Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoologico View Post

Nice.
So this is your HTPC setup?
I can't tell if you were able to get the 1920x1080 native resolution support over the HDMI. Were you?

This is definitely my HTPC setup =)

1920x1080 "worked" but the edges were off the screen [extended about 3/4"] (that is, the picture was CENTERED, however it appears as though the viewable panel is 1768x992 -- because when I set the resolution to that, 1768x992, the picture extended corner to corner)

I didn't actually have any new games on the PC to play, so I went out and bought the Civilization Chronicles (Civ 1 + 2 [+mods!] + 3 [+mods!] + 4).. and on Windows XP Home with the latest (as of 2006-11-30) NVidia Drivers, the in-game resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080, which was a huge bummer because I can't play an RTS without seeing the entire screen!

Luckily I'm reading that in the CivilizationIV.ini file you can specify X and Y resolutions.. I quickly attempted 1176x664 this morning (720P adjusted for "smaller panel") and it didn't actually have any effect. Then I read that the game won't support X or Y's less than 1024x768.. which leads me to believe if I set the custom ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight to 1768x992 it will work as dreamy as possible =)

phew!

-- edit --

Now to go home from work and try that. C'mon 4PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1909 Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hENNIFER View Post

This is definitely my HTPC setup =)

1920x1080 "worked" but the edges were off the screen [extended about 3/4"] (that is, the picture was CENTERED, however it appears as though the viewable panel is 1768x992 -- because when I set the resolution to that, 1768x992, the picture extended corner to corner)

I didn't actually have any new games on the PC to play, so I went out and bought the Civilization Chronicles (Civ 1 + 2 [+mods!] + 3 [+mods!] + 4).. and on Windows XP Home with the latest (as of 2006-11-30) NVidia Drivers, the in-game resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1920x1080, which was a huge bummer because I can't play an RTS without seeing the entire screen!

Luckily I'm reading that in the CivilizationIV.ini file you can specify X and Y resolutions.. I quickly attempted 1176x664 this morning (720P adjusted for "smaller panel") and it didn't actually have any effect. Then I read that the game won't support X or Y's less than 1024x768.. which leads me to believe if I set the custom ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight to 1768x992 it will work as dreamy as possible =)

phew!

-- edit --

Now to go home from work and try that. C'mon 4PM!

Sounds so sweet.
You shoudl try to keep the 1920x1080.
IN my nVidia control panel I can realign the edges so they fit.

That's what I did with my Dell I mentioned above and that allowed me to keep the 1920x1080.
Enjoy your new system!
post #633 of 1909 Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:

It sounds to me like you're looking at overscan. Look back to post 326 where someone said changing to "native" mode solved the problem.
post #634 of 1909 Old 11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideScream View Post

It sounds to me like you're looking at overscan. Look back to post 326 where someone said changing to "native" mode solved the problem.

I was just writing to suggest that when your post showed up. With my Mac, I get perfect pixel-for-pixel resolution at 1920x1080 without any overscan when the TV is set to Native. If I use Natural, I lose the edges.
post #635 of 1909 Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideScream View Post

*slaps self in face*

I've never had anything hooked up via HDMI before so "5 NATIVE" has always been grayed out.. D'oh! Component cables only gave me 1-4 as options for "PIC SIZE"

Everything is looking fantastic and my outlook on PC gaming has never been better

Thanks so much! It's always something "so simple"..

I will ask however, why is it when I'm in 1280x720 it won't let me pick native?

shrugs =( Was hoping for a 'full'
post #636 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:

*slaps self in face*

I've never had anything hooked up via HDMI before so "5 NATIVE" has always been grayed out.. D'oh! Component cables only gave me 1-4 as options for "PIC SIZE"

Everything is looking fantastic and my outlook on PC gaming has never been better

shrugs =(

I think it makes sense.
The TV's native resolution is 1920x1080.
If you feed it 1280x720 it cannot "naturally" display it. It must apply some sort of stretching.
At least that's my interpretation.
post #637 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:

*slaps self in face*

shrugs =(

Hi, Native is only for signals of 1080i or 1080p. That's written in the user manual (the BIG one). I checked yesterday, because I wanted my component connected DVD to output Native. But my dvd signal is only 480i or 480p. So I picked FULL in the display mode of my 42LZ196.

