Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1908 Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Press View Post

I edited my posting to properly include LG as being partnered with Phillips.

Panasonic is the largest seller of plasma panels, not in the running when it
comes to LCDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDD 55 View Post

I doubt Panasonic LCD's are everywhere. You are thinking of Plasmas. Panasonic does not sell a lot of LCD flat panels because the largest they make is a 32" panel. They have no 37/40/42/45/46/47/50 or 52 LCD panels.

Top selling does not equate to picture or build quality IMO.

That's it, you are sooooo right...
I was distracted.
Thank for correcting me!

Yeah I also think that best selling may not be related to quality. Not all people who buy HDTV come to this forum to make their choices more justified... And also, there is not only one thread like: THE BEST HDTV OWNERS THREAD ...

Thank you,
René
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1908 Old 11-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgiangenius View Post

You have a point. I've heard of many people returning SHARP LCDs....very few returning Toshiba.

I actually had to return a 42HL196 last Thursday, could not get the video to ever work, so my replacement one will be coming in this Friday 11/17. Hopefully this set was just one that got through, and the new one will work perfectly...
post #543 of 1908 Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 AM

Reply to VIM original post 11-8-06
I've had my 42hl196 for about a week. It's great, first I took home a samsung hls4666w dlp what a piece of crap, of course it was about one third cheaper, it was so bright the whole house lit up, and the blacks were so black, that there was no detail, for instance you could not see creases in pants, just the black outline of the shape. Anyway I want to reply about settingup 2 ANTENNAS IN THE TV GUIDE ON SCREEN. Yes it can be done, During the InSTALLATION of TVGOS, or After initial setup, Press the GUIDE key on the remote, then use the RIGHT arrow key to highlight Setup on the Menu Bar, then use the DOWN arrow key to highlight "Change system settings." Follow the on-screen prompts to enter new information.
Just press enter next to each choice, before you enter DONE when the screen asks you if you want ant 1 or ant 2. It worked for me, although all of the ANT 2 channels did not get picked up by TVGOS, some did, even some subchannels (ie 26-1 ) got listed right in numerical order blended into the same TVGOS screen. It's a nice feature because you can tune directly from the TVGOS screen to the channel you highlight and it picks out the correct antenna for it, it works seamlessly. TVGOS is the main reason I bought this set. I hope I have helped.
post #544 of 1908 Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSinc View Post

I have the 32HLV16 hooked up to a DTV HR10-250. 1st issue- I cannot get the HDMI cable to work at all. I have changes the output on the HR10 to all the setttins 480i -1080i and I still cant get any picture. 2nd issue- I have it hooked up via componant cables. Even through the componant cables if I change the HR10 out put from 480i I loose the picture. Whats up? I have read the manual and I read all the post in this section until page 11 and then I gave up. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I couldn't get my laptop's DVI-out to work with a DVI to HDMI cable.

Laptop doesn't even show another display is connected.
I will try again this weekend with a DVI out video card from an HTPC I am building.
post #545 of 1908 Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 AM

I'd be interested in hearing your results. Particularly in regards to the resolution you're able to achieve. Toshiba is not supporting anything higher that 1024x768, however, many have been able to push a higher res. At this point I don't know if they are choosing not to support anything higher due to potential display damage or that they simply don't want to support PC applications.
post #546 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 AM

I know that crosby1 has had this set calibrated by an ISF tech. I was wondering if anyone else has paid to have this done, as I am thinking about it, and wondering on the roi.

If you had ISF calibration done, did you first calibrate yourself with Avia or DVE? And if so how much difference?

How much do the black levels (really dark detail) improve.

Anything else of note really improve?

I have this set and am very satisfied with it after an Avia calibration, but am always looking for the ablsolute best of the best (within reason).
post #547 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 AM

I am currently on hold with Toshiba to see what they know about the banding issue/ ghost bar issue with the 42lx196's.

I was on hold for a very short time which was impressive. I spoke with two different people one being a supervisor and both told me they have not heard of this problem and I am the first one to call about it. I called them a couple of weeks ago and a rep told me that they are just started getting calls about it.

I give up I am defeated. Good bye Toshiba.

For those of you stuck with a Toshiba with ghost bars I suggest you call Toshiba and call Toshiba and if they tell you they have not heard of it tell them otherwise. I talked to Mike, a supervisor. Have them create a file about your report.

This web site will post any problems being reported about the Toshiba TVs:

www.tacp.com
go to customer support , then updates and notices.

Does anyone have any suggestions on another brand of 42 inch lcd 1080p?
post #548 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post

I'd be interested in hearing your results. Particularly in regards to the resolution you're able to achieve. Toshiba is not supporting anything higher that 1024x768, however, many have been able to push a higher res. At this point I don't know if they are choosing not to support anything higher due to potential display damage or that they simply don't want to support PC applications.

