Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1909 Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buk

Congrats on a nice purchase. While there will be some deviation from channel to channel, I would (and did) call the cable company to have a tech come and verify the signal strengh of the line.

Second, calibration discs allow the user to adjust he picture using a series of patterns for contrast, brightness, etc. The picture out of the box is usually in "torch mode", or wicked bright for obvious resons of standing out on the sales floor. o test the waters, see if you have any "THX certified" DVDs at your house. On there is a good "THX optimizer" that would be a nice start to see if you like doing this sort of thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colisemo View Post

Does this mean I do not have to buy a up converting DVD player to get 1080I or 1080p on the 42hl196?

A 1080p panel such as the 42hl196 ALWAYS displays in 1080p. The question is how does it construct the 1080p image. If you are feeding it a 1080i source, it will simply de-interlace the signal. If you feed it a 480i, 480p (used by progressive scan DVD players), or 720p the TV automatically upscales the signal to 1080 and then display it.

An upconverting DVD player can't magically put information back into the signal. It just interpolates between existing pixels to guess at what would be there if the content was a higher resolution. Which is pretty much what the TV's internal scaler does.

The only reason to get an upconverting DVD player is if you are unhappy with the performance of the TV's scaler. I own a 42HL196 and I think my fairly cheap progressive scan player at 480p looks great, but I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons with an upscaling player. You just have to decide if it is worth it to you.
post #363 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info!
post #364 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 AM

I'm seriously thinking about getting the 42HL196. Most sets in this price range have some negatives and it seems I can live with the lack of 1080p input, but ONLY if it de-interlaces correctly.

I know Home Theatre Mag had that article where they showed that many 1080p sets do not perform the deinterlace correctly.

Has anyone here verified that the 42HL196 does deinterlace a 1080i signal correctly?
post #365 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Does anyone know if there really is channel labeling available for the Toshiba 32HLV66 lcd/dvd combo tv? It is listed as one of its key features/benefits on toshiba's site (http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...?model=32hlv66)
However, I can not find it in the tv's system menus nor is it listed in the user manual. I did find input/video source labeling, but that is a different feature. The feature appears to have been removed since I noticed that the add/remove channel submenu has a column that seems reserved for channel labeling, but I'm unable to access/modify that column.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help.
post #366 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have the 26HL66 and channel labeling is also listed as a feature - and it's not available.

I can label inputs, but not channels.

Once again, a manufacturer is in error. Part of rushing to market.

But I love the set.
post #367 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 02:41 PM

Figured that was the case... I like my set for the most part too. The hd picture quality is excellent. I just wish the channel labeling feature was available as I just recently switched cable companies and I'm getting the channels #s all mixed up since I'm used to the previous cable co.'s channel numbering scheme. Another gripe is the arrangement of the on-screen channel info. It would have been better to group all the channel info in one corner of the screen rather than spread them out over three corners of the screen. Aside from those annoyances, the set is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Press View Post

I have the 26HL66 and channel labeling is also listed as a feature - and it's not available.

I can label inputs, but not channels.

Once again, a manufacturer is in error. Part of rushing to market.

But I love the set.

post #368 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Buk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

Buk

Congrats on a nice purchase. While there will be some deviation from channel to channel, I would (and did) call the cable company to have a tech come and verify the signal strengh of the line.

Second, calibration discs allow the user to adjust he picture using a series of patterns for contrast, brightness, etc. The picture out of the box is usually in "torch mode", or wicked bright for obvious resons of standing out on the sales floor. o test the waters, see if you have any "THX certified" DVDs at your house. On there is a good "THX optimizer" that would be a nice start to see if you like doing this sort of thing

Thanks a very helpful hint. I grabbed a Star Wars DVD and found the menu you referred to. I can see where this can be a time consuming and perhaps difficult task. I also see that it would be difficult to calibrate to the cable service unless they send some sort of test pattern/signal for you to calibrate to your tastes.

