The OFFICIAL 2006 Toshiba REGZA LCD HDTV Thread... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1912 Old 12-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally after 3 weeks I've received my replacement 42hl196. The first one was DOA. This one works! Got all the QAM local digital channels on basic cable. OTA looks fine too, with all DC and Baltimore stations available using an indoor silver star antenna. Need to do some AVIA calibration and take some grey scale measurements to see how far off things are. But for the moment it's nice to have a working one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1912 Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I don't know if this has been asked, this thread is growing steadily. The set has 2 RF connections, what are they all about, for instance I have analog cable with the HD locals in QAM, would the coax connection from the cable company only have to be connected to one of the RF connections and allow regular analog 2-99 plus the QAM, or would you need a splitter to get analog 2-99 on one tuner and QAM on the other?
post #723 of 1912 Old 12-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I don't know if this has been asked, this thread is growing steadily. The set has 2 RF connections, what are they all about, for instance I have analog cable with the HD locals in QAM, would the coax connection from the cable company only have to be connected to one of the RF connections and allow regular analog 2-99 plus the QAM, or would you need a splitter to get analog 2-99 on one tuner and QAM on the other?

Each input has the same capablity (OTA or cable). For your case you only need to use one input to see all the analog cable channels as well as any digital channels on the lower analog band.

Other digitals channels in your area that are not on the cable system can be gotten using the second rf input and an antenna.
post #724 of 1912 Old 12-16-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfarr View Post

Each input has the same capablity (OTA or cable). For your case you only need to use one input to see all the analog cable channels as well as any digital channels on the lower analog band.

Other digitals channels in your area that are not on the cable system can be gotten using the second rf input and an antenna.

Thanks, I just ordered one a few minutes ago.
post #725 of 1912 Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 AM

i'm interested in using a 32HLC56 with a PC outputting 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ratio) thru a DVI-to-HDMI cable. i'd like 1:1 pixel mapping, with no scaling, displaying 1024x768 in the center of the screen, with black areas to the right and left. i assume this is what "native mode" does. is that right?

i also want the lowest possible latency for gaming, so i assume i need to enable "game mode".

i would also like to run audio from the PC's headphone output to an analog input on the 32HLC56, while the video is going thru HDMI.

can anyone confirm whether or not this would all work on the 32HLC56?
post #726 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCarver View Post

i'm interested in using a 32HLC56 with a PC outputting 1024x768 (4:3 aspect ratio) thru a DVI-to-HDMI cable. i'd like 1:1 pixel mapping, with no scaling, displaying 1024x768 in the center of the screen, with black areas to the right and left. i assume this is what "native mode" does. is that right?

i also want the lowest possible latency for gaming, so i assume i need to enable "game mode".

i would also like to run audio from the PC's headphone output to an analog input on the 32HLC56, while the video is going thru HDMI.

"Native mode" is only a function of their 1080p sets, not their 720p sets. It's designed to eliminate overscan, via HDMI, from 1920 x 1080 signals.

This is not a feature of the custom series sets
post #727 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 AM

We bought the REGZA 32HLV16 (built in DVD player) at Costco. Unfortunately, it was a bad experience. It was the nicest looking and most well thought out design of all brands - a very enjoyable tv watching experience that I will miss.

After watching about a dozen DVD's on it, the last one froze while playing. It would no longer read any disc. This set was manufactured in July 2006. We loved the tv so much that we exchanged it for another one at Costco. The second one, which was manufactured in November 2006, was crooked. It was 3/8" higher on the right than the left. If they can't even make the tv level, I'm not confident that the DVD player would have lasted long in this one either.

I exchanged the second one for a Panasonic TC-32LE60. No offense, but I like the Panasonic picture so much more (after calibration) that I'm glad the Toshibas were defective.

So there you go. My input on the REGZA. Thanks for all the great information in this thread.
post #728 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 11:42 AM

I own that model, but I have not used the VGA input yet. I do have an Xbox hooked up to it thru component, however, and can say that there are no issues with latency at 480p and 720p. "game mode" I believe, does not change latency, but simply turns the TV off after a specificed amount of time to prevent kids from playing too much. If I get a chance I'll hook up my Macbook to the VGA out to see what it looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCarver View Post

post #729 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I'm finally getting around to mounting my 42" but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the stand.

HELP!!!!
post #730 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouie View Post

Hey guys,
I'm finally getting around to mounting my 42" but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the stand.

HELP!!!!

4 or 5 screws going straight in the back, the stand slides out the bottom. Very simple once you figure it out...
post #731 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Heyas, I was wondering if anyone could post some pics of the HL66 or HLV66 in SD and HD.
post #732 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 04:04 PM

I finally got my new 47LZ196 set up on Saturday, and I think it may be suffering from the dreaded ghost bars. I read back through this forum, and it sounds like there are a couple of different definitions for ghost bars. What I'm experiencing is about 4 or 5 inches of brighter picture on either side, and a line straight down the middle where it looks like the brightness is slightly different between the two halves. As others have described, it's mostly visible on lighter backgrounds during movement. A good example is a show on Discovery HD with lots of sky footage (skydiving). I spotted it right away, and it drives me up the wall.