I think you were talking to me so I will reply.

I connected a new laptop from work using a DVI to HDMI cable and it looked brilliant.
It's a Dell D820 with a convenient max res of 1920X1080.

Looked nice and it display the entire image using HDMI input 2. I did have to adjust teh video signal from the laptop becuase it seems to miss some of the edges, but it was only about 20 pixels on each side.

The only thing is that I need to have the set professionally calibrated for the best image because I just don't know how.

I did get an AVIA DVD which is suppose to help but I need to play it in every input to calibrate it properly.

So using HDMI inputs I can confirm that resolutions of 1920x1080 are supported from a PC. I didn't doubt that, but I wanted to confirm it.

The VGA input is the one limited to 1024x768 which is so silly it's almost like they are playing a joke on us, yet I am not laughing.
post #549 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoologico View Post

The VGA input is the one limited to 1024x768 which is so silly it's almost like they are playing a joke on us, yet I am not laughing.

Does anyone have an Xbox 360 hooked up to an HL66 via VGA? Does this limitation mean it won't display properly? I wish M$ would just release a friggin' HDMI cable!
post #550 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post

Does anyone have an Xbox 360 hooked up to an HL66 via VGA? Does this limitation mean it won't display properly? I wish M$ would just release a friggin' HDMI cable!

hi...

I saw on the monoprice.com site, that there's VGA/DVI <-> COMPONENT cable... wouldn't that work?

just my .2¢
post #551 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Zoologico, thanks for the input. Nice to know max resolution can be obtained. It would be nice if VGA would support higher but on higher end video cards VGA is becoming a thing of the past.
post #552 of 1908 Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Zoologico, thanks for the input. Nice to know max resolution can be obtained. It would be nice if VGA would support higher but on higher end video cards VGA is becoming a thing of the past.

Glad I could help.
So does anyone know where I can find a local pro to come and tune the set?
Also, if I change the set's location within a room or move it to another house, will I have to get the settings calibrated all over again?
post #553 of 1908 Old 11-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Now here's a tough question for you all. Does anyone have the dimensions of the box for the 42HL196? Why? Here's the problem. I've had the set on order now for 2 weeks. Just received the call that it's in but they're next delivery spot isn't until Tuesday. I'd be there in a flash to pick it up but my truck's in the shop until, you guessed it, Tuesday. My other vehicle is a 35 year old VDub with surprisingly quite a bit of cargo room but I want to be sure I could get it in the door!

Second question. Any gotcha's to be careful of when transporting? Obviously it should be transported write side up ... anything else to watch?
post #554 of 1908 Old 11-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Now here's a tough question for you all. Does anyone have the dimensions of the box for the 42HL196? Why? Here's the problem. I've had the set on order now for 2 weeks. Just received the call that it's in but they're next delivery spot isn't until Tuesday. I'd be there in a flash to pick it up but my truck's in the shop until, you guessed it, Tuesday. My other vehicle is a 35 year old VDub with surprisingly quite a bit of cargo room but I want to be sure I could get it in the door!

Second question. Any gotcha's to be careful of when transporting? Obviously it should be transported write side up ... anything else to watch?

Here you go:

17.5x44x33 inches for the box

I picked it up in my BMW 528i and I had to take it out of the box and secure right side up in the back seat. First impression is that there is no way to fit it in your VDub with the box, but you'd know better than I would.

I had to fold the box up and put it in the trunk.

Good luck.
post #555 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 10:03 AM

Hey guys, I am from Canada and I have recently purchased the 32HL86 and after exchange it for a 32HL66. One thing that I found interesting is that even they both have the REGZA brand on them, only the 32HL66 is advertised as using Pixel Pure. Here are some other differences I manged to find from a functionality point of view:

32HL86 VS 32HL66

- No Dynamic Contrast on 32HL86
- Max VGA resolution XSVGA 1280 x 1024 vs 1024 x 768 on the 32HL66
- Backlight control (black uniformity) present only on the 32HL86
- Input Labels (on the 32hl86 you can type in the text vs choosing pre-formated labels)

Overall, 32HL66 has better image, crisper and the colors look much better. There is less color bleding when using SDTV. I loved the fact that the 32HL86 was able to display 1280 x 1024 but I remeber reading somewhere that is 1280 x 1024 compressed so it might not be that much better than 1024 x 768.
post #556 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulake View Post

Hey guys, I am from Canada and I have recently purchased the 32HL86 and after exchange it for a 32HL66. One thing that I found interesting is that even they both have the REGZA brand on them, only the 32HL66 is advertised as using Pixel Pure. Here are some other differences I manged to find from a functionality point of view:

32HL86 VS 32HL66

- Input Labels (on the 32hl86 you can type in the text vs choosing pre-formated labels)

Overall, 32HL66 has better image, crisper and the colors look much better. There is less color bleding when using SDTV. I loved the fact that the 32HL86 was able to display 1280 x 1024 but I remeber reading somewhere that is 1280 x 1024 compressed so it might not be that much better than 1024 x 768.