Buk
post #369 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Buk

I'm sure you all have had this happen already, but I wasn't ready for this. I was running a DVD doing a calibration and I stopped the DVD and went to switch inputs on the TV, but no picture. Okay, I'm new to this. Perhaps I picked the wrong input. So I switched inputs and no picture. Switched, no picture, switched, no picture. I get text okay, no picture. I get the TV guide okay, no picture.

What the heck have I done. Is there like a mute for video?

I grabbed the manual. Troubleshooting guide says if TV doesn't respond to controls, hold the Power button for 5 seconds.

Okay, I do that and the picture comes back.

How often does this happen? Heck it's only a few hours old and it's going black already.

Panic Attack,

Buk
post #370 of 1909 Old 10-18-2006, 11:42 PM

I am new to LCD TV's, and would really love some help because I am having a lot of trouble with the quality of picture.

Currently, I have my TV hooked up to analog cable with a monster co-axial cord.
The picture is horrible with every channel. It is particularily bad when I am watching hockey. It looks like I am watching an old VHS recording!

How do I fix this problem? If I get normal digital cable, will this help? The tech at the tv company said the signal should be the same between analog and digital cable, since most of our channels here in Canada are not digital.
If this is the case, am I stuck with a horrible picture?

Also, I have a fairly cheap dvd setup to the tv with component video cables. I dont think the dvd player has progressive scan. The dvd picture can be quite lacking at times, but not as bad as my cable tv picture. I want to upgrade dvd players, but I dont want to go too overboard with prices. What are the most important features to acquire with a new dvd player?

Thank you very very much!!!!
post #371 of 1909 Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Tim,

See my previous post (#395) about upconverting DVD players. You can find them for less than $100, and really good ones for less than $200. If you are going to get a new one anyway, you might want to spring for upconverting since they aren't that much more expensive. For any HDTV progressive scan is a must. Dig around the other forums and you'll find lots of opinions on which models are worth how much money.

Just a thought: If your current DVD player has component outs, there is a chance that it already supports progressive scan. You might have to put it into progressive mode, either by pressing a button on the unit or through the player's on-screen menu.

As far as your image problems go, I've found that analog cable just looks bad on larger HDTVs. Imperfections that you'd barely notice on a 30" SDTV make the show nearly unwatchable on a 42" HDTV. I'd expect switching to digital will improve things quite a bit, definitely give it a shot. You might have another option if you can you get over-the-air digital. Even if you get lousy aerial reception for analog channels, you might get decent digital reception.
post #372 of 1909 Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 AM

From what I have been told at the local AV store is that the 32hlv95 has been discontinued and replaced with the 32hlv66 with one major difference -- the lack of a cable-card. The cable-card and built in DVD player were two major attributes that attracted me to the 32hlx95. I could have just one cable to the TV and be able to watch HDTV or a DVD. I could get rid of the cable box and dvd player all at once!

Now, my questions. Does anyone know the rationale behind the deletion of the cable-card? Second, is there a current model with a built-in DVD and cable-card?

Thanks for your help.

Hoss
post #373 of 1909 Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 AM

Has anyone seen banding issues with the 42 or 47" sets? I believe Toshiba gets there panels from CMO, which are also used in Westinghouse and the Sharp (LC42D62U) model. Members are reporting banding problems with those.
post #374 of 1909 Old 10-19-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss2112 View Post

From what I have been told at the local AV store is that the 32hlv95 has been discontinued and replaced with the 32hlv66 with one major difference -- the lack of a cable-card. The cable-card and built in DVD player were two major attributes that attracted me to the 32hlx95. I could have just one cable to the TV and be able to watch HDTV or a DVD. I could get rid of the cable box and dvd player all at once!

Now, my questions. Does anyone know the rationale behind the deletion of the cable-card? Second, is there a current model with a built-in DVD and cable-card?

Thanks for your help.

