Official Sony 40",46",52" XBR2, XBR3 Lcd'S NO PRICE TALK! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 7819 Old 06-16-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MUGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
you have a lot to choose from when adjusting the colors on this tv, i'm still fine tuning my tv and i've had it for over a year now
MUGEN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 7819 Old 06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
RayPaganJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBR3, what a great looking set. Love the floating glass design, but I'm still going for the 60xbr2. Can't have anything smaller than a 60 because I will be replacing my 52", and I probably won't be able to afford the 70xbr2. But those who have seen the 70" are reporting back unfavorable PQ. Hope it's not so.
RayPaganJr is offline  
post #183 of 7819 Old 06-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
peterlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There have been several posts that refer to a Sony 52" LCD releasing in the fall. First, I wasn't even aware that there an LCD plant existed that made panels in that size. In fact, a Wall Street Journal article from two weeks ago discussed that many LCD manufacturers that had announced their intention to build next-gen plants to make LCDs bigger than 50" had begun to hedge by so far failing to release any concrete plans for these facilities. This includes the joint Sony-Samsung venture. The full article is at

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readm...msgid=22524598

Putting aside this matter, a 52" LCD in the fall would be great but in light of the fact that the 40" and 46" XBR2 and XBR3 have been announced three months ahead of their release month - September 2006 - is it really credible to think that Sony would drop another set into the fall timeframe when such a set has not yet been publicized at all? To do so at this stage would mean Sony would have a much more compressed time period between announcing the 52" set and selling it. Or is it possible that Sony could start selling this set in winter, Oct/Nov/Dec? Does Sony typically release new TV models that late in the year?
peterlee is offline  
post #184 of 7819 Old 06-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
peterlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen View Post

Here are some more pictures off of a UK forum of their version. Apparently it's been calibrated but the colors don't look very good to me, especially the skin tones. One guy looks outright orange ! I'm hoping it's just the camera this guy is using.

link

I don't think the set's the problem. I read more of the thread you posted and the British owners and viewers of the set rave about it, calling it the best LCD available and equal or better to many plasma, even for black level. Now I want to see this set even more.
peterlee is offline  
post #185 of 7819 Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
CaseCom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

There have been several posts that refer to a Sony 52" LCD releasing in the fall. First, I wasn't even aware that there an LCD plant existed that made panels in that size. In fact, a Wall Street Journal article from two weeks ago discussed that many LCD manufacturers that had announced their intention to build next-gen plants to make LCDs bigger than 50" had begun to hedge by so far failing to release any concrete plans for these facilities. This includes the joint Sony-Samsung venture. The full article is at

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readm...msgid=22524598

Putting aside this matter, a 52" LCD in the fall would be great but in light of the fact that the 40" and 46" XBR2 and XBR3 have been announced three months ahead of their release month - September 2006 - is it really credible to think that Sony would drop another set into the fall timeframe when such a set has not yet been publicized at all? To do so at this stage would mean Sony would have a much more compressed time period between announcing the 52" set and selling it. Or is it possible that Sony could start selling this set in winter, Oct/Nov/Dec? Does Sony typically release new TV models that late in the year?

I agree. We won't see a 52" LCD from Sony until fall 2007 at the earliest.

If you want one before that, better look at Sharp. Their 8th-gen plant comes online this year. Mike53 has all but confirmed there will be a 52" Aquos this fall.
CaseCom is offline  
post #186 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MUGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
a 52" is set for fall for US and europe, also samsung has a 52" in the works and already has a 57" on the market.
MUGEN is offline  
post #187 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Member
 
thrasher8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

a 52" is set for fall for US and europe, also samsung has a 52" in the works and already has a 57" on the market.

Fall 2006 or 2007? For US...Thanks!
thrasher8 is offline  
post #188 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Member
 
tangent1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More pics from the Sony X-Series thread at avforums:
(clickable links)

HD source:






SD source:



tangent1138 is offline  
post #189 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Member
 
tangent1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV unboxed + remote:







tangent1138 is offline  
post #190 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
falser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post


The TV is doing a striptease for us. Take it off baby!
falser is offline  
post #191 of 7819 Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

To do so at this stage would mean Sony would have a much more compressed time period between announcing the 52" set and selling it. Or is it possible that Sony could start selling this set in winter, Oct/Nov/Dec? Does Sony typically release new TV models that late in the year?