I hope this helped you...
bye
post #638 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 AM

Hi everyone!

I wish I had read this thread before we got our new Toshiba 37" 37HL86. We got it just 2 days ago and the first night it was great. We are floored at how wicked the picture is.

Then last night after work I noticed that the "ghost bars" that have been brought up on this thread were there. Like many others they have appeared on the right hand side of the screen. One thicker vertical line and 2 slightly lighter ones. They were extremely noticeable on the screen against a white backdrop like a hockey rink. We adjusted the screen picture and moved it to the right and of course then they were gone. But for the price of this tv, this shouldn't be an issue and I'd like to have my programming centered (I mean it's not noticeable based on the +3 to the right but still...)

We also haven't received our HDTV box yet from our cable company so we're waiting to see how the picture looks with HDTV that before we do anything.

Has anyone figured out any way to resolve this?
Is it a setting issue?
Or do we have to lug this back to Best Buy and exchange it for another one?

thanks!
post #639 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks415 View Post

Hi everyone!

I wish I had read this thread before we got our new Toshiba 37" 37HL86. We got it just 2 days ago and the first night it was great. We are floored at how wicked the picture is.

Then last night after work I noticed that the "ghost bars" that have been brought up on this thread were there. Like many others they have appeared on the right hand side of the screen. One thicker vertical line and 2 slightly lighter ones. They were extremely noticeable on the screen against a white backdrop like a hockey rink. We adjusted the screen picture and moved it to the right and of course then they were gone. But for the price of this tv, this shouldn't be an issue and I'd like to have my programming centered (I mean it's not noticeable based on the +3 to the right but still...)

We also haven't received our HDTV box yet from our cable company so we're waiting to see how the picture looks with HDTV that before we do anything.

Has anyone figured out any way to resolve this?
Is it a setting issue?
Or do we have to lug this back to Best Buy and exchange it for another one?

thanks!

I have the exact same TV and have no ghost bar issues, however I've never watched analog cable on it, just digital. If the bars are still there when you get your digital cable box, then I'd exchange it for another one as I can confirm that there ARE ones that do not have this problem.
post #640 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM

slicecom Thanks for replying so quickly! We are also in Toronto and have the Rogers Digital Cable box already but we just don't have the HDTV box.

So if this is happening with the digital cable then it's probably a screen defect right?
post #641 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:

slicecom Thanks for replying so quickly! We are also in Toronto and have the Rogers Digital Cable box already but we just don't have the HDTV box.

So if this is happening with the digital cable then it's probably a screen defect right?

No problem! And yes, unfortunately I'd say it's probably a screen defect if that's the case.
post #642 of 1909 Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Could you or anyone seeing these bands take a picture and let us see them?
I don't think I have them but now I am really curious to see what they look like.
Thanks in advance.
post #643 of 1909 Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 PM

Does anyone have an idea of the power consumption for the 42LZ196 (on and in standby mode)? I've seen that other TVs vary greatly from 200 to 300 watts when on and .1 to 1 or more watts when off. I've searched everywhere and the stats for the 42LZ196 are always blank or **.