Toshiba did the same thing with their 42" plasma. Got rid of the cable card and the TVGOS. They are not the only ones, however, as I believe Panasonic's current 42" plasma, not sure about their LCDs, doesn't have the CC any longer either. We're starting to see set manufacturers cut out these conveniences unless you go to their highest priced models. Their excuse is that the CC is not catching on as they thought it would. Sounds to me like they are simply baiting consumers to spend a good deal more for what started to become rather standard features.
post #375 of 1909 Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWHJR1 View Post

Toshiba did the same thing with their 42" plasma. Got rid of the cable card and the TVGOS. They are not the only ones, however, as I believe Panasonic's current 42" plasma, not sure about their LCDs, doesn't have the CC any longer either. We're starting to see set manufacturers cut out these conveniences unless you go to their highest priced models. Their excuse is that the CC is not catching on as they thought it would. Sounds to me like they are simply baiting consumers to spend a good deal more for what started to become rather standard features.

Sharp and LG have dropped Cable Card and TV guide support on thier 06' models. too.

Back on topic, I really wish Toshiba would post the manuals for the HL66 series online. Don't suppose I can con someone into scaning thier manuals and uploading them could I? Particually the 32HL66 model.
post #376 of 1909 Old 10-20-2006, 07:09 AM

I jut got HD hooked up to my 42lx196 and watched the Devils game on MSGHD last night. The picture was great bu the sound was awful (crackling when they talked). When I swiched the game to regular MSG the sound was OK but of course I lost the better picture. Anyone else have problems with the sound on the LX196?
post #377 of 1909 Old 10-20-2006, 08:09 AM

Hey guys. first let me say this is an awsome forum good response times and technical people. Here is my question. I have my 42HL196 hooked up directly to the cable jack. When I watch analog channels and a commercial comes on that has a lot of white in it like some guy talking with a white backdrop, I start to hear buzzing through the speakers. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to clean up the signal before it gets to my TV or maybe there is some other resolution to this issue.

thanks in advance
post #378 of 1909 Old 10-20-2006, 04:13 PM

I just saw a 42lx196 at a store that was a "repaired" return. It had all of the accessories with it and 1 year warranty. The price was $1222! An extended warranty for about $150 is available.

The distance from our sectional to the TV screen is between 15 and 18 feet. Is this too small a TV to get? Maybe I should put it in the bedroom, it has 10 feet for a viewing distance.

What do you all think?
post #379 of 1909 Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldalynx View Post

I just saw a 42lx196 at a store that was a "repaired" return. It had all of the accessories with it and 1 year warranty. The price was $1222! An extended warranty for about $150 is available.

The distance from our sectional to the TV screen is between 15 and 18 feet. Is this too small a TV to get? Maybe I should put it in the bedroom, it has 10 feet for a viewing distance.

What do you all think?

The minimum viewing distance for a 1080p panel is 1.5X the horizontal. That's only about 5.25 ft. I would say that it is better suited for your bedroom. It is to small for a viewing distance of 15 ft. I am using a Toshiba 37HL95 in my bedroom (viewing distance 10ft) and I may change it to a 42 soon as I find it a bit small.
post #380 of 1909 Old 10-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Hi,

I recently bought this Toshiba LCD, and I am having trouble with the picture size on my HD channels. I have digital cable with HD, and the picture doesn't seem to fit the screen properly. Primarily, I cannot see the score when it is shown on the top of most games. It cuts off the top. I have tried changing my settings using "Pic Size" from the menu. The following are the options I have:

Natural, Theater Wide 1, Theater Wide 2, Theater Wide 3, Full, and Native

The closest size seems to be "Native", but it still cuts off the top of the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #381 of 1909 Old 10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

have you checked to see if you've hit the "zoom" button on the Cable box remote? What box are you using?
post #382 of 1909 Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Brilliant!! That was it. My cable guy came and installed while I was at work, and my wife didn't ask enough questions. I "unzoomed" and the picture looks perfect now. Thanks for the quick reply.
post #383 of 1909 Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby1 View Post

how wide are the bars and where exactly on the screen are they? i have a similar issue with the 42HL196, and thinking it was the set, i returned it for another. same problem, so it's not the set itself. there are 2 bars, one on the top left and one on the top right. the one on the left is black and the one on the right is white. they are about 2 inches long and about an eighth of an inch wide. i only see them on HD channels in native mode.