That is the least of Sony's worries as they are able to sell every LCD they build the fact is Sony builds ZERO Glass - Samsung is their supplier and they cannot get enough panels and is seeking an additional partner to expand capacity that doesn't exist to fill demand. Samsung has just released it's 57" 1080P at half of what the Sharp sells for and Samsung has a 52" planned to match Sharp's plans in the fall. If Sony doesn't go bigger it'll be because Samsung is keeping the glass for itself.

While they share in some 5,000 patents mutually and they both are obviously benefitting Samsung has more control over it's destiny in LCD as does Sharp as they both have production capacity they've been expanding for years while Sony sat on the sidelines giving up that market to Sharp and others until the past year.

Fact is Sony cannot get enough quality production to fill demand and it's not something you can create in the short term, it takes years - this scenario will occur when SED comes along - sure they'll sell like hotcakes but production capacity is unlikely to meet worldwide demand and does anyone think the price will dip very low when supply doesn't meet demand? Precisely why often you'll see BB sell Sony LCD's for above MSRP.

The last thing Sony has to worry about is marketing when supply cannot meet demand with LCD FP's anyways. If Sharp and Samsung are the only ones producing 52" and 57" LCD's where does anyone think Sony will produce such a glass if they have no production facility? Samsung is control of that pretty much.

I own two Sharps and a Sony and the Sony is a great panel but the new Samsungs are pretty amazing themselves and waiting for the 57" to arrive locally to upgrade from my Sharp 45". Typically Sony has followed Samsung with similar panel line shortly afterwards but whether Samsung is willing to make the glass available in these larger sizes no one knows at this point.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #192 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Newbie
 
jaybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am leaning toward purchasing the Sony 40" Bravia 2000 series. But, want to know what the XBR series has that makes it several hundred dollars better? Please help!
jaybradley is offline  
post #193 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Member
 
torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by falser View Post

The TV is doing a striptease for us. Take it off baby!

I prefer her in black or navy blue bra .
torch is offline  
post #194 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Nightwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might I ask a question where these new Sony's are concerned? Doesn't the fact that there's an extra hunk of glass over the screen sort of defeat the whole purpose of LCD technology in the first place? Unless it's some kind of anti-reflection glass (if there even is such a thing), any light that hits those Sonys will reflect off the screen and you'll have the same glare problem as with regular CRTs and Plasmas. I don't know if it's just to make the monitors look sleeker, but copying the Syntax Olevia 42" set (with that ugly hunk of glass over the LCD monitor) is not a good idea if you're making new LCD flat panels. I could do without that piece of glass over those monitors. Unless they can be removed? Honestly, even though Sony does have a superior PQ, I think the markup on their units is ludicrous.

Though I do like the KDL series, only I hear the XBR line is better.
Nightwolf is offline  
post #195 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MUGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher8 View Post

Fall 2006 or 2007? For US...Thanks!

2006

the glass does not cover the screen like some older sony tv's, it only goes around the tv's bezel.

also the table top stand does come with the tv and is already installed on the tv in the box.
MUGEN is offline  
post #196 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
dicey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I own two Sharps and a Sony and the Sony is a great panel but the new Samsungs are pretty amazing themselves and waiting for the 57" to arrive locally to upgrade from my Sharp 45".

Don't get you hopes up too high. I set up a Samsung 57 and it had a very high black level which made it look like a gaint 1st-gen LCD. Yuck.

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
dicey is offline  
post #197 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Newbie
 
Nahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of mine in Japan told me that he'd heard from a friend of his that the "Wide Color Gamut CCFL" used as a backlight in these TVs is naturally inefficient (dim). As a result, he said, the current to the lamps is being boosted to give competitive brightness and that this kills the life of the lamps. This means that these sets will get dim very quickly, and he was told with a nudge and a wink to stick to TVs with a standard CCFL.

Sounds surprising to me. Could Sony be causing their top-of-the-line sets to fade out faster?