Also...any idea why this TV is so heavy compared to similar 42" sets? It weighs 25 pounds more than sets from other manufacturers.
post #644 of 1909 Old 12-02-2006, 10:28 PM

Based on my research, it looks like 26HL66's made by Toshiba and not Orion. Do you guys know by any chance if the same applies to 26HLV66, that's the one with DVD player built in? Thanks in advance.
post #645 of 1909 Old 12-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Well guys, I took the leap today and bought the 47LZ196 from a local Tweeter. I don't think we're supposed to discuss pricing, but let's just say that it was about $750 under MSRP. Interestingly, I think that Tweeter is phasing out the Toshibas. All of their LCD models were marked "sell stock and no reorder" (or something like that) on the price sheet. The sales guy wasn't much use. Anyway, I would have been happy with the 42LZ196, but couldn't pass up this deal on the 47. Unfortunately, I'm not having it delivered until Saturday when I'll be home to receive it and get it set up (we're still painting the den). I'll give you an update once I get it set up. Woohoo!
post #646 of 1909 Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 PM

I just ordered one from Tweeter too; should pick it up tomorrow (Monday). I also didn't get much help from sales - same issue with phasing out Toshiba models. I hope I like it!
post #647 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 07:22 AM

I also noticed that when using natural, the sides of the screen are cut off when playing the xbox 360 and the ps3. I have 2 questions. Is it possible to have native mode always be the default when using a 1080i input? Also, since the screen displays everything in 1080p, it native mode being displayed as 1080i or 1080p? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
post #648 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth1983 View Post

I have 2 questions. Is it possible to have native mode always be the default when using a 1080i input? Also, since the screen displays everything in 1080p, it native mode being displayed as 1080i or 1080p? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Turn off "Auto Aspect Ratio" in the Picture menu. (Maybe it is under Advanced Settings?) That should keep it from reverting back to Natural.

The TV ALWAYS displays in 1080p. Any source you feed it will be upscaled, upsampled, and/or deinterlaced as necessary to be displayed at 1080p.
post #649 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 AM

Thanks a lot. I actually mapped a button on the harmony remote to change the aspect ratio when playing video games but now I don't have to worry about that anymore. I always wondered what that auto ratio was for. Again, thanks for your help!
post #650 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM

Well, so it took me like 3 days to read through this whole thread! yikes!

anyway, I'm still having problems with my 42HL196...

I have a digital receiver from Rogers, but the SD channels look terrible. Almost unbearable. ok, pretty much unbearable.. I dont' know how much more I can take!

I tried a bunch of different settings that were posted here, but I haven't found any settings that I liked.. my picture is still miserable and "grainy". (Especially dark pictures).

I'm trying to fiddle with it but can't seem to get it right.. any ideas on some setting that I might try altering?

Also, I notice that some of the images have "artifacting". It's like when you turn a .bmp in to a .jpg, and you have those shifts in the screen. I may and try to post a picture later.

And a couple of other questions...

1) Is it wise to skip the Rogers receiver and connect it directly to my ANT1 connection? I Hate the rogers channel listing.. and my box is horribly slow.

2) I tried hooking up a 50db gain antenna to my set.. I barely get 2 channels and they always cut out. I'm in a spot where the signals should be almost over-saturated. I tried disabling the gain but the same problem still exists. I should be able to receive about 11 channels in the area I'm in. Any one else had problems with their antenna reception that was solved?

3) I need an "upconverting" DVD player to replace my aging Sony DVPNS315 It doesn't do any sort of high-def and it's standard 480i. Is there a "Top 3" upconverting DVD players that would look great on my new LCD? I tried the sony.. I'm not a big fan of how it looks.

Thanks for any help!
post #651 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 09:44 AM

Browsed thru the whole thread but found no sufficient feedback on the 37HLC56. Has someone tried this and comment on it? Any issues?
post #652 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post

Well, so it took me like 3 days to read through this whole thread! yikes!

anyway, I'm still having problems with my 42HL196...

I have a digital receiver from Rogers, but the SD channels look terrible. Almost unbearable. ok, pretty much unbearable.. I dont' know how much more I can take!

I tried a bunch of different settings that were posted here, but I haven't found any settings that I liked.. my picture is still miserable and "grainy". (Especially dark pictures).

I'm trying to fiddle with it but can't seem to get it right.. any ideas on some setting that I might try altering?