You forgot that the HL86 lacks game mode and standby mode. I compared the 2 side by side off the same HD source at futureshop and the pictures were IDENTICAL with the same settings. Turning on the Dynamic Contrast gave the HL66 deeper colours and better contrast.
post #557 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Hi guys,

Wow, you guys are nuts about research just like me in regard to lcd and electronic buys. Anyway, I have a question about the issue with the LX series not having a direct 1080P input (i know that the LZ does).

I have read that it doesn't have a direct 1080p input, therefore, it can't display 1080p. I don't see how that is possible, doesn't an HDMI cable make 1080p viewing possible from a 1080p source (such as a playstation 3?)

Additionally, I haven't recieved my LCD yet, can anyone post pictures of their LCD?

Thanks guys

-DMW
post #558 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I was very close to buying the Toshiba HL196 since an online retailer has this at a great price at the moment. However, the other thread says that the HL196 does not have a 1080P input and is not truly a 1080P set. Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?
post #559 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

I was very close to buying the Toshiba HL196 since an online retailer has this at a great price at the moment. However, the other thread says that the HL196 does not have a 1080P input and is not truly a 1080P set. Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?

Actually, I have been doing research on this as well. the LZ Pro Cinema series is able to accept 1080p input. From what I understand this is how it works....

Toshiba's Regza LCD's that boast that they are 1080p ARE actually 1080p---but that is simply b/c LCD's are inherently PROGRESSIVE in regards to scanning. They very rarely display INTERLACED pixels the way that CRT's or other monitors do. This of course is odd (still trying to understand this).

The information that comes into an LCD, PLASMA or a DLP is transferred as interlaced.... and it is then converted (ON ALL OF THEM) to Progressive. So, how would an 1080p input change this?

My assumption is that the 1080p HDMI inputs that the LZ pro cinema series LCD has bypasses the upscaler (interscaler, whatever the hell it is that changes the 1080i into 1080p) and simply displays the data.

Some how the image is converted to 1080p... I don't get how this is done at all. I don't see how a 1080i signal can be converted to 1080p... if someone can figure that out WE all would like to know.
post #560 of 1908 Old 11-18-2006, 09:04 PM

Actually, I just thought of this... the difference between a 1080i and 1080p is the fact that I deals with interlaced pixels to create and refresh images. P- Progressive does not, it's a single shot--- meaning that the pixels ALL display at one time.

My guess is this.... The Regza's can be 1080p simply by the fact that the TV has a converter that somehow deals with the interlaced images and converts them to progressive one (meaning instead of the time and processing power it takes to 'paint' the images with INTERLACED sources... it has a converter or something that handles this process and is able to do the one shot- progressive scanning....essentially making a 1080p possible.

The difference between the two is that the interlaced source doesn't keep up too well with fast moving images and it causes flicker (I don't know this, I haven't seen it in person... but that is what all of the webpages are saying about interlaced). Progressive is perfect- it does all of the pixels at one time instead of filling in ODD number pixels and then even numbered pixels (in the milliseconds it takes to do it). The only way that TOSHIBA could sell this tv as P is that the TV has a converter or something that changes I into P somehow.

So honestly, I don't think I am worried about not having an 1080P hdmi connection. The assumption is that the tv does show progressive, however, you must rely on the converter or whatever it has in it that changes it over to P... opposed to having a direct connection.
post #561 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Yeah, only the LZ serie is having a 1080p series. But they all up-convert the sources to an 1080p output. I guess that makes the HL and LX not "true" 1080p sets.

hope it helps you.
post #562 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPENN997 View Post

Some how the image is converted to 1080p... I don't get how this is done at all. I don't see how a 1080i signal can be converted to 1080p... if someone can figure that out WE all would like to know.

this process is called "de-interlaced" I think it takes the 1080i 60 and make it 1080p 30. The difference might be that if you have (lets say PS3 signal) 1080p 60, you will have direct output of the original signal "pixel for pixel". That is in part why I choose the LZ over the others. Also, there's more setting options on the LZ, as for the color control ColorMaster: You can individually adjust the hue, saturation, and color brightness for each of six different colors to set the picture just the way you like it.... and much more!

