post #451 of 1908 Old 11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmann View Post

One of the things I liked about the marketing of the 32HLV66 was the Stablesound feature to keep commercial volumes from being excessively louder than the programs. It seems, however, that any SD content is much louder than HD content, so if I watch an HD program and a commercial comes on, or I switch to a SD channel, the volume needs to be reduced drastically, from a setting of 45-50 for HD programs, down to 25-35 for SD programs and commercials. Turning on Stablesound gave very minimal improvement in commercial volume, but the difference between SD and HD channels is still very bothersome.

I tried fiddling with the SRS WOW and MTS stereo settings without any difference. Any recommendations, besides just living with it?

are you using a cable box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1908 Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 PM

I have it wired however I have not tried it as of yet. I really have no use for a remote control form factor keyboard. I have an HTPC sitting just below the LCD that I can use for email if necessary. I tried the firmware update and was told there were none available. Seems to work. I will let you know if I try it perhaps on the weekend.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txs View Post

gminich :
Have you used the THINC feature ? Any improvement over other models ?
How about the THINC MAIL ?
Thanks

post #453 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 04:50 PM

I have been following the Sony forums, thinking iIwas going for a Sony but I recently found out that only have one RF connector and so I am considering a Toshiba 42HL196 which has 2 RF inputs. I have always been impressed with thier performance against the competition but was concerned about the 1080P vs 1080I issue.

Anyway I really don't think that matters to me and so my only concern now is the use of 2 RF inputs - I need 2 because I have analogue cable from the wall and then will have a roof antenna for OTA HD broadcasts. How easy is it to swap from wall source to HD antenna source on this TV.

Thanks
post #454 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 PM
vim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste4en View Post

I have been following the Sony forums, thinking iIwas going for a Sony but I recently found out that only have one RF connector and so I am considering a Toshiba 42HL196 which has 2 RF inputs. I have always been impressed with thier performance against the competition but was concerned about the 1080P vs 1080I issue.

Anyway I really don't think that matters to me and so my only concern now is the use of 2 RF inputs - I need 2 because I have analogue cable from the wall and then will have a roof antenna for OTA HD broadcasts. How easy is it to swap from wall source to HD antenna source on this TV.

Thanks

I had for very short time Sharp LCD TV that had just one input and it was very hard to switch sources there - you had to rescan all channels every time.
So I know how important this is and really like my Toshiba LCD. You simply have to press imput button on remote and then choose source based on 8 available inputs. My cable is on input 0 and my atenna is on input 8. Very very easy to switch. So you press on remote 'Input','8' or 'Input','0' buttons. Thats is it.
And - I live in Toronto and I am getting 12 HD channels just over the air. It is fantastic quality.
post #455 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM

Does anyone here know if the new Playstation3, when playing a Blueray movie, will be as good as quality as buying a dedicated Blueray player like Samsung ($1200 Cdn).
I had heard before that Playstations or Xboxes as DVD players are not as good.
Coments????
post #456 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vim View Post

I had for very short time Sharp LCD TV that had just one input and it was very hard to switch sources there - you had to rescan all channels every time.
So I know how important this is and really like my Toshiba LCD. You simply have to press imput button on remote and then choose source based on 8 available inputs. My cable is on input 0 and my atenna is on input 8. Very very easy to switch. So you press on remote 'Input','8' or 'Input','0' buttons. Thats is it.
And - I live in Toronto and I am getting 12 HD channels just over the air. It is fantastic quality.

Vim, what kind of antenna do you use and where did you buy. I don't think we get 12 HD station in Vancouver...we do get a tomn of rain though
post #457 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky11 View Post

Does anyone here know if the new Playstation3, when playing a Blueray movie, will be as good as quality as buying a dedicated Blueray player like Samsung ($1200 Cdn).
I had heard before that Playstations or Xboxes as DVD players are not as good.
Coments????

No, it pobably won't be as good as a stand alone Blu-Ray player, but that is WAY off topic! Check out this thread.
post #458 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste4en View Post

Thanks

It's exceptionally easy, ant 1 is input #1 and ant#2 is input#8, you can scroll through the inputs, deleting those you don't use, or jus hit "input" and the input number you want.

Couldn't be easier
post #459 of 1908 Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM
txs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminich View Post

I have it wired however I have not tried it as of yet. I really have no use for a remote control form factor keyboard. I have an HTPC sitting just below the LCD that I can use for email if necessary. I tried the firmware update and was told there were none available. Seems to work. I will let you know if I try it perhaps on the weekend.

Cheers!

gminich :
Thanks for your response. One other feature that I am interested in is the "stable sound" on this LCD. However, a few posts back, someone was complaining about this function not being effective. How about your TV ? Does the stable sound work ?
Finally, the contrast ratio is not up to par with the newer generation of other brands such as Sharp and Samsung. Have you compared this TV with others ?
Thanks
post #460 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 04:36 AM
vim

Quote:

Vim, what kind of antenna do you use and where did you buy. I don't think we get 12 HD station in Vancouver...we do get a tomn of rain though

I have channel master 4221 antenna. I bought it from local guy.