Also, I notice that some of the images have "artifacting". It's like when you turn a .bmp in to a .jpg, and you have those shifts in the screen. I may and try to post a picture later.

And a couple of other questions...

1) Is it wise to skip the Rogers receiver and connect it directly to my ANT1 connection? I Hate the rogers channel listing.. and my box is horribly slow.

2) I tried hooking up a 50db gain antenna to my set.. I barely get 2 channels and they always cut out. I'm in a spot where the signals should be almost over-saturated. I tried disabling the gain but the same problem still exists. I should be able to receive about 11 channels in the area I'm in. Any one else had problems with their antenna reception that was solved?

3) I need an "upconverting" DVD player to replace my aging Sony DVPNS315 It doesn't do any sort of high-def and it's standard 480i. Is there a "Top 3" upconverting DVD players that would look great on my new LCD? I tried the sony.. I'm not a big fan of how it looks.

Thanks for any help!

Gongrats on your purchase and research on this forum. I have learned alot from this site. I purchased my 42HL196 a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at the pic quality when I got home. It did not compare to the quality displayed at Sears on their HD DVD player loop they were running.

I am running a Digital Dish DVR and the pic was nothing special. I am not ready to spend the $200 needed to upgrade to Dish HD DVR or spend the extra money for HD programing they want. So this is what I did.
I put a channel master antenna in the attic. I didn't need the preamp I had already purchased. It is unlikely that you will get all the channels or you will only have limited signal strenth with an indoor antenna. I can get all the OTA channels in HD and the pic looks great! So at least I know there's nothing wrong with the TV. Now when my dish contract is up I will switch either to cable or direct tv to get the free HD equipment and a better price for HD programming than is offered by dish.
post #653 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby1 View Post

try this one: it's extremely high quality and the video is superb.

OPPO DV-970HD

they have it on amazon for around $149.00

Yes, I started researching the ones on the other forum. I'm either going to get the OPPO DV-971HD or the one released just last week 981 (?) (I'd prefer black).

Crosby, were a great number of changes made to your service menu options by the technician? Any chance that you have those documented?
post #654 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM

hey guys, as it turns out I will not be joining the ranks of you Toshiba Regza LCD owners. I cancelled my order after many issues that the company did not have, but its shipping VENDOR. My package was ordered and sent out to the correct address, however, the vendor that the company used to ship my 42inch Regza LX absolutely screwed up for nearly a week and a half now and still can't find my tv. The lost it in michigan (at a sort facility) and it ended up in Colorado (I'm in AZ... so it's not that damn far away).... and that's the last they know of it. They promised to have it by friday or today (not including the weekend, apparrently they don't work on the weekend)-- and then today told me that they should have it by this thursday.

I don't think that I am out of line by cancelling my order (even if the 100 dollar shipping fee was offered back to me). The tv should have been here last TUESDAY and truly then, last MONDAY. I am very disappointed (seeing as how I have a playstation 3 with like 5 games and 3 movies and have yet to even hook it up to what I thought would be a great tv).

Once my refund is processed I intend to order a different tv from a different store---Right now it's looking like a 46 Inch Samsung LN-S4695D 46-IN LCD.

Some of the issues I had with the Regza (before even getting it) was the sorta flaky advertising saying that it was 1080p (when it IS technically 1080p) however, only accepts 1080i signals. That was pretty disappointing. Additionally, the computer input issues .. one would have to have a hdmi to dvi cord to take full advantage of the tv, opposed to using its VERY own RGB computer input. The input would only go up to 1080 x 768--- I never understood why.

To me the biggest killer was the only 1080i input. This tv is expensive enough to have an 1080p input STANDARD.... so that coupled with the absolutely ****** shipping company made me cancel my order and look elsewhere.

I think if this board has a samsung portion, I will migrate over there to see what the deal is on that particular flat panel.
post #655 of 1909 Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

was the sorta flaky advertising saying that it was 1080p (when it IS technically 1080p) however, only accepts 1080i signals.