So does anyone else agree that this sounds like ghost bars, or is this something else? Either way, I guess I'll be calling Tweeter pretty quick...

By the way, it's definitely not my cable box. I experience the problem using a digital cable box over DVI-to-HDMI as well as from my old DVD player over component cables. I've also tried playing around with the backlight, but this problem is always visible. Any suggestions?
post #733 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

"Native mode" is only a function of their 1080p sets, not their 720p sets. It's designed to eliminate overscan, via HDMI, from 1920 x 1080 signals.

This is not a feature of the custom series sets

thanks for the info.

i take it this means that there is no way to get 1:1 pixel mapping, with no scaling, thru the HDMI port at 1024x768 on a 32HLC56.

is that correct?
post #734 of 1912 Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM

it appears, I too, have the dreaded ghost bars. I noticed them while watching "March of the penguins" on an Oppo 981. I then changed the source to another HDMI, and Component from my xbox 360. The ghost bars, 3 inches of brighter picture from each side of the tv, were visible from all 3 inputs. I'm going to call the store tomorrow and see what i can do. I purchased the set on Nov. 28th. Sigh.

I will post a picture tomorrow, if anyone wants, so that othes might see what they look like.
post #735 of 1912 Old 12-18-2006, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildano View Post

I finally got my new 47LZ196 set up on Saturday, and I think it may be suffering from the dreaded ghost bars. I read back through this forum, and it sounds like there are a couple of different definitions for ghost bars. What I'm experiencing is about 4 or 5 inches of brighter picture on either side, and a line straight down the middle where it looks like the brightness is slightly different between the two halves. As others have described, it's mostly visible on lighter backgrounds during movement. A good example is a show on Discovery HD with lots of sky footage (skydiving). I spotted it right away, and it drives me up the wall.

So does anyone else agree that this sounds like ghost bars, or is this something else? Either way, I guess I'll be calling Tweeter pretty quick...

By the way, it's definitely not my cable box. I experience the problem using a digital cable box over DVI-to-HDMI as well as from my old DVD player over component cables. I've also tried playing around with the backlight, but this problem is always visible. Any suggestions?

I think we need to return our sets and go Samsung or other...
post #736 of 1912 Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstolze View Post

4 or 5 screws going straight in the back, the stand slides out the bottom. Very simple once you figure it out...

Thanks!
Found four of them, 2 on either side and just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off!

By the way, tv looks great mounted. Took 3 hours of playing in the attic to pull all of the cable but well worth it. Only problem I have is with the mount itself. The bracket on the wall is 100% level but there must be a slight difference in the mounting hardware attached to the tv as one side is slightly than the other. Drives me up the wall. I'll have to figure something out!
post #737 of 1912 Old 12-18-2006, 10:24 AM

I've had my 42lx196 for a few days now. Overall, I am happy with the TV. The internal scaler does a very nice job with SD. The limited VGA isn't much of an issue since DVI->HDMI seems to be working well for me. The only negative I really have about this TV is, of course, the "ghost bars". I noticed them right away on the SD DTivo channels. There are three bars. On the right, left, and a thinner bar down the center. They are harder to see on HD channels, but are definitely there. I can't see them(but they may be there) on screens generated by the TV(such as the TV Guide).

When the service tech came out, he said Toshiba had narrowed the problem down to two possible parts. They are going to replace both parts to be certain they correct the problem. He said the parts are back-ordered (imagine that) and it will be about two weeks before they can get them in. Hopefully I'll be able to provide more specific information about the parts then.
LL
post #738 of 1912 Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Interesting picture. What are you displaying? Thats the first picture I've seen that clearly shows the problem.
post #739 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Hot Sauce View Post

When the service tech came out, he said Toshiba had narrowed the problem down to two possible parts. They are going to replace both parts to be certain they correct the problem. He said the parts are back-ordered (imagine that) and it will be about two weeks before they can get them in. Hopefully I'll be able to provide more specific information about the parts then.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the problem could be fixed but now you gave me some hope. I guess it's time to give Toshiba a call.
post #740 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

My 42lh196 does not appear to have any ghost image issues. I'm thankful for that.
post #741 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 AM

I did a lot of research before buying 2 42LX196 sets. I wanted one for my living room and bedroom. I had narrowed down my search to the Sony 40 inch 2500 series, The Sharp Aquos 4262u and the Regza 42LX196. First off I do alot of research but in my eyes have to take forums with a grain of salt. Usually people who are happy never post and you just hear from the people with issues the real percentage of owners with problems is never known. Example is a friend who owns the sharp 4262u, He loves it and has no banding issues with it. One day it would be nice to have figures on what percentage of a model is actually returned or in need of service.