He also sent me this shot of the labeling on a set with this WCG CCFL to show me the color gamut. He explained that the color extension takes you into color areas that are not necessarily important (even outside the NTSC triangle) but that the gamut doesn't cover the whole of the gamut of standard TVs (the gap to the right of the red triangle and to the left of the turquoise triangle). These TVs, he said, have bad yellows and unnatural gamut structure.

Interested in hearing comments from those more knowledgeable than me.
LL
Nahon is offline  
post #198 of 7819 Old 06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Member
 
supraman x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Matteson , IL
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahon View Post

A friend of mine in Japan told me that he'd heard from a friend of his that the "Wide Color Gamut CCFL" used as a backlight in these TVs is naturally inefficient (dim). As a result, he said, the current to the lamps is being boosted to give competitive brightness and that this kills the life of the lamps. This means that these sets will get dim very quickly, and he was told with a nudge and a wink to stick to TVs with a standard CCFL.

Sounds surprising to me. Could Sony be causing their top-of-the-line sets to fade out faster?

He also sent me this shot of the labeling on a set with this WCG CCFL to show me the color gamut. He explained that the color extension takes you into color areas that are not necessarily important (even outside the NTSC triangle) but that the gamut doesn't cover the whole of the gamut of standard TVs (the gap to the right of the red triangle and to the left of the turquoise triangle). These TVs, he said, have bad yellows and unnatural gamut structure.

Interested in hearing comments from those more knowledgeable than me.

thats interesting
supraman x is offline  
post #199 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MUGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
we have no idea how long these new models will last because we don't have the final specs yet and it looks like sony doesn't show how long the tv's last anymore. also that picture is outdated the japan x series has 102% ntsc color gamut.
MUGEN is offline  
post #200 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Luvrbcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think the optional bezels for the XBR2 will work on the 40" XBR1?
Luvrbcs is offline  
post #201 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
MUGEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 1,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvrbcs View Post

Do you think the optional bezels for the XBR2 will work on the 40" XBR1?

no
MUGEN is offline  
post #202 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Luvrbcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bummer.
Luvrbcs is offline  
post #203 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
samuraitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post

SD source:




Is that really how SD looks on this TV? SD looks horrible on my Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000. Does that mean DVD's will look better too? I've been disappointed at the upscaling from 480i to 720p.
samuraitech is offline  
post #204 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Samuraitech, keep in mind that that's British SD via a digital broadcast of some sort. Digital standard def in the UK is 576i rather than 480i.

Quote:


A friend of mine in Japan told me that he'd heard from a friend of his that the "Wide Color Gamut CCFL" used as a backlight in these TVs is naturally inefficient (dim). As a result, he said, the current to the lamps is being boosted to give competitive brightness and that this kills the life of the lamps.

That's the first I've heard about that. Even if it's true, if you're running one of these TVs at full backlight intensity it's probably going to look terrible and have truly milky black levels. I run my 32" BRAVIA in Power Saving mode with a fairly low backlight setting. That way, the overall light output is far closer to a CRT or Plasma and flaws in the video are by far harder to spot (they're not being lit up).

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
lyris is offline  
post #205 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 03:16 PM
MES
Member
 
MES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

Samuraitech, keep in mind that that's British SD via a digital broadcast of some sort. Digital standard def in the UK is 576i rather than 480i.



Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....thx for clearing that up.
MES is offline  
post #206 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Even with that in mind though, that is incredibly good SD performance.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
lyris is offline  
post #207 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Newbie
 
Nahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

we have no idea how long these new models will last because we don't have the final specs yet and it looks like sony doesn't show how long the tv's last anymore.

Inherently my question on lifetime also applies to the XBR1.
Nahon is offline  
post #208 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Newbie
 
samuraitech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

Samuraitech, keep in mind that that's British SD via a digital broadcast of some sort. Digital standard def in the UK is 576i rather than 480i.

Ok, that makes sense. I have seen that resolution before, but did not realize that it was the British market that utilized it. Thank you for the info.
samuraitech is offline  
post #209 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

Even with that in mind though, that is incredibly good SD performance.

You can say that again. Two thumbs up for SD.....
Chris J is offline  
post #210 of 7819 Old 06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
svalentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't wait for the 40" XBR3!
svalentine is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl V32xbr2 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off