Quote:

To me the biggest killer was the only 1080i input. This tv is expensive enough to have an 1080p input STANDARD....

Have you researched the difference between a 1080p/60 input and a 1080i/60 input?
If you haven't, I recommend you do so. Th Vast majority of educated buyers realize that there is no difference...
post #656 of 1909 Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 AM

I did research it actually, quit extensively. I and P--- I stands for interlaced ( the pixels fill in odd and then even on the screen at 1080 resolution). P- Progressive, it's a single straight shot --- the entire screen gets the picture at one time without any issues.

LCD's and DLP's have a processor that is supposed to take care of this process (accepting a 1080i signal and turning into progressive, as dlp's and flat panels are naturally progressive in nature).

Essentially, THERE IS some loss (probably so small that I could never see it) but some loss of picture quality as the set's processor converts the image to a progressive.
post #657 of 1909 Old 12-05-2006, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPENN997 View Post

I did research it actually, quit extensively. I and P--- I stands for interlaced ( the pixels fill in odd and then even on the screen at 1080 resolution). P- Progressive, it's a single straight shot --- the entire screen gets the picture at one time without any issues.

LCD's and DLP's have a processor that is supposed to take care of this process (accepting a 1080i signal and turning into progressive, as dlp's and flat panels are naturally progressive in nature).

Essentially, THERE IS some loss (probably so small that I could never see it) but some loss of picture quality as the set's processor converts the image to a progressive.

This whole 1080i/p argument is stupid. If the TV has a good de-interlacer (and all the non-cheapo brands do), then your eye won't see any difference whatsoever. Your eye cannot discern video faster than 30fps. When a 1080i signal gets de-interlaced, that's what you get: 1080p at 30fps, as opposed to what everyone calls 1080p: 1080p at 60fps. Picture quality does not change. The only advantage to a "1080p" HDTV is that it can accept that signal, so it might be somewhat future-proofed, but I would imagine any source that will output 1080p will also output 1080i for the forseeable future.
post #658 of 1909 Old 12-05-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPENN997 View Post

How many pixels are in a 1920 x 1080 progressive image (1080p)?
Answer: 2, 073,600
How many pixels are in a 1920 x 1080 interlaced image (1080i)?
Answer: 2,073,600

The resolution is the same. The only difference is whether the signal is sent progressively, meaning one whole frame at a time, and displayed by the set as is or, if the signal is sent interlaced, meaning each frame sent 1/2 frame at a time, then deinterlaced (or re-assembled) by the display device. No loss in Picture quality.

I'd like to recommend to all that they read the November 2006 issue of Home Theater Magazine, as the article on page 34 ..it explains it all vey well

This will differ with sets that can accept and display NATIVE 1080p/24 information for HD DVD/blu-ray...more coming in 2007

None of this matters AT ALL with regards to broadcast, of course, which is 1080i or 720p...
post #659 of 1909 Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

How many pixels are in a 1920 x 1080 progressive image (1080p)?
Answer: 2, 073,600
How many pixels are in a 1920 x 1080 interlaced image (1080i)?
Answer: 2,073,600

The resolution is the same. The only difference is whether the signal is sent progressively, meaning one whole frame at a time, and displayed by the set as is or, if the signal is sent interlaced, meaning each frame sent 1/2 frame at a time, then deinterlaced (or re-assembled) by the display device. No loss in Picture quality.

I'd like to recommend to all that they read the November 2006 issue of Home Theater Magazine, as the article on page 34 ..it explains it all vey well

This will differ with sets that can accept and display NATIVE 1080p/24 information for HD DVD/blu-ray...more coming in 2007

None of this matters AT ALL with regards to broadcast, of course, which is 1080i or 720p...

Any chance we could find that online?

Also, anyone get pics of the ghosting bands?
post #660 of 1909 Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoologico View Post

Any chance we could find that online?

Also, anyone get pics of the ghosting bands?

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/1106gear/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page