Also if you don't have an A/V reveiver for your sound system, this set have a really nice sound. It produces a "virtual surround", and has plenty of sound features like:

StableSound: When the signal source is changed, StableSound limits the highest volume level to prevent extreme changes in volume.

SRS WOW: WOW is a special combination of SRS Labs audio technologies that creates a surround sound experience with deep, rich bass from stereo sound sources, making the TV audio sound fuller, richer, and wider. WOW consists of these three features:

* SRS 3D: turns on/off the surround sound effect
* FOCUS: turns on/off the vocal emphasis effect
* TruBass: selects the desired bass expansion level (High, Low, or Off)

I have heard the HL in store, and I can imagine that the LZ would be terrific!

bye
post #563 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 07:11 AM

post #564 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
As of yesterday my 2 month search for a 1080p LCD is over, I purchased the 47LZ196. I was able to negotiate a great $ from a local highend B&M. I got it up and running but didn't have time to play with/tweak it too much. I do have the DVE calibration disc that I plan on using. My inputs are OTA antenna and a Pioneer HD cable box. The local stations display great, especially the HD ones. HD cable if fantastic. I'm one camper. Looking forward to watching some football today!
post #565 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Ok I lied I can't give up on Toshiba. After spending weeks looking at other brands all I can do is come back to the Toshibas. So I continue my quest to solve the ghost bar issue even though I said I was done. After comparing the specs of the LX and the LZ I am wondering if I might have better luck with the LZ. I stayed away from the LZ because I have not seen it in stores here and the shiny black kinda worries me due to the high light load in my room, the whole purpose of me going LCD otherwise I would go plasma for a cheaper alternative. Ok back to my question does anyone have the ghost bar issue with the LZ? How does the shiny black affect your TV watching in a high light load room? I am still weary because I can not get answers on the ghost bar issue on the LX so I do not know if the LZ is made differently enough that it would not have it on the LZ. As you can tell I am very low tech so any hints on what the LZ would have different than the Lx to affect ghost bars would be helpful.
post #566 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTZ View Post

As of yesterday my 2 month search for a 1080p LCD is over, I purchased the 47LZ196. I was able to negotiate a great $ from a local highend B&M. I got it up and running but didn't have time to play with/tweak it too much. I do have the DE calibration disc that I plan on using. My inputs are OTA antenna and a Pioneer HD cable box. The local SD stations display great, especially the HD ones. HD cable if fantastic. I'm one camper. Looking forward to watching some football today!

Hey GTZ, where are you from? Is B&M Breault & Martineau? I'm from near Montreal, I and wish I could have received my set for today's footbal!!! You are soooo lucky! If you are from Quebec, please tell me wich B&M you bought it from! Because mine is till on special order from B&M of St-Bruno, Qc.

I wish that the Alouettes win this game. I assisted the last game against the Argos in Montreal, and that was a hell of a match, I think one of the best for the Alouettes...

lucky you!

btw, I know about the Avia DVD, but what is the DE calibration disk you are refering to? thnx
post #567 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltazar_qc View Post

Hey GTZ, where are you from? Is B&M Breault & Martineau? I'm from near Montreal, I and wish I could have received my set for today's footbal!!! You are soooo lucky! If you are from Quebec, please tell me wich B&M you bought it from! Because mine is till on special order from B&M of St-Bruno, Qc.

I wish that the Alouettes win this game. I assisted the last game against the Argos in Montreal, and that was a hell of a match, I think one of the best for the Alouettes...

lucky you!

btw, I know about the Avia DVD, but what is the DE calibration disk you are refering to? thnx

I think by B&M, he or she meant brick and mortar (not a Web store).
I could be wrong though.
post #568 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM

So both of these don't support dot-dot 1366x768?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulake View Post

32HL86 VS 32HL66

post #569 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 AM

I have the 32HLV16 hooked up to a HR10-250. I cannot get the HDMI cable to work. I only get audio, no picture. Also when I change the output on my DVR to anything other than 480i I loose picture. What am I missing? PLEASE HELP. Thanks
post #570 of 1908 Old 11-19-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSinc View Post

I have the 32HLV16 hooked up to a HR10-250. I cannot get the HDMI cable to work. I only get audio, no picture. Also when I change the output on my DVR to anything other than 480i I loose picture. What am I missing? PLEASE HELP. Thanks

What kind of video output are you sending to the TV?
1080p will not work.
You must send 1080i and let the TV deinterlace to 1080p.

Can you change the type of output of that device?

I just realized that the 32XXXXX may have different input requirements than the 42XXXXX and above. You should still check the video input compatibility and make sure your device is within those parameters.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page