You can read everyting about OTA in Canada here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81
You even will be able to find how many channels you can potentially get in your part of town.

I saw antenna online in Canada here:
http://www.sensuz.com
post #461 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 05:15 AM

Ok, new guy here, and more than a little slow.

So, if I were to pick up this tv, and hook up my PS3 and the 360 HD DVD to it, I would get 1080p?

If so, I think I will pick it up, as it is on sale for a pretty sweet price up here in Canada.

Thanks!
post #462 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other feature that I am interested in is the "stable sound" on this LCD. However, a few posts back, someone was complaining about this function not being effective. How about your TV ? Does the stable sound work ?

At first I really liked this feature, but I found that occassionally it seemed to not work correctly. A show would cut to a commercial and the volume would stay level, but after a few seconds it would slowly get louder, as though someone was turning up the volume. It never got louder than it would've been if StableSound was disabled. I'd guess it worked correctly for at least 75% of commercial breaks. Maybe it has something to do with the specific commercial or the signal, I don't know. Ultimately I found the inconsistancy of it annoying so I just turned it off.

The MUTE feature of this TV is a bit unique: Press the button once and the volume cuts in half. Press it again and it completely mutes the speakers. Press it a third time and it goes back to normal. The half-mute works pretty well if you just want to decrease the volume during the commercials.

Quote:

Finally, the contrast ratio is not up to par with the newer generation of other brands such as Sharp and Samsung. Have you compared this TV with others ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthhaider View Post

So, if I were to pick up this tv, and hook up my PS3 and the 360 HD DVD to it, I would get 1080p?

The answers to both of these questions are on the current page (17) of this thread. (Edit: I guess it is the previous page now.) But the short answers are: The contrast ratio is measured differently way by different manufacturers, so advertised values aren't really meaningful. The maximum input of the set is 1080i, but the signal is deinterlaced by the TV and displayed at 1080p. The deinterlacer for the Regza sets is very good and it is unlikely you'd notice ANY difference between this and a set that accepts 1080p directly.

Can we stop asking this question now?
post #463 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

are you using a cable box?

Yes, I use Comcast cable, with a Motorola DVR/cablebox. Any other way to try to balance out the volume between the very quiet HD programs and the much louder SD programs and commercials?
post #464 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Yes, I use Comcast cable, with a Motorola DVR/cablebox. Any other way to try to balance out the volume between the very quiet HD programs and the much louder SD programs and commercials?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Stablesound would work at all if you're using a cable box.
post #465 of 1908 Old 11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Usually in the set up menu of the box there is an "audio range" option. Try to see if it's there...
post #466 of 1908 Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Does anyone know if the 47LX196 has a fixed or swivel stand? The Toshiba site isn't clear, some of the internet resellers say it does have, but when I stuck my head in my local retailer a few days ago the fellow I talked to said that the 42" has a swivel stand, but the 47" does not. Unfortunately they and my local Best Buy only have the 42" unit on display.

Maybe someone here has this unit and can confirm?

thanks, john a
post #467 of 1908 Old 11-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA1 View Post

Does anyone know if the 47LX196 has a fixed or swivel stand? The Toshiba site isn't clear, some of the internet resellers say it does have, but when I stuck my head in my local retailer a few days ago the fellow I talked to said that the 42" has a swivel stand, but the 47" does not. Unfortunately they and my local Best Buy only have the 42" unit on display.

Maybe someone here has this unit and can confirm?

thanks, john a

I have the 47LX...mine swivels...
post #468 of 1908 Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:

...mine swivels...

That's great! Thanks for the prompt response, sporky.

I'm buying soon and it looks like it is between the Toshiba 47LX196 and the Sony KDL-46V2500. Both are the right size, and she-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't like the panels with the glossy black bezels (like the 47LZ196, the Sharps, etc).

The two on my shortlist seem very similar, although the Sony has 1080p input, and the Tosh seems to have a nicer remote. I suspect I can live with 1080i input and it will be the Toshiba if today's price difference is still there when the time comes.

john a
post #469 of 1908 Old 11-04-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA1 View Post

That's great! Thanks for the prompt response, sporky.

I'm buying soon and it looks like it is between the Toshiba 47LX196 and the Sony KDL-46V2500. Both are the right size, and she-who-must-be-obeyed doesn't like the panels with the glossy black bezels (like the 47LZ196, the Sharps, etc).

The two on my shortlist seem very similar, although the Sony has 1080p input, and the Tosh seems to have a nicer remote. I suspect I can live with 1080i input and it will be the Toshiba if today's price difference is still there when the time comes.

john a

Hey John, too bad cause the the new Sharps look good too? Inbox me if you want the price I got it for...you're in Edmonton yeah? This site frowns on posting prices (for some strange reason). I have had the 47LX for 1-1/2 months now. It's growing on me. Still have to tweak it with a set up disc one of these days...and still have not sen any real HD on it (just my Sony upconverting). Might have to get a PS3...!
post #470 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 02:30 PM

Can anyone recommend a good bracket for wall mounting the 42"? I'd like one that can tilt.