here's the issue (at least for me): it turns out that the HD signal from comcast is not a "pure" HD signal (surprise, surprise) and therefore the bars are visible when viewing HD content in native mode. if i change to natural mode, the bars disappear. not a huge deal, but still kind of an annoyance. i have all other channels set to "theaterwide 1" and have no issues with bars.

i'm going to take a wild guess here and say you also have a signal problem. strange that you see them on dvd's also...i don't. is your dvd player HD? how is it connected?

maybe have your cable/satellite company come out and check signal strength.

i posted earlier about this same problem. i have the 42hl196 i have yet to figure out what exactly is going on or how to fix it. its not the cable signal as i get the vertical bars on both over the air hd and dvd. you can only see them when there is a solid color on screen, ie a football field. im not sure what to do now as the 30 day best buy return policy has expired and i still have the tv and the problem. it looks as im not the only one out there who sees these bars. is this a widespread issue?
post #384 of 1909 Old 10-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Just got the 42HL196 and love it so far, I hooked up my PS2 to it and its extremly blurry and just doesnt look good. Is there anyway to make my PS2 look decent on this TV or do I just need to upgrade to a next gen console (Xbox360)
post #385 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby1 View Post

how are you connected? analog cable, component, hdmi, dvi/hdmi, etc. what are your audio inputs and outputs (digital, analog)? does this only happen on MSG or does it happen on other channels?

please post back with more info so we can try help. the more info, the better the chance that someone will have an answer for you.

So fare it seems only on MSG. I am connected through a HDMI cable to my Cablevision HDDVR box. I will try it again tonight and see if it's still happining.
post #386 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM

just got a Toshiba 26HLC56, the question is, I can't find any info on the bit rate processing for this set.
Regza states "NEW" 12 bit rate, but what is the 26HLC56 using?
What is Regza speed ( 8ms or 5ms?)

anybody with these answers
post #387 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The 26HLC56 is not a REGZA, and does not have 12 bit video processing. Toshiba rates their panels in this size at "8 ms or less"
post #388 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 11:52 AM

Is the 800:1 contrast ratio on the 42HL196 model an issue?
post #389 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 PM

Hey again. For those of you who've read my previous posts on how I was having "motion problems" with this set, I think I have finally(?) figured out why.
Seems there is a little thing called "HDCP" (definition below from another site)

" HDCP...It is an ageement between the movie studios and the dvd makers that trys to protect the digital output of a dvd player and the digital input of a display unit from the ability to scale any copy protected dvd to a resolution higher than 720 x 480p which is standard. Since the digital path of DVI and the soon to be popular HDMI is so pure if you were able to scale it to 1080i or p or 720p you would basically be watching the quality of the Movie Studio's negative, (which is as pure as it comes). If you were able to make a copy of it at that resolution (its basically for crooks that want to distribute master copies on a large scale. "

So store bought discs will not "upconvert" properly (via my Sony DVP-NS75H) and thus this annoying motion distortion.
I know cause I played the same movie..1 store bought, one not and voiola, the non store bought played just great, whereas the store bought one had the motion BS.
Eventhough on both it says its playing at 1080i, the store bought DVD played worse.

BS to say the least. Amazing the Studios won't even let you make your store bought copy of your movie look better. Talk about big brother.

Any input on this topic would be appreciated. I heard there were codes to disable the HDCP in your DVD player??
post #390 of 1909 Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 PM

Shouldn't I be able to get 1080i via the component cables on this set? I tried but could only get 480p. Is there a setting to get 1080i or is 480p max.?

Thx
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page