Now for me. Not wanting to be a copycat and buying th Aquos I decided on the Regza 42LX196,( the sony 40 inch 2500 series was 400 dollars more and I couldn't see the added money for a smaller screen). I paid [EDIT] for the Regza and my only complaint was waiting a month for my local PC Richards to get them in. I took delivery on 12/4 and I couldn't be happier. The picture on SD is among the best I saw in my running from store to store ( and I would have the store switch to standard cable when viewing the tv's, not the HD loop) and the Hi-Def is beyond description. Either I'm not as critical as others or it isn't there but I have no ghosting or any issues with the set at all. I didn't need to adjust it as it's playing just as it came from the box. I can only imagine if it was professionally calibrated how super it would look. Just wanted to add that probably like all sets that there are good and bad and those who own them who you can never make happy. As for the issue with 1080i versus 1080p I've seen them both and unless your right on top of the set I couldn't see the difference, so to me it's not an issue.

In my opinion the Regza 42LX196 is a super set that I'm sure anyone would be pleased with.
Just for the record I use the standard coaxil cable for sd viewing and the 3 wire composite for Hi-Def, on Hi-Def the audio is from my receiver.
post #742 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias26 View Post

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the problem could be fixed but now you gave me some hope. I guess it's time to give Toshiba a call.

i had a best buy tech over on friday to replace the digital board (?) in the tv. after about 6 million screws were taken out, the new part was put in and wouldnt you know it...the ghostbars were still there. they now want to replace the screen. im kind of freaked out by that but at this point, i have no choice. if this doesnt work, they claim that they'll replace the set. im not sure why this just dont do it now considering its only been out of the store for just under three months. this experience has been a nightmare. ive taken multiple days off of work, been lied to, completely ignored by a "licensed toshiba repair shop" and dicked around by toishiba customer service. for anybody reading this with the ghostbar issue, if you're still able to, return the tv as fast as you can. they, toshiba, have no idea what they're talking about or doing. they just keep reaching for straws, hoping something will finally work.
post #743 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM

I'm going to have mine replaced.. if I still see them, I'm getting a Samsung.
post #744 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 05:55 PM

JohnRocker60, you must be one hell of a negotiator. I couldn't do that well at PC Richards (42HL196) and ended up at Amazon (where the price has gone up since I bought).

I have to back you up that SD picture nearly as amazing as HD. I have no ghost bars and even watched hockey for the first time in 10 years to confirm. I accidentally watched "Finding Nemo" in HD this weekend because I just couldn't walk away.
post #745 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Can anyone help me out, I notice little black lines running through the white print
on subtitles, most notably on Criterion discs, any reason why?

I have the 32HL86.

thx
post #746 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideScream View Post

JohnRocker60, you must be one hell of a negotiator. I couldn't do that well at PC Richards (42HL196) and ended up at Amazon (where the price has gone up since I bought).

I have to back you up that SD picture nearly as amazing as HD. I have no ghost bars and even watched hockey for the first time in 10 years to confirm. I accidentally watched "Finding Nemo" in HD this weekend because I just couldn't walk away.

I have a salesman that I've bought appliances and other items from over the last few years, so when I need anything he gives me rock bottom prices. PC Richards always lists what other people who have bought the item your looking at and at what price they paid. If you follow the saleman to the screen when he checks how low he can go you'll see the price others have paid.

I did the same thing I watched a hockey game an air show and just about any other video I could find just to see and everything was flawless. Believe me when I say the SD on this set is second to none. I sold my neighbor on buying 1 this week he couldn't believe how super the picture was.
post #747 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 PM

Toshiba lcd are crap, dont buy their lcd if you like black and grey details. Black is green all the time.

Toshiba regza lcd is the first year toshiba manifactured its own lcd, so all lcd are crap exept their true hd 1080 panel. Last year models, panels were made by Sharp or LG and were better. Ex: Toshiba 37HLX and 37HL respectively.

wait until they update their quality.

Picture pure bit processor is good, colors are ok but contrast, black and grey gradation are a nightmare.

Dont even think HL86 models beeing a bargain..they are not and no processor inside mean very bad DVD picture quality.
post #748 of 1912 Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piquit View Post

Toshiba lcd are crap, dont buy their lcd if you like black and grey details. Black is green all the time.

Toshiba regza lcd is the first year toshiba manifactured its own lcd, so all lcd are crap exept their true hd 1080 panel. Last year models, panels were made by Sharp or LG and were better. Ex: Toshiba 37HLX and 37HL respectively.

Picture pure bit processor is good, colors are ok but contrast, black and grey gradation are a nightmare.

Dont even think HL86 models beeing a bargain..they are not and no processor inside mean very bad DVD picture quality.

I watched The new Posiedon Adventure last night on my 42lx196 and the picture was flawless, the blacks were black. Maybe the set you have needs to be adjusted.
post #749 of 1912 Old 12-20-2006, 05:18 AM

Sounds like a flame bait post to me- the 32hl66 was the top 32 inch panel in consumer reports, and I trust them more than a guy who is trying to say crap as much as possible in a post on an internet board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piquit View Post

post #750 of 1912 Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I own the 26HL66 and love it!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page