Thanks.
post #471 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 02:54 PM

techno,
had a toshiba service guy come out to check out the ghostbar problem. after telling me he that he hasnt seen this issue in any of the sets he's dealt with in the past, he said he didnt know what to do. he left telling me that he was going to contact toshiba and find out what he should do. that was last thursday. i called him back again today and he still had no answer. i had a feeling this was going to happen. i just want a new set. i love this tv but i want that damn bar gone.
post #472 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post

Can anyone recommend a good bracket for wall mounting the 42"? I'd like one that can tilt.

I'm using the Sanus VMPL2 mount. It can mount flat or at fixed 5 degrees downward tilt. Changing from tilt to no-tilt requires taking the TV off the wall (which is not difficult if you have 2 people). You'll need to use two studs, but the TV can be offset pretty far to either side, so the studs don't have to be centered on your wall.

This mount is great if you only want a little bit of tilt and are going to keep it fixed. Access to the inputs while the TV is mounted is possible, but a bit of a pain because it so close to the wall. I'd rather have the asthetics than the convience, so I'm really happy with this mount.
post #473 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've used these guys for quite a few installs, and they have good product, as well

http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/se...1-e65566341e20
post #474 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostboy88 View Post

techno,
had a toshiba service guy come out to check out the ghostbar problem. after telling me he that he hasnt seen this issue in any of the sets he's dealt with in the past, he said he didnt know what to do. he left telling me that he was going to contact toshiba and find out what he should do. that was last thursday. i called him back again today and he still had no answer. i had a feeling this was going to happen. i just want a new set. i love this tv but i want that damn bar gone.

I've got a 47lx196 with what I believe to be "ghostbars" as well. Vertical "shading" lines that are evident in bright sky shots. Very irritating for the upcoming hockey season. Anybody else have vertical barring happening?
post #475 of 1908 Old 11-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Is anybody seeing these ghost bars on the LZ models? Seems very few people have the newer sets.
post #476 of 1908 Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4100 View Post

Is anybody seeing these ghost bars on the LZ models? Seems very few people have the newer sets.

I have one and yes, while watching a hockey game last night I noticed 3 ghost bars. One in the middle and one on each side. My wife didn't notice but than again she can't tell the diffrence between HD and regular TV. I have the feeling the TV was made like this so I'm not sure if we can ever get a fix .

Also this TV is not good with viewing from angles black looks purple and other colors are diffrent.

The only good thing I can still say about the LZ is that itt makes regular TV look great. If anyone has any update on Toshiba addressing the LZ ghost bar issue please post!
post #477 of 1908 Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 AM

Does anyone know of a way to improve the black level through the service menu? I have a 37hl86 (basically the same as a 37hl66) and the service menu is A LOT less user friendly than my Samsung.
post #478 of 1908 Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostboy88 View Post

techno,

Your Toshiba guy's response is typical. No matter the issue, they'll tell you they've never seen that particular problem before and they'll contact Toshiba about it. Then he'll tell you Toshiba has never heard of this problem either. Then you go through at least two more service calls before Tohisba will even consider providing you with a new unit or offer a refund, if they even will make that offer, after your service guy tells you that the panel needs to be replaced but it's on backorder. I know all about this because before I got the 42HL196 I had the 42HP95 plasma with a major pixilation problem and the above was my experience. Funny thing is, that pixilation problem is all over the Toshiba plasma thread. I've come to the conclusion that Toshiba has some major QC issues with their flat panel products, regardless of the technology. If it's not too late, take the unit back to where you purchased it.
post #479 of 1908 Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 AM

Not promising. I've been searching for some time now and was sold on this set.

Is this one of those situations where more units sold means more problems noticed? If you sell a large number of panels you're bound to hear of more people with problems.
post #480 of 1908 Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 AM

Well, I got my 37HL86 yesterday. It's basically the same as the 37HL66 except it doesn't have a built in HD tuner. I traded in my Samsung LN-S3241 for this TV for a few reasons: I wanted a larger screen, occasionally it would randomly switch to inputs that I didn't even have anything plugged in, and it had too much overscan. My review will be based on comparisons to the Samsung.

The 37HL86 is MUCH heavier than the Sammy I had previous to it. In my opinion, it is one of the best looking LCD's out right now (identical in looks to the 37HL66); I love its simple lines and black frame (not a fan of Wega silver). After turning it on and watching HDTV from my cable box through the component inputs, I was thoroughly impressed. I could now see the entire FOX logo on FOX's HDTV channel (it was cut off on the Samsung due to overscan). Audio was lacking in the deep lows, but was much better than the audio from the Samsung. Changing over to some SD channels I was even more impressed; this TV produces a MUCH nicer image on SD channels than the Samsung ever could. After calibrating the TV (I set the backlight to 0 among many other tweaks), I realized that the blacks are not as good as the Samsung. It's not very noticeable until the screen goes to full black, but when it does, the screen appears slightly blue and defiantly gives off more light than the Sammy. This is the only aspect I've found so far that the Sammy beats the Toshiba at. Overall I'm very satisfied with this TV, and the size is much better for my viewing distance. I recommend it to anyone looking for a solid LCD TV at a good price.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page