.
post #292 of 1912 Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 PM

I recently picked up the 32HL86 up here in Canada. It's basically the 32HL66 without the ATSC tuner. I was close to buying the Sammy 3251D but decided to save the $700CDN difference. The Sammy has deeper blacks but the Toshiba has better shadow detail and a slider adjustment for the backlight.

I was surprised to read in the owner's manual that the 32HL86 has a cold cathode fluorescent lamp. CCF backlighting has been a much hyped feature of the new Sony XBR's and Sammy 3292.
post #293 of 1912 Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 PM

How to remove table stand on 32HLV66?
post #294 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Before returning your TV make sure your problem is not with DVD player or other source.

I agree. What's being described sounds like classic cable or sattellite compression artifacts. During fast motion the compression tends to seriously degrade the resolution of the moving objects (football players in this case). You'll see the effect to varying degrees on any decent TV, but the higher resolution (i.e. the 1920 x 1080 Toshiba), the more noticeable the effect.

I'm almost 100% positive that's what you're seeing. I'd suggest watching a few movies with fast motion from DVD and look for the same thing. While DVD is also compressed and the resolution drops during motion, it's not near as bad as cable and sattellite.

Basically, the higher the resolution of your TV, and the bigger the screen, the more problems with the video signal stand out. That's why standard def generally looks so bad on a big HD hi-res screen. It's like blowing up a tiny 640 x 480 photo to fill your computer monitor.

Engineer, Geek, Audiophile, Videophile, Subjectivist, Objectivist... more in my profile
post #295 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

With the cable comapnies giving less and less support for cablecards, you'll see it less and less on TVs in years to come

I hope that doesn't prove to be true? I know the FCC REQUIRES the cable companies to support CableCard. Unless the cable companies are convincing TV manufactures to not include the slot, I don't know why we're not seeing MORE of them?

But I agree they're missing from lots of new models--including the brand new Sony 1080p LCDs, most of the Sharps (you don't get a CableCard slot in a new Sharp until you spend about $8000) and almost all of the "second tier" brands (i.e. Syntax, Vizio, etc.).

CableCard slots make lots of sense. They're the modern day version of a "cable ready tuner" which became commonplace in the 80's. They eliminate the ugly (and often beat up) cable box, they potentially eliminate lots of signal processing/scaling/conversion (improving picture quality), they allow using a single user friendly TV remote (vs the cable company's cheapie), and they simplify operation of the TV.

Engineer, Geek, Audiophile, Videophile, Subjectivist, Objectivist... more in my profile
post #296 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 AM

Does anyone know if there has been software updates for the 42HL196. I have this weird issue where the captions turn on by themselves. Plus maybe the software upgrade would make the slide show feature better.

thanks in advance
post #297 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an update on my situation, since I haven't chimed in for a few days:

-I've never seen any kind of distortion or deformity in faces or anything else on this set.

-I've been busy so I haven't scheduled warranty service to deal with the vertical banding yet, and I'm not going to calibrate until I get that straightened out (soon, I hope).

-Speaker buzz: definitely not a signal problem, I think it is a physical problem with ONE of the speakers with certain low frequency tones. I can almost elliminate it by turning down the bass. I'm going to deal with that when I get the banding taken care of.

I'm still sticking with my original assessment that the PQ on this set is great and it is priced nicely. The 1024x768 VGA input limitation may be an annoyance for some people, and a minority of owners have experienced banding problems (that were apparent right away, they did not appear out of no where). If you can live with the VGA issue and you can buy from a store with a good return policy, I definitely recommend this TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astdave View Post

Does anyone know if there has been software updates for the 42HL196. I have this weird issue where the captions turn on by themselves. Plus maybe the software upgrade would make the slide show feature better.

Not that I know of. Try calling Toshiba's customer support, the number is in the manual. Some people have complained that their phone support is not very good, but the one time I called the guy I spoke with was very knowledgeable. Don't bother filling out a support request online, you'll probably just get an automated response telling you to call them.
post #298 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How come no ones posted pics of their set ups? Not a pic of a regza in the pictures forum.

Absence of Evidence is not always Evidence of Absence

live together, die alone

Gamertag: Bigbev02-Tell me if you're from AVS.

Achievement Unlocked: You've found the red couch!
post #299 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavguy View Post

I hope that doesn't prove to be true? I know the FCC REQUIRES the cable companies to support CableCard. Unless the cable companies are convincing TV manufactures to not include the slot, I don't know why we're not seeing MORE of them?

But I agree they're missing from lots of new models--including the brand new Sony 1080p LCDs, most of the Sharps (you don't get a CableCard slot in a new Sharp until you spend about $8000) and almost all of the "second tier" brands (i.e. Syntax, Vizio, etc.).

CableCard slots make lots of sense. They're the modern day version of a "cable ready tuner" which became commonplace in the 80's. They eliminate the ugly (and often beat up) cable box, they potentially eliminate lots of signal processing/scaling/conversion (improving picture quality), they allow using a single user friendly TV remote (vs the cable company's cheapie), and they simplify operation of the TV.

"support" is very tough to find. When the cable companies have very little revenue to receive from these cards, surprisingly they are very hard to get, at least up here in the Northeast
post #300 of 1912 Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Haha, oops. That's a really good clean set up, i like the ALL BLACK styling on these toshibas

Absence of Evidence is not always Evidence of Absence

live together, die alone

Gamertag: Bigbev02-Tell me if you're from AVS.

Achievement Unlocked: You've found the red couch!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page